Team-BHP - Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/151462-toyota-innova-unused-4-years-worth-considering-edit-walked-away.html)

Team, please pardon me if such thread already exists, but amongst all the threads in the Technical Section, I could not find any one relevant to post my query. Hence starting this new thread.

I have come across a used car for sale in my office. Need your expert opinion. My company is opening a bidding process for CLC cars, which are to be sold off to company employees. The car details are mentioned below:

Toyota Innova 2.5V(2007), Colour Silver, Version - Diesel
Pune registration
Odo reading not available
Lifetime Road Tax Paid
Insurance valid till 17-Nov-14
Minimum Acceptable Bid (hold your breath) Rs.2,85,000/-
Documents are available with the facilities dept, however RC card is unavailable

I would like to know from experienced forum members what is the max amount I should bid for this car. I know most of you would jump the gun and advise me to go for the car blind folded. However there is one caveat. This car has to be purchased on as-is where-is basis. I have seen this car lying around in the office parking at least for the last 4-5 years, standing in one position, totally unused all this while. It means this car has not been driven for such a long duration. What kind of technical challenges can be encountered in making this car roadworthy, up and running? Besides the regular replacements of tyres, battery, all fluids do you forsee any major replacement such as engine, transmission, clutch-gearbox, brake, steering, AC system etc?

I am ready to spend a maximum amount of 1 lacs, can stretch upto 2 lacs, with all the hassles, but the basic question is would this car be worth this exercise?

Prompt responses would be highly appreciated as the bidding starts from tomorrow.

Edit: If possible today I am going to take the keys of the car from facilities and inspect it inside out. Will post some pictures then. Also will come to know the exact running of the car. But if the battery is completely drained out, will the odo reading be still visible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3442838)
Team, please pardon me if such thread already exists, but amongst all the threads in the Technical Section, I could not find any one relevant to post my query. Hence starting this new thread.

I have come across a used car for sale in my office. Need your expert opinion. My company is opening a bidding process for CLC cars, which are to be sold off to company employees. The car details are mentioned below:

Pune registration
Odo reading not available
Lifetime Road Tax Paid
Insurance valid till 17-Nov-14
Minimum Acceptable Bid (hold your breath) Rs.2,85,000/-
Documents are available with the facilities dept, however RC card is unavailable

I would like to know from experienced forum members what is the max amount I should bid for this car. I know most of you would jump the gun and advise me to go for the car blind folded. However there is one caveat. This car has to be purchased on as-is where-is basis. I have seen this car lying around in the office parking at least for the last 4-5 years, standing in one position, totally unused all this while. It means this car has not been driven for such a long duration. What kind of technical challenges can be encountered in making this car roadworthy, up and running? Besides the regular replacements of tyres, battery, all fluids do you forsee any major replacement such as engine, transmission, clutch-gearbox, brake, steering, AC system etc?

I am ready to spend a maximum amount of 1 lacs, can stretch upto 2 lacs, with all the hassles, but the basic question is would this car be worth this exercise?

Prompt responses would be highly appreciated as the bidding starts from tomorrow.

Edit: If possible today I am going to take the keys of the car from facilities and inspect it inside out. Will post some pictures then. Also will come to know the exact running of the car. But if the battery is completely drained out, will the odo reading be still visible?

Was the car kept covered?If you meant by kept completely idle,means not moved an inch since 4-5 years?If this is the case,there's a lot to be seen into-rubber beadings,tyres,battery,fuel pump,not to mention the 5 year old fuel in the tank.As you are in Pune corrossion would be minimum.About the electricals-you will have to check of any wires cut due to rodents.Lots of stuff to be seen into.Better to get the car checked by a competent mechanic.
RC card,better check if the company can get a replacement one.I believe without the RC you cannot transfer it to your name.

Dear AI,

I would suggest you not to spend your money on a car that has been lying around for 4 years. The mechanicals of a car like to be running, and cars lying idle are perfect candidates for pre-mature failures. You may be able to inspect the bigger and major things like the engine, gearbox, battery, etc. but standing in the sun and without any maintenance, a lot of other parts like door seals, rubber gaskets inside the engine, tyres & tubes, pumps, and a lot of other parts which do not come to mind instantly would have suffered all this while. Slush formation in the engine, radiator, brake lining and other hydraulics can also not be ruled out. And then there is a high probability of rats chewing up wires, seats and carpets. Plus then there is the issue of corrosion, since the car was never cleaned/ washed all this while.

Please stay away from this car and look for other options, even if you have to spend a little more upfront. Be warned that even if you buy this car for the minimum bid value, you will still end up spending close to a lac, to bring this to normal running condition. That too, with a question mark on reliability. Take your call accordingly.

Regards,
Saket

PS: In fact, an absent RC card can alone be a reason not to consider this car.

Quote:

I think an additional 1 lakh won't suffice. If its standing there for so long it means it will require
-5 new tyres which will cost approx 30,000
-battery another 15,000(don't know the exact price).
-Changing all the lubes.
-Timing belt change.
-All the beadings
-All the filters like fuel filter,oil filter etc
If the car is standing in an open space factor in the rust due to rains. If you get a chance to inspect the car look for rust all over by removing the carpet and so on. If you find a lot of rust then run!

In my opinion stay away from such deals. Every thing comes at a price. Nothing is cheap. If you have the time and patients to completely restore the car then go ahead.

Depends on how many kms it has done till date and the reasons for which it has been lying unused
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/laying_up.html

If at all you decide to go ahead with your buy , I would suggest taking the car in a flat bed truck to the nearest dealership and get all the oils changed first before starting the car .

Brakes , tires ,wheels , suspension all consumables , electrical wiring , fuel line and all the parts ( doors , ..) that need regular lubrication would need a through inspection for sure

The battery would have conked off for sure

Also, considering that you are okay with spending 2 lac on repair & restoration, and again you are lucky enough to get on the lowest bid price, you are still spending about 5 lac on it. The money can buy you a brand new hatchback, if that satisfies your requirement, or a used Innova, in proper running condition is again not too far from this price point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakesh_r (Post 3442847)
RC card,better check if the company can get a replacement one.I believe without the RC you cannot transfer it to your name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3442850)
Dear AI,

I would suggest you not to spend your money on a car that has been lying around for 4 years.
PS: In fact, an absent RC card can alone be a reason not to consider this car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean5545 (Post 3442852)
I think an additional 1 lakh won't suffice. If its standing there for so long it means it will require

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya (Post 3442854)
Depends on how many kms it has done till date and the reasons for which it has been lying unused
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/laying_up.html

Hey guys, thanks a tonne for your prompt responses and valuable inputs. Let me go through them all one by one and I will share my thoughts.

I Would suggest you to look elsewhere, because firstly if you want to buy this car then you have to fight of your colleagues for the car meaning you have to shell out at-least 2 lakhs more than the reserve price. Secondly, you have mentioned the car has been lying idle for the past 4-5 years, now even though the Innova is the king of durability, you will have to shell out a lot on bringing the car back to good health. the list of things you have to change will be a lot like:
- Tyres
- All the various oils(engine,transmission, differential,etc)
- Clean the Interiors to get rid of all the musty smell
- Change a few rubber parts(Wipers,Beading,etc)
- New Battery
- Maybe a few fused bulbs
- Check the brakes
- Clean the fuel tank
- Sprucing the car with accessories
- Lastly, Waxing the car

After doing all this the car will be back to normal just like any other Toyota Innova on the road, But you would end up spending 5.5lac. Instead if you look around you can find well-maintained 2006-08 Innovas for anywhere between 6-8 lakhs.

I was thinking about this car as well ;) I am in the same company as you are ;)

I agree that a lot of things can go wrong in a car that is standing idle for four years and it would be almost impossible to check the car since the battery would certainly be dead. In such case it would be highly risky to put your bet on this car.

Secondly when a company car is left idle for such a long time I presume there may be some major fault and the huge cost estimate may have deterred the company to go ahead with the repairs, otherwise who would leave a three year old Innova to rot.

Quote:

@AutoIndian,
in this case you say that the RC card is not available. How does your company plan to take care of this shortcoming ?

Btw, if you take this vehicle, and then decide not to keep it, the taxi segment will happily take it from you :)

Quote:

The car details are mentioned below:

The car would have got registered or is it stored on the temporary plates? Even if your company is not able to give the RC etc, contact the RTO directly using the registration number and they should help you in procuring the necessary documents.

Quote:

I have seen this car lying around in the office parking at least for the last 4-5 years, standing in one position, totally unused all this while.

Toyota Innova bought by a company and not driven much?! what company is this and if it was not driven then why was it bought in the first place?

Was it used a show-piece?! :Frustrati

Quote:

Besides the regular replacements of tyres, battery, all fluids do you forsee any major replacement such as engine, transmission, clutch-gearbox, brake, steering, AC system etc?

I don't think serious damages happen in such cases. All you need to do is change ALL fluids, rubber seals, bushes, tyres, battery (depending on condition), wipers and beadings of the glass area.

Quote:

But if the battery is completely drained out, will the odo reading be still visible?

No, if the battery is dead the ignition will not work hence the MID, instrumentation console won't switch ON.

Anurag.

I won't get into the details, but covered or not, 4 years of unuse will result in well over 1.5 lakhs of expenditure. Not to mention the pain of new problems (old ones actually) surfacing every now and then. The sole charm of a Toyota will also be lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanksta (Post 3442865)
I Would suggest you to look elsewhere, because firstly if you want to buy this car then you have to fight of your colleagues for the car meaning you have to shell out at-least 2 lakhs more than the reserve price.

I don't think anyone will bid that high looking at the car condition. In fact my guesstimate is that for the past several auctions this car would not found any takers, hence the abysmally low minimum bidding amount.

Quote:

After doing all this the car will be back to normal just like any other Toyota Innova on the road, But you would end up spending 5.5lac. Instead if you look around you can find well-maintained 2006-08 Innovas for anywhere between 6-8 lakhs.
Point well taken. I already have an offer on plate. Oct-2011, V model, 7 seater, @ 55K running, will be on offer in Oct-2014. Asking price about 8.5 lacs. That too is very tempting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3442866)
I was thinking about this car as well ;) I am in the same company as you are ;)

Samepinch. Will catch up with you privately :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3442871)
Secondly when a company car is left idle for such a long time I presume there may be some major fault and the huge cost estimate may have deterred the company to go ahead with the repairs, otherwise who would leave a three year old Innova to rot.

My assumption here is that the buyer (lease taker) of this car might have traveled abroad, leaving the car parked in office premises. Anyways will get that clarity from the Facilities dept. However can't rule out your thought of the car itself being faulty, hence company not being successful in getting rid of it in a timely manner, quite possible

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 3442932)
@AutoIndian,
in this case you say that the RC card is not available. How does your company plan to take care of this shortcoming ?

Company has clarified their stand by saying that I will have to apply for a duplicate R C smart card and get the ownership transferred on my name.

Quote:

Btw, if you take this vehicle, and then decide not to keep it, the taxi segment will happily take it from you :)
agree:Yes, that is the silver lining of this otherwise clumsy deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3442969)
Toyota Innova bought by a company and not driven much?! what company is this and if it was not driven then why was it bought in the first place?

Was it used a show-piece?! :Frustrati.

Hmmn, some food for thought. When Innova is such a fast moving car, how did the owner or the company were just sitting tight with the car parked for so long being unused, when it is highly in demand outside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 3442973)
I won't get into the details, but covered or not, 4 years of unuse will result in well over 1.5 lakhs of expenditure. Not to mention the pain of new problems (old ones actually) surfacing every now and then. The sole charm of a Toyota will also be lost.

I agree. I will always have to live in the fear that something or the other might fail. If that fear becomes too unbearable, then I will dispose it off, but if the car proves worth the money, then I can happily live with it, till the time it falls apart.

If you know a good garage, pref non authorised you can take it.
you have to get
1. New Fuel tank
2. New fuel lines (Fuel return line etc.,) whatever is made of rubber
3. change all fluids and all filters
4. Change all belts.
5. Possible bearing change too

If you buy it do not start it, put it on a flatbed, take to workshop. Change all fluids and belts and then start the vehicle.