Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 12:00   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
For example my Fortuner has visited ASC 12 times in 36 months, with my mahindra vehicles i lost count !!. Still my THAR CRDe rocks ...
12 times in 36 months is like once in every 3 months. Isn't that quite high by Toyota standards? Or is your running so high?
Old 29th September 2013, 12:02   #137
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
To me a White TFort looks bigger than its actual size and gives out an aura of power.

IMO, if you are buying the TFort for its presence; white may be common color out there, but it still has a commanding looks.

All other colors somehow dont match up.
+100. Totally agree. In fact even a white Innova or Duster looks slightly bigger than a silver or grey color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry did not understand your point here. If I am buying a car, I will buy what I like right? And not what my friends think is right for me? Or did you mean something else?
Needless to say this car is to replace the Innova and we already have 2 sedans in our garage, both still in there early years of life.
It's not about what your friends and family think is right for you. It's about your family and friends feeling good about your new car. For example, If I decide to buy a certain car and my family and friends warn me that it's going to be a bad/wrong decision (providing rational reasons ofcourse), then I will think twice before buying that car. On the other hand, it does help when you get a nod from your near and dear ones. At the end of the day it's also a financial decision.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:20   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Wow this thread has come a long way. You still undecided Mohit?

Also I just reached Gurgaon half an hour back. Left Chandigarh at 6 45 in the Fortuner and what a ride as always. I was grinning all the way. Get an auto, life's too short to change gears and that torque is seductive.
No am not undecided anymore. Currently trying to find a good Fortuner in the used car market. If unable to find one until Diwali, then would probably be booking a new one. In that case still unsure about MT vs AT variants and will only be solved once I am able to TD both vehicles. Quite a few people I have talked to have advised me against the 5 speed AT box calling it too outdated and sluggish. But I may not be able to be the best judge of it since I have never driven an AT car before. On the other hand given the traffic scenario thee days and also for the want to experience something new, the AT sounds very promising.

Quote:
Thanks for this thread.Leaving Mohit undecided,I brought a pre worshipped silver 4wd MT fortuner from Toyota Trust Bangalore.
Congratulations on your new car. What was the price you got it for and how many kms on the ODO so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
It's not about what your friends and family think is right for you. It's about your family and friends feeling good about your new car. For example, If I decide to buy a certain car and my family and friends warn me that it's going to be a bad/wrong decision (providing rational reasons ofcourse), then I will think twice before buying that car. On the other hand, it does help when you get a nod from your near and dear ones. At the end of the day it's also a financial decision.
Well to be honest the Fortuner's massive street presence means that it is a hit with most folks. So my sister and parents both like the looks although Dad knows that the seating comfort will not be as great as the Innova. Infact he was in favour of changing the Innova with a new Innova. And I do not hold him at fault there since the car is so bloody damn comfortable and spacious and a true low maintenance workshorse. On the other hand the final nail in the coffin in this XUV vs Fortuner debate was put in by my sister who gave me one of the nastiest looks I have ever seen when she got to know that I am thinking of buying the XUV over the Fortuner.

Also threads like these finally convinced me that I am still not really prepared to put my trust and money in the Mahindra brand:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-workshop.html

Last edited by drmohitg : 29th September 2013 at 13:30.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:48   #139
Senior - BHPian

It's nice to see that you have nearly come to a conclusion but look at it this way the XUV being cheaper, has managed to get the same number of votes. As a voter, once I know someone is willing to spend a certain amount I tell him/her not to bother with the cheaper vehicle. But here it isnt the case.
I still think the Fortuner is not the best bet for that kind of money. Have you had a chance to look at the Pajero yet?
Old 29th September 2013, 13:50   #140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

12 times in 36 months is like once in every 3 months. Isn't that quite high by Toyota standards? Or is your running so high?
Boss please reread my post.Its 9times in 36 months..

Last edited by Rajith : 29th September 2013 at 14:00.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:59   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I still think the Fortuner is not the best bet for that kind of money. Have you had a chance to look at the Pajero yet?
No I haven't checked it out yet. But since I am not really into off roading, hence the apparent advantage of Pajero doesn't apply in my case. Moreover this is a large sum of money for us and I would not be very keen on putting it on Mitsubishi in its current state of affairs.
Old 29th September 2013, 14:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

No I haven't checked it out yet. But since I am not really into off roading, hence the apparent advantage of Pajero doesn't apply in my case. Moreover this is a large sum of money for us and I would not be very keen on putting it on Mitsubishi in its current state of affairs.
The difference is not just seen off-road sir, it is seen everywhere city included. The ride, the seating, the drive, the features. As a car itself (quit thinking about the brand for a second) it deserves to be sold at this price point. It is in the end a no-nonsense Jap product so its reliability is comparable to a Toyota, since it is a Pajero, parts wont be an issue, and unlike skoda, as long as you find a good dealership and hang around at the workshops, things are done satisfactorily.

I urge you to please drive both the Fortuner and the Pajero on the same day. I know it isnt nice to hear, but your decision will definitely be made a bit more difficult after you have driven the Mitsubishi.

In the end, it is nice to drive everything in the price bracket before buying a car. It's only good sense no? :P

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th September 2013 at 14:10.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 16:15   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess your post has been edited subsequently after the typo!
Old 29th September 2013, 16:43   #144

The New XUV 5OO has got most of its niggles sorted now and even on this forum you would be able to hardly find any complaints from owners of vehicles manufactured in the last 6 months.

Additional 10 Lac for a Fortuner without even half the equipment you find on an XUV doesn't make sense to me. Fortuner was a great car when it was launched but Toyota really needs to pull up socks and provide features to match the competition if they are not looking at reducing prices.
Old 29th September 2013, 20:11   #145
BHPian

[quote=drmohitg;3251590]

Quite a few people I have talked to have advised me against the 5 speed AT box calling it too outdated and sluggish.

On the other hand the final nail in the coffin in this XUV vs Fortuner debate was put in by my sister who gave me one of the nastiest looks I have ever seen when she got to know that I am thinking of buying the XUV over the Fortuner.

For some strange reason AT in general is considered sluggish in India. And 4/5 speed AT boxes are considered junk by many. In the US most folks still drive 4/5 speed auto cars (no tiptronics/paddles). And trust me, they drive way more than us Indians. And their requirements are generally more from a car. I strongly suggest you take TDs of the AT Fortuner at least 3 times on different conditions and judge it for yourself.

Your sister giving you that look - that's the kinda point I was trying to make. There are a bunch of cars my family wouldn't allow me to own. And it's hard to go against them especially when they have a point or two that's quite logical and rational.

Quote:
9 times in 36 months is a lot of times to get a Fortuner serviced. What were the issues you faced? Please share your experience in detail. I wouldn't buy a car if I've to take it to service 9 times in 36 months.
Old 29th September 2013, 21:04   #146
BANNED

No issues faced.It was 5000kms check up and 10000kms service.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 22:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

Just my 2 cents doc. If you can afford the extra 10 odd lakhs for the Fortuner, go for it. Yes, you can buy a small hatch and still have money left over, but would you really use it. Unfortunately Toyota vehicles are overpriced, but they are really worthwhile vehicles to own. You should know with your Innova and Corolla
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 23:03   #148
BHPian

I drive an XUV and in 15 months, have covered 38000kms which includes a 10000km trip to Leh from Chennai and back. To me, XUV has been a bullet proof vehicle when it comes to reliability and endurance. The best thing I like about the XUV, is the power, dynamics and cruising ability - Today too I just completed a 1400km trip in two days.

Service costs have been really low and service attention has been fantastic so far. If Mahindra will introduce a good "true" 4WD SUV (to the likes of the XUV), I will go for it eyes closed, as my next car. That is the confidence that Mahindra has given me in the last 15 months of XUV ownership.

What I miss is the 4WD capability that I would get in a TFORT. Otherwise, to me they are pretty much the same. T FORT looks very butch and I like it a lot, but 10L extra for that, I will re-think again!

People here may say that "see the XUV niggles thread". I read that completely and took the plunge. I have not faced any of those issues actually. and To me, Murphys law works - if you fear that your vehicle will face niggles, you WILL face them even if you buy the best of the best. Its one life - Take it easy!

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 29th September 2013 at 23:05.
Sathya_sc is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 12:19   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I drive an XUV and in 15 months, have covered 38000kms which includes a 10000km trip to Leh from Chennai and back. To me, XUV has been a bullet proof vehicle when it comes to reliability and endurance. The best thing I like about the XUV, is the power, dynamics and cruising ability - Today too I just completed a 1400km trip in two days.

Service costs have been really low and service attention has been fantastic so far. If Mahindra will introduce a good "true" 4WD SUV (to the likes of the XUV), I will go for it eyes closed, as my next car. That is the confidence that Mahindra has given me in the last 15 months of XUV ownership.

What I miss is the 4WD capability that I would get in a TFORT. Otherwise, to me they are pretty much the same. T FORT looks very butch and I like it a lot, but 10L extra for that, I will re-think again!

People here may say that "see the XUV niggles thread". I read that completely and took the plunge. I have not faced any of those issues actually. and To me, Murphys law works - if you fear that your vehicle will face niggles, you WILL face them even if you buy the best of the best. Its one life - Take it easy!
I echo the same. My run so far has been niggle free. Covered 10000 km in 10 months. I do not consider stuck ICE once in a year as a niggle. Braking, low beam lights are day 1 design issues which were there when we purchased the car and hence do not qualify as niggles.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 20:20   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
a better choice of words and has lesser probability of offending.

In this specific instance, "XUV's looks are not to my liking" should have sufficed.
Point taken. "Angrezi" does matter eh ?
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks