Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Some people are saying that not a single car can be called as a 7 seater in India. I don't agree here. Mahindra Xylo has that capacity. I have traveled through it for few times for more than 1000 kms and it was comfortable for 7 people. Going to last seat is little tricky, but once you are seated, its quite comfortable for long journey. It has proper seat for 3rd row like we have on second row & comfort is very good on good roads, for long hours too. Cushioning i found to be very good and way better than other cars like Innova. On bad roads its little uncomfortable. But yes, its a proper 7 seater & you can travel few hundred kms in it. AC is also chilling.

Coming back to Mobilio, its a 5+2 only like Ertiga. No doubt on that. Hope Honda don't launch RS, it looks really bad to me. It has too much chrome & that gives effect of some bad after market fitments. It has typical "Gavathi" look to it. Please note that it's my personal opinion & some may really like it in that funky look

Last edited by aniketi : 2nd July 2014 at 18:19.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Some people are saying that not a single car can be called as a 7 seater in India. I don't agree here. Mahindra Xylo has that capacity. I have traveled through it for few times for more than 1000 kms and it was comfortable for 7 people.

Absolutely true. For the long runs on the highways, as a Xylo owning family, my entire family including the adults on the 3rd row strongly vouch for this. It's been 30,000 kms of super comfort on the highways so far.

But we are also looking for a second car for city driving with friends (6 to 7 adults). A car that is easier to toss around than the Xylo in the city traffic. The Honda Mobilio, at a length of 4386 mm, is more compact than the Honda City (4440 mm), plus the benefit of the 3rd row seat. Also, this car can be good for my wife's outings with her ladies & kids groups during the day as well, on account of the 7 seats and good shopping bags storage option in the boot !

So there it is, a clear case for a "proper 7 seater" and a "part time 7 seater" to live together in perfect harmony
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 23:15   #33
BHPian

Well if people are really taking about the comfort factor and deciding whether something is a 7 seater or not then please rule out the Innova as well. If you are an adult then you cannot seat in the last row for more than 45 minutes. At least I could't tolerate the last row for more than 45 minutes.

And coming to XYLO, it may not even be a proper 4 seater as you will be rock and rolling if you sit in the middle row. I get really scared whenever FAST Track send a XYLO for any of in-city runs. Really don't miss the Disney land rides!
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is there a *true* 7-seater in the Indian MUV market? Xylo v Innova v Ertiga/Mobil

I have been grappling with this issue ever since the family expanded. With 2 kids in car seats, a caretaker for the little one, relatives and so forth, driving around in a 5-seater is not an option. We end up taking taking both cars which is ridiculous if you know the contents of my garage (both are petrols, sigh!)

Innova or Xylo seem to be true 7-seaters: we have an Innova in the extended family and have often used it at full capacity. Generally 2 kids and a reasonably sized adult (upto 5'7") in the back don't draw too many complaints. At my height (5'10" and pretty hefty at that) it is not an option but then I am almost always in the driver's seat!

I TDed the Ertiga a little after its launch and the family found the rear bench acceptable, though not as comfortable as the Innova. For the price, it is an amazing value proposition. Mobilio is something I am eagerly awaiting since this is probably the strongest alternative to an Ertiga. Mind you, my usage is generally 5 plus baggage or 7 without. So I guess it suits my needs.

Of course using a "soccer mom" type vehicle as a daily drive is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow; ideally it needs to be paired with a nice hot hatch. Decisions, decisions!
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:55   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is there a *true* 7-seater in the Indian MUV market? Xylo v Innova v Ertiga/Mobil

I think there is also another factor at play here and that is the overall "Bigger" image of the vehicle. This is such an important factor in most Indian families where the car is seen as your status symbol. And cars like Ertiga/Mobilio do give you that feeling. Some might also be forced into considering them as SUV kind of vehicles. Infact just today my colleague asked me just that. He was looking for an SUV kind of vehicle and has shortlisted the Ertiga. So basically you get the gist.

Having said that the Mobilio would again be another 5+2 seater, may be slightly better than the Ertiga at that. The pricing is what will really matter. And unlike a few members, I see no fault in Honda marketing it as a 7 seater vehicle.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have been grappling with this issue ever since the family expanded.

Of course using a "soccer mom" type vehicle as a daily drive is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow; ideally it needs to be paired with a nice hot hatch. Decisions, decisions!
Noopster, I am exactly in the same boat as you. I would any day prefer a hatch for the daily office commutes, city errands etc and a big family mover for those highway trips, with loads of luggage. However I don't have the luxury of two parking slots in my apartment.

Hence the Ertiga or the Mobilio fits the bill perfectly well. It can replace my hatch for my daily office commutes (without having the guilt of burning too much fossil fuel for a lone person). These would also be handy for touring my joint family with loads of luggage. One advantage in my family is that I am the single person weighing 70+, Mom and dad are 60-70 range and wifey under 50 . Two kids, one in secondary school and another a toddler. So even a sedan would suffice for me, but then I would prefer individual seat for each person and a child seat for the youngest one.

So I don't even need a seven seater, a six seater and decent space for weekend luggage is sufficient for me. Mobilio scores over the Ertiga as it has more boot space and a split 3rd row seat.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I had this same question in my mind last week.

Once upon a time Omni E was an eight seater. but I will never call it a full time 8-seater.
Winger can go from 9+1 to 13+1 seater! For almost an year, Our company cab was a 12+1 winger, but it was only fit for a couple of hours journey. Not more.

IMO, in the current offerings in the market (under 15lakhs), only Xylo and Innova can accommodate 7 people for comfortable long drives.

I have toured in an Innova with 5 other friends + driver for a week-long Delhi-Manali-Shimla-Delhi trip. Although t was not luxurious, it was comfortable.

I've also sat in my friend's Xylo for intercity trips along with his family. The third row is bouncy but spacious.
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I have traveled through it for few times for more than 1000 kms and it was comfortable for 7 people. Going to last seat is little tricky, but once you are seated, its quite comfortable for long journey. It has proper seat for 3rd row like we have on second row & comfort is very good on good roads, for long hours too. Cushioning i found to be very good and way better than other cars like Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
For the long runs on the highways, as a Xylo owning family, my entire family including the adults on the 3rd row strongly vouch for this. It's been 30,000 kms of super comfort on the highways so far.
Agree. Xylo is indeed comfortable for long journeys. Proper height of the seats plus the leg room at the back contributes to the comfort on the last row of seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

And coming to XYLO, it may not even be a proper 4 seater as you will be rock and rolling if you sit in the middle row. I get really scared whenever FAST Track send a XYLO for any of in-city runs. Really don't miss the Disney land rides!

It depends on how one drives the vehicle. XYLO is a MUV and needs to be driven like one. A fully loaded XYLO drives better than an empty one.

Coming to the Mobilio,

Having sat inside one.It is not a true 7-Seater for sure. The last row is only suitable for kids. The seats are low when you compare them to the Ertiga leading to poor under-thigh support. Practically, the extra space that Mobilio offers over Ertiga is the boot space.

Enjoy/Ertiga/Mobilio are nothing but compact MUVs.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 04:49   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of the 4 cars being discussed here - only the Innova and the Xylo are true 7/8 seaters. The Ertiga and the Mobilio are basically 5+2. Which does total upto 7 - but the +2 seating is more cramped and not comfortable enough for an average Indian. Even the Quanto which is called a 5+2 - in my opinion is just a 5-seater. Anyone who has sat in it will agree with me that the +2 seats are not even meant for kids. Its basically an excuse to call it a 5+2.

Someone did mention whether a car with 7 seats can be called a 7 seater? Well the answer is Yes and No - depending on your perspective. Someones requirement could be 5 adults and 2 kids - and they would be happy to call the Ertiga / Mobilio a true 7 seater. Someone who has to seat 7 adults would refer to them as a 5+2.

So it all depends on your requirements - which the manufacturers try to exploit and advertise to you in a smart way. Small size, big space, more seats - anyone would want more seats in his cars.
  • You can seat more people
  • You dont need to take 2 cars
  • You save a lot of fuel and money
  • Its fun when everyone is travelling together
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 11:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga & Mobilio are basically 5+2 IMHO. It can carry 5 adults & 2 kids up to 10-12 years in comfort. Anything above that is painful for long journeys for sure. But these cars offer great VFM in case of requirements within city when you need to carry more than 5 adults. Within city travel requirements like for shopping mall visits, hotel visits etc where you are not traveling more than 5-10 kms or more than 30-40 minutes travel is required. I face similar issues with my car when my in laws comes at my place regularly and we need to go out for small distance here & there. We become family of 6 adults + 2 kids below 5 years. We need to take 2 cars & my dad has to drive. So i am eagerly looking to upgrade now for a VFM 7 seater. Ertiga is on top in my choice list, but lets see how Mobilio is priced. But i can't tolerate those interiors in Mobilio, its just yucks !!! RS version can easily become topic for laugh in friends & cousins for sure if i buy one. Hope Maruti bring Ertiga facelift soon with some more modifications & some more space.

Last edited by aniketi : 4th July 2014 at 11:43.
Old 4th July 2014, 13:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Slightly misleading I would say.
Suppose it should go well, when the average Male Indian Height is around 5 feet 5 inches. Practically speaking the male ego ensures that only women are banished to the third row. Now the Indian women are 5 Feet 3 1/2 Inch.

Will mobilus fit that in? Something we need to wait and watch till the product hits the showrooms.
Old 4th July 2014, 15:05   #42
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have been grappling with this issue ever since the family expanded. With 2 kids in car seats, a caretaker for the little one, relatives and so forth, driving around in a 5-seater is not an option

Innova or Xylo seem to be true 7-seaters: we have an Innova in the extended family and have often used it at full capacity. Generally 2 kids and a reasonably sized adult (upto 5'7") in the back don't draw too many complaints.

I TDed the Ertiga a little after its launch and the family found the rear bench acceptable, though not as comfortable as the Innova. For the price, it is an amazing value proposition. Mobilio is something I am eagerly awaiting since this is probably the strongest alternative to an Ertiga. Mind you, my usage is generally 5 plus baggage or 7 without. So I guess it suits my needs.
  • Honestly, I think that you answered your question in the paragraph where you wrote about the Ertiga
  • My advice: Just go book the Mobilio(if there are no cancellation charges), else there'll be a long waiting period
  • Going by Honda's packaging in the Jazz/Brio/Amaze/City, I think Mobilio will have significantly more space than the Ertiga
  • Important here: Innova and Xylo are big body-on-frame UVs which are heavy, expensive and relatively thirsty
  • If you are putting 7 passengers (without luggage) and there are 2 people who can manage in the last row, just buy the Ertiga/Mobilio
  • If you don't drive much, buy the i-VTEC
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 15:26   #43
BHPian

This seems to be developing as quite an interesting thread.
An MPV or MUV or "mini trucks" as I like to call them most basically are used as office cabs for short commutes.
I can list down another 3 cars which are totally looked down:
a) Tata Aria and
b) Chevrolet Enjoy
c) The old generation Chevrolet Captiva

Of these the Chevrolet Enjoy and Tata Aria are true blue MPV's which can accurately provide a true to word 7 seater comfort.
However under rated some of these are work horses which ferry people day in and day out, and have never failed to disappoint the masses who travel in them.
Though we are still a few miles away from actually getting a 7 seater comfort machien, but the ones stated above can give a run for your money if you are seriously considering a vehicle for short commutes.

Cheers
Old 4th July 2014, 15:38   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova and Xylo are Ladder Frame Chassis based vehicles, using solid axles at rear(although with shorter travel range and stiffer springs in case of Innova, compared to Fortuner), which compromise Dynamics and Ride comfort. No matter which of these Vehicles you buy, the ride comfort on the row of seats behind the rear axle is going to be compromised with excessive bounce.

For all these 7 seater vehicles designed to accommodate 7 passengers are more likely to have compromised Suspension setup, to keep the vehicle comfortable all across the load range which can vary from 1 passenger to 7 Passengers and their Luggage. Examples: Ertiga with full load starts to bottom out(as in suspension running out of travel, hitting bump stops, not referred to scraping here), XUV-500's Ride gets better with load..
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 17:49   #45
BHPian

Hi all,

Interesting discussion.
My Humble Opinion: Most of MUV's (Innova, Ertiga, Xylo, Scorpio, Mobile) are frankly not "True 7-Seater". What i mean "True" is traveling in comfort without causing inconvenience to passengers.

If you look for "True 7-Seater". Then i think Perfectly Nissan Evalia /AL Style fills the list in Personal Transportation. The problem is Image perception that these vehicles tend to have in our Minds. They are Considered as "VANs". Even-though, they fit the requirement of "True 7-Seater".

But Most of us consider Evalia/Style too commercial for personal vehicle, when shopping for 7-Seater look for chic-style, useless features like alloy wheels, fog lamps. But Tend to forget the difference between "Practical Vs Brochure Specs".

Most Viewed