Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 16:12   #76
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Voted for Ecosport mainly for the following reasons:

1. Ecosport is a more modern package
2. Price
3. Gadgets and safety devices (6 airbags) offered for the given price - Ecosport way ahead
4. Ecosport trumps Duster in crash test ratings. Safety is important to me
Old 29th June 2013, 16:14   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
To be honest the Duster and Eco Sport cannot be compared. The Fords are always great driver cars and if you love to drive the Ford is the one to buy. I vouch for this as I still own a petrol Fiesta. Ford seems to be making a big mistake as far as cabin space goes. They don't seem to have learnt from their New Fiesta debacle. They still don't seem to have read the Indian market well. Lets hope for Ford that the Ecosport sells well.
Arjun, I think you may have missed out on the driver's car bit. No doubt Ford has great drivers' cars. But the EcoSport has one dead steering with little-to-no feedback. This has been covered by many reviewers all across the board. This car does not have the "Ford steering" you associated the brand with.

Last edited by johy : 29th June 2013 at 16:16.
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 16:22   #78

Guys, just test drove the diesel 1.5 litre ecosport. I felt it lacks a bit of power and pulls itself on the 2nd gear shift. I am looking to change my car now. Would need suggestions here for the ford ecosport.
Old 29th June 2013, 16:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Ecosport. Duster is priced atrociously. Looks-wise, too, Ecosport fares better than Duster. But personally, I am fan of old-school boxy SUVs like Pajero / Endeavor. I think, rounded shapes look best on hatchbacks. Curvy SUVs like CRV/Captiva fail to highlight that agressiveness which boxy Pajro/Endeavours do.
Old 29th June 2013, 16:40   #80
Team-BHP Support

It's pretty simple actually.

Between the Duster 85 and the EcoSport diesel for city driving, I'd choose the EcoSport because of the price tag that the Ford carries. Also, I wouldn't need a wider rear seat for city driving anyway, and neither will I need the large boot. But if I'm going to be driving between towns and crossing State borders often, I'd pick the Duster 110 for its 6th cog and superior ride quality. Not to mention the larger boot.

If I'm looking for a petrol car though, the Renault doesn't stand a chance considering that it's seriously under equipped.
Old 29th June 2013, 16:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

Arjun, I think you may have missed out on the driver's car bit. No doubt Ford has great drivers' cars. But the EcoSport has one dead steering with little-to-no feedback. This has been covered by many reviewers all across the board. This car does not have the "Ford steering" you associated the brand with.
Johy. Thanks I might have missed that bit as I haven't driven the car myself. I was only saying that they are 2 very differently engineered cars and cannot be compared. Thanks anyway. Will be in touch.
Old 29th June 2013, 17:03   #82
BHPian

Well for me neither is an "SUV" both are cars on a raised platform. I have read in some review about Ecosport as sweet, funky and cute SUV. I dont know since when we have started describing SUV's like girls. I always looked them as Boys Toys. Coming back to our thread if I had to pick between a swollen hatch (Ecosport) and an overgrown hatch (Duster) then I would pick the later. For obvious reasons; space and comfort.
azm@bpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 17:04   #83
BHPian

I voted for Eco because I did like to own one at this point of time pure from bling point of view. New look / new engine / new technology / Microsoft (Oops the scary part) . But I agree with few here that we can't compare both because I too feel they belong to different segments. And I don't think Eco's pricing will affect duster's sales drastically. Yes - few who have not made up their mind may lean towards Eco as an "urban" SUV but the ones who have done their research and test drive will still buy Duster.

I have sat on both but not driven. I felt Eco is a hatch with few more of the latest toys. Duster though not a true blue SUV - space wise it felt much more roomier like a mid level sedan. Eco is still a sub 4 meter hatch while Duster is a regular size cross over car. In fact Renault and selling it as a car and not a SUV (as per their website) while Ford India is selling Eco as a SUV
Old 29th June 2013, 17:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the Duster slowly clawing its way back in this poll. I won't be surprised if we see it getting 25% of the votes in a week's time. The Duster is a good vehicle, only the price it is being currently sold at makes it loose votes, think of this, had the Duster been priced on par with the Ecosport, the poll would have been even-stevens.

Wonder how many customers are thinking of cancelling their Duster bookings, that information should give Renault the jerk it needed to shake itself out of its complacency. The Company has clearly put all its eggs in one basket and any threat to the Duster would be a threat to Renault's survival in India
Old 29th June 2013, 17:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

I currently own a Ford Ikon. I just TD'd the diesel ES today ion Cauvery Ford for just 10 mins and I feel it is way too cramped inside in (2nd seat). Only 2 people can sit comfortably. My take on this is if you do not mind spending so much for a lesser space then the car is for you. The Ikon has a decent space in 2nd row seat and I feel the Duster/Ertiga is a much better car though the cost is way too high in case of Duster. ES has the gadgets and gizmos you want but the lack of space proves to be a damper. I wanted to book the vehicle today and had gone with all the documents and cheque...but came back after TD'ing the same and want to rethink on the same for now. After all, I will be spending a Million bucks for the car and I need the comfort and gadgets also. I feel a Quanto might be better though the looks are not good but atleast they have not compromised the space inside and has a decent torque too. Unfortunately, there was nobody to take care of customers in the showroom (sales guys). Of course it is the luch of much hyped car but atleast they can attend to customers who come inside their showroom, right. This is the least expecgted from any dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The Company has clearly put all its eggs in one basket and any threat to the Duster would be a threat to Renault's survival in India
In this case, I will wait for their offer of goody's on their cars and then go for this as my better half also thinks Duster is better than EX. But only the price is a damper in this

Last edited by snaronikar : 29th June 2013 at 17:29.
Old 29th June 2013, 18:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Johy. Thanks I might have missed that bit as I haven't driven the car myself. I was only saying that they are 2 very differently engineered cars and cannot be compared. Thanks anyway. Will be in touch.
Hiya Arjun, I am yet to test drive the EcoSport myself and and really want to know how better it is compared to my old Wagon R. But, clearly this is not a driver's car. And welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
ES has the gadgets and gizmos you want but the lack of space proves to be a damper. I wanted to book the vehicle today and had gone with all the documents and cheque...but came back after TD'ing the same and want to rethink on the same for now. After all, I will be spending a Million bucks for the car and I need the comfort and gadgets also.

In this case, I will wait for their offer of goody's on their cars and then go for this as my better half also thinks Duster is better than EX. But only the price is a damper in this
Mate, I think just hold your horses. Let the initial euphoria die down and the Ford people land on ground. Then take the decision. I read some place that some Ford dealer has put a poster that the waiting period (at least for some models) is 360 days, that is 5 days short of a year!! Preposterous, I say! The way the Indian automobile industry is, it won't be long before another manufacturer brings out another EcoSport "killer" as one would put it in the forums these days.

Someone also mentioned the relative lack of automatic transmission EcoSport cars. And if they did not have the Autos in the assembly line, they should not have published the prices. Also, remember that there is no price protection from Ford. You pay the price that rules at the time of delivery. So is this a case of luring the crowds with the carrot?
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 18:18   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The way the Indian automobile industry is, it won't be long before another manufacturer brings out another EcoSport "killer" as one would put it in the forums these days.
The one immediately in pipeline is the Maruti's XA1. And surely it would undercut the Ecosport, because they most probably would go with the famed 1.3L diesel. But we need to see on their build quality. I also read rumours about a Mahindra one. But both of them I think may not match up to Ecosport build. (Again my guess).

Then we have VW Taigun concept doing rounds in the international circuit. But we have no idea if it would even land up on Indian shores. As of now I really doubt if we see a killer. XA1 would dent it a bit. Only time would tell.
Old 29th June 2013, 19:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read some place that some Ford dealer has put a poster that the waiting period (at least for some models) is 360 days, that is 5 days short of a year!! Preposterous, I say!
No need of reading anywhere. I saw it myself in the showroom today the 1.5L petrol and Ecoboost has 12-15 months waitng. This is displayed in cauvery ford showroom in Bangalore. And they had also put up a circular that they have stopped bookings of 1.5L petrol ES for now.
snaronikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 21:22   #89
P76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This thread and the comments are becoming increasingly amusing.

With all due respect, I am not sure if even 10% of the people who expressed their opinion have actually seen both the vehicles, and I don't mean in photographs.

People who have seen both the vehicles would realize that there is no real comparison here. These people would realize that EcoSport is significantly (not marginally) smaller than the Duster and the photos in the first post of this thread are not on the same scale. These are vehicles from 2 different segments. Since both the segments are new to India, there is a confusion and that's why apples-to-oranges comparisons are happening.

engrohit or any other Duster owners, if it is not too much trouble, can you take a picture of your Duster standing next to the EcoSport, something like the following image from the official review:
Attachment 1103825

If you can capture a few more angles (e.g. a single snap from the front of both vehicles), that would be really appreciated.

In my opinion, most people who would actually buy the EcoSport would be people who were looking for a good hatch. I doubt, people who are looking for space and size of a proper sedan or a SUV would pick up the EcoSport.

People who are excited about 'SUV in the price of a premium hatch or small sedan', I don't really want to open a can of worms by saying 'SUV?'. What is a SUV is a matter open to each one of us. Even the government did not have a definition for a SUV till about 3 months back (and then they came up with a ridiculous one). Is the SUV only about butch looks and high ground clearance? Are size, space and road-presence also parameters that define the 'SUV'? I really don't know and don't want to get into that debate as well (at least not on this thread).

All I am saying is that, people should actually go to the dealer, see and feel the vehicles being compared and then form an opinion.
You got it spot on SDP, there was a similar comparison between the Toyota Fortuner and the BMW X1, which IMO are totally Chalk and Cheese. The only aspect which they had in common was they were somewhat in the same price bracket, otherwise there is no logical comparisons between the two. Similarly in this case, Ecosport has got the hatchback customers excited, and I doubt it would attract a person on the look out or need for a SUV like the Scorpio/Safari/Duster.
P76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 22:22   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
Similarly in this case, Ecosport has got the hatchback customers excited, and I doubt it would attract a person on the look out or need for a SUV like the Scorpio/Safari/Duster.

Ecosport has almost every hot hatch, sedan and quanto/duster in sight. If its space and stance are one's priority, he will go in for duster. And if he has a family of 6footers, he will look at safari/Scorpio/xuv.
I have always considered my storme also a 5 seater with boot to swallow luggage for these 5 occupants. The bigger size also gives you the driving position/commanding view and road presence. This is where I had shifted from duster to storme.
The people who are comparing duster and ecosport are the ones who either travel alone, or at the max two with children. Hence they are migrating from hatches or sedans because of our infamous roads. Ecosport is like xuv, has more gadgets, But less space. These gadgets and technologies are pleasing everyone here. Duster on the other hand has a better ride also.
And given the price the comparison was obvious. I wonder why quanto and rio were not mentioned here. IMO they are the best description of our Indian jugaad.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed