Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Pajero Sports 4*4 Manual OR Pajero Sports AT (2*4)
Auto Transmission 2*4 17 36.17%
Manual Transmission 4*4 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 20:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?

I have personally seen a Pajero Sport driven by an unskilled driver and needed manpower support to be pushed out of a tight situation. The 4x4 really helped along with the push.

A 2wd suv will be a sorry sight if u need a push (AT or not). If you are upgrading from a Tjet then an suv will indulge you and encourage you to explore offbeat tracks, and when you do that, getting stuck is not very difficult(and im not even talking about offroading ). Then, you would wish you had a 4wd(AT or not).
A 2wd suv is nothing but a car on stilts.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 30th November 2014 at 20:38.
Old 30th November 2014, 21:01   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

A 2wd suv will be a sorry sight if u need a push (AT or not). If you are upgrading from a Tjet then an suv will indulge you and encourage you to explore offbeat tracks, and when you do that, getting stuck is not very difficult(and im not even talking about offroading ). Then, you would wish you had a 4wd(AT or not).
A 2wd suv is nothing but a car on stilts.
Its becoming more and more tougher for me to make the choice, although on the face of it, it appears obvious that the 4X4 is the way to go. I am hoping that the next test drive would really make it swing me away from the AT (which i am currently leaning towards). Its going to be a real long test drive for the MT in the city this time around.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:04   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Another question that i am hoping this forum would help me address is whether 2X2 would at the least, offer some light offroading or the 2.5 ton weight of the Pajero would override any light slush /wet gravel conditions. An easy example that comes to my mind is driving on Ladakhi stretches (roads or otherwise) in April. Some of my reading on other blogs/international sites suggests that such cars can do it, provided driven properly. A first hand experience of folks on this forum would be comforting as well.
I mostly use my Pajero Sport in 4x2, during the usual rough roads in the city or highway. During my drive in hilly areas or during heavy rains I switch to 4x4 just for that added traction. Switching to 4x4 gives the vehicle more grip which through the vibrations it sends you makes you more confident. I can still drive the vehicle in 4x2 but then if you compare both the modes side by side by switching them in these conditions, you yourself would not like to drive in 4x2. 4x4 is that good and gives you that confidence.

If you're taking a MT test drive, experience it for yourself by shifting it on the fly from 4x2 to 4x4. You'll get an idea on what I'm talking about.

Now that said, if you don't have 4x4 you anyways don't feel what it provides and you get used to 4x2 and it'll still get you where you wanted in those kind of stretches.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:27   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Another question that i am hoping this forum would help me address is whether 2X2 would at the least, offer some light offroading or the 2.5 ton weight of the Pajero would override any light slush /wet gravel conditions. An easy example that comes to my mind is driving on Ladakhi stretches (roads or otherwise) in April. Some of my reading on other blogs/international sites suggests that such cars can do it, provided driven properly. A first hand experience of folks on this forum would be comforting as well.
Hariya (my 2wd Scorpio CRDe) has been to the back of beyond Ladakh thrice and once to Kaza in Feb. All these places are 4WD territory but we were able to make it because we understood each other in terms of capabilities and limitations.

While a 4WD is definitely better than a 2WD vehicle, it doesn't offer more than, say, 5% in terms of sheer value in most user scenarios. For example, you can very well go to Ladakh in a 2WD SUV in April, but in case you have the urge to ascend that unseen trail, with a 2WD, you need to be cautious.

In my example, while I was able to go to Sangla and come back in snow, we were stuck while trying to reach Chitkul because I did not have power to all 4 wheels and had to turn back. I could have, however, rented a local 4WD pick up if I wanted to, to continue my journey.

So, it is the last mile that a 4WD helps to cover.

How important is it is a personal requirement.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:25   #125
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Another question that i am hoping this forum would help me address is whether 2X2 would at the least, offer some light offroading or the 2.5 ton weight of the Pajero would override any light slush /wet gravel conditions.
Know her limits and she'll take you much further than any hatch/sedan. But it's best not to be too adventurous with a 4x2 as it can be a big problem if a vehicle of Pajero's proportions gets stuck somewhere off the road. Get some All-terrain tyres, it'll help.

About Ladakh stretches, I think the Pajero must be able to handle it easily. Don't sweat, even hatchbacks and Sedans do the stretch(not sure about alternate "of the beaten path" routes). Again, know her limits and you'll be safe.

There's nothing that beats of the convenience of an AT.
Old 1st December 2014, 19:17   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its becoming more and more tougher for me to make the choice, although on the face of it, it appears obvious that the 4X4 is the way to go. I am hoping that the next test drive would really make it swing me away from the AT (which i am currently leaning towards). Its going to be a real long test drive for the MT in the city this time around.
Many people I know have graduated from sedans to SUVs and bought 2WD ones thinking that they would not need 4WD. Then they gradually started pushing the boundaries till they realised that there are still places worth visiting that cannot be done 2WD vehicles during certain times of the year. They felt helpless at that time. IMO it is better to buy a 4x4 rather than regret later.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:24   #127

Requesting feedback on Isuzu mu7

Hi,
i have an ex showroom budget of Rs35 lakh (insurance, registration extra) and wish to Buy a seven seater SUV.
Considered Fortuner, Pajero, Endeavour and Isuzu mu7. Finally confused between Fortuner and Isuzu mu7. Both have their own pluses and minuses. Moreover, other than official reviews available on the web, there is no feedback from any mu7 user.

Would request any relevant opinion on Isuzu mu7 from the experts here so that i can make a choice. Isuzu has one dealer in Navi Mumbai and I stay in Mumbai. However the isuzu guy told me they are close to appointing dealers in Mumbai, Pune, Nasik and Nagpur.

Note from Moderator: Post moved to existing discussion thread. Please SEARCH before creating threads on topics which exist. Also, there were several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd December 2014 at 11:29. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:10   #128
D4D
BHPian

Re: Requesting feedback on Isuzu mu7

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2014 at 16:50.
D4D is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:40   #129
BANNED

Re: Requesting feedback on Isuzu mu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasygreat View Post
However the isuzu guy told me they are close to appointing dealers in Mumbai, Pune, Nasik and Nagpur.
Isuzu will soon kick up an extensive expansion plan to appoint more dealers since their manufacturing unit is about to get ready to start production.

I would not recommend the MU-7 over the Fortuner but I do not recommend the Fortuner at all.
In fact, I would recommend a good, pre owned Innova over the Fortuner.
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:43   #130
BHPian

Just to close my decision making loop, the poll shows 80 percent favouring the 4x4. I have taken 4 long test drives with a good mix of city, clean stretches of OMR and ECR ( those from chennai will relate to it), narrow bylanes and a bit of beach driving as well. Thus my homework has been a mix of practicals and wisdom of the forum.

My overall take away from the responses and replies by each of you strongly indicates the preference should be for 4x4. Having said this and after a lot of thought about by needs, usage, driving preferences etc and the primary reason for going in for a 7 seater (Combined with the kick of owning a Pajero brand) I have taken the plunge to go in for an Automatic.

It's been a choice of heart winning over head on the Mitsubishi and the head winning over heart on the AT vs MT and a consequence of both these choices being that, I live with (perhaps) a sub optimal 2x4 as against a perfect world 4x4. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi has ensured that i won't get the best of both(AT with a 4x4).

The hard realisation came when on the 2 occasions I did the MT test drive, I actually asked the driver to take over 3/4th the way into the test drive. However on the AT, I ended up stretching the test drive, that I was enjoying so much. Even 2 trips of about 20 Km city driving in each of the tests left me with the same conclusion. It's the daily commute convenience with such a "huge guy" that left me wanting an automatic. I also asked myself if at the end of the 2 MT test drives, I would have bought a PS at all. Honestly, the answer seemed NO. So in a sense that was the tipping point. The flip side of course is that I need to be conscious of what my PS can and cannot do in bad terrain and/or high speed runs on highways, in the absence of 4x4's.

Thanks a ton for all the inputs guys and assuming the paperwork etc goes fine I should be joining the Pajero owners here by Day 1 of 2015 !!

For the records, I have been negotiating with Maya motors and Sairam in chennai. I have given the booking cheque to Sairam. Landed price is 27.90 on road with insurance being picked up by dealer at a whooping 91k. However, I have convinced the dealer that he needs to match the premium that I get from outside. Royal sundaram has indicated it to be in the range of 60k for a bumper to bumper, with no exclusions (yet to get the fine print in hand). If that goes through well, landed price should be 27.60 lacs.

Colour choice has been difficult as well. While all of us like black, it ultimately comes back to long term maintenance of black vs other shades. I have struggled to ensure that my hip hop black tjet stays that black with great difficulty. For the first time in 15 years since I started owning cars, my Tjet sleeps on the road with no roof over its head. It's a terrible feeling, but I am learning to cope. In this situation, another black is gut wrenching. But my 2 boys and the Mrs will not have any of it :( So against my suggested alternative color of white, the choice has been made to stick to black. The action on me therefore is to move houses quickly and rent out a flat which has covered car parking for my 2 babies ! Hopefully it won't take me too long !
vinay_ss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:55   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My overall take away from the responses and replies by each of you strongly indicates the preference should be for 4x4. Having said this and after a lot of thought about by needs, usage, driving preferences etc and the primary reason for going in for a 7 seater (Combined with the kick of owning a Pajero brand) I have taken the plunge to go in for an Automatic.
Congrats on your new ride. Off late the Pajero Sports has really been making the rounds on the forum. I think your decision to go for an AT is correct. 4x4 is only for serious off roading. For everywhere else, 4x2 will suffice. With the ever increasing city traffic an AT is so much more desirable. And to be honest with the comfort of an AT, even long highway drives leave you a lot fresher than it would have with a MT.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:28   #132
BHPian

Hello

This is my first post on the forum but not a day goes by without coming back here. Have been following this thread for a while now. Thank you guys for all the inputs.

Some day soon hope to get my hands on the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4 X 4.

Congratulations Vinay ss for your upcoming ride. Wish you a zillion trouble free miles on it.

Quick question - Any deals available for the 4 x 4 / 4 x 2 or did I miss reading that part else where on the thread. Sorry if that is the case.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2014, 10:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
Hello

Congratulations Vinay ss for your upcoming ride. Wish you a zillion trouble free miles on it.

Quick question - Any deals available for the 4 x 4 / 4 x 2 or did I miss reading that part else where on the thread. Sorry if that is the case.

Cheers
Thanks for the wishes Anvara. The Automatic is a new car and hence there are no discounts per se. However after a lot of haggling, the dealer is not charging me the handling charges of 15k and he is passing on insurance discount that the dealers get to me.
Old 5th December 2014, 11:43   #134
BHPian

Thanks vinay_ss

As expected no discounts on the 4 x 2. Did you by any chance ask for the offers available on the 4 x 4? Would be interesting to know for my future purchase.

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:41   #135
BHPian

As an update, the Pajero Sport AT came home last evening. Went in for a Deep Mica Blue shade over the white. It was a different kind of buying experience for me with the Mitsubishi dealer ! The quick 2 line summary, i had to wait for 2 weeks since the ARAI certificate provided by HM was yet to be registered with the TN RTO, to enable new car registrations.

Some of the good tit-bits and feel good factors for me -
a) Apparently (and i have every reason to believe so as well ! ) - this is the first PS AT sold in Chennai
b)I got a 2015 VIN car and took delivery on the first day of 2015
c)The car price has gone up by 85k since yesterday, but i got approx 85k discount over 2014 price (After a humongous amount of haggling)
d)This is my first car outside of the FIAT family ! I have always owned only Fiats and in general am not a ardent fan of Japanese cars, but the PS turned out to be the sole exception and for the right reasons for me (build, sturdiness, big feel etc)

I would pen a buying experience and first feel separately. For now, wanted to thank the forum for the help and feedback i got. As far as the poll goes, i have gone against the tide But that's the best part of this Forum. You get wide views and experiences and then you can make an informed decision basis your own datapoints and facts and feedback gathered from the folks here.

For now here are some pics of the car, just to show the deep mica blue shade, till more pics can be posted onto my buying experience thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-img_20141203_141703208.jpg  

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-img_20141203_141623426.jpg  

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-img_20141203_141642223.jpg  

vinay_ss is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed