Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 15:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Mahindra XUV500

I have my eyes on a Mahindra XUV 500 W8
its Feb 2012 model Black color 45Kms on the odo
interior has some abuse on the steering wheel and on the door panel which has has some paint chipped off apart from that the car seems clean.

asking price is 10lacs 90 thousand only might be slightly negotiable. its from a dealer not known though.

car is covered under Mahindra 1+ 2 year Extended warranty so has 1 year warranty remaining.

I test drove it & everything seemed fine to me. I did not check the service history or anything like that yet or got it checked from a mechanic.

Is the price worth the investment?
I really want an W8 AWD model just because i might want to go to Leh Ladakh next year, apart from that i really don't see any use of the AWD.

does the AWD make much of a difference in regular driving? I believe that the only difference between the w8 awd & w8 2wd is that awd system apart from that everything should be the same right? ESP, Hill hold / decent control is available in the w8 2wd model?
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:25   #32
BHPian

Inputs Needed!!

Hello Guys,

I was contemplating buying an used XUV500 and have found one in my neighborhood.

Details of the Car I might consider :-

XUV500 W6
Month of Registration: Feb 2013
Kms Run: 20,000
Being sold by Owner
Price Quoted: 10,50,000/-
Reason for Sale: Moving to another State (As mentioned by the owner)

Just to give a quick background, I currently own a Mahindra Xylo E8 (2009 Model) which is run 58K Kms with no issues whatsoever and the car is in good condition. No major expenses anticipated in the near future as the new tyres are not more than 10,000kms old and the battery was changed within last six months so can be considered new.

My earlier plan was to start a monthly SIP of 15K for 3 years and use the Xylo for another couple of years as the ownership so far has been trouble free and then in 2018 consider a new or well kept 2nd SUV, something similar to the XUV.

The reason I am considering the XUV is for better features, primarily pertaining to safety as the Xylo lacks ABS & Airbags which are must have in my next upgrade.

Should I give swapping a thought or live with the Xylo for some more time? If yes, what should be the expected price assuming the car is accident free & no major issues based on the feedback from ASS which I will pull out.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Team is it advisable to go for a second hand XUV with a budget of around 10 lacs ?
Saw a lot of options online but they are mostly 2011-2012 models. Are the 2012 models really reliable ? The car will be used for regular outstation trips.

Liked these two -

http://www.cartrade.com/buy-used-car...2/1178782.html

http://www.cartrade.com/buy-used-car...-2/702260.html

The price checking tool suggests the fair purchase price should be around 9.13 ,any input will be helpful.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 16th April 2015 at 12:19.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Team is it advisable to go for a second hand XUV with a budget of around 10 lacs ?
Saw a lot of options online but they are mostly 2011-2012 models. Are the 2012 models really reliable ? The car will be used for regular outstation trips.
By now almost all the niggles have been sorted out, even for 2011/12 cars if the owner kept the cars well you can easily get a niggle free car. Just take care to buy a car that is still under warranty and get the niggles sorted on your own. If the vehicle is under warranty you can even buy extended warranty for 2 more years over and above the standard 3 year warranty.

It is very rare to find a dealer car without tampered odo, get the service record from Mahindra for any car you consider. Over these Cartrade and Carwale listed cars you'll find genuine car on direct classifieds like OLX. Just do not buy a car in hurry.

I bought a 2012 pre owned XUV-500 AWD, 2 years ago, go through my ownership thread for details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 16th April 2015, 13:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Liked these two -

The price checking tool suggests the fair purchase price should be around 9.13 ,any input will be helpful.
Hello, i currently own a 2012 XUV 500 W8, with ODO 76000kms,
the car still runs great without any major issues, but i advice you to go through the vehicle history before buying,for instance my vehicle as the complete service history easily available with my service centre and they even email the service history to the owner, so stick to individuals and do ask for the service history of the vehicle.
About the 2012 model of the car, be sure to ask if the car had gone through the brake and suspension upgrade and thats all.

All the luck to you finding your dream ride.

Regards,
Tanveer.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:30   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
About the 2012 model of the car, be sure to ask if the car had gone through the brake and suspension upgrade and thats all.
Regards,
Tanveer.

Brake upgrade. I have heard about that. The brake pads were changed. In some cases even the brake pedal.

What about the suspension upgrade on 2012 model car? Can you please share details about the suspension upgrade. What all was upgraded, which parts? and what problems did the suspension upgrade solved.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Liked these two -

I have recently put my own XUV AWD for sale - http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/XUV500.html/

If you are serious on a pre-owned XUV, we can meet up and discuss more
Old 16th April 2015, 14:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Brake upgrade. I have heard about that. The brake pads were changed. In some cases even the brake pedal.

What about the suspension upgrade on 2012 model car? Can you please share details about the suspension upgrade. What all was upgraded, which parts? and what problems did the suspension upgrade solved.
Brake pads as well as the brake pedal both, this was to improve the braking bite/feel while braking.

Suspension bushes in my case was replaced, it was told to me the bushes which came with the car was later discontinued since it was getting worn out/damaged really quick.

These updates are too recorded with the service center so you can fetch information regarding this as well.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:13   #39
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Suspension bushes in my case was replaced, it was told to me the bushes which came with the car was later discontinued since it was getting worn out/damaged really quick.

These updates are too recorded with the service center so you can fetch information regarding this as well.
If you are talking about front stabilizer bar bushes, yes, those have been changed multiple times even in my car. In my opinion, the problem with suspension noise in XUV is way beyond the khad-khad noise from the stabilizer bar bushes. Those bushes cost some 70 Rs a piece and even the current ones are far from perfect. Mahindra officially asks you replace them every 10K kms. In reality, they start giving trouble much earlier.

If I were you, I wouldn't call the "marginally better" stabilizer bushes as "Suspension Upgrade".

Last edited by SDP : 16th April 2015 at 15:15.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are talking about front stabilizer bar bushes, yes, those have been changed multiple times even in my car. In my opinion, the problem with suspension noise in XUV is way beyond the khad-khad noise from the stabilizer bar bushes. Those bushes cost some 70 Rs a piece and even the current ones are far from perfect. Mahindra officially asks you replace them every 10K kms. In reality, they start giving trouble much earlier.

If I were you, I wouldn't call the "marginally better" stabilizer bushes as "Suspension Upgrade".
Agreed, even the brake pad and pedal upgrade dint bring out a drastic change,
and like you mentioned those bushes worn out really quick and its changed everytime the car visits the service center, quality
Old 16th April 2015, 16:45   #41
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed, even the brake pad and pedal upgrade dint bring out a drastic change,
Sorry for having to disagree with you twice in a single day.

The original brake pads from bosch were lousy to say the least. Used to groan so loudly that people inside as well as outside the car used to get scared with the noise. The original brakes also "seemed" weak because when you press the brake pedal, for about an inch nothing used to happen. By that time, you would be that much closer to the car in front and then you had to compensate by stomping on the brake pedal so that you don't rear-end that car.

Mahindra tried many different brake pad designs from Bosch, but the problem with groaning continued. Then Galfer brake pads solved the problem once and for all.

Then they tweaked the brake pedal design as well. With the new brake pedal, the brakes start biting the moment you touch the pedal, thereby improving the confidence in the braking.

I have both these "upgrades" and I have said it earlier "there is a day and night kind of change in the braking of the car before and after this change."

Last edited by SDP : 16th April 2015 at 16:47.
Old 16th April 2015, 17:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for having to disagree with you twice in a single day.

The original brake pads from bosch were lousy to say the least. Used to groan so loudly that people inside as well as outside the car used to get scared with the noise. The original brakes also "seemed" weak because when you press the brake pedal, for about an inch nothing used to happen. By that time, you would be that much closer to the car in front and then you had to compensate by stomping on the brake pedal so that you don't rear-end that car.

Mahindra tried many different brake pad designs from Bosch, but the problem with groaning continued. Then Galfer brake pads solved the problem once and for all.

Then they tweaked the brake pedal design as well. With the new brake pedal, the brakes start biting the moment you touch the pedal, thereby improving the confidence in the braking.

I have both these "upgrades" and I have said it earlier "there is a day and night kind of change in the braking of the car before and after this change."

The thing is, while braking i never felt the delay while pressing the pedal from day one and i never had any kind of noise while braking, only when the car is on a slope and if you havent pressed the brake hard enough the car moves forward with a noise, what i faced was less braking effect which used make me stomp my brakes every now and then, for instance (tapping the brakes little would make you feel yes the car is slowing down but not enough) galfer sure did solve that problem, but now there is braking noise experienced occasionally.
There are many different niggles like these in different cars, 3 of my other friends who own xuv (2012 model) 2 of them never faced any issue with braking, and the other one faced multiple issues with suspension and braking both, touchwood for me none of these problems were faced.
My car might me little different from yours maybe its mahindra after all and hence we tend to disagree with eachother
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 10:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
By now almost all the niggles have been sorted out, even for 2011/12 cars if the owner kept the cars well you can easily get a niggle free car. Just take care to buy a car that is still under warranty and get the niggles sorted on your own. If the vehicle is under warranty you can even buy extended warranty for 2 more years over and above the standard 3 year warranty.

I bought a 2012 pre owned XUV-500 AWD, 2 years ago, go through my ownership thread for details.
I am hunting high & low for a Maharashtra (barring Mumbai) registered petrol suv with AT & AWD/4X4, though on a rather limited budget.

If I do not get one the other option is to wait and buy a new XUV500 when they launch the AT version. (hopefully it wi;; be in AWD!).

Re XUV I have only 1 concern:-
In the Australian NCAP test they have awarded 4 stars overall, but the physical crash performance was shockingly poor in the footwell area.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.ancap.co...pdf?1416970911

Looks like a classic case of spot welds giving way. Vehicle tested was of 2012 vintage. I read news that Mahindra have changed the spotwelding pattern and quality to solve body stiffness problems.

Do you have any idea when this change was done?

Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
It is very rare to find a dealer car without tampered odo, get the service record from Mahindra for any car you consider. Over these Cartrade and Carwale listed cars you'll find genuine car on direct classifieds like OLX. Just do not buy a car in hurry.

Thanks for the feedback, i am already following your thread and it has helped to gain some confidence in the vehicle.
From what i saw most of the ads on Quikr/OLX are also dealers, will have to look more carefully.

Quote:
Hello, i currently own a 2012 XUV 500 W8, with ODO 76000kms,
the car still runs great without any major issues, but i advice you to go through the vehicle history before buying,for instance my vehicle as the complete service history easily available with my service centre and they even email the service history to the owner, so stick to individuals and do ask for the service history of the vehicle.

All the luck to you finding your dream ride.

Regards,
Tanveer.
Thanks, will ask for the complete service history before anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
I have recently put my own XUV AWD for sale - http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/XUV500.html/

If you are serious on a pre-owned XUV, we can meet up and discuss more
Ooops i believe the car has already been sold.
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Ooops i believe the car has already been sold.
No. Not sold. Had edited and added some more details so i guess the URL changed.
The car is visible in classifieds (under Delhi NCR)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks