Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 16:57   #331
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

and still after such a long post above which details that many other similar higher "GC" cars would be able to achieve the same feats ; there is no post of (m)any videos for the Ecosport achieving the same!

and its perfectly okay to have a pre-concieved notion about what constitutes an SUV; but entirely different when you start distorting facts and say that the manufacturer themselves do not intend for its vehicle to be called an SUV !
Renault clearly classifies the Duster as SUV: http://www.renault.com/en/vehicules/...es/duster.aspx

I am sure same would go for Ford even. Will let the ES fanboys do the ground work on this.
By your logic, even the XUV does not qualify to be an SUV since the car has been modded by M&M to escape just that classification for tax purposes !

and what was that abt the 85bhp Duster pulling like a "locomotive" ??! its nowhere near being any speed demon !
you really have to drive a Verna to see what that phrase really means .

And to give credit where its due : I really love Ford for pulling such a well thought together AT package for <10L. That one is more than what you will ever need in the urban jungle with all its class-breaking safety&comfort features.

Last edited by BUXX : 21st August 2013 at 17:02.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 17:10   #332
Senior - BHPian

For me Ecosport cant be compared with Duster. Only hatch shoppers would look at Ecosport. It cant be cross shopped with C segment sedans. Again Duster also isnt honest and is overpriced but to me is atleast a small SUV. (Utility as in the U in SUV)
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 17:20   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So if you want to compare Ford Ecosport and Renault duster, it will be kind of weird to look at "Offroading merits".
A proper objective comparison could be done like this
1. Space - Renualt duster wins here as it has a wider back seat(Reason we bought duster and not ecosport)
2. Engine - Renualt 1.5L engine has amazing low end torque. The 85bhp version pulls like a locomotive
3. Price - Ford being 2L cheaper, becomes a value proposition if you are a small family. Then a wider rear bench would not matter.
4. Bad road capability - Bigger tires of Renault could give it an edge
And so on.
Nice 3/4 points go for Duster. And yes the 85ps feels much more capable on road then what the books make you believe. It's no speedster, still not an average car. There are the Chevy Diesel rocket and Fiat TJets out there for pure high speed pleasure.

People have traveled with families from Kolkata to Delhi on Duster in 18hrs with stop overs. Shows the capability, reliably and the owners trust in the machine.

Last edited by HillMan : 21st August 2013 at 17:22.
Old 21st August 2013, 19:23   #334
BHPian

@BUXX... who says there are no videos of EcoSport offroading. Here you go:

Watch the Sultan drift;

Just for fun!!! There might be worse videos of Duster as well.

Chanced upon two EcoSport off-roading videos, just couldn't resist sharing;

Last edited by HillMan : 21st August 2013 at 19:26.
Old 21st August 2013, 19:54   #335
Team-BHP Support

The poll largely reflects the preference of majority here.

The thread too has gone a bit stale as enough has been said and is now getting repetitive (Maybe this is something new for some)

Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:30   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford India stops bookings of some EcoSport variants.

Quote:
According to dealer sources, the stopping of bookings differ from dealerships to dealerships. While some dealers have stopped bookings of entry-level variant of the diesel version, others are not taking orders for top-end and mid- level variants of the EcoSport in diesel option.

Some other dealers have also stopped bookings for the optional variant of the one-litre Ecoboost engine-powered petrol variant.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21958179.cms
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:48   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
and still after such a long post above which details that many other similar higher "GC" cars would be able to achieve the same feats ; there is no post of (m)any videos for the Ecosport achieving the same!
At the risk of
Let me ask you again. Technically speaking why would one 2WD car with similar/same tires perform better than another 2WD car of a different on a terrain which is "offroadish"?
If Duster had a limited slip diff, I would concede your point. But it does not. Its a front wheel car with open diff. So any other 2WD FWD with similar tires will perform equally better. Vehicle weight will make a difference, and on sand a lighter vehicle(with similar tires) will perform better, and in snow the heavier vehicle(which can break the surface film) will perform better.
Why do you think(Technical, not anecdotal argument) will duster be better than Ecosport? I think some members have shown you videos of Ecosport in non terrain conditions.
Yet you claim that they do not exist.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:48   #338
BHPian

Quote:
ET:
Ford India had launched the EcoSport on June 26 and the company had said it received 30,000 bookings within 17 days of the launch of the vehicle.

According to SIAM figures, till July the company has sold 8,717 units of EcoSport and in July it clocked 4,715 units.

In July Ford India had announced recall of 972 units of the diesel variants of the EcoSport to rectify a part in the engine starting system.
Strange!
EcoSport sold 8,717 units in the last week of June and only 4,715 in July.

Only 972 units of diesel, seems petrol is the hot selling variant. Duster petrol can be counted on fingers.

Dealers have already stopped taking booking on variants of their choice.

Something is amiss or a mess.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:26   #339
BHPian

Thx for sharing Hillman but the first video that you shared related to the Urban Discovery Ford event. I have seen that before. Hardly an owner's take.
And I never said NO video existed , just not (m)any !
The 2nd video unfortunately is of the older gen Ecosport, not the one in Question currently which is a completely different animal or puppy;depending on the way you look at it.

@tsk: How about approach, ramp breakover , departure angles, water wading capabilities to differentiate one 2WD high GC "car/UV" (SX4, Ertiga) from a 2WD "SUV" like the Duster !

Don't you think that these things matter a bit ?

Last edited by BUXX : 22nd August 2013 at 10:27.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:16   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Thx for sharing Hillman but the first video that you shared related to the Urban Discovery Ford event. I have seen that before. Hardly an owner's take.
No offense, just for some humor to release the tension.

I havent myself TDed one. From what I see in owners review of EcoSport, looks like the suspensions are pretty rigid. They might have done it to keep body roll in check. Not something you would like while driving alone.
The Duster excels in this department.

From the spec the approach and departure angles are similar to Duster, just a 5 degree here and there. But water wading ability of EcoSport is what they push now. The seriousness can be seen from Ford recall of Diesel variants to relocate the glow plug to a higher point.

Last edited by HillMan : 22nd August 2013 at 11:20.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:26   #341
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The poll largely reflects the preference of majority here.

The thread too has gone a bit stale as enough has been said and is now getting repetitive (Maybe this is something new for some)

Thanks
Agreed, the discussion is going around in circles now .

Thread is hereby closed. Whatever had to be said about either vehicle has been in 23 pages.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks