Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:50   #241

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Doctor, with such a flexible budget, and with so many options to choose from, you do have a tough choice to make!

Not sure if this helps, but having driven Fortuners ever since they came out in the Indian market, I should tell you it an outstanding vehicle in terms of rock-solid reliability, space, street presence, ease of driving (yes, believe it or not!), and comfort. And while it's no racer, it's still a real pleasure to drive on Indian highways.

Our latest acquisition is a 2013 Fortuner 5AT 4x2 about 2 months old. Toyota has tweaked both the suspension and the brakes significantly. The former is no longer as stiff at slow speeds; and the latter is no longer spongy. The AT is also super smooth and comfortable to drive. I was apprehensive about shifting from a manual 4x4 to an AT 4x2, but I have no regrets at all. I should add that while I drive extensively on highways, I don't go off-roading, and hence a 4x2 is sufficient for my needs.

Frankly, even if it seems pricey the Fortuner is the best 7-seater SUV on this side of 50 Lakhs, and the fact that an amazing 1600 of them were sold in October only reinforces this.

Well, good luck with your decision!
Vd55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 19:16   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Final update to the thread

Guys I have finally booked the BMW 320d , Imperial blue colour today . Its like a dream come true and the feeling is yet to sink in that I will be driving the car I have only admired and dreamt of till date.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the decision making process. A special thanks to member Sunnysm whose post was the triggering point that made me look at these brands over the Fortuner. And as always Sameerg001 for constantly tolerating me throughout.

Cheers!

Last edited by drmohitg : 13th November 2013 at 19:18.
drmohitg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 01:06   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Guys I have finally booked the BMW 320d , Imperial blue colour today . Its like a dream come true and the feeling is yet to sink in that I will be driving the car I have only admired and dreamt of till date.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the decision making process. A special thanks to member Sunnysm whose post was the triggering point that made me look at these brands over the Fortuner. And as always Sameerg001 for constantly tolerating me throughout.

Cheers!
Congratulations! What financial dent did it make on your bank accounts finally
Old 14th November 2013, 09:04   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Congratulations! What financial dent did it make on your bank accounts finally
Got a discount of 2.75L. So lets just say its not too far away from the 27L OTR price of the Fortuner.
Old 14th November 2013, 09:11   #245
BHPian

Hi Mohit, The BMW 320D you booked, is it automatic? If yes, how many gears (assuming it's not CVT) ?
Old 14th November 2013, 09:22   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
Hi Mohit, The BMW 320D you booked, is it automatic? If yes, how many gears (assuming it's not CVT) ?
Yup its an 8 speed AT box. I loved the AT box of the BMW more than Audi, Mercedes and Volvo. The gear shifts are really smooth without any noticeable lag.

Here is the latest specification sheet:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_3_Series.pdf (1.66 MB, 479 views)
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 13:13   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Yup its an 8 speed AT box.
Congratulations on the purchase.

Will look forward to your ownership thread now.

@Mods:
Title of thread should now read " Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner: Bought a BMW 320d."
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 14:25   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Final update to the thread Guys I have finally booked the BMW 320d , Imperial blue colour today .
Congratulations doctor!!
Which variant did you go for ?Did you get the base variant with xenons?does this variant get the corona rings ?
Old 14th November 2013, 14:34   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Congratulations doctor!!
Which variant did you go for ?Did you get the base variant with xenons?does this variant get the corona rings ?
Let Me answer this, Yes the car is baseline with Xenons, which implies that it comes with corona rings. The color is blue. Attaching the image of 5 series in same color, which which we saw yesterday at showroom before finalizing on the color.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131114_143328.png
Views: 2523
Size:  833.3 KB

The combo of this color and those white coronas make car look heavenly.
sameerg001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 15:49   #250
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Exactly my thoughts

Thought the XUV and Fortuner both bring in a specific value proposition neither are perfect and sufficiently compelling at all times in their price band. So the decision to go for something entirely different is not surprising to me. I would have normally voted for the Fortuner but for the price as certain deficiencies could then be overlooked but surely not at this price point. The price difference and value proposition of the XUV kills that possibility and hence actually I guess I never voted for the poll though I glanced at this thread multiple times.
Old 14th November 2013, 16:21   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Yup its an 8 speed AT box. I loved the AT box of the BMW more than Audi, Mercedes and Volvo. The gear shifts are really smooth without any noticeable lag.

Here is the latest specification sheet:
Congratulations

When is the delivery scheduled ? Do look forward to an ownership thread of the F30.
Old 14th November 2013, 16:39   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
Congrats drmohitg

Welcome to the F30 club

Last edited by karan561 : 14th November 2013 at 16:40.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 17:17   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Exactly my thoughts

Thought the XUV and Fortuner both bring in a specific value proposition neither are perfect and sufficiently compelling at all times in their price band. So the decision to go for something entirely different is not surprising to me. I would have normally voted for the Fortuner but for the price as certain deficiencies could then be overlooked but surely not at this price point. The price difference and value proposition of the XUV kills that possibility and hence actually I guess I never voted for the poll though I glanced at this thread multiple times.
I would defer here slightly, first of all sedan and suv are two different categories so comparison between the two is a tough job. I mean for the same price as an XUV we can get an elantra or a octavia too which would be much more comfortable. Also owning and maintaining a BMW/Audi/Merc would be a different ballgame even if the initial cost is in similar range.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:48   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats doc! That's a brilliant choice. You just can't go wrong with the Beemer.

With 250+ brainstorming replies spanning over 50 days, I guess this should be one of the longest and most active threads in the What car section (SUV category).

Quoting you from the opening post:
Quote:
...I considered all the other cars in the 25L bracket and knocked them all off from the list. So the choice is only between these 2 cars. (XUV Vs. Fortuner)
Did you have the slightest clue that you would end up buying a beemer at the start of the discussion? That's the power of TBHP

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th November 2013 at 18:03.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:08   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Quoting you from the opening post:

Did you have the slightest clue that you would end up buying a beemer at the start of the discussion? That's the power of TBHP
You don't know man,

In past few months, the decision went from Fortuner to xuv to gt tsi to gt tdi, then shifted to big Germans.

Like, in the evening he used to tell me, I am buying Fortuner I just love this car its my love , then again next day in morning, he whatsapp me, dude but the car is not worth it and xuv appeals me more as Fortuner is just feature less compared to Fortuner, then again in the day this decision used to change quite a times

But finally in the end, it was all worth it.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 14th November 2013 at 18:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks