Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 08:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
From all tuners of race and rally cars I understood that once an engine has been fitted with CNG it will be ruined for power out put and performance even when switched back exclusively to petrol.

However with only 4k on odo this is tempting.
I doubt if anything would have happened in 4K kms.
This seems to be a really good deal.
Rajiv;i would say;do not miss out on this one,even if you have to travel to Gujrat and pick it.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 09:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
First things first, Bharat, I ain't selling mine, love it too much!!:

More seriously, to your questions:

Thanks alot for your inputs RR, cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
8-9 Lakhs is crazy. I was once offered a 2.4 liter GV with about 6k kms on the clock driven unregistered by the MD of a dealership for about 7 lakhs with a year's warranty so that ought to set you off on how much they are worth
Thanks Ishaan, 2.4 sounds interesting to me as well now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Given a choice between the two, I see absolutely no reason to pick a 2.0 over the 2.4.
Thanks GTO, I guess 2.4 it should be then

Quote:
IF - that is a big if in case you missed it - you can find a 2.4 buy it else 2.0 is good enough for all that I have been able to throw at it. Do not feel need to add anything else.
Sudev ji, thanks for you input, I will keep troubling you with my silly questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I doubt if anything would have happened in 4K kms.
This seems to be a really good deal.
Rajiv;i would say;do not miss out on this one,even if you have to travel to Gujrat and pick it.
I am on it Akshay, thanks of the ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
white grand vitara available in ahmedabad unregistered, no warranty. Driven for 4k kms. 2.4L MT 2010 model. Last price 7.75 ex showroom. CNG fitted.
Can you please send me the contact details from where I should take this forward

Last edited by Zappo : 1st September 2016 at 14:53. Reason: Please use only the relevant part in your quotes. Avoid posting huge quotes for a 1-liner reply.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:35   #18
R_R
BHPian

One other thing to look out for when you test drive. I do find that my GV tends to have some vibration noise, and there is some rattling from the dashboard. I don't know if its just my vehicle or whether this is a general issue. The GV suspension is a bit hard, and I am usually driving alone; and with the state of our roads, I guess things begin to rattle come lose after a while. I usually tell my service guys to tighten the doors and seats at each service but it does not help very much. It is not intolerable or anything, of course, but it can be annoying at times.

RR
Old 11th April 2014, 11:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also a big fan of the GV. I seriously considered it back in Dec 2008, test drove it a couple of times before eventually buying a used Tucson. The 2.0L engine (the only one available at that time) was quite boring, and did not do justice to this fantastic car. Go for the 2.4L, no questions asked. You can drive the 2.4L slow (if and when you want), but you can't drive the 2.0L fast

Silver and white look amazing. Whenever I see one on the road, my head still turns...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 11th April 2014 at 11:36.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

I am on it Akshay, thanks of the ping

Can you please send me the contact details from where I should take this forward
And once you are the proud owner please do post a detailed initial ownership report. All the best!!
Old 11th April 2014, 17:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
And once you are the proud owner please do post a detailed initial ownership report. All the best!!
Let see

Unfortunately a car lying with dealer for more than 3 year means very very high probability of playing with parts.

I know cases where parts from unsold cars in stock being used to cater the cars of other customers, under pressure.

There are many ways and reasopns dealer can screw a car till its with them, while the actual owner will take care of it like a baby
rkbharat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 18:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Incidentally only yesterday I got input from a friend who is wanting to sell his lovingly kept and maintained 2008 2.0lt Black GV. He suffered from a stroke recently and is not going to be able to drive atleast for year or two. Anyone interested?
Sudev Sir's friends car appears a better preposition to me than the one lying at the dealer at Ahmedabad.

But, would suggest you to check out both. If feasible, take a very good MASS mechanic from Delhi (who works with GV's) and get the car at the dealer thoroughly checked.

I myself have seen parts being swapped & with as rare car as a GV, you can't rule it out either.

Quote:
Let see

Unfortunately a car lying with dealer for more than 3 year means very very high probability of playing with parts.

I know cases where parts from unsold cars in stock being used to cater the cars of other customers, under pressure.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 18:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

This GV in Ahmedabad - I just saw a few posts above that it's 2010 model, 4000 km run, CNG fitted and yet unregistered! This is absurd. Why do people do such illegal nonsense?

I would say just forget about it.
Old 11th April 2014, 18:27   #24
BHPian

Though at 8Lacs this is tempting, I think one is forgetting that this is the ex-Showroom porice once again; There will be an overhead of nearly 2-3Lacs minimum to get it insured and registered. So now at nearly 11 Lacs + I dont know how good a deal it is any more....atleast for some of us.
nanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 07:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
One other thing to look out for when you test drive. I do find that my GV tends to have some vibration noise, and there is some rattling from the dashboard. I don't know if its just my vehicle or whether this is a general issue. The GV suspension is a bit hard, and I am usually driving alone; and with the state of our roads, I guess things begin to rattle come lose after a while. I usually tell my service guys to tighten the doors and seats at each service but it does not help very much. It is not intolerable or anything, of course, but it can be annoying at times.
Two things.

First check : have two people sit in the back sets and check for that rattle noise. If it disappears...the noise is from rear seat catch lock. You need to wind a bit of tape on the catch tubes to make it tight fit and rattle free.

Second check : Remove the rear wheel cover. If this is the culprit then intelligent use of double sided tape around the inner cover to prevent rattle from outer cover will help.

Last check : Is the rattle at low speed high gears? Say around 30kmph in fourth? And disappears when speed picks up? Then it is the universal joint on the rear prop shaft. Typical result of abusing the transmission with lazy gear changing. More pronounced in Gypsy's.

Other wise GV does not tend to rattle and this is one of its positives. Even at my ODO readings.
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 08:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Actually, this doesn't make sense. GV parts are quite cheap and can arrive within 7-10 days depending on the distance from New Delhi. Why remove parts from other GVs?
Old 12th April 2014, 09:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai : Not Delhi but now GV parts are centralized at Bangalore while Delhi is satellite store.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 10:17   #28
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Two things.

First check : have two people sit in the back sets and check for that rattle noise. If it disappears...the noise is from rear seat catch lock. You need to wind a bit of tape on the catch tubes to make it tight fit and rattle free.

Second check : Remove the rear wheel cover. If this is the culprit then intelligent use of double sided tape around the inner cover to prevent rattle from outer cover will help.

Last check : Is the rattle at low speed high gears? Say around 30kmph in fourth? And disappears when speed picks up? Then it is the universal joint on the rear prop shaft. Typical result of abusing the transmission with lazy gear changing. More pronounced in Gypsy's.

Other wise GV does not tend to rattle and this is one of its positives. Even at my ODO readings.
Thanks, Sudevji. I'll check these suggestions out. The rattle is really more from the dashboard but I can't seem to isolate it. I do not want to pull out the entire center console just to check it out, so I am letting it be. But I'll check out universal joint in particular because this seems like the condition when I get the most vibrations -- low speed, high gear. Thanks again, appreciate it.

R_R
Old 12th April 2014, 10:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually, this doesn't make sense. GV parts are quite cheap and can arrive within 7-10 days depending on the distance from New Delhi. Why remove parts from other GVs?
Unofrtunately , it can make sense to a dealer. In most OEM service, spare part ordering by the dealership fall into mutliple categories. There will always be :

1) Casual ordering (terminology will vary between manufacturers) - a part will be dispatched to a dealer only on a particular day or two of a week. This will undoubtedly create a lead time of 7 days to 10 days if the part is available in the warehouse and able to be immediately shipped on the particular day. Dealers get the highest margin on a spare part (lets say 18-19% of MRP) if it is ordered in this manner. Cons: Cannot commit a delivery time to the customer and vehicle idle in the workshop for more than a week. A workshop bay cannot be utilised and productivity at the dealership decreases. Hence usually fast moving items likes filters, suspension bushes, bumpers, clutches etc are ordered in the this manner and dealership will maintain a inventory of the same to close lead time gaps.

2) Emergency ordering (terminology again will vary) - a part will be dispatched at the earliest (through air if possible), irrespective of the day of the week when the dealer is placing the order. For all parts in stock at any warehouse across the country, this means the parts received within a time frame of 2-3 days from order day . This is will increase the workshop's productivity, and help to deliver the vehicle at the earliest to the customer. Mostly slow moving parts, warranty replacements, aggregates etc are ordered in this system. However dealer will earn only , lets say 2-3% margin on MRP. i.e 1/5th of the margin if ordered in a casual order system.

Now the subject vehicle is a Grand Vitara. Any item on the the vehicle , I would deem as slow moving, unless it is shared by some other model. Now a dealer will never keep inventory of GV spares. So unless a well appointed service is scheduled, he will have to resort to emergency ordering and lose margin on spares. And the catch, I have a GV in my workshop, unregistered and most likely no customer will come asking to buy one. Another GV visits the workshop , I can swap spares from the unregistered / relatively unused GV and deliver the other vehicle at the earliest. I will order the replaced spares under Casual ordering , fit it back to the unregistered GV, and get good margin also. Now whether the dealer will do the last part judisciously will remain a question.

A unregistered vehicle with no potential of sale to end customer , major accident vehicle , a vehicle which is part of a never ending legal battle and in the workshop - All are potential for such malpractices. It finally boils down to the ethics of the workshop management and how quickly OEMs can supply a new spare part. I dont know this particular GV or the particular Maruthi dealer, but these are facts in the automobile service industry
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 11:01   #30
BHPian

Used Grand Vitara - what to expect?

Hello Friends,

this is my first post since becoming a member couple days ago. I have been reading reviews and discussions about lot of cars. One of my neighbor used to own a Grand Vitara 2.0 AT Nov 2007 model. I had seen the car being used sparingly. I often used to wonder about the usefulness of the car especially considering the high price tag, and low mileage. Just out of curiosity I started reading about GV - discussions and what the owners had to say. What I heard, read and saw changed my opinion quite a lot about this car. From a mere passing interest, I actually started to dream about owning this car. Just out of pure luck (well, I call it luck for now) my neighbor decided to sell his car last month. The asking price was 5.5, but after some friendly negotiations he agreed to sell it for 5 lacs. Without giving a second thought, I leaped at it (now I feel I should have given it some more thought).

Make: Grand Vitara AT 2.0 Nov 2007
Color: Bluish Black
Kms done: 47,000
CNG fitted
Condition: overall very good.
Negatives: broken left tail lamp, broken radio antenna, couple of minor scratches, some bumper work (evident from screws), non working central locking, AC requires servicing.
Cost of Repairs: approx. 6 - 7000 (2600 - tail lamp, 400 - radio antenna, 1200 - AC servicing, 2000 - remote central locking assembly change)

I wish experienced GV owners - Samurai, Sudev or GRV to share their opinion on my rather impromptu purchase and what do they recommend about improving the mileage, if anything can be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks