Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2006, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Buying a Car in the Middle East

Hey folks,

I would soon be moving to the middle east on an assignment. Have made a vist there and was checking out the car options. Am clear that I would be going in for an SUV. Have kinda zeroed in on the prado and the pajero. Need some expert opinion on the final choice..

cheers
Old 18th July 2006, 11:32   #2
BHPian

Hey Viv.. Congrats on your move to the MidEast.

Nice choices in cars too. You didn't mention if you are looking at buying new or used cars. Both the cars you have shortlisted have a healthy reputation for among the highest resale values in the market. Of course, anything Toyota here has fab resale value. From what I know, the Pajero tends to drop in value quicker than the Prado.

The new (& old) Prado and Pajero are also available in LWB and SWB,this should also be a consideration, based on your needs like family size, frequency of travel etc, traffic conditions, parking. If your move is to Dubai, double the seriousness when you consider these.

Technically, both vehicles have proven themselves and even the engines are trustworthy. The engine options in the Pajero are a 3.0L or 3.8L 6cyl, while the Prado can be had with a 2.7L 4cyl or a 4.0L 6cyl.

If you're moving to the UAE, there are some excellent offroading clubs here, and they can give you a good initiative into the sand. See www.dubai4x4.com or www.abudhabi4x4.com (Mods, I hope its ok to plug a non-competitive forum)

Ultimately, if you're moving here alone, and really wanna do some serious offroading, get a Jeep! Nothing like the thrill of a Wrangler. But to be honest, have also seen the SWB Pajero do stuff almost as much as the Wrangler can.

But that means a complete sacrifice of all creature-comforts. Drop me a PM if you're moving to UAE, we should meet up and do a TBHP coffee/beer here.

All the best..
avkurian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2006, 13:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pick up the new Chevrolet Tahoe, the Z71 version which has a "special offroad suspension".

345 bhp, 480 nm. Four Wheel Drive. Go anywhere you want in total comfort.

EDIT: Did I mention cheaper than the Landcruiser / Patrol, and just slightly costlier than the Prado. 6 kmpl, though.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th July 2006 at 13:45.
Old 18th July 2006, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Not really sure on the amount of off roading that I would do... so while I would go in for 4wd , excellent off roading capabilities are not high on my priorities...

And some how have built a mental aversion to American cars... no real reason for the same tho'...

What is the take on the Lexus hybrid? the base version is around the same range as the high end prado..

I also have come across a second hand, 9000 kms driven, ML 55 AMG for around 50% its price... inspite of this the price is considerably higher than the high end prado and a quite a lil above my budget.. but surely would be interested in your views on the machine!!
cheers

Last edited by vivaid : 18th July 2006 at 14:33.
Old 18th July 2006, 14:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
6 kmpl, though.
Steer, mileage / average worries are for lesser mortals like us (those in India). Not for you guys in the middle east where gas is pretty cheap.
Old 18th July 2006, 14:43   #6
BHPian

when off roading is not the game its better to go for a nice car main reason is the 4x4's or suvs turtle too fast on corners. think for safety as u would want to return back to motherland in 1 peice. the sole purpose of usage is not very clear.
Old 18th July 2006, 15:00   #7
BHPian

logic or thought behind an SUV is quite clear:
- always wanted to own an SUV for the sheer road presence, drive etc, etc..
- the country has the highest accident rate. So while i may do some great deal of defensive driving, cant really predict the other crazy drivers actions... a good, large SUV would atleast provide that additional bit of safety in the event of a crash...
- and yes.. the off-roading experience in due course of time...

cheers....
Old 18th July 2006, 18:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

An suv is not always safer than a car ..
It depends on various factors .
Search around there was a thread regarding this ..
Old 18th July 2006, 18:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid
I also have come across a second hand, 9000 kms driven, ML 55 AMG for around 50% its price... inspite of this the price is considerably higher than the high end prado and a quite a lil above my budget.. but surely would be interested in your views on the machine!!
cheers
Vivaid - The ML55 you are referring to is I am assuming the last generation version and hence is very cheap. If it is the last generation model then I would advise you to stay away from one as these have been known to be having very poor build quality and have had numerous known quality issues the world over. This was one of the first cars whose quality got effected very seriously due to a change in Merc's policies. And of course the repairs are going to be frightfully expensive!

What the Prado is going to offer you is rock solid reliability and dependability while maintaining affordable maintenance costs. This you will not find in the ML. I would seriously ask you to steer away from it.

Why don't you look at a decent used Range Rover? There are plenty of these in the Middle East and post takeover of Rover by BMW the quality has also improved by leaps & bounds. Or you could consider a good second-hand BMW X5 4.4/4.6/4.8 they are really good & relatively sporty to drive too!
Old 18th July 2006, 19:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

On my trip to Dubai, All I saw around was landcruisers.

Even my desert Safari trip was in a land cruiser and boy was it capable.

On my experience I would say Prado. But Pajero is equally good.
Old 18th July 2006, 19:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Why don't you look at a decent used Range Rover? There are plenty of these in the Middle East and post takeover of Rover by BMW the quality has also improved by leaps & bounds.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/761794.stm

This happened in the year 2000.
Old 18th July 2006, 19:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/761794.stm

This happened in the year 2000.
Oh yeah forgot about that but the real quality improvement from Rover days was brought on after the BMW takeover.
Old 19th July 2006, 11:36   #13
BHPian

Thanx guys.. whats your take on the Lexus RX 350?
Old 19th July 2006, 12:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why not a Lexus SUV. Or better still a Cadillac Escalade??
Wonder how much the latter would cost there..
Old 19th July 2006, 12:46   #15
BHPian

the cadillac escalade is i think for apprx 40 lakhs (converted INR)

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks