Team-BHP - Buying a used Mahindra XUV500
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Buying a used Mahindra XUV500 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/151420-buying-used-mahindra-xuv500.html)

Hi BHPians,

I need your valuable guidance in buying a used XUV500. It is 2011 W8 variant that has clocked 76,000 kms. The car is currently with Mahindra First Choice dealer. I am assuming it will be with proper service records and history. The quoted price is 8 Lacs (negotiable on table).
I will go for the inspection of the vehicle this weekend.

Do you think it's decent deal? Will 76K reading on odo call for high maintenance costs?

Some background on my need and usage of this car:
I've six members in my family and want to upgrade to an SUV as second car for weekend travel. My existing car being my daily commuter. I don't have much budget and would like to keep it under 8 Lacs.

Best regards,
Puneet

Quote:

Originally Posted by puneetnay (Post 3442050)
Hi BHPians,

I need your valuable guidance in buying a used XUV500. It is 2011 W8 variant that has clocked 76,000 kms. The car is currently with Mahindra First Choice dealer. I am assuming it will be with proper service records and history. The quoted price is 8 Lacs (negotiable on table).
I will go for the inspection of the vehicle this weekend.

Do you think it's decent deal? Will 76K reading on odo call for high maintenance costs?

Some background on my need and usage of this car:
I've six members in my family and want to upgrade to an SUV as second car for weekend travel. My existing car being my daily commuter. I don't have much budget and would like to keep it under 8 Lacs.

Best regards,
Puneet

Do not trust these dealerships with your eyes closed especially Mahindra First choice dealers, they are known to hide facts and temper odo reading in majority of cases. See this old thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-trusted.html

Get detailed service records from any of the Mahindra service stations, they'll be happy to share it with you, carefully go through the records to check for consistency in kms covered.

Get the vehicle thoroughly checked for signs of accidental repair. If in doubt stay away, do not buy illogical excuses from seller.

76k kms is no very high mileage, but the maintenance cost will be higher compared to lower mileage vehicle. Check if scheduled services and replacements were carried out in time, if not you might have to spend a lot. All the best!

Puneet, i am in the same boat as you. We have a daily commute car already but need a used big car that will be used to take the 6 people together in comfort. We also saw couple XUVs but all in the 9 lac region. Saw couple of Arias also under 8.5 lacs. One example for just 7 lacs.

Innova is first choice of family but all are going above 10 lacs. Our preference is a 2010-2011 model upwards and only V variant in 8 seater form.

76k kms in 3 years? that is about 25k kms a year. That is some spirited driving mate. The fact that its a dealer and they have such high mileage car, If i were you I would have stayed away. Look for some known sources or individual owners with much lesser mileage. Just my 2 cents and I am no car expert. All the best.

Quote:

Hi BHPians,

I need your valuable guidance in buying a used XUV500. It is 2011 W8 variant that has clocked 76,000 kms...

Do you think it's decent deal?

Hi Puneet.

As Anshuman correctly pointed out, Mahindra First Choice are to be approached with serious caution. My major concerns are on two fronts: odo tampering and the presence of service records. Get the service records for the car first, the more detailed the better. It can help you verify the number of kilometers the car has logged too.

Check the car out thoroughly in person and stay focussed on getting the service records. It's the only genuine window into the car's past that you have. Remember, if you find something untoward later it might be an expensive proposition to fix. I'd approach this deal with caution, so be wary about everything. Good luck and keep us posted.

A 2011 build means it's from the first batch of XUV500s. Remember, as is mostly the case with Mahindras & Tatas, cars from the first 2 years of production have a lions share of the niggles. These are sorted along the way, usually based on owner's feedback. Take a look at this thread. The early adopters are lovingly called guinea pigs :)

Even if the odometer reading is genuine, 76000 kms is too high for a vehicle not known to be niggle-free. I wouldn't mind owning my own Mahindra with an odometer reading of 76K for another couple of years; however, I'd certainly not buy a Mahindra with someone else's 76K kms under its belt.

I'd highly recommend giving this one a miss. Either you look at newer & lower mileage XUV500s or better yet, just buy a brand new Ertiga to carry your family of 6 around.

I will not give above 6 Lac for the car you mentioned. 76 K is too much in 3 years. Must be used roughly. If you are getting at that price, then go for it keeping in mind that you have to spend few thousands in near future. Else I suggest to go for Ertiga Zxi which has all features and will be brand new. You can use it without any fuzz for years to come. Resale value you will get is also awesome.

I second what GTO has answered. Stay away from this XUV, even though those are genuine 76k kms, you still do not know where the car has gone and how it has been driven in its short 3 years of existence, plus there is also a question of why the vehicle was sold so early? If your budget is not more than 8 lakhs then I think you can look at Ertiga (new petrol) or even a Scorpio 7 seater (used).

I agree with points above. Back in 2011 when the initial set of XUV5oo bookings were made I was among the many who flocked to issue a booking cheque. The initial niggles made me rethink.

The thing is with 76000 kms (and assuming that is true) and the initial set of issues that XUV was released with I would hestitate to put my money on a second hand vehicle.

As GTO says with the same amount (or thereabouts) you can get a new vehicle and actually have 'peace of mind'.

And yes, I did give a new XUV of that time a miss and settled for a new Ertiga.

Cheers

Quote:

Hi BHPians,

I need your valuable guidance in buying a used XUV500.

Best regards,
Puneet

I see a lot of sense in what .anshuman, GTO and motomaverick have suggested...

1. Also try and negotoiate for 6.7 L and if there is an agreement, then there is a bigger possibility that there is something wrong with the car.
  2. Alternatively, call Mahindra First Choice as a seller and ask them how much they could offer for a good condition, 70K odo, 2011 W8 XUV. The figures will speak.

Thanks,
C_

Assuming this was a initial batch car, try to avoid them. And W8 should mean a ton of electrical gizmos! So search around a bit more. A 2005-2007 Innova at 7-9Lacs makes more sense and secure decision than a 1st batch XUV.

Regarding kms, a friends swift Ldi (2007 model) has done 2.7Lacs kms and starts and stops like a car got a few months ago. His partner/friend sold a 3L Kms Swift just because he got irritated looking at the same car for so many kms. These cars dont just break down, they just need a hug and jappi every 5K kms and they would return the favor...

Why don't you wait for a few months for the Mobilio. It is expected to be very spacious.

XUV doesnt really have stellar resale value and if your heart is set on it then you should be able to get a much lower run than this one for 8 lacs or less. For perspective, two months ago a Delhi registered 2012 XUV W8 with 24k on the odo was sold for 8.4 lacs. The car was absolutely scratchless and in excellent condition. BTW MFC had valued the same car at 8L when the owner called them for valuation :).

So in this case I am sure that these guys have paid a max of 6.5L for the vehicle in question.

Mobilio will be launched in July - i dont think it will be under 10L for the diesel with the airbags/ABS but might well be worth the stretch!
Brand new Ertiga or Mobilio would be first choices IMO.

I was in similar boat few months back and hopefully my experience would help you,

Points you would want to consider,

1. Check service history at Mahindra ASC they are happy to share details (At-Least for me it did)

2. Insist to dealer that you want to get the car checked at Mahindra ASC

3. XUV500 comes with 3 years unlimited warranty provided the service history is intact at Mahindra ASC so do check if the car is still in warranty

Usually I prefer to buy used cars which are 1-2 years old and less than 25K kms driven but that me...

In Mumbai you can get 2012 W8 4x4 models with odo ranging 30K kms - 50K kms in 9.80 L - 10.75 L

I bought 2012 W8 (Still in warranty :)) with just 20K kms on odo in similar price range and have been enjoying it for last 2 months.

Many users & experts on forum have commented on reliability & problems of XUV500 and specifically 2011 models so wont get into to details but would advise you to check if the car is still in warranty if not then hunt for early 2012 models which have service history & warranty intact.