Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 19:54   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Many people write As-Is-Where-Is Basis either because

* they have some kind of government background/exposure and thus are very familiar with that language (used mostly for disposals)

* they do not want people to get anal about things later with stuff like the tire is so weak, developed 2 punctures in two weeks or else the battery went flat in just 1 month of my buying your car and things like that. They want you to understand that you need to inspect and then buy

* they will not spend anything before you buy it. Many people suggest the seller that I am good to buy the car but can you please get the insurance renewed or get the battery serviced etc.

* they know there is something wrong with the vehicle and put this as a disclaimer beforehand

In my opinion, unless it is the last issue any bonafide sale with the top 3 reasons are understandable. Just because it says As-Is basis you need not give it a wide berth.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:02   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the real achievement here is that a Mahindra SUV has managed about as many votes as a Toyota. That is a testament to the huge leap forward that the XUV500 is.
Not necessarily GTO . It also has to do with the Indian Govt duty structure. If the Fortuner was only 2 to 3 Lakhs more than the XUV, I feel the vote would have been different. People are willing to overlook the flaws of the XUV due to the 10 Lakhs savings over the Fortuner.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 23:17   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for a pouring in with all your opinions guys. A small update from my side.

We had almost decided upon the Fortuner although my father correctly pointed out that the seating comfort is much inferior to the Innova and that its priced atrociously at 27.4L OTR Delhi for the 4x4 variant. On the other hand even he is not very confident in M&M still and doesn't want to go for the XUV. So out of the blue he suggested that if we are spending 27L then why not consider this new car (that his friend suggested) from mercedes that is priced around 25L. I presumed it to be the A or B class but the idea of him finally acknowledging that possibility was enough to leave me grinning. Told him all about the 320d base model and how some members on the Forum have been able to get some sweet deals on it. Another car that has been playing on my mind since its launch was the Volvo V40. So currently we are going to go on a spree of checking out all the entry level offerings from the premium car makers and see if there is something that fits into our budget ( it will happen around Diwali when I am in Delhi next). If nothing comes close to it then it will the Fortuner. I am keeping my fingers crossed for BMW to offer us a good deal on the 320d base. So my apologies for my car buying process suddenly taking an all together different road but then.... dil to bacha hai ji!
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 00:08   #184
Senior - BHPian

^^Mohit, your car buying or rather say your car dilemma thread can never be straight forward, Earlier the altis one and now this

By the way, I am happy that you let go the fortuner, IMO that car is not worth 28 big ones. I hope you end up with v40 or a 3 series now.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:15   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If nothing comes close to it then it will the Fortuner. I am keeping my fingers crossed for BMW to offer us a good deal on the 320d base. So my apologies for my car buying process suddenly taking an all together different road but then.... dil to bacha hai ji!
I myself was in a similar dilemma when I bought my fortuner 4*4 in Jan this year. I enquired from BMW dealers in Delhi and was getting 320d at 26 OTR roughly 50k more than the Fortuner (that was before the tax increase and I had NCB from my previous car). It was very tempting to say the least as the driving pleasure and interiors of the 320d were in a class of its own.

The biggest downer for me was that the dealer warned that he gets many BMW's due to water entering the engine with water as low as 6 inches. I myself am a doctor and roads near my clinic have 10-12 inches of water after almost every rain.

Secondly the prohibitive service costs is very easy to buy one but a BMW would cost atleast 3 times more costly than the Fortuner and 5 times more than my Innova. And the last nail in the coffin were the run flats. I love to do long distance trips (Meerut-Kanyakumari, Meerut-leh) and I wanted a car that could give me hassle free experience on such trips with the family.

Last edited by ToyotaFan : 16th October 2013 at 00:29.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:18   #186
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So currently we are going to go on a spree of checking out all the entry level offerings from the premium car makers and see if there is something that fits into our budget ( it will happen around Diwali when I am in Delhi next). If nothing comes close to it then it will the Fortuner. I am keeping my fingers crossed for BMW to offer us a good deal on the 320d base. So my apologies for my car buying process suddenly taking an all together different road but then.... dil to bacha hai ji!
good move I think, why go with a confirmed shortlist and force yourself to decide on one from that list ?
You've only done the right thing by not committing to either of these so far and instead weighed all the pros and cons and more importantly waited and not rushed into making the decision.
While the Toyota scores on the reliability and brand value, it seems overpriced while the Mahindra seems like value for money for the package overall but still needs more proof of reliability, niggle free ownership, etc so in my opinion not apples to apples comparison.
Now, you will open up more options by increasing the range of options to choose from and finding out what you really can/cannot get with that budget or maybe by stretching it some more. Waiting for the updates.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:29   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I myself was in a similar dilemma when I bought my fortuner 4*4 in Jan this year. I enquired from BMW dealers in Delhi and was getting 320d at 26 OTR roughly 50k more than the Fortuner. It was very tempting to say the least as the driving pleasure and interiors of the 320d were in a class of its own.

The biggest downer for me was that the dealer warned that he gets many BMW's due to water entering the engine with water as low as 6 inches.

Secondly a BMW would cost atleast 3 times more costly than the Fortuner and 5 times more than my Innova. And the last nail in the coffin were the run flats. I love to do long distance trips
+1 to all your points above. Buying a BMW is totally different from living with one. No one in my remote family also has a BMW and it would be totally unfamiliar territory for us. Hence the BSI option makes BMW the front runner and the fact that its been a dream car ever since I gained senses.
The main thing to remember here is that it would not be my primary car. We have the other 4 japs in the garage to take care of all those needs. So with a little route planning it might just work.
All depends on the discount that BMW is ready to offer! BTW what is the cost of the BSI ultimate these days for the 5 year plan?

Last edited by drmohitg : 16th October 2013 at 08:32.
Old 16th October 2013, 09:12   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

While I can understand your dad's thought process, I would really think twice before opting for a luxe brand like Mercedes or BMW, simply because their track record when it comes to reliability in Indian conditions hasn't been stellar. Not sure about Volvo, but the V40 is new and their other products haven't exactly set the charts alight. My advice: talk to a BMW or Merc owner before plunking the big ones down.

From your point of view, I get that Innova--> Fortuner is not a big upgrade and the cash outlay is high bordering on ridiculous, but what about peace of mind? Toyota is synonymous with reliability and you'll be hard pressed to find a Fortuner owner who is unhappy.

Just food for thought...
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:49   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I myself was in a similar dilemma when I bought my fortuner 4*4 in Jan this year. I enquired from BMW dealers in Delhi and was getting 320d at 26 OTR roughly 50k more than the Fortuner (that was before the tax increase and I had NCB from my previous car). It was very tempting to say the least as the driving pleasure and interiors of the 320d were in a class of its own.

The biggest downer for me was that the dealer warned that he gets many BMW's due to water entering the engine with water as low as 6 inches. I myself am a doctor and roads near my clinic have 10-12 inches of water after almost every rain.

Secondly the prohibitive service costs is very easy to buy one but a BMW would cost atleast 3 times more costly than the Fortuner and 5 times more than my Innova. And the last nail in the coffin were the run flats. I love to do long distance trips (Meerut-Kanyakumari, Meerut-leh) and I wanted a car that could give me hassle free experience on such trips with the family.
+100

Quote:
+1 to all your points above. Buying a BMW is totally different from living with one. No one in my remote family also has a BMW and it would be totally unfamiliar territory for us. Hence the BSI option makes BMW the front runner and the fact that its been a dream car ever since I gained senses.
The main thing to remember here is that it would not be my primary car. We have the other 4 japs in the garage to take care of all those needs. So with a little route planning it might just work.
All depends on the discount that BMW is ready to offer! BTW what is the cost of the BSI ultimate these days for the 5 year plan?
Mohit, I was in a similar situation before I bought Fortuner. I did look at BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Based on experience and research we know that German cars are not as reliable as Japanese ones. Among German cars I would consider Mercedes as better in reliability - based on worldwide test/survey results.

I listed out the top four requirements - the must haves:
- Car should be rock solid, should not break or give trouble (like my Santro AT for example)
- Excellent A.S.S with low maintenance cost (Maruti, Toyota for example)
- Automatic transmission (Santro AT for example)
- Good enough GC to handle/bear the "Too-Big-To-Be-True bumps and potholes" of Bangalore (Fortuner for example)

None of the German cars came close to satisfying my requirements. Fortuner got 10/10 - clean sweep.

I suggest you list out your top 3-4 requirements and base your decision accordingly.

Last edited by kaizanfan : 16th October 2013 at 10:50.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:54   #190
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how keen would you be in getting a Chandigarh or Punjab registered Fortuner, but please do check the used car market in Chandigarh/Jalandhar/Ludhiana. For various reasons, big SUVs are very common in these markets and again because of various reasons, new cars are frequently purchased and then sold to get a new one. Point is, if you search these markets, you have higher chances of finding a 50-60k run Fortuner (hardly any mileage for a Fortuner), which is well maintained and for the condition the relative price asked will not make you feel like a gas balloon.

Last edited by rrsteer : 16th October 2013 at 10:56.
Old 16th October 2013, 11:18   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the real achievement here is that a Mahindra SUV has managed about as many votes as a Toyota. That is a testament to the huge leap forward that the XUV500 is.
Its the 10 Lakh rupees difference that is causing the as many as votes for XUV against the Fortuner, Nothing else!

XUV is a good looking vehicle and MM has spent a good effort on giving birth to it, but at the end of the day its a typical MM product, with small and irritating issues.

I think the real comparison lies between the XUV and Storme.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:20   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for a pouring in with all your opinions guys. A small update from my side.

We had almost decided upon the Fortuner although my father correctly pointed out that the seating comfort is much inferior to the Innova and that its priced atrociously at 27.4L OTR Delhi for the 4x4 variant. On the other hand even he is not very confident in M&M still and doesn't want to go for the XUV. So out of the blue he suggested that if we are spending 27L then why not consider this new car (that his friend suggested) from mercedes that is priced around 25L. I presumed it to be the A or B class but the idea of him finally acknowledging that possibility was enough to leave me grinning. Told him all about the 320d base model and how some members on the Forum have been able to get some sweet deals on it. Another car that has been playing on my mind since its launch was the Volvo V40. So currently we are going to go on a spree of checking out all the entry level offerings from the premium car makers and see if there is something that fits into our budget ( it will happen around Diwali when I am in Delhi next). If nothing comes close to it then it will the Fortuner. I am keeping my fingers crossed for BMW to offer us a good deal on the 320d base. So my apologies for my car buying process suddenly taking an all together different road but then.... dil to bacha hai ji!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My advice: talk to a BMW or Merc owner before plunking the big ones down.

From your point of view, I get that Innova--> Fortuner is not a big upgrade and the cash outlay is high bordering on ridiculous, but what about peace of mind? Toyota is synonymous with reliability and you'll be hard pressed to find a Fortuner owner who is unhappy.

Just food for thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
+100

I listed out the top four requirements - the must haves:
- Car should be rock solid, should not break or give trouble (like my Santro AT for example)
- Excellent A.S.S with low maintenance cost (Maruti, Toyota for example)
- Automatic transmission (Santro AT for example)
- Good enough GC to handle/bear the "Too-Big-To-Be-True bumps and potholes" of Bangalore (Fortuner for example)

None of the German cars came close to satisfying my requirements. Fortuner got 10/10 - clean sweep.

I suggest you list out your top 3-4 requirements and base your decision accordingly.
Well mohit I'm sorry to say that your decision making process has taken a very sinister turn ! welcome to the club. But I sincerely hope that you don't stay in this club beyond diwali. Unlike me who has been a resident of the 'which car to replace my corolla with' with since last 500 days

I too must have looked at all possible options upwards of 20 lacs to 50 lacs the process became so dreary that my family has now simply refuses to accompany me on all car showrooms! Things have become so bad that on dusshera when we were taking a delivery of a verna sx diesel for our company the driver had to be called in to take the delivery. The showroom people called me 5 times to confirm whether the person they're dealing with is a genuine party or not.

On a serious note though this great forum of ours won't ever be able to resolve the swirling debate between paying a premium for reliability and longevity (i.e. Toyota etc.) or paying a premium for snob value and the sheer driving pleasure of the germans.

As noopster pointed out these all marquee cars don't hold a candle against the others in terms of the reliability and low cost of ownership. But than how does one put a price on reliability plus spartan features plus average driving pleasure and higher prices? Thats the true dilemma. Considering you father's argument against the fortuner how does the 5 -10 lacs + premium the germans demand sit in your decision making process?

Than there are people like kaizanfan who make decisions purely on the ground facts on the paper. Which if you honestly see is the right way to think about an asset which is a depreciating asset.

I think the only plus point in your decision making is that you already have 4 Japanese cars at your disposal. In that case go for the beemer or what have you and enjoy their offerings of a sublime drive. But what ever you do don't let the choices and decision making paralyze you otherwise you'll surely be a member of my sinister club! Till next time tc.
abs182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A small update from my side....
Whoa!! That's quite an interesting development.

Well... most of the entry level variants of these luxury brands are too bare bone.

Moreover reliability factor was the main reason for you to shy away from the XUV5OO. Now I don't see how a German luxury brand will be more reliable/ trouble free than a Mahindra XUV5OO.

Ofcourse you have the BSI et all, but all that comes at a hefty premium. If you are planning to extend your budget by another 50%, then there's nothing like it

BTW... Why not try the newly launched OCTAVIA?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th October 2013 at 11:46.
Old 16th October 2013, 11:43   #194
BHPian

Quote:

If your mostly travel on good roads and don't venture to far off places then a BMW might work for you but for majority of Indians is not that way. 1500 fortuners are sold every month whereas audi BMW Mercedes combined sell about 2000 units a month. Then there is the question of service backup as well Toyota has atleast 4 times the no. of service points then BMW so if you are mostly an urban dweller than the run flats will also not be a problem.

Be sure to take BSI as it includes the hydrostatic lock insurance in which BMW changes various engine components when water enters the engine which costs upwards of Rs. 5 lakh to repair.

Last edited by ToyotaFan : 16th October 2013 at 11:57.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:55   #195
Senior - BHPian

Okay, this one is for all those, who are questioning on reliability part, While picking up a 3 series over a fortuner.

Here's the picture, He already have a lancer, Innova, Sunny, Altis in his garage, The fortuner was supposed to be the upgrade over the innova which is doing its duty as it was on day one. His dad didn't found the fortuner to be comfortable and he didn't felt it like a upgrade over their current innova. Now that, He has decided to keep innova and his dad has agreed to spend on big german. The reliability is not important, As this car is NOT replacing innova or any car in his garage for that matter.

The new german would just be for the brand exclusivity, for those drives to murthal, for team-bhp meets, for going on parties and all. For other purposes, his other car would do the duty. So, now that he's having 4 other very reliable cars in his garage, I don't think the reliability or go anywhere factor is not much important, as this car is not going to be used for that purpose.

And I don't even see this car munching much miles too, So with a 5 yr/ 1l kms BSI, I don't think that for 5 yrs, he have to worry for any other major cost.

We'll be checking out 320d, V40 and all the big germans in price band of around 30-32 lakhs before finalizing on one and I hope this time, this story doesn't take any more turns. This all started with idea of buying a small diesel hatch say figo, then it went to fortuner, then polo gt, then again fortuner, Now it's 3 series. Let's see how it unfolds now

Last edited by sameerg001 : 16th October 2013 at 12:56.
sameerg001 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed