Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2006, 11:02   #1
BHPian

The same old question ? Which 4 wheeler

Hey all,

I just signed in today and am looking for some real good advice on which 4 wheel should I buy.

I have already read a few postings and so here are my base requirements.

1. I prefer a better / stable / trustworthy engine to looks.
2. I travel around 20 Kms a day. Weekends would be around 40kms
3. I like to go out for long drives around 300 - 350 kms once in 3 months.
4. would naturally looks for a fuel eficient and low maintenenace vehicle.

I cuurently have a Maruti 800 and it runs well.

Am looking to buy a new car / jeep and not able to decide whether it should be diesel or petrol. I am not looking for a budget of more than 7 lkh.

The jeep i have in mind is a Balero.

Open to you all to suggest and help.

Cheers
Rohinton
Old 20th June 2006, 11:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

With your kind of running petrol makes more sense 6than a diesel.

You can choose from
Fusion
Baleno
Esteem
Ikon
Petra
Indigo
Accent

From the hatches you have
Swift
Getz
Palio

If you are really interested in a diesel you can take an accent viva crdi
Old 20th June 2006, 12:05   #3
BHPian

With your budget and requirements, you can take a look at the baleno - has a good engine and is low on maintenance/running costs.

An accent GLE would also be a good bet - decent in everything, and low on maintenance - is a trouble-free car.

Other options are Fiesta/Aveo - but they could be a bit higher on maintenance.
Old 20th June 2006, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

@rohinton, do you need a boot ? If not, a hatch would be a great choice. Some of the new hatches come with safety features not available in most C-segment cars. They would be more fuel efficient too, which is a good thing today with fuel prices going upwards every few months.
I like the Bolero too, but dont have much experience with Jeeps - so maybe some Jeep experts can comment on it.
If you need a boot, then as @cooldude mentioned, you have quite some options available. The Baleno fits your requirements to a T and even the Vxi should be in your budget.
I don't know B'lore prices, but in Chennai, it should be possible to even get a NHC base model with that budget (maybe by stretching a wee bit). With the NHC you get a reliable car, best-in-class FE and the odd looks should not matter to you as you dont care much about looks.
And BTW, welcome to tbhp.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th June 2006 at 12:24.
Old 20th June 2006, 12:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Your daily commute isn't much so Petrol is more likely.

But consider a Hyundai Accent CRDi (Diesel). It might get a little bit above your budget but you'll more than make up for it in the Running costs. Infact it can be such a pleasure to drive mentally that you may end up driving more (justifying the Diesel)!

Otherwise its the Baleno thats to be looked at, the upfront price difference between the Baleno and the NHC is enough to offset any FE related gains from the NHC with your kind of running for more than one year. And beleive me the Baleno will put more smiles on your face when you drive.
Old 20th June 2006, 13:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohintonw

1. I prefer a better / stable / trustworthy engine to looks.
2. I travel around 20 Kms a day. Weekends would be around 40kms
3. I like to go out for long drives around 300 - 350 kms once in 3 months.
4. would naturally looks for a fuel eficient and low maintenenace vehicle.

not able to decide whether it should be diesel or petrol. I am not looking for a budget of more than 7 lkh.

The jeep i have in mind is a Balero.
20x20+40X8= 750kms a month, a diesel doesnt make sense at all. Stick to a petrol.

Any car you go for will have good Fuel efficiency. Jap cars use less metal and are light, hence Fuel efficient.

Considering most of your drive is in the city. Look at

Fiat Adventure engine is robust and can last a lifetime. Look here if you want something like an SUV. FE will be 9-10 at max.

Mahindra Scorpio Crde and Tata safari Dicor( there are talks on reduction of price but not guranteed info). both maybe a bit above 7 though.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 is pretty FE. Still more powerful than NHC and more FE and you pay less than the Honda.

WagonR CNG version is already in the pipeline. go for the one with ABS and Airbags. Great in city and loads of space for 4 to travel with 2 suitcases and 2bags. never seen such a gem of an engine.

Swift is less on space but the reliable esteem engine still does duty and is the successor of WagonR in most of the ways.

and if you are interested in explicity luxury then look at indigo GSx. never seen anything like it. Superb comfort and interiors but engine still a generation old.

I would suggest you wait a bit for the CNG wagonr with ABS and Airbags. Otherwise look at swift.
Old 20th June 2006, 17:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest FIAT adventure here....
Why:

1. Is built to last forever. You will never feel insecured once you enter in the car.
2. Engine is reliable and also doing duty for Palio. Afterall a FIAT
3. Has the good seating position
4. Has the macho and rough and tough looks
5. You can do kind of off roading since has good ground clearance
6. Awesome stability at high speeds
7. Quite good FE for a car like it... Still a descent driving can pull about 10 KMPL in city

Now as your running is not that much, Adventure would be a good deal. FIAT Afeter Sales Service was a concern but now FIAT-TATA alliannce is addressingit and if you are in a relatively big city then service wont b a problem at all..

Everyone here on T-BHP would agree that FIAT Palio/Petra/Adventure has the best build quality in the respective segments. After all FE is not the only thing you buy car for.. Safety is also important point.. Just take a test drive of it and you will fall in luv with it..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 NV Sport/13 KMPL/AND IT ROCKS!!!!!
Old 20th June 2006, 17:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

It certainly doesnt make much sense to have a SUV in the city unless you are one of those politician types. Parking, reversing etc will take our wits out. Big vehicles are bullies in the city.

For your Long drives, SUV will help, Better leg room and lots of luggage space. Stick to some fuel efficient hatchback that will give good service for years to come. A C segment car will also do since you mentioned a budget of 7L.

But like someone said, hatches now come with C segment competing features.

Most Viewed