Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 09:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This thread and the comments are becoming increasingly amusing.

engrohit or any other Duster owners, if it is not too much trouble, can you take a picture of your Duster standing next to the EcoSport, something like the following image from the official review

If you can capture a few more angles (e.g. a single snap from the front of both vehicles), that would be really appreciated.
+1, I would like to see Ecosport standing next to the Premier Rio. That, I think, would put the things in perspective much better.

I have not voted for either of these, But yes, I have driven the Duster and it does have quite a bit to offer. My friend, who accompanied me for the Duster test drive, gunned the car at the divider and it just swallowed it like ones business. That mighty impressed me.

Though comparison is inevitable, these two are two different animals.
Old 29th June 2013, 10:02   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
+1, I would like to see Ecosport standing next to the Premier Rio. That, I think, would put the things in perspective much better.
. My friend, who accompanied me for the Duster test drive, gunned the car at the divider and it just swallowed it like ones business. That mighty impressed me.
The EcoSport and Premier Rio are actually the right sort of comparison in terms of size and dimensions etc.
The EcoSport does resemble to an extent the old gen RAV4 which was significantly smaller than the present gen one. The old gen RAV4 became the Daihatsu Terios, which is turn morphed into the Premier Rio, hence the comparison is apt.
It stops here though because the EcoSport is streets above in refinement, equipment, technology and overall vale offering.

I did compare the EcoSport to the Duster but only from an urban standpoint, where I do believe that the EcoSport makes far more sense...
The Duster is great in its way but they've really been too greedy on the pricing.
Hence the EcoSport will win hands down and I will cheer it on from the sidelines...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th June 2013 at 10:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 10:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well, let me say this first and foremost. The Ecosport is a great vehicle on pretty much all terms. Great looks, great equipment levels, great engines, and most of all great prices.

But I voted for the Duster. If one compares just the Duster and an Ecosport, one is looking for something close to an SUV. The Ecosport, though great, is just not enough "SUVish" in my opinion.

Quote:
engrohit or any other Duster owners, if it is not too much trouble, can you take a picture of your Duster standing next to the EcoSport, something like the following image from the official review:
Attachment 1103825

If you can capture a few more angles (e.g. a single snap from the front of both vehicles), that would be really appreciated.
Your attaching the comparo picture from the official test drive made me notice something, which shows the contrast between the Ecosport and Duster.

1. The Ecosport review had a picture showing it side by side with a Figo.

2. The Duster review had a picture showing it side by side with a Scorpio.

That sort of tells its own story doesn't it.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 10:32   #64
BHPian

For me, the ford ecosport all the way. But an AWD option on teh duster might still be good enough to give it a second look.

But Ford wins, hands down, at this moment.
Old 29th June 2013, 11:01   #65
BHPian

A lot of us folks have stated that Duster & EcoSport really are vehicles in different segments (which it is). Duster started (correct me if I am wrong) the concept of soft-roaders - a mix between a Sedan and a SUV. EcoSport has merely taken it forward and chopped the length even more for tax benefits.

And as most of the TBHPians agree that EcoSport is a more VFM package than Duster it is a winner in this race. We may disagree if they can be even compared or not but the buyer on the streets seems to believe they are comparable - and that is what counts in the end.

My personal opinion is Duster is closer to a SUV than EcoSport. EcoSport though has too many bells and whistles for the price. With Ford really pricing it sweet, it is bound to affect sales of a lot of the cars in the market, not only the Duster. Though Duster looks to be the prime casualty!

Serves them right in my opinion for taking the Indian customers on a ride after the initial success.
Old 29th June 2013, 11:06   #66
BHPian

Quote:
This thread and the comments are becoming increasingly amusing.

With all due respect, I am not sure if even 10% of the people who expressed their opinion have actually seen both the vehicles, and I don't mean in photographs.

People who have seen both the vehicles would realize that there is no real comparison here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post

Though comparison is inevitable, these two are two different animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The EcoSport and Premier Rio are actually the right sort of comparison in terms of size and dimensions etc.

Hence the EcoSport will win hands down and I will cheer it on from the sidelines...
Agree with you guys.

But in this case poll objective should be clearly outlined, which can either be on vehicle specifications, segment etc. or overall package, VFM, consumer aspirations, market sentiments etc.
I have voted for Ecosport. To me it perfectly qualifies the later one.
Old 29th June 2013, 12:03   #67
BHPian

Voted for the EcoSport.

I am not someone who would use the backseat for a fifth passenger too often, and the boot space of the EcoSport is adequate for me.

Most importantly, Ford has got the intro pricing spot on! No doubts the prices will go up in a while, but by then the EcoSport would have generated adequate interest.

One more thing that impressed me is that Ford has brought the EcoSport123 PS version of the Ecoboost to India. Read somewhere that there is also a 90 odd PS version being sold in other countries. So India is being taken seriously by manufacturers. Liked that!

Missed this pricing strategy so badly with the new Fiesta. On second thought, maybe Ford learnt it the hard way!

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 29th June 2013 at 12:05.
Old 29th June 2013, 12:25   #68
BHPian

I don't think this topic, comparison, as off today, makes any sense.
Duster has been launched almost a year back.
Eco sport is not yet launched.

I have driven the Duster, owned one and used it extensively in some very bad roads and climatic conditions time and again.
Taken it to temperatures ranging within 0°-5°, subjected to continuous rains for more than 24 hrs and it never made a whimper.

Eco Sport, seen it in real, that too in a 'mall'.
The only justified way I could compare it with Duster is by its looks and feel.
I found the Eco too cramped for space with the dash giving a feel of getting on my face.
I though liked the way the wheel is placed on the rear, looks cool.
Interiors are of better quality, all black gives a polished look.
The gadgets and gizmos, well they do have an appeal but its strictly for the city minded which is why its called an urban SUV.

As for opinions on refinement of engines, I doubt if it can be done with a test drive or two.
Surprised to see so many votes for Eco sport when none has owned one
Is it like gapes that one can't have are deemed sour?
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 12:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven the Ecosport.
However I would vote for Duster.

I like its exteriors more than Ford. It looks like a proper SUV not a hatch on steriods.
I dislike the interiors. I do admit the Ecosport interiors are leagues ahead.
A 1.5L Diesel is always underpowered for a SUV. Same should be the case with Ecosport. However, the sole purpose of a softroader SUV is to handle bad roads with ease (besides a higher seating position). It is where the Duster does extremely well with the softer suspensions. And finally the option to add a couple of jump seats making it a 7 seater is reason enough to gor for it.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

We all agree that the two cars are not in the same league but the ecosport is way more VFM and their target audience is the same; people looking to buy an 'SUV' for cheap. The reason most people including me, have voted for the EcoSport is because it does what it is meant to; handle poor road conditions, offers modern styling, way more kit, loads of tech, not so evident cost cutting and for me, the fact that the Duster comes with a 'cheaper' feel, and has only a 3 STAR CRASH SAFETY RATING :o is simply shocking for a modern day product.

PS someone was acclaiming the duster for handling bad roads and temperatures between 0-5 degrees with all day rains, well yes these are modern vehicles we're talking about and they are tested in sub zero conditions too.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th June 2013 at 13:29.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

The EcoSport does make the Duster look a wee bit overpriced. Nissan must be scratching their heads to figure out how they are going to position their Duster clone. However, the Renault is half a size bigger than the Ford, inside and out. If one needs seating for 5 adults, a lot more boot space and superb ride quality, then Duster would be the obvious choice. For everything else, there is the EcoSport.
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 13:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

To be honest the Duster and Eco Sport cannot be compared. The Fords are always great driver cars and if you love to drive the Ford is the one to buy. I vouch for this as I still own a petrol Fiesta. Ford seems to be making a big mistake as far as cabin space goes. They don't seem to have learnt from their New Fiesta debacle. They still don't seem to have read the Indian market well. Lets hope for Ford that the Ecosport sells well.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:03   #73
BHPian

I voted for the Ecosport, but I believe these should not be compared.

My reasons for voting for Ecosport:
1. Price
2. Do not have the need for seating 5 adults in the near future
3. Mainly city drives (Duster 110 might be better on the highway)
4. Gizmos and features
5. Plush interiors (when compared with Duster).

Having said this, I still have a soft corner for Duster for the following reasons:
1. Like the beefed up looks, though Ecosport has a modern look, I personally like the beefed up but simple looks of Duster.
2. Space
3. Better ride quality (not experienced, but based on reviews)

Read another thread about the Duster facelift. If anything, Renault should be working on providing more features, nothing wrong with the "face" IMHO.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

Read another thread about the Duster facelift. If anything, Renault should be working on providing more features, nothing wrong with the "face" IMHO.
It's great to know that Renault is doing something. Facelifts usually come with more features. If they just added more features it would not gain enough attention in the market. Example: Fiat Linea. So a facelift is the way to go
Old 29th June 2013, 15:00   #75
BHPian

I would choose the ford ecosport any day for the price and design, to me it has some design cues from Audi q3. Only thing which makes me slightly skeptical is the below thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-dhamaka.html
Else this is definitely a "duster-killer" and considering Ford's service reach, Ecosport will emerge the winner.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks