Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 20:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster-ecodus.jpg

The Ford EcoSport has been launched and competes head on with its arch rival Renault Duster. Lets face it this can be easily termed the mega fight of the mini SUVs

The obvious question is which one of these would be the choice pick of potential buyer and the reason associated with the selection and if some other option then which one and why.

Also since there are multiple engine and transmission options it would be interesting to know the popular choice and the reason for the same

EcoSport - 2 Petrols and 1 Diesel
Duster - 1 Petrol and 2 Diesels

Ford EcoSport Ecoboost(123 BHP) 1.0l Petrol
Renault Duster(103 BHP) 1.6l Petrol
Ford Ecosport(110 BHP)- 1.5l Petrol
Renault Duster(84BHP) 1.5l Diesel
Ford Ecosport TDCi(90 BHP) 1.5l Diesel
Renault Duster(109BHP) 1.5l Diesel

Again if someone wants to look up on details we have the superlative official review of both the vehicles -

Renault Duster - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Ford EcoSport - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster-ecov1.jpg
Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster-renaultduster05.jpg
Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster-ecoduscomp.jpg
girishglg is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 21:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Perfect timing with this thread Girish .

I would pick the Ecosport for two reasons :

1. Futuristic styling against the old school design of the Duster
2. Ford's A*S*S has an upper hand w.r.t the number of dealerships and also their service has improved since the launch of Figo

My vote is for the Diesel variant.
aviorp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 21:50   #3
BHPian

Ecosport boasts better finished interiors, Futuristic looks and most importantly is better priced than the Duster. Also the Ford Showrooms and service centers are more than the Renault (No Renault showroom in Jharkhand till date). So it would be the Diesel Ecosport for me! The Base diesel Duster (bare bones) is similarly priced to the Titanium Diesel Ecosport (Loaded to Gills).

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 26th June 2013 at 21:56.
Old 26th June 2013, 21:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

End of home run for Renault. Ford has behaved sensibly this time and undercut duster by a big margin. every variant of EcoSport feels so VFM compared to greedy renault pricing. Wake up call and I hope they learn a lesson soon when their sales get the beating.

But wondering if Ford is in a position to scale up their production. Ecosport is bound to attract customers going for Dzire/Amaze/Ertiga/Duster/Vento/Verna/Rapid/Sunny etc. which can translate into a 5K+ sales easily !!
Old 26th June 2013, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the EcoSport because it is more modern, vastly safer, I like the Kinetic design on the outside and the cell phone inspired interior dash design, it comes in an automatic petrol and Ford's DSG is very durable. Though I am a die-hard manual fan, I'll save manual for the sedans :P

Really would be interesting to see how many cars are bashed out of the water due to its launch also a range of new products from Ford please?
Old 26th June 2013, 22:53   #6
BHPian

Ecosport all the way. A fully loaded top of the line Titanium(o) Diesel model is for a little over 10 lacs OTR in Delhi . A six airbag , ABS absolutely loaded mini SUV at that price is a steal. The launch of Ecosport at a sensible price like this makes the Duster look severely Overpriced . Although Duster is a size or two larger , still a price gap of over 2.5 l is a shocker. Wonder how much margin Renault has been making on the Duster ?

If weight was some criterion on price , Ford is heavier than the Duster by a few kilos atleast !!
Old 26th June 2013, 23:30   #7
BANNED

Excuse me....I see no point of having this discussion, the winner is clear to everybody, Moderators please shut down this thread

Kidding of course, but hey seriously, do we even need to have this thread, of course everybody(almost) wants to go the Ford way!!
Old 27th June 2013, 01:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

I booked the Ecosport Diesel Titanium (O) today and didn't even take a look at the Duster thanks to:

Ford's Pricing
Ford's dealership network
Duster's additional space and clearance weren't needed by me since this is a second car at home
Loaded when compared to Duster,variant to variant

So Ecosport it is for me,but for someone looking at more space,ride quality, the Duster should be a good pick as well.
Old 27th June 2013, 07:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Ecosport Diesel.

It ticks all the right boxes, most important of them all the price box!

This was what I was looking for in a under 10 lakh vehicle

- Its got the styling which will stay in vogue much after you have repaid that car loan
- Its got the ground clearance that will take you over anything that the road can throw at you - stressing again - road, not off-road
- Its got space for 5, and that fits 90% of my travel requirement, with me driving the Ecosport, I don't mind paying for a Taxi to carry the extra 2 people when needed which again would be at the most 10% of the time
- Its below that psychological 10 lakh barrier
- Now with this pricing, what is juicier is that it has let the cat among the pigeons. The other manufacturers would be forced to fall in line with their product prices and the bottom has just fallen off the second-hand car market!

Last edited by TheARUN : 27th June 2013 at 07:23. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 27th June 2013, 09:19   #10
BHPian

Sorry, although I would go for neither at this point of time because I don't need either, I seriously think that both the Duster and the Ecosport are great vehicles though in different segments.

My feeling is that the Ecosport will do to the hatchback market what the Duster did to the sedan market - kill the competition! I don't believe the Ecosport will take significant numbers away from the Duster - though I may be completely wrong at that.
ananth_iy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 09:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Without a doubt, the Ford EcoSport for me, over the Duster. Better styled, good interiors and practical. Lots of gadgetry to keep tech buffs happy too. I would have preferred an option with HID projector lamps.

Duster will make sense for those who want to seat 3 comfortably in the rear seat, want a 400+ litres of boot space and a more powerful diesel engine. Only benefits that I can see over the EcoSport.

Will be interesting to see what all segments and 4-wheelers the EcoSport is going to cannibalise.
Old 27th June 2013, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Ecosport of course!
It has AT which is an absolute must for me.
Ford India is a know devil.
Duster is too common!
Interior and fit and finish on Ford is better than Duster.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Am sold on the ecoboost engine. That a 1L can produce 123 bhp shows they have started seriously considering more performance engines in India, even if the idea was not that when the engine was designed and built.

Personally am not a big fan of soft roaders but given a choice the ford makes more sense even if the duster is bigger and seats 5 comfortably unlike the ecosport.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:38   #14
BHPian

Just to tweak the famous statement for Model T for another Ford....
Any mini-SUV will do as long as its Ecosport

Of course I voted for ES 1.5 TDCi. Titanium for close to a million bucks is just mouth watering.

Are we going to see more offers and freebies from across the segment - Duster / i20 / Swift....and the list goes on.
Just hope dealers don't mess it up.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote goes for upcoming Duster AWD. For me if it is a crossover, it has to have 4wd system or else i am happy with a sedan/hatch.

Between current variants, i'd pick Ecosport because of the pricing advantage, and because of the fact that it does not have cost cutting evident everywhere(thereby justifying the price).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks