Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 09:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

To start with Grand Vitara MT is selected, so there is no confusion or discussion on the same.

I am confused between 2 Ltr or 2.4 Ltr version. Request GV owners to please help me on the following:

1. Is 2 Ltr powered enough for bad road drives, heavy slush, snow, stones etc. Not really proper off-roading.

2. What is the overall gain of power in 2.4 ltr from 2 ltr.

3. Which one is easy to maintain, or is there any difference in maintenance?

4. Considering that its an almost non selling vehicle, do you get the parts and consumables easily. I prefer MASC, do they have good mechanics to service GV.

5. In first quick search, I could find few 2ltr MT between 5-6 lakh, and I guess there will be some negotiations over it. 2.4 Ltr MT are very very few, around 8-9 lakh.

6. What is FE difference between two versions?

Few other questions?

1. I plan to change the shocks to Ironman Lift kit, immediately I get the car in hand, anybody have any experience with Ironman shocks?

2. I want to up-size the tyres a bit, I think the wheel well can accommodate it?

3. What are the key things to check while buying a 2nd hand GV, which can indicate the abuse? Besides the standard checks

And lastly:

Are there any owners who are planning to sell their GV, I would prefer a TBHP car, considering the way TBHPians maintain their cars .

Last edited by rkbharat : 4th April 2014 at 09:33.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Grand Vitara 2.4L MT owned by member OldMonk won the NDure category of Desert Storm 2012 and 2014. Others have also won multiple Raid De Himalaya rally crown in Grand Vitara 2.4L MT, including the latest in 2013.

You gotta ask yourselves one question. Do you really need this much power?

The 2.0L version is proper bad roader, and can handle bad roads, heavy slush, snow, stones, etc. Anything short of hardcore offroading.

Team-BHPians who own GVs have to be crazy to sell it. In fact, they are buying old GVs from other unsuspecting non-TBHP GV owners. Udupi BHPian Sashas (Sachin) just bought a 2008 Vitara. We are having a photo session soon.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th April 2014 at 09:45.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Grand Vitara 2.4L MT owned by member OldMonk won the NDure category of Desert Storm 2012 and 2014. Others have also won multiple Raid De Himalaya rally crown in Grand Vitara 2.4L MT, including the latest in 2013.

The 2.0L version is proper bad roader, and can handle bad roads, heavy slush, snow, stones, etc. Anything short of hardcore offroading.

Team-BHPians who own GVs have to be crazy to sell it. In fact, they are buying old GVs from other unsuspecting non-TBHP GV owners. Udupi BHPian Sashas (Sachin) just bought a 2008 Vitara. We are having a photo session soon.
Great to hear from the first owner of GV on TBHP

Honestly speaking I don't know if the difference of power is really worth in 2.4 . While I know people like you, Sudev ji and others who drive 2 Ltr to places meant for horses and not cars.

So I will just go with the advice of the owners here.

My requirements is get into the heavy slush/snow/bad roads and come out safely, with family. Good space and abundance of Ground Clearance.

Oh and I just realized that GV is fast disappearing from the 2nd hand market

Please help me on few other questions above?
Old 4th April 2014, 10:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

8-9 Lakhs is crazy. I was once offered a 2.4 liter GV with about 6k kms on the clock driven unregistered by the MD of a dealership for about 7 lakhs with a year's warranty so that ought to set you off on how much they are worth

The car is definitely a really good choice and I would definitely go with the 2.4 over the 2.0 It has a lot more power. So the car goes from feeling slightly underpowered to very powerful. Also it is a little more fuel efficient owing to the variable valve timing and the fact that you mash your foot down far less often. The 2.4 also comes with 17 inchers over the 16 inch wheels on the 2.0

So in the end, for the right price ( sub 8 lakhs ) the 2.4 is one to get . Glad to hear a prospective GV owner out there. we almost bought the car in December (was so excited to own both a Kiz and a GV) but then sudden financial constraints have hampered our passion for owning one. Perhaps someother day then.

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th April 2014 at 10:07.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 16:19   #5
R_R
BHPian

Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

First things first, Bharat, I ain't selling mine, love it too much!!:

More seriously, to your questions:

I think its always better to have more power than less, especially if you are going to remote areas and playing in the snow. I do feel the 2 ltr is a wee bit under-powered but I haven't driven the 2.4 version so I can't compare directly. But I would go with what others have said, which is that for most routine bad-road stuff, the 2 ltr is more than sufficient.

I don't know about maintenance difference, again, but I have so far had no major issues with maintaining my 2008 GV. Sometimes some small parts have to be ordered and it is better to go to a main service centre and not to a MASC. I had a small oil leak and needed a seal and after several weeks of trying the MASC that I went to threw up their hands. I went to main centre and they did it in less than a week. I like MASC because you can stand by the vehicle while they are working on it but I have decided to go there only for routine servicing and washing. As far as expertise with GV goes, I think the main service places may be slightly better, but I am still nervous because I can't see what they are upto with the car.

I have not had any problem with spares, but then again you don't need much if you get a good GV. The only trouble I had was with the Rs. 200 seal that had to be ordered!

I don't know the FE difference but with careful driving I get about 10.5-11 in my driving, mostly from Gurgaon to South Delhi, and mostly off-peak. Expect this to go down to about 9.0 to 9.5 during the summer months with AC on full-time.

I think you should get it cheaper than the prices you mentioned considering there is only enthusiast demand for the car and its a petrol vehicle. I am extremely wary of buying second-hand, and went ahead only because it was a Team-BHPian car. But I was still worried because he was not the original owner and he had bought it second-hand himself a few months earlier.

RR
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 21:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I am confused between 2 Ltr or 2.4 Ltr version.
The 2.4L is better than the 2.0L in every way. It has better low end response, a flatter torque curve as well as superior open road performance. Those 40 odd horses make a huge difference. It's a DOHC with variable valve tech. The 0 – 100 time is nearly 3 seconds faster than the old 2.0 engine.

Quote:
plan to change the shocks to Ironman Lift kit, immediately I get the car in hand, anybody have any experience with Ironman shocks?
The GV has very good ride & handling in stock form. Suggest you drive it for a while before planning upgrades.

Quote:
Oh c'mon, end of the day, it's only 164 horses...not some 500 BHP monster . Like the old Honda City; you could make do with the 1.3L, but the 1.5 made you smile wider. Once you've driven the 1.5, there's no going back to the 1.3. Given a choice between the two, I see absolutely no reason to pick a 2.0 over the 2.4.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 13:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

IF - that is a big if in case you missed it - you can find a 2.4 buy it else 2.0 is good enough for all that I have been able to throw at it. Do not feel need to add anything else.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 08:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Incidentally only yesterday I got input from a friend who is wanting to sell his lovingly kept and maintained 2008 2.0lt Black GV. He suffered from a stroke recently and is not going to be able to drive atleast for year or two. Anyone interested?
Old 10th April 2014, 18:29   #9
BHPian

white grand vitara available in ahmedabad unregistered, no warranty. Driven for 4k kms. 2.4L MT 2010 model. Last price 7.75 ex showroom. CNG fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_2013100536287.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_201310054675.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_2013100529346.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_2013100519109.jpg  

Last edited by rockporiom : 10th April 2014 at 18:34.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 19:55   #10
BHPian

Seems like a good deal, I bought mine for like 6lac about 2 years ago but that was the 2.0
And yes, I wish I had the 2.4, I do find it a tad underpowered, but its fine, Its not so much fun to drive compared to the 2.4 but it gets the job done well, especially for what it is really meant for.
nanu28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 19:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Driven for 4k kms. 2.4L MT 2010 model. Last price 7.75 ex showroom. CNG fitted.
Somebody bought a 2.4L model and fitted CNG? Why would somebody do that?
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 20:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Anything is possible in Ahmedabad. I had posted a pic earlier of a Kizashi which was CNG fitted. There are even Accord's and petrol Merc's which are CNG fitted.
rockporiom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 20:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Unreal, but I guess it is to answer the customary question of "Kitna Dethi Hai"
nanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 20:14   #14
BHPian

I know this is Is it possible to undo the CNG fitment?
Old 11th April 2014, 07:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

From all tuners of race and rally cars I understood that once an engine has been fitted with CNG it will be ruined for power out put and performance even when switched back exclusively to petrol.

However with only 4k on odo this is tempting.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks