Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:46   #1
M35
BHPian

For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi

A 2012 model Tavera Neo 2 or brand new Chevrolet Enjoy or Ertiga for Taxi:

One of my relatives is looking for a 7-seater to be used as Taxi in Kerala.

He happened to come across a 2012 model Chevrolet Tavera Neo 2 variant LS or LT [Private Reg] with 30k km on ODO at an asking price of 7.70Lakhs without any scope for negotiation. The vehicle seems to be in good condition. I know that Tavera Neo 2 has been discontinued by Chevrolet in India.

Is it worth considering? Or does it make sense to go for any base variant of brand new Enjoy or Ertiga as basically his requirement [in terms of features] is Power windows, Power steering and AC

Your suggestions are very valuable and much appreciated.

Last edited by M35 : 2nd June 2013 at 17:48. Reason: spell check
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35

One of my relatives is looking for a 7-seater to be used as Taxi in Kerala.......

Your suggestions are very valuable and much appreciated.
IMO, a new Ertiga base variant would do over used and discontinued Tavera. There are many Ertiga taxis found in Kerala and the running costs are relatively less, as per a reliable source from travel industry. For safety, even base diesel variants comes with ABS.

Moreover, the resale value too should be on higher side for Ertiga.

I have no idea about 'Enjoy'

On a different note, 8 seaters are preferred in Kerala package tour industry.

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2013 at 17:40. Reason: Typos
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 18:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

One of my relatives is looking for a 7-seater to be used as Taxi in Kerala.
As a 7 seater and presumably 'tourist taxi' application you cant go wrong with the Tavera if Innova is out of your reach. It's a proper 7/8/10 seater according to the variant.
The Ertiga LDi can be looked upon as an alternative to a hatch or sedan , but can't be put towards the rigorous usage that MUV taxis are usually undergone. But it compensates with higher FE. The Enjoy, well i leave it out to the rest of the members considering it's suspect roots.
7.70lacs is a good price for an year old private Tavera LT.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi

Though the Xylo is more spacious than the Innova, cab owners who bought one were faced with a dilemma : No one asked for it! Customers simply didn't want a Xylo.

The Ertiga feels way nicer & more premium than the Enjoy or the Tavera. Your friend's customer base would be wider with the Ertiga too; urban'ites wouldn't mind renting an Ertiga, but they could give a thumbs down to the Tavera (Enjoy doesn't figure here as no one's heard of it).

It's got reliable mechanicals underneath, has a fuel-efficient engine, offers the most driver comfort and is backed by Maruti service. My money would be on the Ertiga.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:24   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

As a comfortable 7 seater - theres nothing that beats the Xylo / Innova. Considering your budget - the Xylo seems to be the best option. However this is not in your list.

The Ertiga seems to be the best option here - its modern, spacious and has all the features that you require. Add to that Maruti's wide dealership network and trouble-free ownership.

The only drawback with the Tavera is that its old and outdated and I believe its even discontinued. And you may not get all the features in the LS model (especially rear a/c vents).

The Enjoy - well you have to wait till this car picks up sales and there is an ownership review. Even then, the Enjoy looks too basic compared to the Ertiga.

My suggestion - close your eyes and go for the Ertiga.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

For a 7 seater Taxi Space is of prime importance. In that case, I think Enjoy is a good option. The Xylo is also a good option, but I am not sure about Ertiga. Yes it is comfrortable and more premium but If you are looking for something rugged & Durable, I would advise you to look elsewhere. You cant expect customers to treat the car like their own.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

My vote would be for Ertiga. From a customer perspective if I had to choose a taxi between Tavera & Ertiga, I would prefer the Ertiga. It is quite comfortable, Engine is pretty smooth and I do not feel the vociferous appeals of the engine. Seats are much more welcoming than the tavera.

Go for Ertiga else Xylo is a good option.
ku69rd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:20   #8
BHPian

My vote goes for Ertiga as well. Sometime back happened to see an Enjoy and did not enjoy the looks much!
I had taken a test drive of Ertiga with 7 passengers and adding a roof-rack for luggage should do the trick.
Go for Ertiga. :-)
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

My question is, with the limited seating capacity of the Ertiga (read 5 adults + 2 children) is it even to be considered. Practically speaking, the Ertiga is Driver + 3 adults + 2 chidren vehicle. It cannot match a Tavera with respect to space. However if the application involves lower number of passengers, Ertiga wins hands down.

On a different note, since you are considering a Enjoy, why not an Evalia??
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 10:38   #10
BHPian

Is the vehicle to be used for heavy commercial usage ?

If yes go for the Tavera.

1. The Isuzu engine is a workhorse 30K is nothing for it.
It is worth several Lakh Km and hence has lot of life left in it.

2. Is fuel efficient and takes abuse easily.
I assume it will not be driven by the owner.
So factor in rough usage by drivers. And potholed roads in Kerla.

3. The engine does not have High pressure common rail
like Ertiga or Xylo. This is a good thing because it makes
the engine less sensitive to fuel quality. If the vehicle
gets refueled in interior areas fuel quality can be suspect.

4. Body on chassis construction with rear wheel drive via
hotchkiss drive ( as seen on Tavera and even Xylo )
is inherently more abuse friendly and robust than the
monocoque transaxle CV joint setup seen in Ertiga.
( Has it adavantages too but may not be relevant
in your use case.)
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 18:53   #11
M35
BHPian

Thanks all of you for your valuable suggestions:
Update:
Just got a call and he said there is an Ertiga Zxi available around
  • 2013 January
  • 5000km on ODO
  • Taxi registration
  • Asking price: 8.25 Lakhs
I guess Zxi is the top end variant but Petrol. Could this be considered ?
Old 7th June 2013, 20:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Petrol[/b]. Could this be considered ?
Like i said if it's as an alternative to the Indicab/Indigo type cars then its best option. But for typical 7 seater tourist taxi application in Kerala, Tavera it is.
ZXi? Petrol? You gotta be kidding unless it's some kind of high end tourist taxi for 5 star hotel or airport runs. The diesel ameks sense anyday over the petrol Ertiga especially as a taxi.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 21:08   #13
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all of you for your valuable suggestions:
Update:
Just got a call and he said there is an Ertiga Zxi available around
I guess Zxi is the top end variant but Petrol. Could this be considered ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
ZXi? Petrol? You gotta be kidding unless it's some kind of high end tourist taxi for 5 star hotel or airport runs. The diesel ameks sense anyday over the petrol Ertiga especially as a taxi.
Oops.I just called him back.Its Zdi not Zxi. Sorry for that.
A Top end diesel, just about 5000km done and a 2013 model at 8.25Lakh.
I have actually asked him to go and examine the car at a MASS. He is not planning to run a full time taxi business. He is sort of planning to get customers from Resorts/High end hotels around Munnar as and when available.
Old 7th June 2013, 21:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops.I just called him back.Its Zdi not Zxi. Sorry for that.
A Top end diesel, just about 5000km done and a 2013 model at 8.25Lakh.
I have actually asked him to go and examine the car at a MASS. He is not planning to run a full time taxi business. He is sort of planning to get customers from Resorts/High end hotels around Munnar as and when available.
Oh, part time taxi business. So he will be using it for his private use as well as for taxi purposes. Typical NRI usage
For high end hotel usage, especially as a 5 seater then Ertiga ZDI is a very good option.
(Let the gurus shed light on how Ertiga will perform on the munnar roads.)
Old 19th July 2013, 20:23   #15
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Oh, part time taxi business. So he will be using it for his private use as well as for taxi purposes. Typical NRI usage

Update:

Took back to back test drives of Chevrolet Enjoy and Maruti Ertiga. Didn’t have to think much to go in for Ertiga, though it has a cramped third row. Except that I thought Ertiga to be a much better and refined vehicle.Booked a white ZDi [Top end] with an extended two year warranty.
Accessories to be fitted before delivery:
  • Floor mat -2800
  • Seat covers, MGA- 7500
  • Rear spoiler- 5500
  • Parking sensors-2800
  • Foot mat-1950
  • Rain guards-1040
Update:
Got delivered the white Ertiga Zdi[Top end] yesterday.

For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi-dsc_0837.jpg

For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi-dsc_0871.jpg

Last edited by M35 : 19th July 2013 at 20:37.
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed