Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 15:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner

As a owner of multiple Tata vehicles(personally and in the family) let me share a secret with you.
Why did we buy most of our Tata's.
Because there was nothing else to buy.
For example, we wanted a cheap diesel sedan. In our budget only the indigo Cs existed.

I got a Indica DLS because there was no diesel car available in 2002 in my budget.

The Safari 4x4 came because there was no 4WD available for 9.10 lakhs ex showroom(Mahindra scorpio 4x4 2.2 had not been introduced yet)

If you can afford something else, buy something else. And then there is the probability game. About 60% of Tata owners do not face any problems in first 4-5 years of their ownership. If you feel lucky, you can buy a storme and save a tonne of money!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 15:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I would like to invite suggestions, advice and any kind of comments to help me decide on the purchase of a 4WD for a budget of 15 lakhs rupees.

Of the above mentioned two vehicles, a new Storme 4WD or an used Fortuner, which one fits more VFM in terms of technicalities, capabilities and maintenance.

Both will be used for same roles in terms of family touring vehicle, visits to hill stations and for soft OTRs. Both will be used a 5 seater vehicle.

thanks in advance.

PaRm.
Parm,

Wait for a couple of months and you are going to find loads of toyota fortuners in used car market. Believe me the economic downturn is making some fortuner owners give up their vehicles. In mumbai and pune i have come across so many instances. Imagine a 6 month old white fortuner with 5000km going in for sale @21lacs as the owner business got caught in downturn. I have also seen vehicles done 1.5 lac km and their speedometers clocked back to 50k kms for sale. Like GTO once said in used car section, its matter of luck and labour you put in search for a used car.
Whatever the budget you are comfortable with try to see if you can get a 2012 facelift model of fortuner.
I did some research and to me addons like VSC and headlamp washer and touchscreen and few engine tweaks does make sense to be must have on it

Cheers
Old 9th September 2013, 18:55   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Second row comfort is better in a Safari and there are no second thoughts over this. Build quality of a Fortuner is far better in every possible way.
So what is your recommendation then, since you own both the vehicles?

Quote:
The reliability makes me stick to the Fortuner.
I m yet to hear any serious issues with the Stormes that have been sold.
Will it hold on is something time will tell.

Quote:
Yes, TATA products are showing improvements day by day and model by model, but I don't want to be a test driver for TATA!
It is decided then, I believe.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So what is your recommendation then, since you own both the vehicles?
My recommendation will be a Fortuner. 2012+ 4x4 come with VSC which is a boon. Much talked about breaking issue has been long resolved. Toyota has a upgrade available for older models too.
Ahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 20:25   #35
BHPian

Just want to share main reasons I considered when choosing Aria over Fortuner:
1) Long list of feature- all disc brakes.. and so on...
2) TATA being an Indian Manufacturer.
3) Shocking facts about Tata Motors CSR spending.
4) I felt ARIA more comfortable with 7 people on board.
5) Price difference.
Old 10th September 2013, 22:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

If you can find a fortuner in good condition in your budget then dont even have a look at the Safari. The T badge is enough to jusitfy the hassle free ownership you will have. In case of the safari its a TATA, the name justifies the pain.
If you just need 5 seats then why dont you have a look at the XUV, Innova or the Duster?
Old 11th September 2013, 10:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
If you just need 5 seats then why dont you have a look at the XUV, Innova or the Duster?
I think he needs a 4x4 which none of the above provide. AWD does not provide the same capability as the 4L option does.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think he needs a 4x4 which none of the above provide. AWD does not provide the same capability as the 4L option does.
It is mentioned that he needs the
Vehicle for soft offroads and visits
To hill stations etc. So I guess the fortuner is apt.
Safari, Scorpio and xuv would be good for soft offloading and for family travels too.
The innova and the duster I suggested considering the family usage. Sorry for
Not specifying on the 5 seater
Comfort!

Cheers
Old 11th September 2013, 21:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

XUV, Innova, Aria, Duster are not being considered because of them not being at the same level of 4WD capabilities are Storme and Fortuner.

For the same reason I consider Safari/Storme better than 4WD Scorpio in terms of relaibility.

Safari/Storme don't have a "Taxi" tag attached to it. Scorpio, Innova, Aria, Sumo, XUV etc have the "Tourist" vehicle image.

Used Ford Endy and Pajero are also not being considered because one is obsolete and the other is too maintainence prone.

Usage as a five seater is because I don't want a luggage carrier on the roof, it has to go in the boot after the third row of seats are removed permanently.

AWD is only on demand in certain vehicles which is not as robust and strong in performance compared to Storme and Fortuner.

Thanks a lot guys for participating in the discussion to share your views and suggestion keeping in mind various usages and vehicles.

PaRm
Old 11th September 2013, 22:06   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
XUV, Innova, Aria, Duster are not being considered because of them not being at the same level of 4WD capabilities are Storme and Fortuner.
PaRm
Parm in case you come across a used Fortuner which is low on its Odo, then please do let me know incase you are not keen to buy it. I would not mind the newly launched 4x2 variant also. If I am not wrong you are based in Punjab right?

Thanks a lot.
Old 11th September 2013, 22:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you can afford something else, buy something else. And then there is the probability game. About 60% of Tata owners do not face any problems in first 4-5 years of their ownership. If you feel lucky, you can buy a storme and save a tonne of money!
Very sensible advice.

My Safari is 4.5 years old now (but, only ~25k on ODO though). On my recent drive to RJ in August, I cut through Thane and GJ when it was raining cats and dogs and reached destination ~4AM with very sparse traffic on NH8 (due to rains and late hours). My family (including 2 kids- 8 and 3 years old) slept throughout the journey. They didn't even realize the intensity of rain, darkness, eeriness and occasional potholes that we hit- thanks to the comfort and cushion of Safari. Had it been an unreliable car, I wouldn't have ventured out in it at odd hours .

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 22:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari/Storme don't have a "Taxi" tag attached to it. Scorpio, Innova, Aria, Sumo, XUV etc have the "Tourist" vehicle image.
Scorpio and XUV have tourist vehicle image? I agree about the Innova and Sumo.
Old 11th September 2013, 23:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Without giving an answer to the question, I am going to give a point to ponder: Which among Safari 4WD and Fortuner is safer?

I think Safari is safer, since it uses the same platform as Aria 4WD. Aria 4WD qualifies for Euro NCAP tests (but I don't know its score). I hope Tata did not structurally modify Safari 4WD like they did with Aria RWD.

On the other hand, Fortuner is not sold in Europe or US. Is it because it is not eligible for their safety tests, or that Toyota is not confident of Fortuner's performance in these tests?

Lastly, I think there are more Fortuners featured in "Accidents in India" thread that Safaris, even though Safaris are far higher in number (but that could also be because of premium image attached with Fortuner, or many bad drivers assuming that Fortuner is an excellent highway car).
Old 12th September 2013, 01:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Parm in case you come across a used Fortuner which is low on its Odo, then please do let me know incase you are not keen to buy it. I would not mind the newly launched 4x2 variant also. If I am not wrong you are based in Punjab right?

Thanks a lot.
Currently im working and living in Dubai (NOIDA/Punjab).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Scorpio and XUV have tourist vehicle image? I agree about the Innova and Sumo.
Yes Sir, First it was Sumo, then Qualis, then Innova, then Scorpio and now XUV is a premium tourist vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Without giving an answer to the question, I am going to give a point to ponder: Which among Safari 4WD and Fortuner is safer?

I think Safari is safer, since it uses the same platform as Aria 4WD. Aria 4WD qualifies for Euro NCAP tests (but I don't know its score). I hope Tata did not structurally modify Safari 4WD like they did with Aria RWD.

On the other hand, Fortuner is not sold in Europe or US. Is it because it is not eligible for their safety tests, or that Toyota is not confident of Fortuner's performance in these tests?

Lastly, I think there are more Fortuners featured in "Accidents in India" thread that Safaris, even though Safaris are far higher in number (but that could also be because of premium image attached with Fortuner, or many bad drivers assuming that Fortuner is an excellent highway car).
Toyota has the 4Runner and RAV 4 as the American or European product. The Hilux/Innova/Fortuner are mainly for the Asian and African markets.

Hilux does gets exported to Europe, in North America its the Tacoma and Tundra.

Also the machine does what its handlers make it do. Typically in road accidents in India, its the brand of the vehicle which gets published and not the man behind the steering wheel! eg: Famous BMW case.

The COG of a tall SUV is very high and the driver needs to understand the dynamics and the limitations of the vehicle and drive accordingly.

drive safe guys

PaRm.
Old 12th September 2013, 07:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

It is the first time I am hearing about xuv taxis.
Scorpio yes, there are a lot many of them. If
You afford a little maintenance which I guess you can considering you are ready for a TATA, why don't you have a look some used Monteros? They are safe and reliable too. As you are working in the middle-east you probably can get some spares from there and save money!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks