Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 02:54   #151
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No I haven't checked it out yet. But since I am not really into off roading, hence the apparent advantage of Pajero doesn't apply in my case. Moreover this is a large sum of money for us and I would not be very keen on putting it on Mitsubishi in its current state of affairs.
Doc, Since you are weighing up price quotient equally with other parameters in your so called dilemma ( wish i had it ), I'd suggest bargaining hard for a Pajero Sport which will turn heads any day and fortuners are as common as Innovas these days. 5 years is a whole new generation looking at the pace of new launches in the recent years. I'd put my money on the value it offers than the reliability. If i were you, I'd plonk 15L on storme and rest on Polo GT. If one goes to workshop there is always another and do hell with reliability. No car has stalled me in the middle of a road ever .Any car will get boring to drive after a few months. In all likelihood, 20+ lakh car will depreciates a lot more than a 10+ lakh car. I understand there is nothing called a "perfect" car but if ~30L is a big investment ( for me it is ), it better strike atleast 80% to your liking , else buy something cheaper and trade in for a better car in future. Driving a new car in a span of two years is a luxury in itself.

New Ford Endy is soon to launch.Do some work on similar launches and how they have been doing in other countries just to get an idea if you have to wait. My vote has gone to Fortuner since i cannot stand the look of an XUV. Wonderfully packaged for the price but among the other masculine SUVs in the country including scorpio, XUV is a transgender. No offence to XUV owners !
blackbeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:02   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Doc, Since you are weighing up price quotient equally with other parameters in your so called dilemma ( wish i had it ), I'd suggest bargaining hard for a Pajero Sport which will turn heads any day and fortuners are as common as Innovas these days. 5 years is a whole new generation looking at the pace of new launches in the recent years. I'd put my money on the value it offers than the reliability. If i were you, I'd plonk 15L on storme and rest on Polo GT. If one goes to workshop there is always another and do hell with reliability. No car has stalled me in the middle of a road ever .Any car will get boring to drive after a few months. In all likelihood, 20+ lakh car will depreciates a lot more than a 10+ lakh car. I understand there is nothing called a "perfect" car but if ~30L is a big investment ( for me it is ), it better strike atleast 80% to your liking , else buy something cheaper and trade in for a better car in future. Driving a new car in a span of two years is a luxury in itself.

New Ford Endy is soon to launch.Do some work on similar launches and how they have been doing in other countries just to get an idea if you have to wait. My vote has gone to Fortuner since i cannot stand the look of an XUV. Wonderfully packaged for the price but among the other masculine SUVs in the country including scorpio, XUV is a transgender. No offence to XUV owners !
Couple points:
- When you talk about 10L+ vs 25L+ car, if the person has money and is willing to spend 25L+ on a car then I don't think he would worry much about depreciation (and perhaps too much about FE). In this case it's mostly the decision taken by his heart.
- +100 on bringing Pajero into consideration. Mohit, just fyi: none of the Mitsubishi vehicles are available in automatic in India. Very sad. If you're ok with a manual car then Pajero must definitely be a contender. Do check the local Mitsubishi service accessibility, quality and cost of maintenance over a longer period of time - because that's the only factor that could potentially go against the Pajero.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:49   #153
BHPian

Hello Dear,
I had the same passion for T.Fort since the day it was launched and literally saw it go from 18 L to 30 L and often thought (ridiculously ) what if I died before owning one ...damn.
However Almighty has different ways of addressing, he heard me and sent the XUV500 as a graceful, fully rounded, sleeker, sexier, more alive, agile and affordable SUV that once again made me realize that God has better plans for us than we think. There was no way I would have invested that money in a TF (going exactly by logic of GTO ), however got a product at half price 12.7 L OTR in oct 2011 when I picked up W6.
You dont want niggles, go for W6 instead of W8 as difference is mainly all catalogue gadgets (i honestly do not even use micro hybrid start stop, voice commands etc so i can live without hillhold etc). Its a nice and contemporary looking, comparatively frugal VFM SUV that can carry my family of 4 (at times 6) on long stretches with ride comfort, decent presence and pleasure of having saved on the opportunity cost of the remainder money (had i opted for TF).
Its agile and behaves carlike even on my daily office commute ( 1.5 yrs Delhi to Gurgaon) and now (Delhi to Noida Xpressway). I love its road manners, be it spirited burst of overtaking or lethargic cruise on empty stretches of road. IMHO these are the moment of truth realities that you experience and most primary is when the rubber hits the road, i.e the ride quality, maneuverability (considering the heavy jams ) and overall experience of those kms covered from point A to B. Thats where XUV wont let you down . I assure you from 2 yrs and 41k covered so far (done many long road trips) . My wife always complements after getting out of the car as fresh as boarded even after 300+ kms single stretch journey (which as heard from at least 2 friends may not be the exact case in TF as the ride quality at times can take a toll on you back - middle row).

+XUV is more chiseled (put TF like SUV on serious cardio and 6 pack regime) and whoa! you get get sexy lines flowing all around (subjective : TF has plain wall door panels).
+ quicker (better pick up)
+ Size : lesser space needed to negotiate the overtakes etc
+ DRLs, cruise control etc at 13L!
+ good economy - 13- 14kmpl overall
+ reasonable servicing cost ( 4k for full service - labour + all parts)

- enjoying 3 yr warranty , however not sure if major replacement arises after that (however wont retain it post 4- 5 yrs max)

It had many issues initially ( as it was 1st XUV in Delhi lot and M&M sorted out all of them) and Iam a happy customer today, the national head is a call away and replies mails even at 1am in the morning).
Secondly, its relatively easier to replace a 13 L vehicle post 3 -4 yrs ( as someone rightly said you tend to lose interest in any car post couple of months).
At that situation a 30 L vehicle becomes a humongous liability and may give some serious guilt trip.
If I would ever opt for TF , would second GTO ( a used one at 16- 18 L), that too for 4x4 (remembering a Pajero scaling an iced slope at radisson simla)
Below is the ownership experience but newer XUV wont have 90 percent of issues on the first place.

Cheers!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-delhi-12.html
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 20:15   #154
Team-BHP Support

Doctor, I was desisting from putting anything on this thread till now. There is already enough here to confuse you for the next 1 year further.

Nonethless, since I voted I thought I will also add a few lines of my thoughts here
1. My XUV came from the second lot of vehicles
2. To date it has covered 21000 plus kms
3. Only issue I ever had was the PS failure in the very early days (later, for M&M it was a reason for recall)
4. My drives included a few short (550 kms each way) to one mid sized ones (4000 kms both ways) and one long one (8000 kms over 2 weeks) besides my daily drives
5. It has been a fav experiences with no glitches ever!

Of the 3 people in my office in the same circle as I am and owning the XUV none have any big issues to report and are all happy. Only one has some grumbles about the ASS.

My advice - If niggles and issues are really bothering you, do weigh these well. Many look a little over the top to me. Some major issues were there in the early days. Since then things have definitely changed a lot. But that's my personal opinion only. You need to take an informed decision.

Finally, one of my friends recently wanted a SUV and we finally zeroed in and bought a used Fortuner. It had 83000 kms on the clock. Was 4 years old. And was scratchless. It costed us 15.5 lakhs. Came with a lot of additional fixtures some of which my friend felt were too gaudy for a senior guy to take to office (it belonged to a builder). He left the double din touch screen and a few other things though.

At 83000 kms the car looks and runs like a brand new one. We got it examined at Toyota ASS for 1400 bucks or so. They gave it a thumbs up. According to them for the T-Fort the first major service expense comes at around 1.5 lakh kms. So for the next
65000 kms it is all regular service. My friend felt that by then he would have sold the vehicle anyhow.

Bottomline - In case you are gravitating towards a used TFort do not look only for a 3000 kms run piece. A diesel car at that cost will rarely come up for sale when it is so new unless it or its owner had a misfortune of some sort. Get a 50k to 80k run piece for around 15 lakhs and you should still be good.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st October 2013 at 20:19.
Zappo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 21:27   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
At 83000 kms the car looks and runs like a brand new one. We got it examined at Toyota ASS for 1400 bucks or so. They gave it a thumbs up. According to them for the T-Fort the first major service expense comes at around 1.5 lakh kms. So for the next
65000 kms it is all regular service. My friend felt that by then he would have sold the vehicle anyhow.
Mohit, The information provided by Zappo would make existing owners feel good about their decision to buy the TFort - it sounds almost as if TForts have endless life. This would also make many consider owning a TFort. But we need to look at this information in a different way (especially in the presence of XUV in the market). From an economics perspective, if you are planning to own a SUV for many years (we are talking 150+K kms), then it might make sense to go for TFort because in the long term the high initial cost would be offset by low/predictable maintenance cost and longevity of the vehicle. On the other hand, if you plan to keep the car for a fixed number of years or less than 100K kms, then it might make sense to go for XUV from an economics perspective.

Remember, every thing is great about Fortuner except for the price and ride quality. And everything is great about the XUV except for the fact that it's a vehicle from the Mahindra stable - so we know what to expect or what not to expect. If XUV had a Toyota or Honda badge this would have been a shorter thread.

Finally, I would like to repeat what I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I suggest you TD the Automatic version of Fortuner few times in different conditions. I know quite a few people who have fallen in love with automatics lately - thanks to the traffic congestions in our cities.

Last edited by kaizanfan : 1st October 2013 at 21:29.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:41   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Do bear with me for some more time.

After reading and drooling over the Fortuner OTR thread by the Mumbai team, I have started thinking why not get the 4x4 Fortuner. Have never experienced any off roading till date but since last 3-4 days have been constantly been thinking about it. Watched a lot of Youtube videos on the Fortuner offroading events across various cities and they appeared too much fun with all that slush and mud flying around. And more so since the truck is going to be with us for a long long time then why not? Its going to cost 1.5L over the 4x2 MT but then gives you the biggest strength of the Fortuner that is 4x4 ability.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd October 2013 at 22:42.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:05   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After reading and drooling over the Fortuner OTR thread by the Mumbai team, I have started thinking why not get the 4x4 Fortuner. Have never experienced any off roading till date but since last 3-4 days have been constantly been thinking about it.
This point has been raised by many in this thread.
Since you can afford it, it really makes sense to go for the manual 4x4. This is one area where the XUV is nowhere near the Fortuner.

Don't think over it, make your decision for the 4x4 and you'll enjoy it.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:23   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After reading and drooling over the Fortuner OTR thread by the Mumbai team, I have started thinking why not get the 4x4 Fortuner. Its going to cost 1.5L over the 4x2 MT but then gives you the biggest strength of the Fortuner that is 4x4 ability.
I have said this earlier. If you are buying a Fortuner buy the 4X4 one. What's the point in buying such an expensive vehicle - with a number of shortcomings - if you don't utilize some of its greatest strengths?

The 4X4 is also built tougher (if you look at the underside).
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:33   #159
BHPian

Quote:

After reading and drooling over the Fortuner OTR thread by the Mumbai team, I have started thinking why not get the 4x4 Fortuner. Have never experienced any off roading till date but since last 3-4 days have been constantly been thinking about it. Watched a lot of Youtube videos on the Fortuner offroading events across various cities and they appeared too much fun with all that slush and mud flying around. And more so since the truck is going to be with us for a long long time then why not? Its going to cost 1.5L over the 4x2 MT but then gives you the biggest strength of the Fortuner that is 4x4 ability.
Hi drmohitg I would really recommend the 4x4 version as nilanjanray has mentioned that the 4x4 is one of the strengths of the Fortuner along with 4x4 you get VSC,which is a life saving safety feature necessary to have in any SUV.

P.S.:Have used the fortuner's 4x4 inside the city limits too when my friends Fortuner fell into an uncovered manhole.Without the low range gearbox and 4 wheel drive it would have been impossible to get the beast out without any external help!
Inshort it just increases your go anywhere quotient.

Last edited by dean5545 : 4th October 2013 at 17:39.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 22:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

Posting this on behalf of a friend. His budget is 15 lakhs. Is the XUV a good option/ only option? He doesn't like the duster. Any other SUV that fits in his budget?
Old 7th October 2013, 22:20   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Posting this on behalf of a friend. His budget is 15 lakhs. Is the XUV a good option/ only option? He doesn't like the duster. Any other SUV that fits in his budget?
Well can't say its an only option, but definitely its the best one. Xuv's got everything, comfort, features, safety, fun to drive, now that most of the niggles have been taken care of, it sure is the best pick in my opinion, in/around 15l range.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:32   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

One vehicle almost inevitably overlooked in this segment is the Ssangyong Rexton. Have you considered it?
Old 8th October 2013, 06:47   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
One vehicle almost inevitably overlooked in this segment is the Ssangyong Rexton. Have you considered it?
My friend lives in Indore, so a non existent service backup means he had to zero in on the XUV.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 08:21   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Rexton costs a cool 10 lacs more than the Xuv. So a person looking at 15l segment may not like the Rexton much price wise.

Last edited by drmohitg : 8th October 2013 at 08:23.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 09:17   #165
Senior - BHPian

Came across this price list that was obtained in 2010. How atrocious!!

Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner-image872403839.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner-image3354187181.jpg
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks