Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 18:56   #1

New Nissan X-Trail or Pre-owned (low mileage) Freelander 2

A dilemma that i got myself into, i was all set to pick up a new Nissan Xtrail A/T with an on-road price tag of 32l and i just got to know about a very low mileage one year old Freelander 2 at almost the same price. I called the LR dealer and figured out that the new FL2 coming soon will be about 47l on road while they have the current model(outgoing) at a discounted price of 43l.

With a nearly 10l price diff between a new Xtrail AT and a real low mileage extremely good condition FL2 what would you recommend? We are looking at really long highway drives apart from the usual city driving. Love the large sunroof in both these cars and they are both understated, hence staying away from the X1,Q3 etc... Thanks a lot
Old 20th February 2013, 20:05   #2
BHPian

re: New Nissan X-Trail or Pre-owned (low mileage) Freelander 2

Well... My friend! I would advise you to go for the Land Rover Freelander 2 since it is a superior product to the X-Trail in almost every parameter and I'm sure it would provide a better driving experience to you and as you mentioned, discount is being given to you, then why delay! Have you any got discounts on X-Trail? I think no. And since new model is around, you could push the LR dealers even further for more discounts. Basically, If you can resist the temptation of owning a new model, then go for Freelander without second doubt else go for the boxy, bug eyed X-Trail. Choice is yours!

P.S. If you are keen on only these two models, then I've given my advice else update your criteria.

Secondly, If not these, then why not try Koleos? Looks are subjective but you may like it as well. Anyhow, keep us updated about your decision. All the best for your decision!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 20th February 2013 at 20:06.
S@ndy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 20:41   #3
BHPian

Land Rover SUVs are some of the best rated ones in present years and for good reason. Innovation within the company is currently the go word. In a Land Rover dominated market such as the UK, a Freelander makes great sense, it's a well engineered product and has an extensive service network backing it up. Here in India, a Freelander, that too used, and yet upwards of Rs 30 lac makes less sense than a brand new vehicle you can buy in that price bracket. Needless to say, the X-Trail will fulfill all your requirements plus some more. It's imported in CBU form from Japan that ensures great quality. Here in Delhi, the X-Trail AT is less than 30 lac on the road, and I'd say that being brand new, it outweighs a used Freelander. If you can stretch to a new Freelander, then that might make more sense, but it won't bring any added capability in comparison to the X-Trail for all it's extra cost.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:50   #4

Thanks S@ndy, I have tried the Koleos, it did drive well but I am not so keen of its looks, I prefer the old fashioned boxy look. I think I wasn't clear in my original post, the choice is between a new Xtrail AT or a one year old low mileage FL2 and not a new one from the LR dealer.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have to ask the inevitable question. Do you need an SUV. If not, wouldn't a sedanmake more sense comfort wise and in driving practicality.

You haven't really stated your requirements well, but between the two options, the freelander is a better deal as you are getting a 45 lakh car at 32-35 with a large part of the depreciation taken care of.

Please check the used vehicle carefully though. If there are any red flags, stick with the new xtrail.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 22:19   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshdreams View Post
A dilemma that i got myself into, i was all set to pick up a new Nissan Xtrail A/T with an on-road price tag of 32l and i just got to know about a very low mileage one year old Freelander 2 at almost the same price. I called the LR dealer and figured out that the new FL2 coming soon will be about 47l on road while they have the current model(outgoing) at a discounted price of 43l.

With a nearly 10l price diff between a new Xtrail AT and a real low mileage extremely good condition FL2 what would you recommend? We are looking at really long highway drives apart from the usual city driving. Love the large sunroof in both these cars and they are both understated, hence staying away from the X1,Q3 etc... Thanks a lot
The Freelander any day!
And once you buy it, come to Bangalore and let me drive it!
Jokes apart, it is an absolute no brainer. The Freelander has far more soul than the X Trail can ever have, even if it does a deal with the Devil a la Doc Faustus. One year old, low mileage, decent price - these things tick all the requisite boxes!
Just do it, a la Nike!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 22:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a Freelander 2 CBU 2010 with 29k on the odo...and I can tell you - there is no point comparing an orange to an apple !!

The Freelander is a dream & a hoot to drive - the X-Trail (the new one) does not appeal visually, as well as on the price front..though it is a great machine in it's own right.

I have an offer of 32 for the Freelander. So do not think, just buy !! Even mine if you wish :-)

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 22:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
I have a Freelander 2 CBU 2010 with 29k on the odo...and I can tell you - there is no point comparing an orange to an apple !!

The Freelander is a dream & a hoot to drive - the X-Trail (the new one) does not appeal visually, as well as on the price front..though it is a great machine in it's own right.

I have an offer of 32 for the Freelander. So do not think, just buy !! Even mine if you wish :-)

Cheers
Glad to hear from you, I had read your review sometime back and had that in mind. Also glad to hear that your FL has an offer that good!! So it appears I am inching closer to the FL2.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:17   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshdreams View Post
So it appears I am inching closer to the FL2.
While I too would buy the FL-2 over the X-Trail, keep in mind the high service costs associated with it which could pinch your pocket if done at the ASC.

I was told that a normal service of the FL-2 including oil changes costs around 34k INR once a year. This did not include any other replacements except oils and filters.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
While I too would buy the FL-2 over the X-Trail, keep in mind the high service costs associated with it which could pinch your pocket if done at the ASC.

I was told that a normal service of the FL-2 including oil changes costs around 34k INR once a year. This did not include any other replacements except oils and filters.
Thanks Devdath, i have heard that the service costs is about 25k. i hope there are no other surprises. Ricky- anything to add from experience?
Old 21st February 2013, 14:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:

My vote too lies with the Freelander. I haven't done a comparison of the maintenance costs of these two cars, but won't the X-Trail have a similar cost as the FL-2?
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:21   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
My vote too lies with the Freelander. I haven't done a comparison of the maintenance costs of these two cars, but won't the X-Trail have a similar cost as the FL-2?
The X-Trail will be at least 50% cheaper to maintain, if not more. Remember the fact that the trump card of the Japs is their easy maintenance.

This is an interesting situation to be in...!!
Old 21st February 2013, 14:23   #13
BHPian

Re: New Nissan X-Trail or Pre-owned (low mileage) Freelander 2

Had been to JLR showroom very recently to checkout the new FL2. The sales person, whom I found to be very well informed, mentioned that the servicing cost of FL is around 15k only while that of the Evoque is something like 40k!! The new FL2 gets LEDs (if you care), electric seats (good option), Meridian music system (sounded very nice) amongst other things.
The 0-100 kmph comes in 6 seconds for the FL, which is sports-car like. I like it
ashtorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:31   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Nissan X-Trail or Pre-owned (low mileage) Freelander 2

A dilemma indeed. The Nissan X-Trail is an extremely competent soft-roader that can do nearly everything on the road that the Freelander can. Both of them are fairly similar in terms of a good ride, handling (by SUV standards), performance, space etc.

A new Freelander isn't worth it at all; it's too over-priced for what's on offer.

However, a used Freelander - that too a nearly new example - isn't a bad idea. Just make sure this is the higher HP version (they sold the Freelander in two states of tune). Get the price further down by 2 lakhs and its a deal.

Good news for you is, the Freelander is quite reliable. It's got a lot of "Ford" in it (including the Mondeo platform).

Quote:
Remember the fact that the trump card of the Japs is their easy maintenance.
Not in this case. The X-Trail is a CBU and its parts / maintenance are quite expensive. Then, you have the horrid Nissan service to deal with.

While the Freelander's maintenance will be expensive, the X-Trail isn't exactly cheap either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
The 0-100 kmph comes in 6 seconds for the FL
No chance, not from a 4-banger with <200 BHP and all that weight. The 0 - 100 is in the range of 10 seconds.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2013 at 14:33.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:35   #15
BHPian

Spare parts has been an issue with X Trail. Always in short supply. Freelander is rich in features and comfort too.
And then, going around town in a Freelander is a different feel altogether.
If you are taking the car through finance, the interest rate for a pre owned car is high, and the loan term is less too.
Rameshdude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks