Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2013, 22:58   #61
BHPian

Ford Mustang or a Range Rover ?

Flashback: Last time it was in Hong Kong where I regretted my decision of not importing a 5 series back to India. I work with a logistics company so the transportation was taken care of (free). Also a childhood friends father is in the Customs so the import procedure has been taken of. No need to bribe officials and a clean entry of the car via Chennai. And the price ? A princely sum of 200,000. Well long story short, I never bought the car and till today regret the decision.

So after 5 years I get the option of another expatriation. This time to Dubai. And the car options on Dubizzle.com are amazing.

My budget is upto a maximum of AED 100,000 (15 lacs).

Range Rover INR 800,000
http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/use...MvP3BhZ2U9MTA=

Ford Mustang INR 800,000
http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/use...x0ZT0%3D&pos=5

So I have a few years to enjoy my car in Dubai and there is a wide variety to choose from. Am sure you all can understand being like a kid with the entire store to choose from

Any comments/ suggestions/ advise will be much appreciated. Any other cars you can recommend ?
Old 27th May 2013, 00:50   #62
BHPian

I've always thought there was a restriction on importing newer cars into India. Could you clarify that please
And since you have a 15 lakh budget, why not bring both?
You don't have to choose that way, and you have a great SUV and even better muscle car as your daily rides!

Last edited by AbelAFC : 27th May 2013 at 00:52.
Old 27th May 2013, 07:15   #63
BHPian

Re: Ford Mustang or a Range Rover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I've always thought there was a restriction on importing newer cars into India. Could you clarify that please
And since you have a 15 lakh budget, why not bring both?
You don't have to choose that way, and you have a great SUV and even better muscle car as your daily rides!
Am not talking about importing them (yet) to India.

So I will be headed to Dubai and be expatriated there for the next 3 years.

The car options (mustang / range rover) are what I can buy and drive in Dubai during my stay there.
Old 27th May 2013, 08:02   #64
BHPian

Range Rover will be a better vehicle than Mustang any day. You can take Range Rover to sands or any other extreme terrain but not the Mustang. Also RR will be immensely more comfortable
Old 27th May 2013, 11:55   #65
BHPian

I don't know anything about both cars so can't help you but...

Quote:
You can take Range Rover to sands or any other extreme terrain but not the Mustang.
What I am going to tell you now is stupid but the above quote reminded me of driving Mustang in a COMPUTER GAME. And I NEVER like how that car drive. I found it difficult to control. IMO, it's a bad car to drive... in that computer game... don't know how it feels to drive in real.

BTW, if you are planning to import your car in India (after 3 years) then keep few points in mind so you won't regrett decision of importing it.

- Import duty
- ground clearance of the car. we have speed breakers built for tanks
- service and parts availability
Old 27th May 2013, 19:23   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Flashbac.......

So after 5 years I get the .option of another expatriation. This time to Dubai. And the car options on Dubizzle.com are amazing. ...

My budget is upto a maximum of AED 100,000 (15 lacs).
Any comments/ suggestions/ advise will be much appreciated. Any other cars you can recommend ?
Don't think so. It would have worked in Hong Kong, but not in Dubai IIMR.
Whether new or old ,only RHD can be imported, so Dubai cars are out of question, unless you find a way to convert it into RHD in Dubai itself.
Old 28th May 2013, 17:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Don't think so. It would have worked in Hong Kong, but not in Dubai IIMR.
Whether new or old ,only RHD can be imported, so Dubai cars are out of question, unless you find a way to convert it into RHD in Dubai itself.
Thanks for that. Though importing the car will be at a later stage.

As of now am just trying to figure out the best car my money can buy !

Any suggestions are welcome. Camaro / X5 ?
Old 21st August 2013, 17:48   #68
BHPian

Quote:
As of now am just trying to figure out the best car my money can buy!

You can get a pretty good value from a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. The Nissan Altima is a good value (AED.80-120k for a CVT with a 2.5/3.5L engine), and a close second is the Honda Accord (AED.85-140k for a 2.4/3.5L engine, with the higher variant including a 6-speed automatic). If you want an SUV, Toyota's LandCruiser Prado (AED.140-220k depending on the choice of engine) is the choice of most folk here.

The Mazda 6, which is considered a low brand-value, offers a 6-speed automatic mated to a 2.5L engine for AED.83-110k. The Renault Megane convertible is available for about AED.120k.
Old 24th August 2013, 22:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that. Though importing the car will be at a later stage.

As of now am just trying to figure out the best car my money can buy !

Dubai is car buyer's paradise. You can really live your wild dreams of owning your dream car here.

If you are single and earn a decent package and are not here to save money, then I would say Camaro is the one for you, RR is certainly not your car compared to Camaro!

Test drives are easily available here so make the best use of them before signing the cheques.

Mustang 5.0 is also not bad at all as a second option to Camaro.

Forget the Japanese cars, you can buy them in India. One buys a Japanese cars for good resale value and to be easy on the pocket and to save money and send back home.

Call me when you are in Dubai, may be I can get you a good deal on the Camaro.

LHD cars are banned as imports into India, Kabisa.

Last edited by Parm : 24th August 2013 at 22:05.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 03:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Dubai is car buyer's paradise. You can really live your wild dreams of owning your dream car here. If you are single and earn a decent package and are not here to save money, then I would say Camaro is the one for you, RR is certainly not your car compared to Camaro! Test drives are easily available here so make the best use of them before signing the cheques. Mustang 5.0 is also not bad at all as a second option to Camaro. Forget the Japanese cars, you can buy them in India. One buys a Japanese cars for good resale value and to be easy on the pocket and to save money and send back home. Call me when you are in Dubai, may be I can get you a good deal on the Camaro. LHD cars are banned as imports into India, Kabisa.
Ended up buying the range rover 4.4 liter. Not a slouch by any standards ! Averages 5.4 kms to the liter, but who is counting

You are right.. No Japanese cars for now. Next up the Mustang 5.0
Saptarshi B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 01:00   #71
BHPian

Guys help to decide4X4 in dubai

Hi guys,
After a really long time I am to post something for which I would surely need all your expert advice.
Basically I have shifted to Dubai and with all eagerness looking to buy some 4WD here. My considerations would be the budget,safety,space,off road capability,hassle free maintenance and good resale.
I was initially looking to by a second hand range rover which would have run lot of miles but I am not sure whether I should. I don’t know about the maintenance particularly being an old vehicle.
I was trying to figure between options such as Toyota Land cruiser Prado, Sequoia , Jeep grand Cheroke, Dodge Durango , GMC Acadia or Volkswagen tiguan or any other good 4WD.
Would seriously need your suggestions to go for a new one and also any place wherein I can get a good second hand ( al futtaim etc ) . All suggestions are utmost welcome. Thanks in advance
Old 21st February 2014, 11:13   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Guys help to decide4X4 in dubai

I'd suggest you add the FJ Cruiser to your list.

Get in touch with some local offroad groups in UAE (like Abu Dhabi 4x4) via FB. Ask around there, because being locals they would give you better advice according to local conditions.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 13:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'd suggest you add the FJ Cruiser to your list.

Get in touch with some local offroad groups in UAE (like Abu Dhabi 4x4) via FB. Ask around there, because being locals they would give you better advice according to local conditions.
Hey tejas, thanks but fj cruiser is space cramped I feel. And the only intent is not for off-road. I have my wife and one half year old kid. Out forum has experts who can recommend spot on. Thanks again tejas.
Old 21st February 2014, 13:53   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Then go for the Toyota LC. Locals love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Romeo View Post
Out forum has experts who can recommend spot on.
I'm sure they'll recommend better than the locals in UAE. All the best.
Old 21st February 2014, 15:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Prado mid option, I would strongly recommend to you.

Forget used 4WDs like the RR. If you are not in the OTR scene, then you can think about the GMC, JEEP, DODGE or VW.

Its a very versatile vehicle and very capable off road. it comes with a decent 6 cylinder engine and is same as the FJ. 4.0L, V6, 5A/T, Dual VVT-I with 271HP.

There is a promotion going on at the moment with Al Futtaim motors on the 4x4 vehicles.

If you want, I can give a sales guy's number, you can give my reference to him.

regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Car in the Middle East-q1tacticalspecialoffersanden.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks