Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 22:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bolero Plus: Budget proposition for a large family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I do agree that Bolero XL is way too spartan than Tavera LS. Its wrong to have suggest thae XL in the first place. My crude tasted are intercepting my reasoning! The folks are having Bolero ZLX in mind.
As i said, the ZLX/SLX/SLE versions of Bolero can seat only 5. The rear jump seats are a joke; even children cannot be seated comfortably there because of the literal jumping. The only time when i found a superb ride is when it was loaded with 2 x 50 kg fertilizer bag in the rear.

Rural folks are reporting a FE around 15 kmpl in the Bolero; perhaps a prominent advantage against Tavera. Other positives include a)reliability owing to simple mechanicals, though the BS-IV engine has seen sensors failing often b) Bolero holds better resale c) Mahindra- easy spares/maintenance.

PS: i have driven/maintained both these vehicles extensively for several thousand kms.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 11:13   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So they need a 6-seater, 7 at best. Its sales success notwithstanding, the Bolero is too crude, outdated & unsafe for me to make a recommendation.

I'd highly recommend the following options:

1. Maruti Ertiga (or you can wait for the Mobilio): While these aren't full-time 7 seaters, they must make it to the shortlist if the 6 / 7 occupants include kids. Yep, for long distances, this backseat is good for children only. The Ertiga offers Maruti's fuss-free ownership experience and is incredibly car-like to drive. Neat interiors, ride and handling.

2. Nissan Evalia: Excellent people mover. Spacious, well-priced, Japanese reliability, fuel-efficient.

3. You might also want to check out the Tata Sumo Grande & Mahindra Xylo if you're looking at a big, tough body-on-frame UV. Between these two, my pick is the Grande. Surprisingly reliable (for a Tata), spacious interiors, nice engine, far better ride quality than the Xylo.
1 - Ertiga and Enjoy are splendid choices for large families, especially the ones having five or six members. I checked Ertiga out with a friend and was impressed by the space on offer. The FE people are getting is also very tempting. But their trade off is in the build. Though we treat the car like a jewel, bumps have been inevitable. Their Santro is in much worse shape than my battle scarred Indica because of this feebleness.I think that the replacement should be a little sturdier than Ertiga.
2 Nissan Evalia and AL style do deserve better consideration than they get but the folks strangely feel that they should be priced lesser to be in their consideration.
3 Xylo and Movus are good rough and ready options but the family has owned petrol machines till date and they feel that the maintenance cost might be unduely night. In addition to all this the notion that these are unsteady while cornering unsettled their chances. Yes that's true in the case of bolero too but we are clearly confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
My Vote again goes for TATA SUMO Grande. The vehicle has outstanding comfort, space and cheap to maintain. Reliability is good and has ample space for a big family.

The suspension and the space and a more than decent engine are its strong points. Being TATA Spares are easy and cheap to come and it has robust underpinnings being a body on ladder design.

PS: I own a TATA car and have nothing much to complain about reliability or service issues.
TATA Movus is nice alternative to Bolero. But people are baulking at the perceived higher cost of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
I would second GTO on this. You must check out the Maruti Ertiga. A friend of mine has it and it is a trouble free vehicle and is comfortable to drive both in the city as well as highways. Only thing is the last two seats might not suit adults.
You can ask them to take a look at Mahindra Quanto as well. I have test driven it , its comfortable to drive though minor issues are being reported by the owners.
Quanto is still in the contention because of the compactness. Can you hazard a guess on the comfort or lack of it in the rear seats. Especially the jump seats, Because it will be a deciding factor. How better is the fuel efficiency compared to quanto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Also look at Tata winger, it is a good 10 seater.
Good vehicle but considered too big at par with the traveller, the parking is a little big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Why not a pre-owned and certified Innova ?
Second hand options are not in the contention because of the long span of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
As i said, the ZLX/SLX/SLE versions of Bolero can seat only 5. The rear jump seats are a joke; even children cannot be seated comfortably there because of the literal jumping. The only time when i found a superb ride is when it was loaded with 2 x 50 kg fertilizer bag in the rear.

Rural folks are reporting a FE around 15 kmpl in the Bolero; perhaps a prominent advantage against Tavera. Other positives include a)reliability owing to simple mechanicals, though the BS-IV engine has seen sensors failing often b) Bolero holds better resale c) Mahindra- easy spares/maintenance.

PS: i have driven/maintained both these vehicles extensively for several thousand kms.
That mileage is tempting, is it really so? How bad is the Tavera when compared to the the Bolero.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 13:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:

TATA Movus is nice alternative to Bolero.
I test drove the Movus as the sales executive was raving about the vehicle performance and I was surprised by the refinement of the engine ,the lightness of the clutch and steering. The NVH levels were good with hardly any road noise and the engine was free revving touching 120 kmph with ease. The best part was it was masking those speeds well. I was not happy with braking on stock tyres. The interior plastic quality was good better than any other vehicle in its class. As far as maintainence the Movus has latest clutch called SAC which has a longer life without getting harder as when the kilometres pile up as per SA. TATA AMC are very cost effective too.There is even an option of captain seats too.
If you are comfortable with the locall TASS then this will be a VFM people carrier option at 7.35lac ex showroom.

Last edited by damodar : 29th June 2014 at 13:11.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 13:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Second hand options are not in the contention because of the long span of ownership.
Don't discount the Innova on that front atleast. For your budget you can easily find a vehicle run around 50k kms. And for Innova that is nothing. It can go on and on and would not give you any reason to complain. The maintenance is also pretty cheap on the pocket specially since you can even get the servicing done outside owing to the large number of Innovas in the market specially the taxi segment.

Other than that I would urge you to check out the Enjoy. It really appealed to me as a capable cheaper alternative to the Innova.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 23:10   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Don't discount the Innova on that front atleast. For your budget you can easily find a vehicle run around 50k kms. And for Innova that is nothing. It can go on and on and would not give you any reason to complain. The maintenance is also pretty cheap on the pocket specially since you can even get the servicing done outside owing to the large number of Innovas in the market specially the taxi segment.

Other than that I would urge you to check out the Enjoy. It really appealed to me as a capable cheaper alternative to the Innova.
I do agree with the might of the beast. But it is practically impossible to find one priced at a distance from the on-road price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I test drove the Movus as the sales executive was raving about the vehicle performance and I was surprised by the refinement of the engine ,the lightness of the clutch and steering. The NVH levels were good with hardly any road noise and the engine was free revving touching 120 kmph with ease. The best part was it was masking those speeds well. I was not happy with braking on stock tyres. The interior plastic quality was good better than any other vehicle in its class. As far as maintainence the Movus has latest clutch called SAC which has a longer life without getting harder as when the kilometres pile up as per SA. TATA AMC are very cost effective too.There is even an option of captain seats too.
If you are comfortable with the locall TASS then this will be a VFM people carrier option at 7.35lac ex showroom.
Thank you very much for this bit. It really is helpful in the decision.
Old 5th July 2014, 15:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
But why do you have to justify it? There are multiple threads/owners & cars on Team-BHP to have an opinion about a manufacturer's positive & negative aspects.

And I don't think I need to drag this further
I think it was required because of the more than required negative opinion spread by word of mouth in general public. So most family people do not even think of TATA as an option.

I also have a opinion that Team-bhpian's by virtue of their passion for automobiles and team-bhp reading at least give a thought to TATA as an option.

Rest general people who are not Automobile enthusiasts hardly take TATA as an option.
Sorry for being

If any further discussion on this topic we can take it offline.

But I would again vouch for the comfort and space of a Tata Sumo Grande or now called Tata Movus.
Old 5th July 2014, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quanto rear jump seats area joke. Not even a lanky teenager can fit into it without his head touching the top of the rear door. If they don't like van looks, Tata Sumo Gold or Movus are what they should consider.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 08:40   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I think it was required because of the more than required negative opinion spread by word of mouth in general public. So most family people do not even think of TATA as an option.

I also have a opinion that Team-bhpian's by virtue of their passion for automobiles and team-bhp reading at least give a thought to TATA as an option.

Rest general people who are not Automobile enthusiasts hardly take TATA as an option.
Sorry for being

If any further discussion on this topic we can take it offline.

But I would again vouch for the comfort and space of a Tata Sumo Grande or now called Tata Movus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Quanto rear jump seats area joke. Not even a lanky teenager can fit into it without his head touching the top of the rear door. If they don't like van looks, Tata Sumo Gold or Movus are what they should consider.
Thank you all for your vauable opinion. I have conveyed your opinion and am waiting for them to coast to a conclusion. ilI will post the result of their conclusion here in a couple of months.
Old 21st September 2015, 20:10   #24
BHPian

Mini van or Bolero or something else ??

Hi guys,

I have a need to make a choice between buying a mini van vs Indica or a jeep equivalent like Bolero.
  1. Runs approximately 100kms per day - every day - so 3000kms assured.
    Mileage is a priority but overall cost of ownership is the key factor.
    Will be used for local travel other than pick and drop hence quality of the vehicle is also an important thing.
    Rugged for Indian roads - this is where I am thinking of Bolero as it might be easy to service and give trouble free service for 5 years or plus.
    Should be a safe vehicle - our existing Omnis have toppled at least twice.

Suggestions pls ? I am not getting any further parameters to include here.
Old 21st September 2015, 20:21   #25
BHPian

Maybe also look at sumo gold, I think this is a forgotten vehicle but was a recent favorite for office cabs in noida
Dan9ie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 20:35   #26
BHPian

Re: Mini van or Bolero or something else ??

Looking at the daily running you have mentioned, comfort also should be given equal importance. I really do not think Bolero will be a comfortable machine to lug around all those kilometers on a daily basis.

My suggestion would be to look at a used Innova, might work out a little expensive, but will prove to be a comfortable workhorse.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:19   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
mini van vs Indica or a jeep equivalent like Bolero.
I am not getting any further parameters to include here.
All 3 were different segments. Seating capacity & Budget should give some idea of your exact requirement.

Out of the 3 choices you mentioned, Bolero seem to be a better choice, you may also consider Sumo / Tavera
Old 21st September 2015, 22:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

What is the seating capacity you are looking at?
What is the cost range you are looking at?

Do you need a MPV or 4 person carrier as it open various other segments when you know the capacity.

Coming from Omni, even a indica is 200% safer than the designed to kill Omni.

An used Scorpio can serve all the factors and still cheaper to maintain but rugged and can be driven in almost all conditions.

If cost is not an issue think about Innova. Though costly its the best MPV.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 23:11   #29
BHPian

Cost is definitely a factor - max people capacity (6 to 8 person ) at a cost below 8 lacs . But reliable for a good 300k or more. Not a 4 person carrier. This is a company buy on finance hence used car is ruled out due to high interest and high down payment. Diesel and good mileage preferred.
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:57   #30
BHPian

Mini van or Bolero or something else ??

You can have a look at the Tata Winger if you want or a Maruti Eeco Cng. The Maruti should be good for at least 1.5-2.0 lakhs. I don't know whether it comes with company fitted Cng.
One more car which comes to my mind is the new Eicher MultiX. It's very cheap, seems to have a good ride quality however there is no report on the engines reliability part.

Even I have the same running of about 100-150km a day sometimes shoots upto 400km.
What I am using is an Innova. It's already done 1,75,000 km, no issues faced yet.

Last edited by dean5545 : 22nd September 2015 at 08:58.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed