Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2006, 15:22   #1
BHPian

SUV for 14 LACs

Hi,

My parents are looking for a SUV in the price range or 14- 15 Lacs. We were considering the Ford Endeavour but Aseem suggests that they are launching a new engine in the ford. If you guys can help out, it will be great. The requirement is mostly 60% Urban driving and 40% outdoor(Off road) driving.

Thanks,
Preet
Old 18th May 2006, 15:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings
Hi,

My parents are looking for a SUV in the price range or 14- 15 Lacs. We were considering the Ford Endeavour but Aseem suggests that they are launching a new engine in the ford. If you guys can help out, it will be great. The requirement is mostly 60% Urban driving and 40% outdoor(Off road) driving.

Thanks,
Preet
Well there are not many options in that segment at that price point:
Honda CR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Ford Endeavour
Tata Safari
Chevrolet Forrestor (probably discontinued now)

I presume you must have done some preliminary analysis on them. Would you like to share your thoughts on the SUVs listed above and why you initially chose the Ford over the others ?
Old 18th May 2006, 15:31   #3
BHPian

hi

Thanks for the quick response shuvc. why i selected ford was because of its Massive size and diesel. However, I have heard that it doesnot have the power it should have, so the new engine thought. Tucson, I would say wont be much of a Off-roader(Thats my view). Safari i do not like. So, you can see I am kinda stuck here
Old 18th May 2006, 15:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

When is a heart transplant due for Endy? I heard they are coming out with a CRDI mill soon.... I personally like the looks of Endy and the road presence, but find it grossly underpowered.
It all depends on what you like and what factors are important for you. Each and every vehicle has its own strengths, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited by aseem : 18th May 2006 at 15:33.
Old 19th May 2006, 08:19   #5
mxx
BHPian

Endevour is too under-powered. Personally i woudnt go for it. My personal fav in this segment it Honda CRV.
Old 19th May 2006, 09:35   #6
BHPian

i don't think the new endeavour will be launched this year ... the current engine is a little underpowered for the massive 2ton hulk ... but if it comes to that safari is not much better off than the endeavour with 115bhp ...

honda cr-v is obviously the best for the urban run around ... it'll handle the dirt tracks too , but not the rocks !!!
Old 19th May 2006, 11:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

IF you can wait for an SUV within 14lacs for a month or two then you can have a look at Mitsubishi OUtlander. Its currently outselling both CRV and Toyota RAV4 since its release.

Ford Endeavour is an excellent product with great design and Off-road capability. But The interiors are too outdated for a 14lacs plus car. Also the engine is outright puny for the heavy monster. If you are totally charmed by the endeavour then you can wait for the updated CRDi version but only if the interiors are upgraded.

otherwise at present Hyundai tucson takes the cake.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
otherwise at present Hyundai tucson takes the cake.
@devarshi - last time u seemed to be inclined towards the endy - do i see a change of heart here
Old 19th May 2006, 14:48   #9
BHPian

Hey dude wait,I think Mitsubishi is going to launch Outlander in sep.....
and the new engine for Endeavour is expected on 2007!Toyota is going to launch a SUV at 12L-14L,even Hyundai....
Old 19th May 2006, 15:51   #10
BHPian

Isn't Toyota going to launch the fortuner at 12-14 lakh sometime soon?
It was all over the auto mags a few months ago.
Old 19th May 2006, 21:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_cool87
Hey dude wait,I think Mitsubishi is going to launch Outlander in sep.....
and the new engine for Endeavour is expected on 2007!Toyota is going to launch a SUV at 12L-14L,even Hyundai....
Outlander was supposed to come within the first half 2006 but HM wisely decided to wait for the latest model thats making uproars against competition. hence it is expected to be in showrooms latest by EnD 2006

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1450

Accumulated sales of 18,921 put new Outlander at the top of the 6-month October-March SUV sales chart, ahead of the Toyota Harrier and Toyota RAV4; Outlander was also top seller in November, December and February. Outlander’s closest rivals (Toyota RAV4 and Nissan X-Trail) each registered over 4,000 fewer sales than Outlander, which outsells the Honda CR-V by more than three-to-one. With an original sales target of 2,000 per month, new Outlander’s to-date sales figure represents an achievement rate of almost 160%.

http://www.askaprice.com/torque-arti...rget&item=1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
@devarshi - last time u seemed to be inclined towards the endy - do i see a change of heart here
Yes, I am still inclined towards Endy If its me buying the car dude.
But I am giving the suggestion thinking from the buyers perspective.. Everybody dont want a vtec, right?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 19th May 2006 at 21:04.
Old 19th May 2006, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
I took Mr.Grewal for a test drive today.... our first stop was Ford showroom, Mr.Preet was totally blown by the looks of Endy. However our joy was shortlived. As soon as we entered the car, the interiors were a shock to us, Maruti 800 can give this car serious competition in regards to interiors (exageration but we were realllyyyyyy disapointed).
Than Preet drove the car for a while, in traffic as it was rush hour time. He said the car didnt feel that slugish, which we were hoping, but I could feel the difference, as I drive a Swift and he drives a Scorpio. For me the car was really underpowered. Than we shifted seats and I drove the car. The clutch was tight, and the gear shift was not at all smooth. It was a total disapointment for me, I had to keep reminding myself, that I am looking great for people who are watching me from outside.
The car salesman was telling us that the car sells like 30 a month in his showroom alone. Blah blah blah.... I was dejected, Ford is taking India for a ride... Shame on Ford for giving us such a pathetic and old product for such a premium price.
Next Stop!!! Honda showroom. Now Mr.Grewal is a diesel head, he has a diesel fixation, he can afford 14 lakhs, but he cant afford the price difference between petrol and diesel. It makes me wonder, how am I affording to run on my petrol cars.... but boondh boondh se sumundar nahi bante, aise baatein kitaabon mein achi lagti hai.
Having said that we went for a test drive of Honda CRV Petrol automatic. We were little dissapointed by the smalish looks of the car in comparison to Endy, but as soon as we stepped in we found it very welcome. Honda really does a great job on interiors. Driving the car, we fell in love with it, it was everything that endy is not, its powerful, its manouverable, its refined, its got great interiors and gave you a feeling of 15 lakhs well spend. However the sales guy told us that the cars only problem is mileage is around 8, he suggested that we should go for test drive of Tucson as that car is more current, has got TCS and gives diesel economy and CRV comfort.
We havent test driven the Tucson yet, but I find the Hyundai badge a lil cheap for a 15 lakh car.... my vote is for CRV but we have to drive the Tucson.
What say guys???
Old 19th May 2006, 23:12   #13
Team-BHP Support

I was disappointed with the CRV but then my regular car is the Octy RS. What about the Grand Vitara? I suspect the Tuscon will be better VFM than the CRV.
Old 19th May 2006, 23:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Tucson...no doubt. Its just a wonderful car/SUV. Would also be a lil cheap on the pocket being a Hyundai.
Old 19th May 2006, 23:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

what is the tucson priced at ex showroom mumbai?

manson.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed