Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2006, 19:24   #1
BHPian

Ideal 4 wheeler for Mumbai?

Dear bhpians which is the ideal car for mumbai or any other city for that matter? it should fulfill the following parameters:
  • Price below < Rs. 15 lacs
  • FE, reliability and repairability
  • service backup
  • ability 2 squeeze in tight spaces
  • ability 2 tackle bad roads and deluge like 26/7
  • prestige factor and status
What do u think???

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th July 2006 at 11:41.
Old 8th July 2006, 21:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

The only car i can think of which fits most your requirments is the CRV.Although Fe will not be great in a CRV.Fits most of the other requirments
Old 8th July 2006, 22:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ability 2 tackle bad roads and deluge like 26/7

That really is what matters in Bombay. Buy a Road Roller or a Tractor.
Old 9th July 2006, 09:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Dear bhpians which is the ideal car for mumbai or any other city for that matter? it should fulfill the following parameters:
  • Price below < Rs. 15 lacs
  • FE, reliability and repairability
  • service backup
  • ability 2 squeeze in tight spaces
  • ability 2 tackle bad roads and deluge like 26/7
  • prestige factor and status
What do u think???
Boss, why do you want to spend 15 lakhs on a car ??? Plz remember that, in India, the more money you spend on a car, the more money the non-performing and under-performing Govt of India makes out of you through excise tax, sales tax, road tax etc etc! Do not waste your money ! Go and buy 2 or 3 very sexy laptops with that.

For a vehicle that can tackle the bombay deluge, bad roads, reliability, VFM etc you can go for the Bajaj Tempo (now Force Motors) Gurkha 4X4. It costs apprx 6.51 lakhs.

Or you could opt for a Fiat Adventure, 5.21 lakhs in dilli and S&S by Tata's as well.
Old 9th July 2006, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Unimog. But then, price could be an issue.

Or the next best thing. A Smart Brabus on stilts.
Old 9th July 2006, 11:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
[*]Price below < Rs. 15 lacs[*]FE, reliability and repairability[*]service backup[*]ability 2 squeeze in tight spaces[*]ability 2 tackle bad roads and deluge like 26/7[*]prestige factor and status[/list]What do u think???
Point # 5 - No car or SUV/MUV could handle the deluge on 26/7...so Im discounting this factor.

Point # 6 = I dont believe in this , so Im counting this point out too....

So based on the 1st 4 points you have listed - I would opt for BAJAJ AUTORICKSHAW.

I save 14 lacs , FE / Reliabilty / Repairibilty are no issues , Service back up is every 200 mts or so , and we all know they squeeze into the most small gaps.

And no Im not kidding here. Im serious.
Old 9th July 2006, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
So based on the 1st 4 points you have listed - I would opt for BAJAJ AUTORICKSHAW.

I save 14 lacs , FE / Reliabilty / Repairibilty are no issues , Service back up is every 200 mts or so , and we all know they squeeze into the most small gaps.

hey , crazy what vehicle do you have? what points did u consider when u bought it, and no dont tell me you wanted a lot of torque so you went in for a diesel Piaggio ape rick :-)
Old 10th July 2006, 14:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
The only car i can think of which fits most your requirments is the CRV.Although Fe will not be great in a CRV.Fits most of the other requirments
The tucson doesnt seem to have this issue, being a diesel, and a powerful one at that.
Old 10th July 2006, 20:09   #9
BHPian

Maybe something like this ?

http://www.gibbstech.co.uk/aquada.php
Old 10th July 2006, 21:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Fiat adventure diesel
mahindra scorpio crde
mahindra Bolero
maruti WagonR CNG
mitubishi pajero 2.8
indigo marina diesel

these are the only names I can think of which meet your requirements.

buy one and mod the hell outta them, you will get looks as well as prestige.
Old 10th July 2006, 22:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
I would opt for BAJAJ AUTORICKSHAW.
And no Im not kidding here. Im serious.
There was this middle age gent near my relative's place in Chennai who used to travel in a chauffer driven Bajaj RE rick that was painted in blue colour. Upon enquiry I head he broke his leg in a motorcycle crash and since he could'nt afford a car, he opted for the rick. I thought it was a cool and bold thing to do.
Old 11th July 2006, 10:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would say go for teh Scorpio CRDE SLX

costs around 9L, has good powere, reasonable FE (Plus its a diesel) and can match any indian car in handling the deluge. Plus, it is probably the most city friendly SUV out there.

Open roads and mountains are another issue though, but that is not a crieteria for you, so no worries there!
Old 11th July 2006, 17:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
There was this middle age gent near my relative's place in Chennai who used to travel in a chauffer driven Bajaj RE
Mpower - The reason I said a rickshaw was because even my uncle has to travel daily from Chembur to Goregaon and back. He had a Gypsy earlier which he sold - now he has a dedicated autorickshaw , the auto guy comes on time , picks him up and drops him to Goregaon where he does the various deliveries of my uncle's factory ...and then back to Chembur in the evening.

We have many a times forced my uncle to buy a car but he says - why bother with a car ? I'm chauffer driven where ever I want to go and besides there is no headache of searching for a parking place..and its quick as the auto can go through gaps.

Makes sense actually !
Old 12th July 2006, 18:24   #14
BHPian

I sometimes feel that the force trax / gurkha is simply more suitable provided it was a bit more luxurious. It has the right ingredients: large wheels, (very) distant cousin to mercedes g-wagon, relatively higher placement of exhaust pipe, rugged and has the right genesis to become India's own hummer. i am saying this becoz my dad was the only person returned from home to office on 26/7 because he was travelling in a Trax and many people in the rural, semiurban market swear by it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks