Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2016, 14:11   #136
BHPian

Geely Emgrand X7 Sport - Worth buying?

Posting this on behalf of a friend living in Dubai.

He's looking for a 4WD SUV.
He finds the Geely Emgrand X7 Sport to be good value for money, with the top-end variant selling for 75K AED.
http://geely.ae/en/car-models/9/emgrand-x7-sport

Is the Geely a good buy?
Any T-bhp members in Dubai with any inputs?
Old 30th December 2016, 14:23   #137
BHPian

Having worked in Oman in the automobile sector for 11 years, I have found many an expatriates (Indian, Pakistani, Nepali and Sri Lanka) falling prey to Chinese car brands due to the mouth watering ex showroom price, only to realize after one and half to two years the car is falling apart. One would not even find a buyer for Chinese automobile brands if one would like to dispose it off.

If budget is a constraint, go in for Korean brands (Hyundai / Kia), you shall be in much safer hands, add to that they are easy to dispose off.

With 75K AED, he could go in for brands like Hyundai / Kia / Mazda / Suzuki and in case he would like a saloon, nothing like Nissan / Toyota in the Middle East - good service back up, great resale value

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 30th December 2016 at 15:12. Reason: merging back to back posts
ALTIMAed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 17:06   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Geely Emgrand X7 Sport - Worth buying?

Give the Chinese a wide berth regarding cars.

Don't have anything more to say than what @ALTIMAed had already said.

Since he is looking from a purely VFM point of view, please suggest him to go the used car route or if new, a Japanese or Korean brand.
If it was an enthusiast car choice, could have understood the emotional decision. But in this case he is looking for maximum bang for the buck.

The most important thing to consider buying a car in the Middle East is the resale value and spare parts availability.

If he wants to throw away 75k AED and enjoy a car for an year or two. Fine, go for the Geely.
But then, there is a huge used car market there with way better cars.

Or if he is looking to really save money, go for Toyota, Honda or Nissan. And if the price points are too high, check out Hyundai/Kia offerings, they have amazing discounts and warranty though the aftermarket support is greater for the Japanese.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 18:44   #139
BHPian

Re: Buying a Car in the Middle East

I was at Oman from 2005 till 2016. A small eye opener as to country of manufacture of a particular model.

The Nissan Sunny used to be manufactured at Japan and was in direct competition with the Toyota Corolla. The brand had a strong recall value and customers always considered it within that particular price band.

In 2009, the Sunny ceased production at Japan and instead came from South Korea. Sales just dropped. Customers would just turn their heads away when they were told that the new Sunny is made in Korea. All of a sudden, the Sunny dropped into the category of a Hyundai / Kia. Even though it was priced well, Corolla customers stopped considering the Sunny.

In 2012 (if i remember correctly), the Sunny started coming from India - thats when the Sunny took a major beating in sales. The nationals just could not see themselves driving a 'Made in India', Indians too shunned the Sunny as it was available in India. It was a hard time to sell the Sunny. As a brand, Sunny lost the brand recall and emotion value once the production shifted out of Japan.

If this can happen to the Sunny, which is a Nissan brand, one can well imagine how Chinese brands would fare in the Middle East.
ALTIMAed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 23:21   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
......If this can happen to the Sunny, which is a Nissan brand, one can well imagine how Chinese brands would fare in the Middle East.
True that.

They are quite finicky on the "Made in" tag. All their websites list where the cars have been made in, and in the Toyota Saudi website, they even list where the accessories are being made.

Though not as harsh as your example, the brand value of Toyota and Hondas did take a slight beating in Saudi Arabia, when word spread that the slew of cheaper models were not Made in Japan, but in Thailand and Taiwan. I know personally a couple of buyers who bought a Hyundai stating that its at least Made in South Korea, compared to the non Japanese Toyotas (though that hasn't stopped Corollas and Hiluxes to remain top sellers)

Another thing that I have noticed are the window stickers that are kept on cars Made in USA and Japan, even after 5 years, but all others are peeled off right from the showroom.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 00:47   #141
BHPian

Re: Geely Emgrand X7 Sport - Worth buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
Posting this on behalf of a friend living in Dubai.

He's looking for a 4WD SUV.
He finds the Geely Emgrand X7 Sport to be good value for money, with the top-end variant selling for 75K AED.
http://geely.ae/en/car-models/9/emgrand-x7-sport

Is the Geely a good buy?
Any T-bhp members in Dubai with any inputs?
As our fellow BHPians have commented, please stay away from Chinese brands. I lived in Dubai for about 7 years and the automotive market there is really flooded with many options.
Is he looking for a 4WD just for road presence or actual usage (desert driving, etc)?
He should look at the trusted pre-owned market too if the budget is restricted at AED 75K. Prado would be a good option (service back-up used to be excellent, my Fortuner at 175k was in pristine condition when I left the country).
In case he needs new then Hyundai (Santa Fe) and Kia (Sorento) are good options too.
v1kram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 18:54   #142
BHPian

Have to decide between a couple of cars, namely the 2013 Kia Sorento and the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder in Kuwait.

Any idea on the reliability, performance or in general long term ownership review?
Old 11th February 2018, 09:17   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Have to decide between a couple of cars, namely the 2013 Kia Sorento and the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder in Kuwait.

Any idea on the reliability, performance or in general long term ownership review?
I assume the Pathfinder is CVT, in that case it's better to stay away since the CVT's of those era from Nissan had some reliability issues.

Sorento is a good buy considering you don't drive too much, especially if it's a well maintained low/average run vehicle.

Pathfinder has a usable third row, if you need a 7 seater.
Old 6th August 2020, 17:21   #144

I have a budget of 50K AED at Dubai. Looking for a used car or SUV which should be a drivers delight. I particularly dont like CVTs which forces me to stay away from Japanese Trio of Honda Nissan and Toyota. How Good is Mazdas. I drive an punto back in india hence i cant settle for vague steering's
Old 7th August 2020, 18:34   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd595 View Post
I have a budget of 50K AED at Dubai. Looking for a used car or SUV which should be a drivers delight. I particularly dont like CVTs which forces me to stay away from Japanese Trio of Honda Nissan and Toyota. How Good is Mazdas. I drive an punto back in india hence i cant settle for vague steering's
I currently live in Muscat Oman and own Mazda CX9 2014 model. Its an absolute joy to drive. 3.8 V6 290 bhp on tap is an absolute joy on the wide open highways. This car has been ever reliable (touch wood) and I have driven the length and breadth of the country and multiple times to UAE from Muscat. Total reliability and easy maintenance.

Service and maintenance cost has been average and not many spare are replaced. only regular oil / oil filters/ AC filters / battery / tyres etc.

I have been told that water pump, oil pump, window motors keep failing in Mazdas, but my experience has been good with them.

in 2017, I had hit a tall pavement hard and hence wheels started making booming sound. I voluntarily replaced both front and back bearings etc.
Else been a good experience with Mazda.

Plan for a new CX9 or CX5 and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I have owned Toyota Prado, Camry/ Nissan Altima / GMC Yukon/ Kia Rio etc in my long stay in ME and Mazda has been good to me.
arunu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 00:25   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
I currently live in Muscat Oman and own Mazda CX9 2014 model. Its an absolute joy to drive. 3.8 V6 290 bhp on tap is an absolute joy on the wide open highways. This car has been ever reliable (touch wood) and I have driven the length and breadth of the country and multiple times to UAE from Muscat. Total reliability and easy maintenance.

Service and maintenance cost has been average and not many spare are replaced. only regular oil / oil filters/ AC filters / battery / tyres etc.

I have been told that water pump, oil pump, window motors keep failing in Mazdas, but my experience has been good with them.

in 2017, I had hit a tall pavement hard and hence wheels started making booming sound. I voluntarily replaced both front and back bearings etc.
Else been a good experience with Mazda.

Plan for a new CX9 or CX5 and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I have owned Toyota Prado, Camry/ Nissan Altima / GMC Yukon/ Kia Rio etc in my long stay in ME and Mazda has been good to me.
Thank you for your detailed input . You have covered almost every aspects. Mazda CX9 is definitely in my list.
Old 24th December 2022, 19:52   #147
BHPian

A friend needs to buy a used Civic in Dubai. Any pointers on how to go about the search and find a suitably priced example would be big help.

There are many websites/apps (Dubbizle etc) available apart from Facebook Marketplace. A good advice would certainly help clear the clutter and put energy in the right direction.
Old 28th December 2022, 12:33   #148
BHPian

In the Middle East, Toyota and Nissan have strong resale value. The model will be personal preference and budget driven. But I recommend sticking to these 2 reliable brands. If you’re looking luxury, then Lexus or Infiniti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks