Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 13:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Safari Storme 4WD or Used Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW did you come across any good fortuners in the Used car market? I have been unable to find one in Delhi as yet.
ANS: I have few family friends who bought the first generation 2009-2010 Fortuners and would be up for sale in next 6-12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
I have been following this thread as I am too in the same dilemma.

My requirement:
Power
Road presence
Comfort on long drives
4x4 capability (preferred) for the few drives upto the mountains and sometime maybe Ladakh too as I have been there on my bike and would like to take family as well through the experience on a 4 wheeler
Reliability and low maintenance.
Creature comforts (whatever is possible)
Lots of boot space as I have a small kid so his stroller fills up my car boot and I need more space.
5-7 seater for the occasional family drives.

Options:
The new fortuner is way beyond my budget (almost Rs. 26 Lakh on road in Noida).
Duster and Terrano are too basic although if I don't get a decent pre owned fortuner I might have to settle with either 1 of them.
Tata Safari/XUV500 are not there yet as compared to a Toyota or Mitsubishi although by themselves are good vehicles
Skoda Yeti is out of question because of the ugly looks and Skoda A.S.S
Pre owned Fortuner
Pre owned Pajero/Pajero Sport

Kind of sold on to for a fortuner but pajero also seems to be a good option
ANS: I would advise a brand new Storme as its a very capable vehicle in terms of mechanicals, the only thing holding back its sales is the similarity to the existing Safari.

XUV/Terrano/Duster, I would not advise as they are not the old school 4WD (as in body on ladder chassis) and cannot be as rough and tough compared to Fortuner, Storme and Pajero for your offroad trips as these three can take the beating and still come out with flying colours.

Also keep in mind the all important A.S.S. for any vehicle that you end up buying.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:43   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kind of sold on to for a fortuner but pajero also seems to be a good option
Its really proving to be a tough choice to find a used fortuner priced sensibly. I really do not understand paying 16L+ for a used fortuner which is 2010-11 model with odo over 50k kms. The new car that time costed 21L and somehow the quoted prices seemed way too much to me.
If you cannot get a new one, then rather settle for the XUV/Storme. XUV will be more comfortable than the Fortuner and is loaded with features. And a member already drove it from Chennai to Leh , so rest assured you can easily take it there too.
Old 20th October 2013, 18:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:

Its really proving to be a tough choice to find a used fortuner priced sensibly. I really do not understand paying 16L+ for a used fortuner which is 2010-11 model with odo over 50k kms. The new car that time costed 21L and somehow the quoted prices seemed way too much to me.
If you cannot get a new one, then rather settle for the XUV/Storme. XUV will be more comfortable than the Fortuner and is loaded with features. And a member already drove it from Chennai to Leh , so rest assured you can easily take it there too.
I checked out a used fortuner 4x4 white, done 55k kms and is a nov 2011 model. I might get a deal of around 15 lakh. Tyres are stock so might need a change in another 10-20k kms. Some minor touch ups on the bumpers. Insurance is due in feb 2014

Does it sound like a good option.

Also I noticed the front grill had vertical stripes and chrome around lights and chrome side view and handles. Is it some accessories available at that time as I don't remember vertical front grill.
Old 20th October 2013, 19:38   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked out a used fortuner 4x4 white, done 55k kms and is a nov 2011 model. I might get a deal of around 15 lakh. Tyres are stock so might need a change in another 10-20k kms. Some minor touch ups on the bumpers. Insurance is due in feb 2014.
Is this the refreshed model? 15L sounds decent to me going by the prices in the used car market for the Fortuner. BTW how comes Nov, 2011 car has insurance renewal in Feb?
Old 20th October 2013, 19:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Is this the refreshed model? 15L sounds decent to me going by the prices in the used car market for the Fortuner. BTW how comes Nov, 2011 car has insurance renewal in Feb?
No this is not the refreshed model as that was launched in 2012 but this does have the sports kit with the touch based dvd player with bluetooth kit.

This is already pre owned and the insurance was changed.
Old 20th October 2013, 20:52   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No this is not the refreshed model as that was launched in 2012 but this does have the sports kit with the touch based dvd player with bluetooth kit.

This is already pre owned and the insurance was changed.
Less than 2 years and it has already seen 2 owners? Proceed cautiously. Do you know the seller or is it with the dealer? If with a dealer, I would stay away. But that is just me. We have always bought most of our cars pre-owned. But everytime from the seller directly and most times the seller was a known person via a friend or relative.
Old 21st October 2013, 23:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:

Less than 2 years and it has already seen 2 owners? Proceed cautiously. Do you know the seller or is it with the dealer? If with a dealer, I would stay away. But that is just me. We have always bought most of our cars pre-owned. But everytime from the seller directly and most times the seller was a known person via a friend or relative.
Point taken. I might then have to settle down with a terrano instead as I am not in favour of tata or mahindra.

Also I could not find a decent comparison between the petrol and 110 diesel terrano (I do around a 700 kms a month at an average)
Old 21st October 2013, 23:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Point taken. I might then have to settle down with a terrano instead as I am not in favour of tata or mahindra.

Also I could not find a decent comparison between the petrol and 110 diesel terrano (I do around a 700 kms a month at an average)
There is a review of ACI between XUV 5OO and Terrano both top end and Terrano won. That said i would suggest you stick to diesel since petrol SUVs never sell in resale market forget about getting a good price. The only in demand petrol SUV in resale market is the CRV, that too at pittance. BTW if your running is less why not a well maintained 3 year old CRV? You will get one for under 13-15L and there is no comparison with Terrano at any level, think about it.
Old 22nd October 2013, 00:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you are open to petrol then why not look at used Outlander? Its such an amazing product. Killer looks, excellent interiors and features. You will find hardly used vehicles for dirt cheap prices.

If buying new I would suggest going for diesel. With an SUV you never know if your monthly running will increase. The petrol variants should be pretty thirsty I guess.

Also if you are looking at 5 seater options then why not consider Ertiga ( with last seat folded and gives you the option of 7 seats for that rare occasion) or the Yeti?
Old 31st October 2013, 15:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
BTW if your running is less why not a well maintained 3 year old CRV? You will get one for under 13-15L and there is no comparison with Terrano at any level, think about it.
I would not recommend a CRV given its ground clearance (170 mm) unless the only intended runs are to the mall and office.
Old 14th December 2013, 17:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
There is a review of ACI between XUV 5OO and Terrano both top end and Terrano won...
Terrano won? Was it on the account of the ride quality?
Old 14th December 2013, 17:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Terrano won? Was it on the account of the ride quality?
Yes, and not just that but various other aspects. But if you want a 7 seater, there is no option but XUV. Take a look at it;

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...00-361099.aspx
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 16:27   #73
BANNED

I for one take these reviews by ACI with a pich of salt. They seem to take money from manufacturers for reviewing for and against. Their most common/predictable trait is- when comparing a newly launched model with olders models, almost invariably the newer launched one wins. Also a model with better 0-100 is their favourite, all other things equal or not.
When the XUV500 was launched they went gung-ho praising it as if all hell has broken loose, and now every other model seems to be better than XUV500 as per them.
Well, just my thoughts.
chaudh2s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 11:25   #74
BHPian

Is there any news at all of Tata Motors offering an engine upgrade on the Storme like they did on the Aria? Given that the two models share a lot, i was kinda hoping that they would offer the upgraded 150 PS engine on the Storme as well....
Old 6th March 2016, 16:12   #75

Two years hence I am still in the same dilemma. I am getting a neatly maintained March 2012 4x4 Fortuner at 16.75L from a fellow bhpian. I am confused as I can get a new Safari Storme 4x4 at that price. There are lots of options for buying a new car in that price range. My heart is bubbling for fortuner but mind wants to take a conscious decision. In that price range is it even sensible to go for a 4 year old fortuner ? My requirement is for a 7 seater (self, parents, spouse and kids) . I am kind of convincing myself for Ertiga but it looks more of a compromise which I guess I might rue later. Have read all the fortuner threads in the last 10 days and family has given up on me.

Please help me decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks