Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2016, 17:50   #76
BHPian

I have been driving a Storme for the last 1week and it's an absolute delight. If you go for Storme you would not regret it.

But since you said your requirement is real 7 seats, Storme's last row may not be for everyone's liking since they face each other and that row is certainly is not recommended for an 8 hour journey. But the good thing is you can get in and out with ease compared to the last row of fortuner.

Innova GX is a very practical car for you and also costs you the same, which would be a better fit with parents in mind. Bringing Innova into picture because you are also also contemplating ertiga.

For me and my family(only 3), we love Storme. Moving up from cars and a 1 year stint with terrano, I need to change my driving style to keep the passengers happy. That's the only give away.

Just between a used fortuner and a new Storme I would prefer the new storme because the new Storme offers 70% of a new fortuner at a lesser price ( in your case same price, but a used vehicle).

TD both the vehicles along with your full family, concentrate on practical usage (not snob values) and then make a call. Do not forget to experience it with Innova as well.
Old 6th March 2016, 18:04   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaranil View Post
Two years hence I am still in the same dilemma. I am getting a neatly maintained March 2012 4x4 Fortuner at 16.75L from a fellow bhpian.
Quote:
I am confused as I can get a new Safari Storme 4x4 at that price.
Quote:
My requirement is for a 7 seater (self, parents, spouse and kids)

Please help me decide.
Why not consider the XUV 500?

What the XUV has:
  • Excellent space
  • An AWD variant
  • Option of an automatic
  • A brand new car over a used Fortuner
  • A modern design over the aging Safari
  • Better ride quality than the fortuner
  • Rear disc brakes (missing in the fortuner)

A new XUV 500 automatic might cost you around INR 18-21 lakh depending in where you live.

Between the Fortuner and the Safari, I would pick the fortuner. Depending on how much it has run, service history and the replacements to be made, bargain for a good price.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 18:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two years hence I am still in the same dilemma. I am getting a neatly maintained March 2012 4x4 Fortuner at 16.75L from a fellow bhpian. I am confused as I can get a new Safari Storme 4x4 at that price. There are lots of options for buying a new car in that price range. My heart is bubbling for fortuner but mind wants to take a conscious decision. In that price range is it even sensible to go for a 4 year old fortuner ? My requirement is for a 7 seater (self, parents, spouse and kids) . I am kind of convincing myself for Ertiga but it looks more of a compromise which I guess I might rue later. Have read all the fortuner threads in the last 10 days and family has given up on me.

Please help me decide.
Fortuner has poor ride quality as compared to a Storme. The comfort levels felt after a 700kms drive in a Storme is far far higher than a Fortuner. Apart from that the Storme does not fulfill your need for 7 seats. Don't be fooled by the rear jump seats, they are cosmetic for adults and don't offer any safety.
A new Storme with a 4 year extended warranty is completely reliable, and with the new 400, there is no power deficit as such compared to the Fortuner. Also a second hand is second hand, and IMO doesn't come with a new car smell or a new car feel. However a lot of members are very happy going pre owned, so its purely a personal requirement as such.

Ideally since you like the Storme, the only car which can give you similar/better ride comfort, carry seven passengers well, have enough luggage space, has better equipment and interiors is the rather understated Aria. A new Aria will come in about the same price range, I suggest you please have a look at this really underrated car.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 08:05   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Why not consider the XUV 500?

A new XUV 500 automatic might cost you around INR 18-21 lakh depending in where you live.

Between the Fortuner and the Safari, I would pick the fortuner. Depending on how much it has run, service history and the replacements to be made, bargain for a good price.
Mahindra service just does not check all the boxes for me. Fortuner is 1L KM run, service history is clean, plain service. He has added accessories worth 1L. 16.75 is the final price and is not willing to negotiate. It wd have made sense probably at 13L (no offence to other fortuner owners, purely my perception) but seeing the insane prices in the used market, does not look like it will come down in near future. I am noticing a trend of toyotas holding on to their resale value for years. Arrival of the new one in 2017 too would hardly affect the prices as it would be in a different range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A new Storme with a 4 year extended warranty is completely reliable, and with the new 400, there is no power deficit as such compared to the Fortuner. Also a second hand is second hand, and IMO doesn't come with a new car smell or a new car feel. However a lot of members are very happy going pre owned, so its purely a personal requirement as such.

====.
I tend to agree with you (new car smell and feel) and that is what I would not get even after spending 16.75L.

Thanks for your suggestion on Aria. A product I completely missed. Will do some research there.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th March 2016 at 08:23. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote feature
Old 7th March 2016, 09:04   #80
BHPian

If you are looking at Aria its better to wait till June/July since it will be replaced with Hexa. The Aria may continue to be produced in the base variants but the mid and top end would come in the new Hexa avatar.
Old 7th March 2016, 10:39   #81
BHPian

Quote:
. In that price range is it even sensible to go for a 4 year old fortuner ? My requirement is for a 7 seater (self, parents, spouse and kids) . I am kind of convincing myself for Ertiga but it looks more of a compromise which I guess I might rue later. Have read all the fortuner threads in the last 10 days and family has given up on me.

Please help me decide.
Are you looking for a 4X4 ? or a seven seater like ertiga? Your requirement seems a bit confusing.If you have a 16L budget, then why not wait for the new Innova? It is a very comfortable highway cruiser and the most comfortable 7 seater. If you plan on participating in some off road events , then 4x4 makes sense. You will not regret buying Innova at all.
Old 14th April 2016, 11:01   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two years hence I am still in the same dilemma. I am getting a neatly maintained March 2012 4x4 Fortuner at 16.75L from a fellow bhpian. I am confused as I can get a new Safari Storme 4x4 at that price. There are lots of options for buying a new car in that price range. My heart is bubbling for fortuner but mind wants to take a conscious decision. In that price range is it even sensible to go for a 4 year old fortuner ? My requirement is for a 7 seater (self, parents, spouse and kids) . I am kind of convincing myself for Ertiga but it looks more of a compromise which I guess I might rue later. Have read all the fortuner threads in the last 10 days and family has given up on me.

Please help me decide.
Hi Anil, I was in your boat a couple of weeks back and have bought myself a pre-worshipped Fortuner from a Fellow BHPian (suggestion to buy this came from another fellow BHPian and common friend) earlier this month. I sold my Shark same day I brought the Toyota home, it completed 140k kms yesterday and I absolutely do not regret my decision. A well maintained Fortuner is anyday better than likes of Safari and XUV in similar price budget. Suggest you to scan the market for Fortuners which are not abused (I know its hard to find, am saying this after checking more than 2 dozen vehicles!), Patience is the key, my friend. Once you find a vehicle that suits you, negotiate hard and jump on it!

My car came with VERY Detailed Service History (gone to Toyota every 5000 kms like a clockwork) and during 140k service, I asked Toyota After Sales to re-check everything on the car. Nope, not even a screw out of place! Oh and BTW, mine is 2009 Dec model and is pampered like a baby by previous owner. He is a big 4x4 aficionado and the car comes loaded with Ironman 4x4 Suspension kit with 2" lift, Ironman Front Bumper, a 12000 lbs winch, Maxxis 764 MT tires and a proper working snorkel by Ironman 4x4. It had a minor shunt rear-ending a dumper in 2010, was informed by owner about it upfront and it was all covered and repaired under insurance. I double checked with Toyota this week for any possible chassis related damage (I was getting too much into it despite the vehicle running absolutely fine), they replied Negative! Brought a big smile to my face again about my decision.

Those who want to have a taste of what it is capable of, off-road... here is an example.

A few pics below, sorry about the quality since the car was in my basement, they came out really bad! Working on an Ownership thread, will post soon.

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0678-2.jpg

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0679-2.jpg

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0680.jpg

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0681.jpg

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0723.jpg

A few pics shared by owner about the accident!
New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-1.jpg

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-2.jpg

Last edited by Ace F355 : 14th April 2016 at 11:10.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 12:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the condition of the Fortuner more than anything else. Considering it is based on the Hilux platform, those vehicles are sturdy and built to run a million kilometres. Just ask Topgear who tried to kill a Hilux.
However the key here is how the vehicle has been maintained till now. If it has been babied and had no major issues, I say go for it. The new Tata v bucked are better but I still have a hangover about their previous vehicle quality so would rather stay away from them given a personal choice. People say it has improved a lot though.
Old 14th April 2016, 15:55   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Oh and BTW, mine is 2009 Dec model and is pampered like a baby by previous owner. He is a big 4x4 aficionado and the car comes loaded with Ironman 4x4 Suspension kit with 2" lift, Ironman Front Bumper, a 12000 lbs winch, Maxxis 764 MT tires and a proper working snorkel by Ironman 4x4. It had a minor shunt rear-ending a dumper in 2010, was informed by owner about it upfront and it was all covered and repaired under insurance. I double checked with Toyota this week for any possible chassis related damage (I was getting too much into it despite the vehicle running absolutely fine), they replied Negative! Brought a big smile to my face again about my decision.
Guess what, I have seen the car personally in 2011 IIRC. Met the owner as well He is from my place but appears they have relocated to Delhi.

What did he get?

I was in same shoes as you, was sick & tired of roads, in the meeting Rahul did tell me, being in Bihar, you will move to a SUV and see, I did.

How is your experience of the transit between a petrol, high revving lowest slung sedan to a torque monster, second floor seated SUV? Can't wait for ownership.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guess what, I have seen the car personally in 2011 IIRC. Met the owner as well He is from my place but appears they have relocated to Delhi.

What did he get?

I was in same shoes as you, was sick & tired of roads, in the meeting Rahul did tell me, being in Bihar, you will move to a SUV and see, I did.

How is your experience of the transit between a petrol, high revving lowest slung sedan to a torque monster, second floor seated SUV? Can't wait for ownership.
Yep, he is originally from your place only, but now based in NCR. He is waiting in line for the new Endeavour, however hon'able Supreme Court's ban on not allowing new vehicles above 2000 cc is playing a spoil sport from him, for now I guess. Once ban is lifted, he is hooked onto the new Endeavour.

Although I do have a XUV & another 4x2 AT Fortuner in family so I already knew what to expect from a tall SUV Vs a sleek low slung sedan. However, the transition towards this Fortuner has still been of an extreme kind, so to speak (this being a slight different character than a Normal Fortuner, the suspension is a big factor towards this). I just returned from a 1200 kms trip into the Himalayas during past long weekend, and feeling more comfortable with my Fortuner now. The vehicle performed flawlessly and gave me the confidence to 'Go Further!' like the famous tagline of Ford. Below is a quick pic from the banks of Sutlej river near Rampur, Himachal.
New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0807-2.jpg

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner-img_0812-2.jpg

I do miss the chuckability of the Civic, however from a practical point of view, Fortuner is leagues ahead of Civic for me. Still getting used to keeping the revs low and ride the tremendous wave of that massive torque!

Let's keep this discussion aside for my ownership thread and get back to the original topic of this thread, shall we!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 18th April 2016 at 09:35. Reason: adding some more details
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 12:03   #86

Quote:
Hi Anil, I was in your boat a couple of weeks back and have bought myself a pre-worshipped Fortuner from a Fellow BHPian (suggestion to buy this came from another fellow BHPian and common friend) earlier this month.

A well maintained Fortuner is anyday better than likes of Safari and XUV in similar price budget. Suggest you to scan the market for Fortuners which are not abused (I know its hard to find, am saying this after checking more than 2 dozen vehicles!), Patience is the key, my friend. Once you find a vehicle that suits you, negotiate hard and jump on it!
After a long battle of head vs heart, the heart finally won. I got the fortuner home yesterday. Covered 200Kms already in less than 11 hours. Its a charm to drive. The only problem that i have faced till now is parking in my building. But I guess I will figure that out. Planning a 600KM drive over the weekend. Will update my experience.
Old 18th April 2016, 12:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a long battle of head vs heart, the heart finally won. I got the fortuner home yesterday. Covered 200Kms already in less than 11 hours. Its a charm to drive. The only problem that i have faced till now is parking in my building. But I guess I will figure that out. Planning a 600KM drive over the weekend. Will update my experience.
Congratulations!

It is a capable vehicle, well suited to people who know what they are getting. Do share more details (a few pics won't hurt) and looking forward to an ownership review from your side.
Old 20th April 2016, 21:42   #88
BHPian

New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner

Quote:

My car came with VERY Detailed Service History (gone to Toyota every 5000 kms like a clockwork)

Hey I guess I remember reading on TBhp itself about the owner having some trouble with the gearbox. I can't find the thread now as its way too old. However I did find a blog of his regarding the same on another forum : http://www.4wd4all.com/forums/showth...ty-and-service.
I identified the vehicle by seeing the sticker on one of the accident pics of the car's front windshield.

Just thought I should let you know about it.

Last edited by dean5545 : 20th April 2016 at 21:44.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 09:29   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey I guess I remember reading on TBhp itself about the owner having some trouble with the gearbox. I can't find the thread now as its way too old. However I did find a blog of his regarding the same on another forum : http://www.4wd4all.com/forums/showth...ty-and-service.
I identified the vehicle by seeing the sticker on one of the accident pics of the car's front windshield.

Just thought I should let you know about it.
Yes all this was shared with me beforehand and I looked into vehicle service history as well. No issues with gearbox now
Old 27th June 2017, 13:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

How does one test drive a 4x4 Fortuner in city to ensure that the 4x4 system is all good?

I'm looking for a used Fortuner (4x4 only) and while a quick service history check can tell me if the car is serviced on time etc. but I'm not sure what's the best way to test drive a 4x4.

Most Viewed