Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 12:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
How about Mahindra Max (the pickup version of bolero) and Mahindra Genio ? Not sure if you can get all those comforts you have mentioned in your list , but bolero pickup is available in 4X4 version too .

Trax is a good option like a lot of them have suggested , very cheap to maintain , can take lot of abuse.
I need a 5 seater. Did consider the pickups -
  • Bolero Camper - Too expensive in the used car market
  • Genio - Did not have a look at it yet
  • Xenon - Not much of them in the used car market
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Please share your market research, how much difference is there. Mechanicals (& maintenance) of bolero di is simple compare to sumo.
I will prefer di engine vehicle (for both bolero/ sumo) instead of IDI/dicor/CRDe/ m2dicr because of cheap maintenance but again NVH may be an issue (I can bear it, but it depends person to person).
Not much of a "market research". Did some basic comparisons of similarly run Boleros and Sumos and the Boleros costs about a Lac more.
Old 27th November 2013, 12:39   #17
BHPian

The best option for you is to keep an open mind and buy a vehicle that has poor resale from a private owner.xylophone,sumo,Grande are available from private owners.

But you'll have to work harder to find a good example. It won't be as easy as buying a used Civic
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 13:03   #18
BANNED

re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned SUV

The Genio VX, that thing was with me for a year now. Ferried everything from people to luggage to diesel drums. Has AC, Power windows, power steering and even a Factory fitted Music System. ride is harsh with the load bay empty. But But But, its basically a xylo underneath. Front suspension bushes and tie rods are prone to give away easily. Had to change 3 times in a year. ( All under company expenses) and once the starter motor busted (Changed Under warranty). So reliablity isnt great. On the other hand, the bolero camper is as reliable as it gets. No problems till today. For your uses, i would specifically advice a Double cab Pick-up.
racerdabba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 15:47   #19
BHPian

Re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle

Just for the record i had purchased a used 2010 ex version Grande in october 2011 from a individual seller at almost 2 lac lesser amount of what i would have spend on buying a similar spec Safari/Scorpio.
Believe me the Grande is the most underrrated vehicle today.
The GOOD POINTS...
1.Humongous space it never feels cramped.
2. Triple row roof mounted integrated A/c doesnt compromise on head room.
3.Mechanical underpinnings of the Safari and Sumo(parts are cheap and very tough).
4.All four doors with power windows,ps.
5.2.2 dicor engine with loads of torque(recently did Mumbai Leh and she took all that was thrown at her with ease including the short cuts in the Gata Loops)..
6.Can do 110 to 120kmph all day,mileage 9kmpl in cityand 13kml on highways.
7.Ride quality is better than Bolero/Scorpio/Xylo no bouncing about and takes the rough roads with minimum fuss.
8.No unnecessary plastic cladding for rattles and the spare is tucked under the vehicle.
9.TATA service centers have improved a lot but your FNG is also enough for routine maintenance.
BAD POINTS...
1.Low resale value but then your initial cost too is low.
2.2.2 dicor engine timing belt issues but then you should change the belt immediately on buying the vehicle for peace of mind.
Only thing to keep in mind is to buy the Mark 2 model as it comes with much better interiors and has better FE than the mk1.
Cheers and all the best in your search.
P.S.attaching a pic of my vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-394397_291373157600397_474212651_n.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 15:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Bolero DI meets all your requirements Raj. Though you spend little more initially, you'll get that premium while selling it off too. Risk free.

Being a long term Xylo owner, I do not recommend it for pakka rough use. It has lots of accessories which might become go kaput quickly to the Bolero.

Though not so rugged as the ones in your list, an EECO might come handy for a cheap price with almost nil maintenance? But compromise is on Diesel.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 16:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
The best option for you is to keep an open mind and buy a vehicle that has poor resale from a private owner.xylophone,sumo,Grande are available from private owners.

But you'll have to work harder to find a good example. It won't be as easy as buying a used Civic
+10. This is the precise reason I am looking for Sumo Grande.

Unlike Sumos, Grandes are privately owned and I am getting lesser driven vehicles easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdabba View Post
The Genio VX, that thing was with me for a year now. Ferried everything from people to luggage to diesel drums. Has AC, Power windows, power steering and even a Factory fitted Music System. ride is harsh with the load bay empty. But But But, its basically a xylo underneath. Front suspension bushes and tie rods are prone to give away easily. Had to change 3 times in a year. ( All under company expenses) and once the starter motor busted (Changed Under warranty). So reliablity isnt great. On the other hand, the bolero camper is as reliable as it gets. No problems till today. For your uses, i would specifically advice a Double cab Pick-up.
Thank you. So the Xylo and Genio is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
Just for the record i had purchased a used 2010 ex version Grande in october 2011 from a individual seller at almost 2 lac lesser amount of what i would have spend on buying a similar spec Safari/Scorpio.
Believe me the Grande is the most underrrated vehicle today.
The GOOD POINTS...
1.Humongous space it never feels cramped.
2. Triple row roof mounted integrated A/c doesnt compromise on head room.
3.Mechanical underpinnings of the Safari and Sumo(parts are cheap and very tough).
4.All four doors with power windows,ps.
5.2.2 dicor engine with loads of torque(recently did Mumbai Leh and she took all that was thrown at her with ease including the short cuts in the Gata Loops)..
6.Can do 110 to 120kmph all day,mileage 9kmpl in cityand 13kml on highways.
7.Ride quality is better than Bolero/Scorpio/Xylo no bouncing about and takes the rough roads with minimum fuss.
8.No unnecessary plastic cladding for rattles and the spare is tucked under the vehicle.
9.TATA service centers have improved a lot but your FNG is also enough for routine maintenance.
BAD POINTS...
1.Low resale value but then your initial cost too is low.
2.2.2 dicor engine timing belt issues but then you should change the belt immediately on buying the vehicle for peace of mind.
Only thing to keep in mind is to buy the Mark 2 model as it comes with much better interiors and has better FE than the mk1.
Cheers and all the best in your search.
P.S.attaching a pic of my vehicle.
Thank you.

Can you guide me on how to differentiate between MKI and MKII vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Bolero DI meets all your requirements Raj. Though you spend little more initially, you'll get that premium while selling it off too. Risk free.

Being a long term Xylo owner, I do not recommend it for pakka rough use. It has lots of accessories which might become go kaput quickly to the Bolero.

Though not so rugged as the ones in your list, an EECO might come handy for a cheap price with almost nil maintenance? But compromise is on Diesel.
Most used Boleros have run in excess of 70000 kms and still commanding a premium over 30-40k driven Sumo Grande. I dont mind paying a premium for the Bolero buy I need a vehicle which is lesser driven, say till 50k.

Also, I am struggling to find DI Boleros. Most of the low driven ones are with the CRDe engine.

Eeco wont survive on those roads.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th November 2013 at 16:22.
Old 27th November 2013, 16:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dear Raj,
Go for Bolero Di Turbo, if you dont want to spend too much. search for initial model with front rigid suspension. the only minus point would it used to come without AC, which can be fitted later on as well.
Cost - benefit analysis can clearly tell that extra money spent initially will offset in 30-40K kms.
think about:
1) easy parts availability
2) almost no maintenance on Di engine
3) high mileage
5) spares and mechanic availability

All the best !

Shubhendra
Old 27th November 2013, 17:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Raj,
Go for Bolero Di Turbo, if you dont want to spend too much. search for initial model with front rigid suspension. the only minus point would it used to come without AC, which can be fitted later on as well.
Cost - benefit analysis can clearly tell that extra money spent initially will offset in 30-40K kms.
think about:
3) high mileage

All the best !

Shubhendra
I have seen very few DI Boleros on sale. Mostly all of them are the SLE and VLX variants.

I saw one DI but it comes without A/C and I guess power steering. Will Mahindra A.S.S. provide a factory fitment of AC? Any idea how much a retro-fitment like this will cost?
Old 27th November 2013, 17:44   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Did you consider buying a Mahindra Thar? The 2WD DI also is a good option.
Otherwise in the used market you can also have look at the Maxx/Armada grand or a Marshal. I remember a friend of mine had picked up a used Marshal from Ulhasnagar 2 years back for his office use. He had spent about 50-60k more and got the vehicle in condition and also had added an aftermarket AC and PS. I don't think you can get these kind of vehicles easily in south Mumbai or the near by suburbs. Please try areas like ulhasnagar, Bhiwandi, Pen, Naigaon.etc. If you have contacts in or around Nasik, you can get one of these easily there.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 17:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Did you consider buying a Mahindra Thar? The 2WD DI also is a good option.
I am not considering a Thar since I need a proper 5 seater with A/C. This car is for the staff.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 19:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Raj,
think about:
3) high mileage

All the best !

Shubhendra
Just a small clarification; I have a Bolero DI with the front rigid suspension. It used to come in 3 variants; 2x4 Without AC, 2x4 With AC and 4x4 Without AC. None of the variants have a power steering though.

You should be able to find a DI AC just as easily as a DI Non AC I think. Not a 100% sure but this is just my opinion.
Old 27th November 2013, 19:51   #27
BHPian

I am also in a similar situation as you, Raj. I am looking for a rugged vehicle with one additional feature: must have AT. The only one that seems to fit the bill seems to be the Scorpio VLX with a relatively low price point. Nonetheless I am interested in the outcome of your research and what vehicle you eventually decide to go for.
Old 27th November 2013, 20:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Just a small clarification; I have a Bolero DI with the front rigid suspension. It used to come in 3 variants; 2x4 Without AC, 2x4 With AC and 4x4 Without AC. None of the variants have a power steering though.

You should be able to find a DI AC just as easily as a DI Non AC I think. Not a 100% sure but this is just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have seen very few DI Boleros on sale. Mostly all of them are the SLE and VLX variants.

I saw one DI but it comes without A/C and I guess power steering. Will Mahindra A.S.S. provide a factory fitment of AC? Any idea how much a retro-fitment like this will cost?
Please refer below link for more information on different versions of bolero

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...o-build-2.html
Old 27th November 2013, 20:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I have a Bolero DI with the front rigid suspension. It used to come in 3 variants; 2x4 Without AC, 2x4 With AC and 4x4 Without AC. None of the variants have a power steering though.
You are having a jewel. Please start a separate ownership thread. Vehicle is really a definition of ruggedness but in congested traffic it is panic to drive. Not recommended for mumbai roads.

Last edited by (Alok) : 27th November 2013 at 20:10.
Old 27th November 2013, 20:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
You are having a jewel. Please start a separate ownership thread. Vehicle is really a definition of ruggedness but in congested traffic it is panic to drive. Not recommended for mumbai roads.

Thanks Alok. It is a 'rugged no-nonsense take-on-anything' jewel indeed

The ownership thread is already up. You can find it here if you'd like to glance through it

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ave-liked.html
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks