Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2018, 18:33   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone selling 2.4lt AT in Bangalore. Second owner but apparently car is in good shape with odometer at less than 70k

Asking 5.5lac. To me this is high and will involve Interstate transfer costs. If anyone from Karnataka is interested PM will share number.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 12:20   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

It took me almost four and half years to own one, since I started this thread

Got a 2.4, AT

Few pics from the drive to Spiti and Ladakh

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-dsc_4999edit.jpg

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-dsc_5017.jpg

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-dsc_5062.jpg

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-dsc_5069edit.jpg

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-rkb_7077.jpg

Last edited by rkbharat : 1st September 2018 at 12:22.
rkbharat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 14:43   #123
BHPian

Superb pics there!! And the car looks neat.
Can you share bit more detail about car like odo reading while purchasing, price, any repairs/service carried out after purchasing.. etc.
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:03   #124
Senior - BHPian

Missed meeting you during my last Spiti visit as the number shared by Ishaan didnot seem to work. Please share the costs and other details as you seem to have found a sweet vehicle. The sunroof is an OEM or an aftermarket? Congratulations on your new ride and what happens to the Gypsy now? Beautiful pictures, can you share location for the first one? Thanks.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 3rd September 2018 at 13:05.
Old 4th September 2018, 09:11   #125
BHPian

Excellent pics rkbharat!

After getting teasers on Whatapp, these were great!

It would be great if you could share overall driving dynamics, common wear & tear that one should look for in GV specially on a trip like this.

What tyres are you running? Are these AT or off-road special?
Old 4th September 2018, 10:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Wow 2.4 Automatic is like the sought after version of this car. Congratulations on finding one amazing patience you have. Please share everything about this car with us.

On a sidenote, I am restoring a Subaru Forester as my daily driver, things are almost complete now and it is now time to pick new tyres. What is everyone's experience with Geolandar AT?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:28   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Wow 2.4 Automatic is like the sought after version of this car. Congratulations on finding one amazing patience you have. Please share everything about this car with us.

On a sidenote, I am restoring a Subaru Forester as my daily driver, things are almost complete now and it is now time to pick new tyres. What is everyone's experience with Geolandar AT?
I have a Pajero SFX and I am on my 5th set of tyres. Had the MRF from factory that were replaced right out of the showroom with Yokohama Geolander's. The grip, braking, wet traction and everything was really fantastic. Changed them at 50k to Michelin's, although smoother on tarmac they were a big let down on gravel or slippery conditions. They lasted more than the Yoko's though. Finally got the new Yokohama Geolander's last year and realized how much I missed the traction and grip. I would say the Yoko's are great go for them.

I have also used the Continental cross contact AT on a different SUV and although they look butch they will give you lot of road noise on tarmac and their braking is poor too.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 09:14   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Yokohama have got better over time. Now that they manufacture in India I think localisation also helps.
Old 16th September 2018, 10:15   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Yokohama have got better over time. Now that they manufacture in India I think localisation also helps.
The earlier Yokos had many reported issues of sidewall rupture. Although i did not face it even on the first set which was imported, I did the XTreme circuit of Raid-De-Himalaya as a marshall in 2011 on them.

Then again I did the same circuit on Michelin in 2014 and what a massive let down. I had almost no grip on gravel and slush and had quite a few narrow escapes.

I would vouch for Yokos AT anytime.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 11:52   #130
BHPian

Congrats, rkbharat, on your new set of wheels.

It is an excellent catch. And it looks great in white.
Old 30th October 2018, 06:52   #131

Dear Fellow GV Owners,

Sorry for bumping into an old thread. I am planning to buy a used 2.4 MT GV. I could use some help to see how easy/difficult it is to source spares for GV? One of my aquantance who works at Maruti ASS and one of the mechanics warned me about long waiting time and unavailability of spares. Is there a reliable source that can help with sourcing parts for GV?
I am based in Pune.

Thanks for any help!
yogiraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 09:55   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Spares are sometimes difficult as no ASS let Inventory at hand. But usually they order from central stores at Bangalore and are delivered within a week. Alternative is to get imported spares through Dubai or Singapore.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiraj View Post
Dear Fellow GV Owners,

Sorry for bumping into an old thread. I am planning to buy a used 2.4 MT GV. I could use some help to see how easy/difficult it is to source spares for GV? One of my aquantance who works at Maruti ASS and one of the mechanics warned me about long waiting time and unavailability of spares. Is there a reliable source that can help with sourcing parts for GV?
I am based in Pune.

Thanks for any help!
I owned a Kizashi which is even more rare and whose spares are even more exclusive and in my experience, it was never an issue to source parts.

Firstly, I would recommend that you only service the car at the best Maruti service center in town. Not the nearest, not even a branch of the most popular one, but the main branch of the best dealer and service center. These guys are used to getting Kizashis and Grand Vitaras and in all probability, their owners and close friends use these cars themselves so there will always be a service team that is adept at servicing them and handling requests for spares.

Admittedly, they will not stock all the spares at any service center so you should be prepared to wait for 3 days to a week for spares to come from Gurgaon. If there is an ultra rare item, for example I once had to replace the memory seat console as one of the memory switches stopped working in my Kizashi, you would have to wait about 2 weeks for the part to come straight from Japan. I have never had to wait more than 2 weeks for any parts no matter what they were. That too, I only needed to wait for 2 weeks once otherwise they usually come within 3 days to a week. I have had everything from regular consumables like oil filter, brake pads etc. replaced to items like windshields, steering rack assembly, memory seat switch console etc. replaced.

So I would say I have a fair amount of experience regarding the matter and that you need not worry about it Down time is obviously expected, but a good relationship with the service manager and scheduled coordination of service will go a long way to make your ownership of the car easy. Infact some owners of Maruti dealerships and service centers, still request me to give them a heads up if I come across a Kizashi or Grand Vitara in good shape in the used market, so don't let these guys lap them all up

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th October 2018 at 15:25. Reason: edited for better readability
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:37   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Spares are sometimes difficult as no ASS let Inventory at hand. But usually they order from central stores at Bangalore and are delivered within a week. Alternative is to get imported spares through Dubai or Singapore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I owned a Kizashi which is even more rare and whose spares are even more exclusive and in my experience, it was never an issue to source parts. ...
Thanks a lot for encouraging words. I don't mind waiting for a couple of weeks once in a while. I am used to it with my Octavia vRS, so should be ok with GV as well.

Yogiraj.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th October 2018 at 15:24. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
yogiraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 14:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiraj View Post
I don't mind waiting for a couple of weeks once in a while. I am used to it with my Octavia vRS, so should be ok with GV as well.
You should have mentioned that before itself. If you own an Octy vRS, the ownership of a GV should be a walk in the park Japanese cars typically aren't as difficult to source spares for, even if one has to do it themselves, compared to European ones.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed