Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 20:22   #91
BHPian

Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

I think your estimate of 1.5L worth of repairs is in the right ballpark. At 87k kms that engine should not be a worry at all, it will do a lot more. Please make sure that regular servicing has been done, Maruti ASS will be able to tell you that.

Quote:
Most importantly walk upto a large dealership and request for price of major parts you are looking at replacing for this GV. Then do the math and final call.
This is something you should really do before buying, but do consider the costs you will incur in the next few tens of thousands of kms. My 2L MT GV does about 8-8.5 Rs./km in terms of fuel cost in Delhi/Gurgaon traffic, and 6.5 Rs./km on highways. Servicing isn't too expensive but suspension components are a bit on the higher side compared to India-made cars (although sometimes cheaper and good quality third party options are available, I learnt this too late after plonking cash on Suzuki parts ).

Just make sure the important components do not show any signs of replacement since they are not cheap and can easily inflate that 1.5L estimate. Being thorough is key.

Here is something I did while I was hunting for my GV. I looked at this list of Maruti genuine parts on Team-BHP (the Excel file in the post) and focused on the more expensive parts to assess the condition: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1588526

This is a very old price list and some of the prices have increased by 2 times while some are still the same, but it will still give you a relative idea of what things on the GV are expensive. Make sure those components do not need replacement anytime soon whatsoever.

Feel free to get in touch if you need!
Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 10:09   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
I think your estimate of 1.5L worth of repairs is in the right ballpark. At 87k kms that engine should not be a worry at all, it will do a lot more. Please make sure that regular servicing has been done, Maruti ASS will be able to tell you that.

This is something you should really do before buying, but do consider the costs you will incur in the next few tens of thousands of kms. My 2L MT GV does about 8-8.5 Rs./km in terms of fuel cost in Delhi/Gurgaon traffic, and 6.5 Rs./km on highways. Servicing isn't too expensive but suspension components are a bit on the higher side compared to India-made cars (although sometimes cheaper and good quality third party options are available, I learnt this too late after plonking cash on Suzuki parts ).

Just make sure the important components do not show any signs of replacement since they are not cheap and can easily inflate that 1.5L estimate. Being thorough is key.

Here is something I did while I was hunting for my GV. I looked at this list of Maruti genuine parts on Team-BHP (the Excel file in the post) and focused on the more expensive parts to assess the condition: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1588526

This is a very old price list and some of the prices have increased by 2 times while some are still the same, but it will still give you a relative idea of what things on the GV are expensive. Make sure those components do not need replacement anytime soon whatsoever.

Feel free to get in touch if you need!

Thanks Tanmay. This was very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Get it!! 3.5L after repainting and full new tyres, for a known vehicle, is a steal. remember to change all fluids and clean throttle body during service.
Thanks Sridhar, for the confidence you give me. I am the kind who loves technical things. I owned a RD350 for 20 years and did almost everything myself. To embark on a thing like this one has to be a DIY person with some good mechanics with him. I have both these things and so I am inclined to take the plunge. We are in Delhi and have access to sourcing new parts and if need be old parts from scrapped vehicles in Mayapuri.

I always feel that it is always better to buy a vehicle from a known source as there are no hidden things. When I bought my Camry 2008 Automatic in 2011, it was in Mint condition and from a known person and I did pay a premium of a lac on the market price. I'm glad as till now I have spent an average of under 10K each year just on service.

Buying from a dealer, we might just get a good looking car with lots of hidden devils inside.

This Vitara is of a very close friends and we know exactly what all is to be done. Infact he has left it to me how much I will pay him.

I have been going through the GV ownership thread. It is a long thread and I read pages 50-65 last night. It has a wealth of information, including a leaking power steering system. I have added Iridium Plugs, replacing all fluids (Including full synthetic engine oil) to my list of things to do.

I hope to post some pictures in a few days. We might not even need to do a full body paint job, as there are scratches on one rear left panel and rest can be touched up.
I will have lots of questions for the seniors here. What is the Original size of the tyres. In My scorpio I am only on my third set of tyres (2nd Replacement) after 1.5 lac kms. I am pretty happy with Yokohoma Geolanders, and even being a 2WD I have been able to take the Scorpio to many unthinkable places.

Last edited by Styler : 9th March 2017 at 10:11.
Old 9th March 2017, 10:36   #93
Team-BHP Support

Guys unless you have personally seen the vehicle and understand the so called jugaads mentioned, don't get carried away with your love of the car I have seen horror stories at 50k kms also, so if it were me i would get the car thoroughly checked by a competent garage who deal with this particular model.

Peace and hope it is a good car!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 14:19   #94
BHPian

Hi All,

I was in the same dilemma a few months back.

Ended up doing a lot of research and finally bought a used GV 2.0L 2007 MT 92K run at 2.3L from Delhi.

Have spent around 1 L on denting, painting, tyres replacement, & mechanical work. Did a test run to Nainital on this New Year. Detailed ownership report coming up soon.

Pasco in Gurgaon was able to supply set of parts. Rest was done by a competent garage in Gurgaon - Goodwill Motors.

Till now have had it for 3 months, without any issues (touchwood!). Maruti guys say that all major parts stocked in Bangalore, else can be imported from Japan in 15 days.

Have been using it off and on in Gurgaon traffic. Itching to take it out on the highways.

The 2.0 does feel a strained for spirited driving, but overall seems to be a competent mile cruncher, apart from the mileage.

Overall, feel that it was a very value for money buy! A close relative is so impressed at the value for money offering, he is now keenly looking for a 2.4 MT in earnest. Let me know if any are available.
prateekswarup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 16:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Guys unless you have personally seen the vehicle and understand the so called jugaads mentioned, don't get carried away with your love of the car I have seen horror stories at 50k kms also, so if it were me i would get the car thoroughly checked by a competent garage who deal with this particular model.

Peace and hope it is a good car!
That is generally true but this is not like most other D segment vehicles. Extremely easy to maintain these GVs. You can do any amount of jugaad to a simplistic japanese machine like this and that would not mean the service estimate gets inflated by too much. These cars are pretty bulletproof, easy to maintain and if I may say so, fairly cheap as well. Arguably the easiest and cheapest D segment car to maintain IMO.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 17:19   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
These cars are pretty bulletproof, easy to maintain and if I may say so, fairly cheap as well. Arguably the easiest and cheapest D segment car to maintain IMO.
Saying all this is equal to screaming world is not flat in the 10th century. Except GV owners, nobody will believe you.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th March 2017 at 17:34.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 08:57   #97
BHPian

Okay Guys, the good news is that I have got the White Grand Vitara which was discussed.
I took it for a little spin and here are some observations.
1. The engine is very responsive and in excellent condition
2. The AC is excellent
3. The Clutch seems to be working well for now, will need to get it done soon before I take it to the mountains.
4. Power Steering is leaking oil so will have to be fixed immediately.
5. Some oil seal which my friend told me about needs to be replaced.
6. Small things like Horn not working. Remote Key not working etc need to be sorted out.

Thanks to all friends here specially Samurai, Tanmay, Sridhar, Ishaan, Jaggu for their sincere advice and for giving me the confidence to go for it.
Now I will be troubling you guys with my queries.

Anyways for a start here are some picutures.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-vitara4.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-vitara3.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-vitara2.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-vitara1.jpg  

Styler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 12:52   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Okay Guys, the good news is that I have got the White Grand Vitara which was discussed.
Congratulations on the purchase! Where do you plan on getting the vehicle serviced?

Remote key wasn't working when I bought mine and it also kept draining every new battery I put in. I finally gave up and put a new battery in the second spare key and that one has been working fine since.

I have driven the GV for 11k kms since I bought it in October last year (odo is at 92k), and am I glad I made the decision to go ahead with it. The vehicle has been very reliable and fun to own.

It's an ok offroader too. Just needs an aftermarket suspension for better articulation and I also wish Suzuki had not removed the traction control system that comes in GVs in some markets outside India which reduces the need to install proper diff lockers.

Anyway, I am not sure on which thread I should post this question I have. Will do it here for now. I want to install the Old Man Emu suspension kit (new front and rear shocks and coils) and it was quoted to me for 90k + shipping from Bangalore to Gurgaon. Need to get a quote on Ironman suspension but I have a hunch their prices would be through the roof. I plan to sell the vehicle in about a year or so.

Is it likely I will be able to recover at least some portion of the 90k I spend on the suspension when I sell, or will it be sunk cost? Not sure how much value an upgraded suspension would hold in the pre-owned market.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 17:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Congratulations on the purchase! Where do you plan on getting the vehicle serviced?

Remote key wasn't working when I bought mine and it also kept draining every new battery I put in. I finally gave up and put a new battery in the second spare key and that one has been working fine since.
Tanmay,

I will be getting some basics done from my trusted FNG (Harvinder & Kumar, listed in Team-BHP NCR Directory). Things like horn, Self, Clutch and Power Steering.
Once I have the basics done I will change tyres and send it for Service to the Suzuki Authorized Service Center for Service. There they should check it thoroughly and discover any more small things that we might miss.

In the meantime it will be nice if you and other Grand Vitara Owners in Delhi/NCR can share some info :
1. Good places to source Original Suzuki Spares.
2. What is a good Suzuki Authorized Service Center for Vitara.
3. What are the tyres you recommend. I am using Yokohoma Geolanders in My Scorpio and am pretty happy with those. Any other recommendation ?

I will pm you to exchange numbers if you do not mind.

Thanks
Styler
Old 12th April 2017, 17:18   #100
BHPian

Quote:
3. What are the tyres you recommend. I am using Yokohoma Geolanders in My Scorpio and am pretty happy with those. Any other recommendation ?
I have been getting my parts from Alva Auto Spares in Sector 15 Gurgaon. They're a MGP outlet. They usually take a couple of days and give you a call when the parts have arrived. So far I have not needed anything that they did not have in stock somewhere within Gurgaon.

I went to Pasco in Gurgaon for service, though I did not get a feeling that the SA had worked on a GV before (although he said otherwise). I have read on the forum that Motorcraft Sahibabad is better suited for Vitara. It's a bit far from where I am, maybe it might be worth the drive next time.

When I had to change the front shock absorbers, I just bought them from Alva and got them installed from a known mechanic. Worked out alright.

I am running Yokohamas as well. 235/70/R16. They've been good both on and off road.

Feel free to PM me, we can get in touch.
Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 09:15   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Tanmay,

I will be getting some basics done from my trusted FNG (Harvinder & Kumar, listed in Team-BHP NCR Directory). Things like horn, Self, Clutch and Power Steering.
Once I have the basics done I will change tyres and send it for Service to the Suzuki Authorized Service Center for Service. There they should check it thoroughly and discover any more small things that we might miss.

In the meantime it will be nice if you and other Grand Vitara Owners in Delhi/NCR can share some info :

I will pm you to exchange numbers if you do not mind.

Thanks
Styler

Congrats Styler on your purchase! I myself bought a GV 2.0 2007 in November 2016 with 92k at the ODO.

Most of my servicing is done by Goodwill motors (FNG) near Star Mall Gurgaon. They are quite competent and have understanding of the GV.

Pasco can source all parts. They take a little time, but they end up getting the same. Had to replace all my door bearings, gave them an advance and they arranged for the part in10days.

I upgraded to Yoko Geolanders as soon as I got the GV. Have driven around 1000kms without any issues. Took a small trip to Nainital with the same and the grip and traction were good! Definitely value for money if you're not into hard core off-roading.

PM me your number and will connect. Also, if there is a GV group in Delhi NCR, maybe can join in.

Hope this helps.
prateekswarup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 15:10   #102
BHPian

Hello People

My Grand Vitara 2.0 2007, Manual Transmission, 92000 kms is almost done now.
Thanks to all the people specially LeoShashi, Tanmay, PrateekSwarup, Samurai, Sridhar and all others who helped me through this process.

I have got all the work done at my trusted mechanics and have not been to the Maruti Authorized Service Center yet. I do plan to visit the MASS for Service when I feel everything is done and nothing left to do. This will update the Service Records, and also update my Name and Address in the MUL records as the new owner.

All the original parts were sourced from GAPL-MGP Store here in Vasant Kunj.

The following things were done :

Mechanical / Electrical

All work was done by Harvinder and Kumar, my trusted mechanics listed in the team-bhp Delhi-NCR Directory http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...ferrerid=23587

1. Horns Installed
2. Self Bendix Replaced
3. New Amaron Flo 65AH Battery Installed
4. Brake Pads Replaced with Original Suzuki Brake Pads.
5. Link Rods Replaced
6. Under Engine Cover Installed
7. Power Steering System Checked for leaks.
8. Wiper Motor Assembly Replaced.
8. Original Cabin AC Filter Installed

Body Work

The Dent Paint Job was done with Ramesh and Rakesh, I have listed them in the Team-BHP Delhi NCR Directory http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...ferrerid=23587

The following things were done :
1. Repair of Rear Bumper
2. Installation of New Front Bumper with original Bumper Brackets.
3. Cladding on Doors Fixed Properly
4. Original Door Stoppers Installed for all 4 doors.
5. Rear Right Tail Light replaced
6. Front Fender Lining of both sides replaced.
7. Both Complete Sides including all 4 doors, and fenders Painted
8. Door Panels were removed, the silver panel painted, the upholstery replaced and then fixed back.
8. Interior Plastics restored to black color with polish
9. Complete Interior Dry-Clean

Seats and Door Panels

The custom seats with imported suede with good foam padding were done by my Seat Maker Raju in Vasant Kunj. He was a pain to deal with as he took 10 days for the seats, but the results were excellent.
He also did the upholstery for the Door panels with the same suede cloth used in the seats.

Whats left on the To-Do List for the next year
1. New Tyres ( 4 X Yokohoma Geolander AT-S)
2. Clutch overhaul. It's fine for now but need to get it done over the next year.
3. Keep checking the Power Steering for leaks.

Here are some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails
Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-vitaranew9.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-vitaranew11.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_1531.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_1533.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_1551.jpg  

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-img_1547.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 29th May 2017 at 15:22.
Styler is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 15:50   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello People

The transformation is mind blowing. I am glad I could be a part of the restoration process, albeit from 1500kms away.

Would love to checkout the beauty in person when I visit NCR later this year.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:21   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello People

Looking good, do share some cost details also. This will help others to figure out how much it would cost to restore such vehicles.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:34   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello People

Seats and Door Panels

The custom seats with imported suede with good foam padding were done by my Seat Maker Raju in Vasant Kunj. He was a pain to deal with as he took 10 days for the seats, but the results were excellent.
He also did the upholstery for the Door panels with the same suede cloth used in the seats.
Those seats look delicious could you share some more details on them, how much it costed, what the limitations are etc. ?

Most Viewed