Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 18:17   #1
BANNED

Bolero Plus: Budget proposition for a large family?

Background:

A large family closely related to me is looking for an alternative car. They already have a Santro and an Omni. They have decided to replace the omni with something. Their planned usage of the vehicle will be commuting 2500 kms every month with two or three members (constrained by the want of space) and a minimum of three long family trips with atleast 10 members in santro and the replacement vehicle. The budget is at 8 lakhs for now and might get stretched to 10. They are contemplating BOLERO TOP END retailing 8.8 lacs. I asked them to consider the Tavera LS at 9.5 lacs but they are saying that its too bareboned and that they need an upgrade in this aspect. I then am thinking of suggesting Bolero plus Ac BS4 at 7.8lacs. Please suggest something.
Old 27th June 2014, 00:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bolero Plus: Budget proposition for a large family?

If the tavera is considered barebones then the XL bolero is also the same. At least the Tavera engine is more refined when comparing to the bolero.

Space-wise too, Tavera is better. Bolero (not XL) is cramped and in no way >5 people can sit in comfort in that UV.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 05:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

You should look at Nissan Evalia or Ashok Leyland Stile. Either of these would suit your requirements.
F150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 05:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Background:

A large family closely related to me is looking for an alternative car. They already have a Santro and an Omni. They have decided to replace the omni with something. Their planned usage of the vehicle will be commuting 2500 kms every month with two or three members (constrained by the want of space) and a minimum of three long family trips with atleast 10 members in santro and the replacement vehicle. The budget is at 8 lakhs for now and might get stretched to 10. They are contemplating BOLERO TOP END retailing 8.8 lacs. I asked them to consider the Tavera LS at 9.5 lacs but they are saying that its too bareboned and that they need an upgrade in this aspect. I then am thinking of suggesting Bolero plus Ac BS4 at 7.8lacs. Please suggest something.
I think the best option would be to go in for a pretty owned Xylo/Scorpio. Or Tata Movus MUV. The bolero is a capable vehicle but is about to undergo a model change and is underpowered. Don't go for tavera it is very very old and can be discontinued any time by Chevy.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 07:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

You considered the Enjoy? Its replaced a lot of the tavera demand, and was quite VFM last I checked. You should be able to get the middle version onroad in madurai under ten with all the offers!

Its made decent inroads in the taxi segment, capturing some of Xylo's early gains.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 07:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

I would recommend the Chevy Enjoy if passengers are not very tall or distances are low.
But I would totally prefer the Tata Sumo Gold over anything else in this segment.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 08:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Don't go for tavera it is very very old and can be discontinued any time by Chevy.
That is what is said about the Tavera for a long time; but it is not happening. There is a continuous 1000+ vehicles sold month after month.

Robust mechanicals, a reliable 2.0 diesel(rover-sourced) engine that is refined than the Isuzu 2.5 and spacious. What more can you ask for budget commuting?
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 13:23   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bolero Plus: Budget proposition for a large family?

Quote:
atleast 10 members in santro and the replacement vehicle.
So they need a 6-seater, 7 at best. Its sales success notwithstanding, the Bolero is too crude, outdated & unsafe for me to make a recommendation.

I'd highly recommend the following options:

1. Maruti Ertiga (or you can wait for the Mobilio): While these aren't full-time 7 seaters, they must make it to the shortlist if the 6 / 7 occupants include kids. Yep, for long distances, this backseat is good for children only. The Ertiga offers Maruti's fuss-free ownership experience and is incredibly car-like to drive. Neat interiors, ride and handling.

2. Nissan Evalia: Excellent people mover. Spacious, well-priced, Japanese reliability, fuel-efficient.

3. You might also want to check out the Tata Sumo Grande & Mahindra Xylo if you're looking at a big, tough body-on-frame UV. Between these two, my pick is the Grande. Surprisingly reliable (for a Tata), spacious interiors, nice engine, far better ride quality than the Xylo.

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2014 at 13:25.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 13:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why not a pre-owned and certified Innova ?
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also look at Tata winger, it is a good 10 seater.
Old 27th June 2014, 17:04   #11
BHPian

I would second GTO on this. You must check out the Maruti Ertiga. A friend of mine has it and it is a trouble free vehicle and is comfortable to drive both in the city as well as highways. Only thing is the last two seats might not suit adults.
You can ask them to take a look at Mahindra Quanto as well. I have test driven it , its comfortable to drive though minor issues are being reported by the owners.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 19:17   #12
BHPian

My Vote again goes for TATA SUMO Grande. The vehicle has outstanding comfort, space and cheap to maintain. Reliability is good and has ample space for a big family.

The suspension and the space and a more than decent engine are its strong points. Being TATA Spares are easy and cheap to come and it has robust underpinnings being a body on ladder design.

PS: I own a TATA car and have nothing much to complain about reliability or service issues.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 19:23   #13
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Background:

minimum of three long family trips with atleast 10 members in santro and the replacement vehicle. The budget is at 8 lakhs for now and might get stretched to 10
  • If heavy maintenance is not a problem, a pre-owned Innova is the best choice. Decent power, decent highway performer, acceptable FE and legendary reliability. Service interval- 5000 km
  • Maruti Ertiga is the second best choice that comes to mind
  • A Scorpio or a Grande Movus might be a good alternative. I don't advise buying a second hand Mahindra or Tata
  • Nobody in this forum can't comment on the Mobilio. But the wait maybe worth it
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 19:39   #14
BANNED

Note from Support: Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If the tavera is considered barebones then the XL bolero is also the same. At least the Tavera engine is more refined when comparing to the bolero.

Space-wise too, Tavera is better. Bolero (not XL) is cramped and in no way >5 people can sit in comfort in that UV.
I do agree that Bolero XL is way too spartan than Tavera LS. Its wrong to have suggest thae XL in the first place. My crude tasted are intercepting my reasoning! The folks are having Bolero ZLX in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You should look at Nissan Evalia or Ashok Leyland Stile. Either of these would suit your requirements.
I suggested these good machines but the folks are put off by the looks and consider it to be overpriced. They are shoved out out contention prematurely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I think the best option would be to go in for a pretty owned Xylo/Scorpio. Or Tata Movus MUV. The bolero is a capable vehicle but is about to undergo a model change and is underpowered. Don't go for tavera it is very very old and can be discontinued any time by Chevy.
These folks stick to their vehicles for a long time. The omni is in its thirteenth year! Their monthly mileage is also high making the santro touch 180k in just six years. Because of this they are firmly against used options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You considered the Enjoy? Its replaced a lot of the tavera demand, and was quite VFM last I checked. You should be able to get the middle version onroad in madurai under ten with all the offers!

Its made decent inroads in the taxi segment, capturing some of Xylo's early gains.
Enjoy is a worthy proposition, especially the petrol form. I will have them go and check out one at the dealers before making their decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would recommend the Chevy Enjoy if passengers are not very tall or distances are low.
But I would totally prefer the Tata Sumo Gold over anything else in this segment.
That's a crucial point for consideration. The gentlemen are tall and strapping, women are mostly small and the children are lanky and are due to follow their father's in no time. So if its a weak chink of enjoy to accommodate people of generous dimensions, then it must bow out.
Old 27th June 2014, 20:06   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: I own a TATA car and have nothing much to complain about reliability or service issues.
But why do you have to justify it? There are multiple threads/owners & cars on Team-BHP to have an opinion about a manufacturer's positive & negative aspects.

And I don't think I need to drag this further

Most Viewed