Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 09:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It is the first time I am hearing about xuv taxis.
Scorpio yes, there are a lot many of them. If
You afford a little maintenance which I guess you can considering you are ready for a TATA, why don't you have a look some used Monteros? They are safe and reliable too. As you are working in the middle-east you probably can get some spares from there and save money!
Not Taxis with a yellow commercial registration plate, but as a "Tourist Vehicle" with private reg plate.

Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero, I have kept them out of the list because their A.S.S. network is not as wide spread as TATA or Toyota, and since I get my vehicles serviced at authorized service centers only with genuine spares and parts, and with not many of those Mitsubishi vehicles on road, I prefer to stay away from them.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:25   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Not Taxis with a yellow commercial registration plate, but as a "Tourist Vehicle" with private reg plate.

Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero, I have kept them out of the list because their A.S.S. network is not as wide spread as TATA or Toyota, and since I get my vehicles serviced at authorized service centers only with genuine spares and parts, and with not many of those Mitsubishi vehicles on road, I prefer to stay away from them.

Considering your need of a 4WD, Are you going to do all these that are shown in the below ad ??

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th September 2013 at 10:37.
Old 12th September 2013, 12:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Then even the pajero is out of question. If its a Toyota then it has to be a fortuner which
Suits your requirements. The Prados in the used market are majorly petrols. If you want a tata then it has to be a new safari because aria won't full fill your OTR needs. Well Apart from this the only option I feel good for you
Would be the xenon/ Scorpio getaway. But considering your needs I doubt you would be having a look at them?
Old 12th September 2013, 13:31   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Are you in Punjab? If so XUV 500 is "safe". However if you drive a scorpio expect lots of checking from cops. They really like to harass people driving scorpios. the reason is that a large percentage of Scorpios with PB number plate are actually illegal taxis doing Airport runs. We see a lot of them on our NH1 runs.
Since there have not been any major storme issue reported(unlike the 2.2 which had timing belt failures, multiple retros regarding fuel pump/Ecu/AC/Power windows etc.,) you can take the Storme risk. It will save you about 9L over a brand new Fortuner 4WD
Old 12th September 2013, 19:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Considering your need of a 4WD, Are you going to do all these that are shown in the below ad ??

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=66Xzn9WGB8M

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Ym1l7DO-yug
Thanks Pavan for the videos, these tests or demonstrations are done in a controlled environment and several practice runs are conducted. But yes, this is the kind of soft offload I would be doing with the 4WD I intend to buy.

Quote:
Then even the pajero is out of question. If its a Toyota then it has to be a fortuner which
Suits your requirements. The Prados in the used market are majorly petrols. If you want a tata then it has to be a new safari because aria won't full fill your OTR needs. Well Apart from this the only option I feel good for you
Would be the xenon/ Scorpio getaway. But considering your needs I doubt you would be having a look at them?
Petrol SUV in India is a no no for me as it will be big pinch on the pocket! I have thought about the Xenon/Getaway, but they look more of goods carriers and very difficult to get them registered as private vehicles. India is not yet a mature market for such lifestyle vehicles at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you in Punjab? If so XUV 500 is "safe". However if you drive a scorpio expect lots of checking from cops. They really like to harass people driving scorpios. the reason is that a large percentage of Scorpios with PB number plate are actually illegal taxis doing Airport runs. We see a lot of them on our NH1 runs.
Since there have not been any major storme issue reported(unlike the 2.2 which had timing belt failures, multiple retros regarding fuel pump/Ecu/AC/Power windows etc.,) you can take the Storme risk. It will save you about 9L over a brand new Fortuner 4WD
Tsk, my in laws are in Punjab and I do travel there often and love the country side pollution free "pind" life. Yes, the Scorpio has a airport run vehicle image which puts me away from buying it, and so are the other vehicles of similar category I mentioned before.

I have good liking towards the Storme, because I know how it has changed under that 15 years old body. But Fortuner still the number one choice because of the its pedigree of Hilux I drive.
Old 12th September 2013, 19:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Petrol SUV in India is a no no for me as it will be big pinch on the pocket! I have thought about the Xenon/Getaway, but they look more of goods carriers and very difficult to get them registered as private vehicles. India is not yet a mature market for such lifestyle vehicles at the moment.
I remember A friends neighbour who had shifted back from Australia and within 12lakhs
Found nothing as good as the xenon and settled for it. Sometime later I saw him in a modifed thar.
Haven't seen him lately. After some basic cosmetic changes which you can get from
The TATA's accessories list itself , you will have the hilux sport feel 😝
But frankly this is my take I never am
Too much in favour of used diesels. Ofcourse toyota's are exceptions. So have you contacted
Any dealer for a used Fortuner?
If you don't want the hassle of the used car search. Then just go and get the safari because
That suits your requirements perfectly. I don't think apart from the Tata badge and the niggles associated with it anything else makes safari that bad.
All the best! 👍
Old 14th September 2013, 10:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember A friends neighbour who had shifted back from Australia and within 12lakhs
Found nothing as good as the xenon and settled for it. Sometime later I saw him in a modifed thar.
Haven't seen him lately. After some basic cosmetic changes which you can get from
The TATA's accessories list itself , you will have the hilux sport feel 😝
But frankly this is my take I never am
Too much in favour of used diesels. Ofcourse toyota's are exceptions. So have you contacted
Any dealer for a used Fortuner?
If you don't want the hassle of the used car search. Then just go and get the safari because
That suits your requirements perfectly. I don't think apart from the Tata badge and the niggles associated with it anything else makes safari that bad.
All the best! 👍
Xenon is too pricey for what it is, basic setup for farm duty and not for family use.

I have contacted few owners of Fortuners and would be taking test drives and getting them evaluated and checked thoroughly at Toyota A.S.S.

And if things don't work out, then its Storme 4WD.

PaRm
Old 15th September 2013, 08:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have contacted few owners of Fortuners and would be taking test drives
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Fortuner.html/
Old 15th September 2013, 22:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks for the information Condor.

I'm not going through the classified adverts, I might end up buying from few owners of Fortuners, whom I know personally.

Thanks anyway for your efforts.
Old 24th September 2013, 14:20   #55
BHPian

All the best. I think either way you will make a good choice. Yes, indeed, there are almost no reports of the Storme misbehaving, in any of the initial ownership reports. Your heart, clearly, is set on the Fortuner. Hope you find a good one!

And if you dont, do buy the Storme. Your initial months will probably be spent in trepidation, but then, going by other reports, you are likely to have a hassle free ownership from then on.

All the best, and do keep us informed on your choice
Old 12th October 2013, 02:37   #56
BHPian

I've been following this thread right from the beginning while I was making up my mind regarding the Storme (yes, the heart was always with it). The thought of a used Pajero did dawn upon me for a whisker (as the used fortuners were beyond my budget), but then I decided to go ahead with a new Storme. How good or bad the decision was, only time will tell, but as of now I'm absolutely lovin' it.

Just curious to know if you made your purchase, already?
Old 12th October 2013, 15:24   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW did you come across any good fortuners in the Used car market? I have been unable to find one in Delhi as yet.
Old 12th October 2013, 15:27   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
How good or bad the decision was, only time will tell, but as of now I'm absolutely lovin' it.
Congrats...!!!

Which variant? Which color?

Can you please start a detailed ownership thread for the benefit of all?
Old 12th October 2013, 16:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats...!!!

Which variant? Which color?

Can you please start a detailed ownership thread for the benefit of all?
Thanks ! I got an EX Urban Bronze, will post an ownership thread once I've taken it for a couple of outstation (long/medium) drives. Right now, I am holding my horses and waiting for some lean periods at work (possibly around Nov-Dec) to venture out on the GQ and stretch the beast's legs.
Old 12th October 2013, 20:57   #60
BHPian

I have been following this thread as I am too in the same dilemma.

My requirement:
Power
Road presence
Comfort on long drives
4x4 capability (preferred) for the few drives upto the mountains and sometime maybe Ladakh too as I have been there on my bike and would like to take family as well through the experience on a 4 wheeler
Reliability and low maintenance.
Creature comforts (whatever is possible)
Lots of boot space as I have a small kid so his stroller fills up my car boot and I need more space.
5-7 seater for the occasional family drives.

Options:
The new fortuner is way beyond my budget (almost Rs. 26 Lakh on road in Noida).
Duster and Terrano are too basic although if I don't get a decent pre owned fortuner I might have to settle with either 1 of them.
Tata Safari/XUV500 are not there yet as compared to a Toyota or Mitsubishi although by themselves are good vehicles
Skoda Yeti is out of question because of the ugly looks and Skoda A.S.S
Pre owned Fortuner
Pre owned Pajero/Pajero Sport

Kind of sold on to for a fortuner but pajero also seems to be a good option

Most Viewed