Team-BHP - Buying a pre-worshipped German SUV (30 - 35 lakh budget)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Buying a pre-worshipped German SUV (30 - 35 lakh budget) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/152653-buying-pre-worshipped-german-suv-30-35-lakh-budget.html)

Hello BHP'ians,

Posting this on behalf of my uncle who wants to buy a pre-worshipped German SUV in the ballpark of 30-35 lacs.

As far as my knowledge goes, a Q7 or an X5 won't fit in the budget right?

What options should we look at, from the German trio?
1. Used X3? (Will X5 fit the budget?)
2. Used M-class?
3. Used Q5 (will it be difficult to find one?)

I searched the Team-BHP Classifieds but didn't quite find anything.

Can you guys please suggest where can we look for cars satisfying the above criteria in Mumbai?

Other suggestions are welcomed. Thank You.

-Bhargav

We found two cars which fit the bill..

1. 2012 Audi Q5, 18k kms on the odo. Asking price : 40 lac. (Uncle can extend upto 40 if its worth buying).

2. 2008 BMW X3, some 45k on the odo. I forgot to ask him the price of this one.

Is there any way we can check the two cars' service histories? If yes, then please tell how..

-Bhargav

That's a good budget for quite a few cars.

Q7s or X5s which will be available in that budget, will be 4-5 years old and would have run a fair amount. I'd say avoid.

Used X3s, should fit in the budget. They will be a good option.

Same goes for used Q5s.

The MLs you will get will be old gen, which are best avoided. They are unreliable.

As for what you have found -
1) A good option, pre facelift if I'm correct. Price can be got down to 36 easily, the asking price is way too high.
2) The X3 would be in the 20s, previous gen. I would avoid.

Another excellent option if your uncle can stretch to around 40, would be a new X3. The Advantage edition, if registered outside Mumbai (i.e outside Octroi) can be had at around 40l or so on road.

A friend recently picked up a fully loaded 2009 Q7 3.0 TDi with adjustable suspension etc for 42 in Bangalore. Mumbai should be a bit cheaper. Car had just run 35k km apparently and having driven it, I'd say it is in real good shape.

Shaman Kalina had a Volkswagen Tourag for sale in Blue a while ago, low mileage and at around 37-38 was 2011(if i remember well), they might also offer you a pre-owned MLs if you check with them.

@Octane

With a high budget of close to 40 lacs, why do you want to venture into pre-owned territory.

You have a no. of options for brand new cars at that price bracket:

-Volvo(though Swiss)has a capable V40 and the top end loaded version will be close to 40 lacs.

Other option-XC 60.

-BMW-
1 Series top of the line will be easily within your budget and you save some for the maintenance part!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnabchak (Post 3469606)
You have a no. of options for brand new cars at that price bracket:

-Volvo(though Swiss)has a capable V40 and the top end loaded version will be close to 40 lacs.

1 Series top of the line will be easily within your budget and you save some for the maintenance part!!

The 1 series and V40 are no SUVs. The 1 series is infact more of a hatch. Also the V40 comes in only 1 trim and costs around 33L OTR. There is no true SUV, if I can put it that way, within the OP's budget. So the only option is to look for used cars.

Quote:

@Octane

-BMW-

:Shockked: When did 1 series become an SUV?Please read OP's requirements carefully.

Your suggestion of XC60 is also debatable as OP has a budget of 30-35 Lakhs and even the base model of xc60 would touch 40/cross it and I'm talking ex-showroom prices here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 3469571)

Another excellent option if your uncle can stretch to around 40, would be a new X3. The Advantage edition, if registered outside Mumbai (i.e outside Octroi) can be had at around 40l or so on road.

Thank You Akshay for the insight! Yes, Q5 is pre-facelift; will be going mostly tomorrow to have a look at the car, will definitely push for the price you have mentioned.

And even I was thinking to avoid the X3.

But, your point of looking at a new X3 is the best, hadn't even thought of it. Out of Mumbai registration can be handled with ease as well.

Also, could you please tell me, if at all we like the Q5, is there a way to check the car's service history? I mean if any of the Audi dealers can be helpful with it or any other way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 3469578)
A friend recently picked up a fully loaded 2009 Q7 3.0 TDi with adjustable suspension etc for 42 in Bangalore. Mumbai should be a bit cheaper.

Can scout for it, definitely. Will look for a similar deal. But again as Akshay has said, it will be 4-5 yrs old(same as in your case, 2009) because of which we might avoid it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRANSAM (Post 3469600)
Shaman Kalina had a Volkswagen Tourag for sale in Blue a while ago, low mileage and at around 37-38 was 2011(if i remember well), they might also offer you a pre-owned MLs if you check with them.

:eek: That is a really sweet deal. Will need to check what they have got with them..

Quote:

@Octane

With a high budget of close to 40 lacs, why do you want to venture into pre-owned territory.

Tsk Tsk Arnab Sir. Uncle needs a German SUV, not looking at other segments.

Infact, when he told me the budget even I suggested him to buy a new Fortuner or the Santa Fe.

But, he told me that he wanted an SUV with one of the 3 German badges..

-Bhargav

A friend of mine bought a 2010 XC60 for 26 Lakhs. Bangalore Reg - a bargain IMHO

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 3470082)
A friend of mine bought a 2010 XC60 for 26 Lakhs. Bangalore Reg - a bargain IMHO

Ajit, was it XC60 or XC90?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3470121)
Ajit, was it XC60 or XC90?

XC 60 with 25k on the clock. He had an option on a 2007 XC 90 with 45k for 28L (bit overpriced although car was in good shape). It was a no brainer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octane_Power (Post 3470039)
Thank You Akshay for the insight! Yes, Q5 is pre-facelift; will be going mostly tomorrow to have a look at the car, will definitely push for the price you have mentioned.

But, your point of looking at a new X3 is the best, hadn't even thought of it. Out of Mumbai registration can be handled with ease as well.

Also, could you please tell me, if at all we like the Q5, is there a way to check the car's service history? I mean if any of the Audi dealers can be helpful with it or any other way?

:eek: That is a really sweet deal. Will need to check what they have got with them..

Let us know what happens with the Q5.

Am actually in a similar boat, hence have looked at all these options.

The new X3 will be great, do push the dealers on the prices, especially considering the facelift has launched internationally.

Yes the Audi dealers should help you with the service history, with just a call to them. You can try calling either of the dealers.

As for the Touareg, there is a brown one with 20k kms on the odo at 39. Its a good deal but then I've seen pictures of it in some magazine reviews, though the person at Shaman said it wasn't a press car and may have been given for some photography. You should check out the condition of this car, and possibly bargain for this too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octane_Power (Post 3470039)

Can scout for it, definitely. Will look for a similar deal. But again as Akshay has said, it will be 4-5 yrs old(same as in your case, 2009) because of which we might avoid it.

Tsk Tsk Arnab Sir. Uncle needs a German SUV, not looking at other segments.

Infact, when he told me the budget even I suggested him to buy a new Fortuner or the Santa Fe.

But, he told me that he wanted an SUV with one of the 3 German badges..

-Bhargav

As a matter of co-incidence this morning's Bombay Times, has an advert by Shaman Motors for their cars on sale including the 2011 VW Touarag, take a look. do update us here.

Just a thought but both the Q3 and X1 are available within your budget
Both cars are priced at fairly competitively against their international prices (compared to the Q5/X3 which are priced considerably more than the differential price they command over the Q5/X3 elsewhere)
The engine on the X1 is the same as the s20 X3 (and probably the same case with the Q3 vs Q5)
While you do lose out on some space, you do get the peace of mind that comes with a new car