Team-BHP - Safari Storme 4X4 or XUV AWD?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Safari Storme 4X4 or XUV AWD? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/137538-safari-storme-4x4-xuv-awd.html)

Hi team BHP-ians

This is my first post and I am starting off with a query.

I am looking to buy a 4X4 SUV, and am vacillating between the Storme 4X4 and the XUV AWD. Both cars have a similar on-road price in Gurgaon, the Mahindra is slightly pricier. To describe my usage, other than the customary 1000-1200 km in the city, I head out to the hills every one-one and a half months. Also, i have the habit of looking for off beat locations whose terrain, in parts, do challenge my FWD SX4 once a while.

I like the simpler interiors of the Storme (compared to the glitzy XUV) but I do have a few niggling doubts about Tata reliability.

After a test drive of the Storme, I had almost made up my mind about it, but read reports in several places (including on Team BHP) of a possible engine and gearbox upgrade in the offing. This has put my decision on hold.

Please do provide your thoughts on
a) the two options - which one would you recommend
b) whether its worth waiting for the Storme upgrade, and if you have any ideas of when Tata is realistically planning to launch it.

Thanks a ton, and looking forward to hearing from all of you! :)

I would say that in reliability terms both would be similar.

XUV is likely to have better resale - though that is not one of your concerns.

The Storme is likely to suite your needs more, though the XUV would work out as well. If you travel places the integrated SatNav in the XUV would be good to have.

With TATA one never really knows how long they will take to release what we all know is under development. But they do tend to release new stuff just before Diwali. I would suggest you wait till then and if nothing much comes out from TATA go ahead and get the XUV. In it's present form the Strome is indeed a bit barebones. Though in the looks department both the interior and the exterior of the storme would appeal a lot more.

The two behave differentely. Drive both, take the one you like best.

Reason I say that will be obvious when you drive them

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3146182)
I would say that in reliability terms both would be similar.

XUV is likely to have better resale - though that is not one of your concerns.

The Storme is likely to suite your needs more, though the XUV would work out as well. If you travel places the integrated SatNav in the XUV would be good to have.

With TATA one never really knows how long they will take to release what we all know is under development. But they do tend to release new stuff just before Diwali. I would suggest you wait till then and if nothing much comes out from TATA go ahead and get the XUV. In it's present form the Strome is indeed a bit barebones. Though in the looks department both the interior and the exterior of the storme would appeal a lot more.

Thanks ACM!
I noted that you have been using the Aria 4X4 for about three years now. How has the experience been? How would you rate the 4x4 system?

Thanks again :)

Why dont you consider buying Scorpio Sle 4WD ? You save a lot and its quite reliable compared to the other 2. Also, Sle comes with ABS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrishD (Post 3146168)
Hi team BHP-ians

This is my first post and I am starting off with a query.

I am looking to buy a 4X4 SUV, and am vacillating between the Storme 4X4 and the XUV AWD. Both cars have a similar on-road price in Gurgaon, the Mahindra is slightly pricier. To describe my usage, other than the customary 1000-1200 km in the city, I head out to the hills every one-one and a half months. Also, i have the habit of looking for off beat locations whose terrain, in parts, do challenge my FWD SX4 once a while.

I like the simpler interiors of the Storme (compared to the glitzy XUV) but I do have a few niggling doubts about Tata reliability.

After a test drive of the Storme, I had almost made up my mind about it, but read reports in several places (including on Team BHP) of a possible engine and gearbox upgrade in the offing. This has put my decision on hold.

b) whether its worth waiting for the Storme upgrade, and if you have any ideas of when Tata is realistically planning to launch it.

Tata Safari Storm without doubt would be a better offroader.

1. ladder on frame chassis-more abuse friendly and tough.
2. Proper low ratio gearbox-very very important for offroading.
3. Double wishbone suspension setup up front.

Xuv AWD is good but it still is a softroader mainly for trail driving and mild offroading.

I think Tata Safari Strome 4X4 is better suits you than XUV 5OO AWD for the kind of usage.
AWD never matches 4X4.

I am just contemplating between XUV 5OO 2WD and AWD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrishD (Post 3146228)
Thanks ACM!
I noted that you have been using the Aria 4X4 for about three years now. How has the experience been? How would you rate the 4x4 system?

Thanks again :)

My Aria was from the first lot. It is a very good vehicle. But mine wasn't reliable - a lemon from the first lot - but TATA did solve all the problems in warranty - yet did not leave me with confidence about the particular vehicle. That said I would still say that there in no better vehicle in that segment (XUV - Strome - Aria) and in some ways including the Pajero Sport and the Fortuner (but those two are definitely better built and more reliable - so one can bear some plain jane bits for that).

Yep an Aria too could be a good alternative for you, but will still suggest that you wait till Diwali to see what TATA motors releases (They may have a facelifted Aria (besides the Storme) with other improvement) by then. If you can't wait get the XUV today. Though there too an even higher variant is reportedly on the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2500cc (Post 3146297)
Why dont you consider buying Scorpio Sle 4WD ? You save a lot and its quite reliable compared to the other 2. Also, Sle comes with ABS.

No, there is no SLE 4wd. Its either the basic LX 4wd or the top-end VLX 4wd.
Cheers,
Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrishD (Post 3146168)

Let me add one more option and confuse you even further :)

If a 4x4 is a must for you, then why not the classic Safari Dicor 2.2 VX 4x4? It's better looking than the Storme [IMO], post-2012 Safari's have been relatively issue/niggle free [or so I read/hear], will cost less than the Storme 4x4 and there are a few reviews available on the forum also, for you to do your research.

The only thing you need to find out from a reliable source is whether that model is due to be phased out or not.

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 3146965)
If a 4x4 is a must for you, then why not the classic Safari Dicor 2.2 VX 4x4? It's better looking than the Storme [IMO], post-2012 Safari's have been relatively issue/niggle free [or so I read/hear], will cost less than the Storme 4x4 and there are a few reviews available on the forum also, for you to do your research.

The only thing you need to find out from a reliable source is whether that model is due to be phased out or not.

Cheers,
Vikram

The Storme is significantly better than the Safari Dicor Mechanically. It has a much better Suspension and this will require lesser maintenance and will be easier to align and keep aligned - which was a bit of an issue in the previous safari. In the Storme the braking and high speed dynamics are much better. It gets many of the improvements and learnings from the Aria. The Safari Dicor will be supported and easy to maintain for a long while but is sure to be discontinued sooner rather than later. There is already talk of a face lift and improved version of the Storme itself latest by next year so don't really see the Safari Dicor continuing for too long. It will of course be based on demand but today it is hard to visualize too many customers going in for that version as it is still not that cheap and it would normally make better logic to get a LX Storme than a higher version of the previous Safari.