Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 23:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

Seems, like mostly its gonna be a Fortuner. A good sparingly used Fortuner around 18-19l would make the perfect sense here and that's what you should be looking upto.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 23:33   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So when is the Toyota coming home?

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Seems, like mostly its gonna be a Fortuner. A good sparingly used Fortuner around 18-19l would make the perfect sense here and that's what you should be looking upto.
As mentioned above, am currently looking at some used car options. If I don't get anything of worth there, then will have to again take a very detailed look at both these vehicles and take the final call.

Blogs like the current one where the XUV managed to cover Chennai to LEh and back do inspire a lot of confidence in the product. Plus it allows me to buy another set of hot wheels called as the Polo GT . On the other hand heart is set on the Fortuner. But that round of TDs is going to be around Diwali when I would be in Delhi for a week.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th September 2013 at 23:38.
Old 26th September 2013, 23:34   #93
BHPian

@drmohitg , I have been following your thread from the day you posted.
Its really difficult to decide when its a fight between Head n heart.

I am saying this as I am also in something like your situation.
My heart says buy a Thar , put a hardtop some creature comforts and enjoy it.
Wifey just hates jeep ( Cant afford 2 vehicles now)
So the net result, booked an EcoSport and cursing Ford.

Well, coming to your dilemma, I have driven both vehicles for reasonable tim and distance and my advice will be to go for XUV 500 if you plan to have your parents travelling with you and most of the time you are on road. Fortuner is well, lot behind when it comes to ride comfort in comparison to XUV500.

Someone has very well said, once inside the car you don't see the outside and what matters are the interiors, here also XUV scores.

My words will be go for XUV if unless what you actually wants is Fortuner and Fortuner and ofcourse FORTUNER.

Someone also said " Love is BLIND"

All the best.

Last edited by techfreak : 26th September 2013 at 23:40.
Old 26th September 2013, 23:43   #94
BHPian

My vote goes for XUV 500.

Mahindra has worked hard fixing the niggles.
The running cost of XUV is lower.

W8 has a premium feel with interiors and lighting to match.
The feature list is large enough for you to accompany a manual lest you forget.

I personally feel the 3rd row seating is more spacious in XUV
Old 27th September 2013, 00:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Yaar Rohit, If you have that kinda money, close your eyes and go for Fortuner, i know this is coming from me who owns the very first batch of XUV
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 08:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
True. Reliance on Carwale or jeepwale can be a slippery slope. I stand corrected. Fortuner does provide ABS and EBD. However, the comparison was not with the AT which provides CC, which the W8 provides in the MT.

Wonder why they only provide 2 airbags? Any idea?
Btw sorry if I touched a raw nerve.
You really made me nervous, honestly lost a bit of sleep since I saw your msg late last night. Sent a SoS msg to the sales person early in the morning. Prompt Toyota service again - I got response in seconds - he confirmed that Fortuner comes with ABS. This morning when I put the key-in saw the ABS light on the dashboard. Super confirmed! What a relief!

And yes, it's got cruise control. Retracting OVRMs. Auto climate control. Decent music system with DVD player and bluetooth. Can't watch movies while driving though.

So let's agree that the poor man's Prado is not terribly poor.
kaizanfan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:20   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

After swaying this way and that and finally deciding to looking up for used fortuners, I have been getting a new idea/dilemma now. Why not consider Fortuner AT? From the reviews The AT box looks fine and does its job well. The newer box is 5 speed AT which if not able to match a DSG can surely hold its own against the earlier 4 speed box. Since the car is mainly going to do highway runs, the cruise control will prove to be a blessing. And on top of it all, it solves the Fortuner vs Xuv debate too!
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:22   #98
BHPian

Unless 7 seater is mandatory, why not consider Skoda Yeti 4x4 too?

Chevy Captiva is also superb.
Old 27th September 2013, 09:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So let's agree that the poor man's Prado is not terribly poor.
Absolutely, the irony is a poor man's Prado in a different country is an expensive ride in ours!

TRD kit for Indian Fortuner is also cosmetic and nothing to do with actual TRD on the performance front.

Needless to mention that we are not provided with the 'rest of the world' equipment, in most of the cases.

DrMohitg, 4X2 AT is a good option and the 5 speed does its job very well(wish it was 7 speed, at the least!). Good Luck!

Last edited by getsurya : 27th September 2013 at 09:29.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:30   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
After swaying this way and that and finally deciding to looking up for used fortuners, I have been getting a new idea/dilemma now. Why not consider Fortuner AT?
Why not? It's a Toyota, plus it offers the convenience of AT. Pricing is also reasonable, on par with the 4x4 variant I guess. Just keep in mind that resale will be low especially compared to the MT Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Unless 7 seater is mandatory, why not consider Skoda Yeti 4x4 too?

Chevy Captiva is also superb.
He don't buy Skoda

Captiva is extremely expensive. I checked sometime back and it was some 32 L on the road. Shocking for a car that doesn't have much in terms of brand image.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:33   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why not? It's a Toyota, plus it offers the convenience of AT. Pricing is also reasonable, on par with the 4x4 variant I guess. Just keep in mind that resale will be low especially compared to the MT Fortuner.
Pricing is slightly less than the 4x4. Resale is not that big an issue right now since the car is going to be with us for 5+ years at the least.

Quote:
He don't buy Skoda
More than that I need 7 seats !

Quote:
Captiva is extremely expensive. I checked sometime back and it was some 32 L on the road. Shocking for a car that doesn't have much in terms of brand image.
+1. No wonder you don't see the Captiva or even the Santa Fe for that matter much on our roads. Also the road presence is nothing to talk about atleast in the case of the Captiva.
Old 27th September 2013, 09:52   #102
BHPian

Mohit, I bought the 2013 Fortuner AT exactly a week ago. In case if you've any questions please feel free to shoot.

If you've the money and if you can put up with a real tough SUV then Fortuner is a no brainer. I would highly recommend it.

Across all countries (wherever it's sold), the Fortuner has scored distinction in maintenance cost and niggle-free-ness (if I may use that term).

And just learnt this morning (read HeavyHorse's and my posts) that the Fortuner is not terribly poor.

Read my brief (first impression) review of the Fortuner here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3243900
Old 27th September 2013, 10:29   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
Mohit, I bought the 2013 Fortuner AT exactly a week ago. In case if you've any questions please feel free to shoot.
How would you rate the AT box? Is there any lag that is generally associated with AT boxes. If yes how bad is it? How is acceleration of the car say if you put down your foot on the gas pedal from standstill? Finding an AT TD vehicle is proving to be a difficult task.
Old 27th September 2013, 10:49   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why not consider Fortuner AT? From the reviews The AT box looks fine and does its job well. The newer box is 5 speed AT which if not able to match a DSG can surely hold its own against the earlier 4 speed box. Since the car is mainly going to do highway runs, the cruise control will prove to be a blessing.
That’s a good choice. Only negative – the AT variant does not come with VSC.

Another possible (upcoming) option:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3247400
Old 27th September 2013, 10:55   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Another possible (upcoming) option:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3247400
Looks are more crossover like. Might be more suited as a 5 seater. Pricing would be much more than the expected 20L according to this report above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks