Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2006, 11:03   #1
BHPian

Best Comfy car for a Fur Baby?

Hi,
I hope my question does not sound too stupid in this forum.

"I have a fur baby, 8 months old lab retriver, and by Gods grace his built is good, or you can say huge. He often accompanies us when we go out for long drives (say 6 to 7 hours), as I hate to leave him behind. But I have noticed he is not comfortable during the ride, and that makes me sad. We have a sedan and we keep the car's whole of back seat for him.

I wanted to ask you guys, if anyone here has a similar problem/experience what do you suggest is the best car for cases like this. Is SUV a better choice with a lot of space at the back, but then its ride is a bit bumpy. Or a station wagon kind of car, which gives them more space and ride is not that bumpy but then they can't really stand and change their position much, its more of less like a normal car..."

I would love to get suggestions on that.

Warm Regards!
Old 9th June 2006, 11:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you've got around 14lakhs to blow...get the Octavia Combi RS. Will have more than enought power for u, and high levels of comfort for him!!
Old 9th June 2006, 11:49   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Umm... i've a GSD 10 year old, he loves going out for car rides. But what he really loves is the drive with the window open and all the wind in his head. i dont think sedan would be creating much of a problem for the dog. Keep your windows open if u are travelling with him he would love it. If A/C is on then keep him hydrated and keep talking or keep him busy. Every once in a while stop and take a break with him making him walk around. But the window open trick works like a charm. i took my dog to Jaipur from delhi and the whole time he was looking out the window, even if i take him in a QUALIS he would always look for a window openning.
Old 9th June 2006, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels
Hi,
I hope my question does not sound too stupid in this forum.

"I have a fur baby, 8 months old lab retriver, and by Gods grace his built is good, or you can say huge. He often accompanies us when we go out for long drives (say 6 to 7 hours), as I hate to leave him behind. But I have noticed he is not comfortable during the ride, and that makes me sad. We have a sedan and we keep the car's whole of back seat for him.

I wanted to ask you guys, if anyone here has a similar problem/experience what do you suggest is the best car for cases like this. Is SUV a better choice with a lot of space at the back, but then its ride is a bit bumpy. Or a station wagon kind of car, which gives them more space and ride is not that bumpy but then they can't really stand and change their position much, its more of less like a normal car..."

I would love to get suggestions on that.

Warm Regards!

You dont needto spend much on this one. get a WagonR and flip both the rear seats. There is enough height as well as space inside. and if someone wants to travel with you just flip the seats back. the new ones also comes with ABS and Airbags which is what I recommend.

Other cars to look at would be tavera,Fusion( Not too sure on this one.) Mahindra Scorpio, indigo marina and Innova.
Old 9th June 2006, 12:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
You dont needto spend much on this one. get a WagonR and flip both the rear seats. There is enough height as well as space inside. and if someone wants to travel with you just flip the seats back. the new ones also comes with ABS and Airbags which is what I recommend.

Other cars to look at would be tavera,Fusion( Not too sure on this one.) Mahindra Scorpio, indigo marina and Innova.
dude, you forgot teh adventure

Station wagon would be a better choice I guess. Maybe a secondhand ALtura?

Wagon R is a nice idea if thers wont be a third person on board.

I dont want to take my 48kg Dobermann in my Xing! Phew! Glad that he is happy at home. A lab is gonna be heavy but managable.
Old 9th June 2006, 12:40   #6
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Umm... i've a GSD 10 year old, he loves going out for car rides. But what he really loves is the drive with the window open and all the wind in his head. i dont think sedan would be creating much of a problem for the dog. Keep your windows open if u are travelling with him he would love it. If A/C is on then keep him hydrated and keep talking or keep him busy. Every once in a while stop and take a break with him making him walk around. But the window open trick works like a charm. i took my dog to Jaipur from delhi and the whole time he was looking out the window, even if i take him in a QUALIS he would always look for a window openning.
Please be aware that keeping the window open on long drives and letting the dog keep his head out may be bad for the dog's eyesight. My information is that he will become blind eventually. Please cross-check this info with reliable sources before letting your dog look out the window on long drives.
Regards, rks
Old 9th June 2006, 14:22   #7
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Please be aware that keeping the window open on long drives and letting the dog keep his head out may be bad for the dog's eyesight. My information is that he will become blind eventually. Please cross-check this info with reliable sources before letting your dog look out the window on long drives.
Regards, rks
I actually read this from a dog care book long, long ago, so I don't remember the details. It seems that strong winds are harmful to the sensitive eyes of a dog. Here are a couple of expert opinions that I dug out from the web:

http://www.dogsincanada.com/features...thebasics.html

"In the summer, most dogs love to hang out of the car window, letting the wind blow on their face. This is not a good idea. Flying debris, wind, sunburn, grit, smoke and pollen can lead to eye infections and other serious problems."

http://bbs.sitstay.com/showflat.php?...sb=5&o=&fpart=

"A large number of eye injuries & conjunctivitis cases are due to the drying effects of wind & flying particles that happen when dogs hang their heads out the car window. Discourage this habit or protect their eyes with goggles (ie Doggles.) "

Regards, rks
Old 9th June 2006, 17:08   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I actually read this from a dog care book long, long ago, so I don't remember the details. It seems that strong winds are harmful to the sensitive eyes of a dog. Here are a couple of expert opinions that I dug out from the web:

http://www.dogsincanada.com/features...thebasics.html

"In the summer, most dogs love to hang out of the car window, letting the wind blow on their face. This is not a good idea. Flying debris, wind, sunburn, grit, smoke and pollen can lead to eye infections and other serious problems."

http://bbs.sitstay.com/showflat.php?...sb=5&o=&fpart=

"A large number of eye injuries & conjunctivitis cases are due to the drying effects of wind & flying particles that happen when dogs hang their heads out the car window. Discourage this habit or protect their eyes with goggles (ie Doggles.) "

Regards, rks

hey rks thanx for the info, i have a set of "doggles" but i dont let my dog look out of the window all the time just sometimes before he starts scratching off the tints lol

cheers
Old 9th June 2006, 22:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He often accompanies us when we go out for long drives (say 6 to 7 hours), as I hate to leave him behind. But I have noticed he is not comfortable during the ride, and that makes me sad. We have a sedan and we keep the car's whole of back seat for him.
hey ..
I dont think the problem is the type of car the dog is travelling in ... so we shouldnt be addressing that .

Do tell us what exactly does the dog do when by being uncomfortable ?

If he is whining a lot or feeling restless hes just not "car broken"...ur puppy maybe scared or not used to the usual jolts and bumps in a car ride as the ground below him is unstable no to mention the sudden change of direction and inertia .. we got to realise animals are more sensitive to such things ...remedy is pretty much repeated reinforcement make sure someone gives him company to comfort him ,make coooing sounds to sooth him and the ride is smooth as and when ur puppy grows up he'll start getting used to the car infact some even love it ....

another factor maybe that your dog is plain car sick - usually a dog drools a lot ...that really cannot be helped as dats something ur puppy was born with .
My best advice feed him 4-6 hours before travelling and keep a towel handy ...usually they vomit ...my dog used to have car/motion sickness ,i have had a hard time wiping dog puke off the car seats ...

sitcking puppys head out may calm him down ..hes jus curious ,you havent really comforted him ...but its risky like a fellow bhpian said they get partially blind a bug may hit their eye or anything ...

take care good luck with your puppy .. whats his name anyways ?
Old 9th June 2006, 22:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

As Devarshi said, wagonR perfectly meets your (and your dog's) requirements..
Old 9th June 2006, 22:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
dude, you forgot teh adventure

Station wagon would be a better choice I guess. Maybe a secondhand ALtura?

Wagon R is a nice idea if thers wont be a third person on board.

I dont want to take my 48kg Dobermann in my Xing! Phew! Glad that he is happy at home. A lab is gonna be heavy but managable.
I didnt forget the adventure. I have been in one and I know that the cargo area is not tall enough .Secondly the seat cannot be folded for more space. So basically WagonR with seats folded make for more room and height.

even with third person on boardthe boot space is half of a stationwagon but still high enough for it to stand erect or even jump.
Old 13th June 2006, 02:56   #12
BHPian

My dog is a 16 year old +. Though now he is a bit slow.. he still loves to ride around in a car, check out his kind(probably ;-b)

Though he is happy in the car. He cant seem to keep the balance under acceleration and braking. That was the main problem faced by me. Now I simply keep him in my lap while someone else drives.

Thats the best solution i guess stay beside ur dog and let someone else drive if possible. Rest are the standard/correct ones which everyone mentioned above.

Cheers

PS: wud like to share his picture too with u guys. Any thread for that??
Old 13th June 2006, 14:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
PS: wud like to share his picture too with u guys. Any thread for that??
Yes there is !
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...highlight=pets
Old 13th June 2006, 18:30   #14
BHPian

First try to make him comfortable in the current car as the other bhpians said...

If its the car then a Fiat Adventure or a Baleno Aultra will do the job... Aultra even has a special palce for pets.
Old 13th June 2006, 22:24   #15
BHPian

@shuvc
thanx bro. Put up the picture. Check him out ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks