Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2006, 13:22   #1

Need Guidance to buy an offroader

Hi All,

Iam new to the forum. I work as a business analyst in a software firm in bangalore.
I own a Zen at this point of time and I am planning to buy an offroader shortly.
Though I learnt to drive in a Mahindra MM540 DP, I dont have too much of experience driving an offroader in the city or on a long drive. Could u please guide me as to what should I look out for if am buying an offroader.I have made up my mind to have an offroader soon.
My options are: Mahindra Classic/MM540, Bolero Camper, Scorpio,TATA Safari/TL
Old 20th July 2006, 15:15   #2

Well the useage will be daily city travel,10-15kms max and on weekends complete offroad..cosidering this my choices were bolero camper, Mahindra CJ3B and MM540..
Old 21st July 2006, 13:18   #3
BANNED

In your thread u mentioned safari is one of the option u look @.
I suggest Tata Safari Dicor will give comfort of zen and satisfy ur offroad passion.

Note - It would be costlier, but worth it.....
Old 21st July 2006, 18:02   #4
BHPian

Hi Pradeep

welcome team-bhp. As u have mentioend in ur post that u r planning to buy an off roader and since you already have a Zen. i would suggest you to drop the idea of a safari or for that matter any new luxuary Jeep. You can consider the mm540, the classic or the CJ3B. You don't need A/c while going offroad and am sure you woud't want to take a new jeep offroad, so spend some 60-70grands and pick up a 4*4. 2nd hand, modify it a bit and start hitting the road. Even am planning to buy a 540, i have checked out quiet a few vehicles and have one 540 in mind, check the link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...uggestion.html

You can always get in touch with Arka or PM him, he will be of great help and will be the right person to guide you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...tml#post261287

Regards
Jango !!
Old 21st July 2006, 21:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathinrao
I agree m-540 is the ultimate for offroading. But ,pradeep will be using the offroader daily for his office.A typical jeep with that hard steering and no a/c will make the drive cumbersome considering BANGALORE 's heavy traffic.A BOLERO will satisfy all his requirements.
That's true jathirao, a 540 or for that matter a rugged jeep will not be a gud options for him to drive everyday to office, specially in b'lore traffic. For that reason the bolero 4*4 would be the best option. I had owned a bolero 2WD for the last 5 yrs and it has never let me down, and not to mention the bolero has the best a/c in its class.

PS: If you company pays for petrol allowance, keep using ur ZEN and get ur 540 out only on weekends.......
Old 21st July 2006, 21:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading an article on Forester/CRV/Vitara xl-7.

The forester was the most capable vehicle off-road. Its a subaru after all. I dont know if its still available but its the best luxury you can take off-road for 11 lacs with an AWD.
Old 21st July 2006, 23:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
BOLERO is one of my favourite vehcles. Sadly, after the launch of the SCORPIO , MAHINDRA totally sidelined this gud looking vehicle. In fact, BOLERO looks much better than the SCORP ! The new XL series delivers superb fuel efficiency.
I second that....its a superb vehicle....perfect for long rides, the a/c is the best in its class.the best part was the tyres on my bolero even lasted for 60Klms !!!! sexy jeep ...
Old 21st July 2006, 23:36   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I remember reading an article on Forester/CRV/Vitara xl-7.

The forester was the most capable vehicle off-road. Its a subaru after all. I dont know if its still available but its the best luxury you can take off-road for 11 lacs with an AWD.
Hey, I agree with you that a forester s a gud SUV and stuff but u have to check out the cost of the spares to realise that ownership of this vehicle cud be one hell of a expensive thing so unless you have oodles of cash lying around I wudnt recomend it to anyone ....

Though I wud luv to own one ...

Cheers
Old 21st July 2006, 23:55   #9
BHPian

Also look at Fiat Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mk
Hi All,

Iam new to the forum. I work as a business analyst in a software firm in bangalore.
I own a Zen at this point of time and I am planning to buy an offroader shortly.
Though I learnt to drive in a Mahindra MM540 DP, I dont have too much of experience driving an offroader in the city or on a long drive. Could u please guide me as to what should I look out for if am buying an offroader.I have made up my mind to have an offroader soon.
My options are: Mahindra Classic/MM540, Bolero Camper, Scorpio,TATA Safari/TL
Hi! You didn;t mention your budget, but form the vehicles you have mentioned, it seems you are looking for a off roader in the range of 6-10 lacs. Try this FIAT Adventure. It doesn't come with 4X4, but it has the punch to take you there! Its a car with tyres which can do both on and off road. Well, its not a true SUV, but I am sure it a head turner in city as well as in the off road terrain. 190mm ground clearance with full load, Pirellis (tubeless) and alloys. To top it, it has roof rails and 4 fog lamps with a sturdy bull bar. Test drive it for SURE! And with Tata-Fiat tie up, things are only getting better for Fiat cars.

The FE is about 9kmpl in City (with A/C) on, though some owners claim even more. On the highway, it will give you cool 13+ with A/C on. And on those off road journeys....I leave it to you and the RPM meter to decide.
Old 22nd July 2006, 00:46   #10

Hi All,
Thank you for your opinions..
Omar, i dont think i would like to spend 6-9lacs rht now,am looking out for second hands or even further..
I had a Fiat palio before and i know how the Fiat cars are..no comments at all.
My major concern is that lately too many people have been sitting on my head and bringing out issues like safety and security(like I care for it),but as its a new venture for me I just want to know pros and cons of owning an SUV.
I have mad up my mind to buy one so..hell with people whoo dont like it.Those who like it and already have it,I would like to take your opinions.
Old 22nd July 2006, 02:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

if off roading is all you want, and your usage is not going to be high, go for gypsy hard top and get an AC fitted.
Mahindra is good if you dont mind the crudeness
Old 22nd July 2006, 17:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
WELCOME TO TEAM-BHP.
If u r doing serious off roading , SCORPIO and SAFARI will be out . SCORPIO doesn't cum with a 4x4 option and thou SAFARI has a 4x4 option, it s bulky and the tyres don't give much confidence for off roading. What i suggest is to go for new BLERO 4X4.. It has creature comforts like excellent a/c , power steering , windows...The newly launched BOLERO XL has a great fuel economy of 12-13 km in city and 17-18km on the highways.

Correction: Scorpio comes with a 4x4 option as a option for around Rs.1,lk extra. and its worth the extra as its a fully electronic 4x4.
Old 25th July 2006, 17:41   #13
BHPian

well that seems to be strange! i was just inquiring with the workshop service advisor, and he said they are still coming in, so maybe he aint that equipped with the latest info ... but its strange mahindra has stopped it.
Old 25th July 2006, 22:32   #14
BHPian

So what have u finally decided......waiting to know what u have decided for...pick up a 4*4 and we can go for some offroad trips !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks