Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:38   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Have you done a suspension overhaul yet? Could you share the specifics on what you replaced and how much it costed you to do so?
In the initial few years, I had to deal with terrible roads on an everyday basis. The OE tyres went bald at 17000kms, that should give an idea. I never did suspension overhaul in one go. But I replaced suspension parts as and when they went bad. By now most of the suspension parts are replaced at least once, like shocks, lower arms, stabilizer bars, etc. But none of the parts are expensive, unlike Hyundai parts. The Santro/i10 parts cost me more than GV parts. Same case with labour. After 50K I switched to synthetic oil, otherwise my service bill would have stayed even lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
What other things should I look for before I jump in?
Check the 4WD mechanism, other than the routine mechanicals, which any competent mechanic can inspect.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd March 2016 at 10:40.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:00   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
What other things should I look for before I jump in?
Check the service history on the MASS system. Regular oil changes means there should not be any nasty surprises. Get all fluids (including coolant & brake fluid) changed even if does not seem necessary.

I second Samurai's observations - repair costs are very reasonable. See my post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-years-51.html

Also change the spark plugs to iridium type. It helps the drivability enormously.

Best of luck.
Old 7th April 2016, 14:44   #63
BHPian

Hi guys! I just spoke with a gentlemen from Gurgaon who's selling his 2008 Silver colourd 2.4 GV (Manual). It has run about 80K. I have heard that GV's don't really trouble much if serviced well and can easily last upto 1.50L Kms. This one has a CNG Kit imported from Germany apparently. I was wondering if GV owners can shed some light on these few queries please -

1. I am not a CNG fan. At all. Would life be difficult with it or should I let it be. Any pros, apart from money saved on petrol, and cons? I am a complete novice in CNG terminology!

2. After 80k kms, what should I expect as major expenses? Spares availability?

3. It's Gurgaon registered and I am based in Delhi. Since it cannot be transferred to Delhi, would it be ok to drive only on the basis of sale letter?

4. Asking price is 4.15L. But negotiations are expected.

Thanks in advance
Old 7th April 2016, 14:56   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagzie View Post
Hi guys! I just spoke with a gentlemen from Gurgaon who's selling his 2008 Silver colourd 2.4 GV (Manual). It has run about 80K.
I'd say you should run too, away I mean.

The GV 2.4L was released in India in June 2009. Before that GV was 2L only.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys! I just spoke with a gentlemen from Gurgaon who's selling his 2008 Silver colourd 2.4 GV (Manual).
The Gurgaon one (Silver?) is a 2 litre . I have doubts on the reason for sale. As per the owner he has spent almost 1.5 lacs on the CNG kit only 6 months back

Please evaluate thoroughly.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2016 at 07:36. Reason: Trimming quoted text
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys! I just spoke with a gentlemen from Gurgaon who's selling his 2008 Silver colourd 2.4 GV (Manual). It has run about 80K. I have heard that GV's don't really trouble much if serviced well and can easily last upto 1.50L Kms. This one has a CNG Kit imported from Germany apparently. I was wondering if GV owners can shed some light on these few queries please -

1. I am not a CNG fan. At all. Would life be difficult with it or should I let it be. Any pros, apart from money saved on petrol, and cons? I am a complete novice in CNG terminology!

2. After 80k kms, what should I expect as major expenses? Spares availability?

3. It's Gurgaon registered and I am based in Delhi. Since it cannot be transferred to Delhi, would it be ok to drive only on the basis of sale letter?

4. Asking price is 4.15L. But negotiations are expected.

Thanks in advance
2008 means it is a 2 Litre engine and not 2.4.

CNG is supposed to affect the performance of the engine and you can expect some deterioration even after removing it.

At 80,000 kms you are looking at the following repairs :-
1. Full fluids change - 10,000 -15,000 cost.
2. Possible change of clutch: 12,000 - 15,000
3. Front Lower Arms: 6,000 each - check for noise
4. Miscellaneous bushes: 5,000
5. Steering end ball joints: 5,000 per side if play is there
6. Check for transfer case oil level and whether there is leakage from the Oil Seal of the rear output shaft.
7. Serpentine belt driving alternator etc.: 10,000 if change is required. It's suggested change is at 90,000 kms.
8. Spark plugs: 1,000 if ordinary; 4,000 for iridium
9. Air filter: 900
10. general service, tune up and throtlebody cleaning: 5,000

Tyres, battery and lights can be visually checked.

Budget for 50,000 contingency repairs. Show the vehicle to a MASS and check service records if possible.
4.15L is on the higher side for a 2008 manual in NCR area. A detailed test drive will indicate possible problems. Reduce atleast the cost of repairs you can estimate after the drive. Removing the CNG will also cost you some money. Also reduce the price for the loss of power due to CNG conversion.

If you are not in a hurry stay away from CNG converted vehicles.
Best of luck.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I'd say you should run too, away I mean.

The GV 2.4L was released in India in June 2009. Before that GV was 2L only.

I feel so Thanks man! I would have wasted a trip to Gurgaon and then would have realized this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
The Gurgaoan one (Silver?) is a 2 litre . I have doubts on the reason for sale. As per the owner he has spent almost 1.5 lacs on the CNG kit only 6 months back

Pls evaluate thoroughly.
Yes that's the one. And as Samurai advised, I'll be running away from this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
2008 means it is a 2 Litre engine and not 2.4.

CNG is supposed to affect the performance of the engine and you can expect some deterioration even after removing it.

At 80,000 kms you are looking at the following repairs :-
Thanks for the details! Would be really helpful when I find the right one. As of now, I am just starting to warm up to the idea of getting a GV (which explains my lack of knowledge of it ) First, I have to find a good one and then ask permission from my wife to go for it! It was her idea of getting a Vitara but Brezza. And I somehow started dreaming about the old GV!

Last edited by Samurai : 7th April 2016 at 16:33. Reason: back-to-back posts. Use multi-quote feature
Old 7th April 2016, 16:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details! Would be really helpful when I find the right one. As of now, I am just starting to warm up to the idea of getting a GV (which explains my lack of knowledge of it ) First, I have to find a good one and then ask permission from my wife to go for it! It was her idea of getting a Vitara but Brezza. And I somehow started dreaming about the old GV!
Be warned - the Grand Vitara is a petrol guzzler. My 2L AT gives 6-8 kmpl in city and 8-9.5 in the hills. A manual will be slightly better.

The sheer joy of driving it, particularly on bad roads is something to be experienced. It is 4WD with low ratio box. Brezza is a tame pussycat before this beast in sheep's clothes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...shet-lake.html

sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 08:30   #69
BHPian

Bumping up a slightly old thread.

Recently I have been on the lookout for an SUV for weekend get-aways and out of town drives. I do not anticipate very heavy travel usage, maybe to the tune of 1000 kms in 2 months.

Since the money is limited, I started looking at second hand cars in the market. The search started with a used LC Prado 1991 model (which after some rational logical thinking, I dropped) and is now at cross-roads between a used 2007/08 CRV and a used 2007/08 Grand Vitara.

Both these cars, run around 50 - 70k are listed at various classifieds at around Rs. 4 to 7 L, depending on the condition, around Delhi NCR.

Some questions that maybe the members can help me answer:

1. Which of the two is a better bet considering 5 seating with me driving for weekend getaways to the surrounding hills and river sides.
2. Maintenance and spares availability
3. Cost of ownership
4. What are the check-up points that I should be aware of in both the cars (atleast for GV) before buying one
5. Mileage is not so much of a concern and I am okay with 8 km / ltr kind of stats.
6. Feature wise, which is better?

Looking forward to the inputs so that I can move ahead on this.
Old 18th July 2016, 15:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Bumping up a slightly old thread.

Recently I have been on the lookout for an SUV for weekend get-aways and out of town drives. I do not anticipate very heavy travel usage, maybe to the tune of 1000 kms in 2 months.

Since the money is limited, I started looking at second hand cars in the market. The search started with a used LC Prado 1991 model (which after some rational logical thinking, I dropped) and is now at cross-roads between a used 2007/08 CRV and a used 2007/08 Grand Vitara.

Both these cars, run around 50 - 70k are listed at various classifieds at around Rs. 4 to 7 L, depending on the condition, around Delhi NCR.

Some questions that maybe the members can help me answer:

1. Which of the two is a better bet considering 5 seating with me driving for weekend getaways to the surrounding hills and river sides.
2. Maintenance and spares availability
3. Cost of ownership
4. What are the check-up points that I should be aware of in both the cars (atleast for GV) before buying one
5. Mileage is not so much of a concern and I am okay with 8 km / ltr kind of stats.
6. Feature wise, which is better?

Looking forward to the inputs so that I can move ahead on this.
The CRV is a softroader. Excellent dynamics for long distance highway runs and the occasional "kuccha" road.

The Grand Vitara is a moderate offroader due to its low range gear box and better ground clearance. You won't be able to take it to a Rainforest Challenge, but it will do its fair share of river-crossing, mud plugging and rock climbing. Interiors are not as posh as the CRV. On the plus side it will be much cheaper to maintain compared to the CRV. Also reliability is suberb.

So pick one depending on what you want to do. My opinion - Grand Vitara.

Best of luck.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 05:43   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I feel so It was her idea of getting a Vitara but Brezza. And I somehow started dreaming about the old GV!
Dont compare the Brezza with the GV. There is absolutely no comparison beyond the name.

The Brezza is a decent product but is a bit of a 'cheap as chips' thing, designed specifically with the Indian consumer in mind, on account of this penchant for SUV-esque vehicles.

The Grand Vitara is a completely different beast with some real proper SUV DNA - it can handle all the typical bad roads, snow, slush, rocks and other stuff you throw at it because it is basically a semi off roader with excellent city/ street cred. A top car.

There were two here in Bangalore in HSR Layout in the last 2-3 weeks. One was white and very well kept indeed with less no of kms on the clock. That was going for around 7 lacs or 8 lacs. This one is in good shape - I didn't drive it but I started it and its engine was sweet.
There is one Grey one also around here and that will probably sell for about 6. However the Grey one is not in great nick - Ive test driven it. it needs a bit of work and lots of care and some repairs - the current owner will let it go at a nice price but the new owner will need to spend some money to bring it back to top shape.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 18:56   #72

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a user Grand Vitara in the Bangalore region. If anyone in the BHP community knows of someone that is looking to sell, please let me know.

Also, is there an option to move the spare wheel from the back of the vehicle to either below the boot or under the car? I understand a lot of people like the wheel in the back look, but from a practical point of view (parking in the city, ability for others to open the boot etc), I'd prefer the wheel to be elsewhere. Just checking that is an option.

-M
Old 9th December 2016, 19:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Does MSIL have any plans to launch the new Grand Vitara in India anytime soon?
Old 9th December 2016, 20:33   #74
Team-BHP Support

There is no new Grand Vitara. The old Grand Vitara is still around. The new one is just Vitara, with AWD. Because they brought in the Brezza, there is little chance they will get that Vitara.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 14:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

I wrote to MSIL regarding the availability of the GV in India, just for the heck of it Here is the response I got:
Quote:
We always strive hard to provide you the most stable Products and best Services. Today India is a very dynamic car market. The customers are expecting new products as a result product life cycle are getting shortened. In addition, fierce competition has major impact on decision-making for introduction of new product in the market as and when required. Thus, we have discontinued the production of Grand Vitara model.
Thankfully, and surprisingly, they did not advise me to consider the Brezza instead!

Cheers...
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks