Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 12:58   #301
o.D
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahadevan View Post
Mohit, it’s been 4 months since I moved up to an XUV500, and it has been a good experience thus far. (Would have been a brilliant experience had it not been for 1 niggle that cropped up last month. An “Engine Check Lamp” which lit up in error during a sojourn).
What pleasantly surprised me was the customer centric attitude of the folks at Mahindra who promptly responded to a frantic customer (Me!) when the service centre decided they needed two days to diagnose the symptoms of my Engine Check Light coming on the eve of a long weekend, beyond jumping on the case immediately they even offered to loan me another XUV for the weekend.
Hi Ssahadevan,
Would you remember the reason for the check light issue? For the third time I have been facing the issue and they have not been able to resolve. Also could you share the contact of the RM/Service center who fixed the issue.
Old 18th February 2014, 16:34   #302

HI oD,

Initially the folks at Sireesh Singasandra attributed it to an issue with Rail Pressure Sensor and cleaned the sensor apart from resetting the error code. This did not solve the issue. On reporting it back, the issue apparently was caused by a defect in the wiring harness resulting in faulty electrical signals. On fixing this, the issue was resolved and thankfully has not re-appeared for over 6000 kms now.

I had escalated the issue to Mr. Yuvaraj, the CRM from Mahindra. His contact number is +91 9972577798. Great Guy, very pro-active. He worked with the team at Sireesh Auto, ORR led by Leo, to get it resolved. It took a good 2 days for the resolution.

I hope this helps.

Sandeep
ssahadevan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 19:31   #303
o.D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahadevan View Post
HI oD,

On reporting it back, the issue apparently was caused by a defect in the wiring harness resulting in faulty electrical signals.

I hope this helps.

Sandeep
A big thank-you to you.

The procedure has been the same with mine for the last 2 visits and it took them like 6-7 days . While the first attempt was led by Mr.Leo it is now with Mr.Santosh from India Garage. I've had no issues at all with the electrical's etc but for this annoying "Check Engine" light flashing which has been ruining my long drives.

Thanks again for the contacts.
o.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 19:17   #304
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late update guys, finally bought 2011 Silver Fortuner 23k ran @ 18 Lakh.

Yes, it was a desperate sales closed within 3 days
ashthedivx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 08:56   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Sorry for the late update guys, finally bought 2011 Silver Fortuner 23k ran @ 18 Lakh.

Congrats ashthedivx. You are very lucky to have found a Fortuner with less mileage and really good price. I am sure your Fortuner will serve you for many years with low cost of maintenance. Be vigilant though, when you give your car for servicing.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 08:07   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Hi Ashish, Saw your post just now.

Congrats on the Fortuner, do upload pics.

Also, what happened to the corolla ?
Old 6th June 2017, 20:32   #307
BANNED

I realize that this thread is old, and that drmohitg has gone to bigger and better vehicles than the two being discussed here. But, lots of us are still thinking about this comparison.

I recently took a friend's Fortuner for a spin right before a visit to the Mahindra showroom to inspect the XUV, and came away with one observation that has a lot of relevance to me.

The 2nd row seating in the Fortuner appears to be significantly less wide than that of the XUV. Actually, even the front passenger in the Fortuner appeared to be quite close to me while I was driving. But, in the XUV, I got the impression of "fursat" when it came to space.

I do realize that overall, the Fortuner is a bigger car with more space. But, that space appears to be distributed with a definite bias towards the length of the car rather than the width.

So, I have 2 questions:

1.) Am I right in my observation? Has anyone else felt the same way about the Fortuner; that seating 3 well-fed adults in the 2nd row could be a challenge relative to the XUV?

2.) If yes to question 1, does anyone else feel that this apparent lack of comfortable 2nd row seating for 3 is not an optimal oversight for a vehicle that costs some 35 lacs? After all, there is a greater likelihood that one would like to seat 3 people in the 2nd row more often (shorter and more frequent trips) than resorting to the 3rd row (which I am guessing is more likely to be used over longer road trips).
Old 31st July 2017, 16:25   #308
BHPian

Fortuner 4X2 AT Vs Mahindra XUV5OO W10

Hi Team,
I currently own a 2009 Honda City 1.5S MT which has done 1 lac km recently. Rusting of the certain Panels have taken place but the car is mechanically sound.
The point is that we are a family of 6 and need a car, rather SUV to do long journeys together in a comfortable Manner along with luggage.
I was first looking at Mahindra XUV5OO, W10 to be precise. But thinking of ruling it out because of the non-existent boot space when 6 people are seated and I am not keen on putting a roof carrier because it spoils the look of the car.
Also the XUV is famous for its niggles (No offence to anyone), though they are small yet irritating. Mahindra has provided all the bells and whistles but forgot to provide quality (NOT considering HEXA and Innova Crysta at all).
Because of the above reason I decided to move a segment higher and take Fortuner 4X2 AT in consideration. Initially I thought of selling City because it is getting old, buying a grand i10 and XUV simultaneously. But taking the Fortuner in consideration, buying another car is totally out of question.

Now the main question is, should I sell City, buy a Grand i10 and XUV5OO, or should I buy the Fortuner 4X2 AT and Keep the City and repair it.

BTW, City needs rust removal, new paint job, throttle body cleaning, and Clutch replacement.
Regards
Manan_02
Old 31st July 2017, 19:36   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fortuner 4X2 AT Vs Mahindra XUV5OO W10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan_02 View Post
(NOT considering HEXA and Innova Crysta at all).
Even though you have ruled it out, but Hexa seems to fit the bill perfectly here. Give it a chance.

I doubt 6 ppl will be that comfortable in the Fortuner (w/ luggage).
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:27   #310
BANNED

Keep the city and repair it, that generation city is built well and will be a much useful car than a new Grand i10.

For the 6 people to travel together, I would highly recommend the Hexa and the Innova (Please do mention the reason why you are avoiding them) as the 4x2 fortuner AT is seriously similar to the Crysta unless you need oodles of Ground clearance.
The XUV is good but the last row of seats is not usable for adults and personally, I would never be comfortable with a car that has seen such levels of niggles. Since you are looking at the Fortuner already, do look at the Endeavour 2.2 AT, it is much cheaper and the space on offer is great.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:14   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Keep the city and repair it, that generation city is built well and will be a much useful car than a new Grand i10.
Even I was thinking the same but considering the rusty parts, is it wise to keep it for more time?

Quote:
For the 6 people to travel together, I would highly recommend the Hexa and the Innova (Please do mention the reason why you are avoiding them) as the 4x2 fortuner AT is seriously similar to the Crysta unless you need oodles of Ground clearance.
Main Reason for not considering Hexa is it's Resale Value (Resale value of TATA products are comparatively lower), and trust me it matters a lot, atleast to me. While on the other hand Fortuner and XUV both have good resale value.

Speaking about the Crysta, There are too many niggles such as misaligned tyres, brake rotor issues, engine malfunction light glowing abruptly, water leakage to name a few, which questions the bullet proof reliability of Innova. Plus the cool attitude from Toyota is not acceptable.

XUV has its own share of niggles, but they are small and one can live with them until the next service. Also most of the times, they are not mechanically related (read: related to engine).

Quote:
Since you are looking at the Fortuner already, do look at the Endeavour 2.2 AT, it is much cheaper and the space on offer is great.
I felt the 2.2 engine to be a sluggish when all 6 of us plus the SA was onboard.

We felt that second row of fortuner is better than the Endeavour's.
Again the question comes to "XUV and Grand i10/City" or "Fortuner and City"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Even though you have ruled it out, but Hexa seems to fit the bill perfectly here. Give it a chance.
Already answered the same above. What you have to say about the City though?
Old 1st August 2017, 03:03   #312
BHPian

I would say go for the fortuner and get the city repaired. The reason is that on comapring mahindra with toyota the latter will win hands down. Also the bullet proof reliability of the fortuner will be a boon in all the scenarios. With xuv you will always be riding your luck so better to go with fortuner.
anubshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:31   #313
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I currently own a 2009 Honda City 1.5S MT which has done 1 lac km recently. Rusting of the certain Panels have taken place but the car is mechanically sound.
Please read this thread. Hold onto it for another year or two and buy a sexier replacement later with the money saved (from using it longer).

Quote:
The point is that we are a family of 6 and need a car, rather SUV to do long journeys together in a comfortable Manner along with luggage.
How frequently does the entire family go out on the highway? Once in 2 - 3 months, I'm guessing? Why not rent a self-drive SUV. You are in Delhi (the largest market for cars) and there are plentiful self-drive rental options from ZoomCar, Myles etc. For fun, you could rent a different SUV every time . They also now offer home pickup & drop-off, making it super convenient.

Of course, you absolutely need your own 3-row SUV if the family of 6 travels together more frequently.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:57   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Already answered the same above. What you have to say about the City though?
Agree, the resale of TML cars is nothing to write home about, but, you will be spending substantially less upfront. Hexa XTA would be what, 10-12 lakhs cheaper than the Fortuner AT?

If resale value is the number 1 criteria, and you have the budget for it, yes, Fortuner makes sense.

Once you decide on the first car, you can then take a call about the City, whether to repair and keep or sell it.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:30   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again the question comes to "XUV and Grand i10/City" or "Fortuner and City"
Given the needs you've stated, my recommendation would be "Fortuner and City".

GTO has pointed you to the right thread. For a car that's built well, why sell it when you can fix it.

I recently bought a used Fortuner for the price of new XUV or Safari but I just can't trust Mahindra/Tata and will never recommend it to anyone. Since you can buy a new Fortuner the premium is worth the peace of mind. Not to mention, when you decide to sell it you may be surprised with the kind of resale value you can get out of it.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed