Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 23:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Even the Brio, which is a miniscule car has fair enough space for 4. That is people of average height and weight ( 5' 10" or less and 80 Kg or less). The Amaze has even the more space and i fail to see why Mobilio would seem cramped to anybody!
A baseless comment for sure.
Old 1st July 2014, 23:15   #17
BHPian

Folks - When did a 7 seater become an occasional 7 seater or only a 7 seater for the cities but not the highways? Quite interesting that people are willing to justify/compromise even before trying it out. Let's wait for some real test drives. Shall we?
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Folks - When did a 7 seater become an occasional 7 seater or only a 7 seater for the cities but not the highways? ...
Guess you got it mixed up again! Just having 7 seats does NOT make a vehicle proper 7 seater! For proper 7 seaters, we should be looking at Xylo & Innova (MUVs) where you (adults upto 5'5") can be comfortable during long journeys.

Vehicles like Ertiga & Mobilio though have 7 seats, the last row is good for kids or short people. These tend be uncomfortable during the long journeys because of lack of under thigh support or the floor being high due to spare wheel under the car. This has been clearly demonstrated in certain pics.

Edit:: 'Ability to carry 7 people' & 'ability to carry 7 people in comfort' are two different scenarios.

If someone wants to believe that Ertiga & Mobilio are proper 7 seaters and (the third row) will be good for long journeys even for adults, please feel free to.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd July 2014 at 10:10. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:15   #19
BHPian

Its like the difference between a 4 seater and a 2+2 seater.

Theoretically they are the same (4 seats), but practically they differ.

Last edited by batterylow : 2nd July 2014 at 10:16. Reason: Adding info
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:32   #20
BHPian

I think the problem is that Honda itself is promoting Mobilio as a 7 seater and hence people are bound to compare it with Xylo and Innova. Also in the video which Honda has put together, they are showing a grown up on the third seat. Slightly misleading I would say.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a *true* 7-seater in the Indian MUV market? Xylo vs Innova vs Ertiga/Mobilio-mobilio.png  

Attached Images

damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think the problem is that Honda itself is promoting Mobilio as a 7 seater and hence people are bound to compare it with Xylo and Innova. Also in the video which Honda has put together, they are showing a grown up on the third seat. Slightly misleading I would say.
If a car has 7 seats, it would be called a 7-seater. What else can it be called? A 5-seater? I do not find fault with Honda.

And, oh yes, speaking of 7-seaters, I do not find any proper 7-seaters in India as of now. I once travelled from Delhi to Jaipur in an Innova, the so-called champion of MUVs, and being in a group, I was forced to the last row to make way for women and senior citizens up front. The 3-hour cramped-for-space ride spoiled all the fun. I was sitting in contorted position and my knees were at 30 degrees from straight either to right or left. And I'm only 5'7". It was the worst ride of my life and 3 hours later, I got down with cramped legs and sore bums from all that shifting. I cursed myself why did I not hire a Tata Winger. I vowed never to take last seat on any of these 7-seatres. So much for a proper 7-seater. So, I would say there is none. Neither Innova nor Xylo. May be Evalia would be better but I never rode in one.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If a car has 7 seats, it would be called a 7-seater. What else can it be called? A 5-seater? I do not find fault with Honda.

And, oh yes, speaking of 7-seaters, I do not find any proper 7-seaters in India as of now.
Agree with you, Innova is also an occasional 7 Seater. You simply cant travel all day in its 3rd row.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, I would say there is none. Neither Innova nor Xylo.[/b] May be Evalia would be better but I never rode in one.
See, this is the problem. Some people are not even ok with Innova being tagged as a proper 7 seater.

If you want a proper 7 seater there is nothing except for the massive Van's sold internationally and those will never ever work in India.

So which car will be a proper 7 seater suitable for India. There is not even one looks like.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:06   #24
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
See, this is the problem. Some people are not even ok with Innova being tagged as a proper 7 seater.

If you want a proper 7 seater there is nothing except for the massive Van's sold internationally and those will never ever work in India.
I agree! All of them should be classified as 5 + 2 seaters, which is what they actually are. 5 adults and 2 kids in comfort for long journeys, or 7 adults for very short journeys.

I was once invited for a long trip along with 6 others (all adults) plus the driver in an "8-seater" cab. After finding out that it was an Innova, I opted out of the journey. They kept pestering me, but I was firm in refusing to accompany them.

When they returned, they actually thanked me for not going with them. As it was, they stepped out with aches and pains (after taking turns in the last row). I would have only made myself and everyone else even more miserable, had I chosen to be a part of the group.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd July 2014 at 12:09.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And, oh yes, speaking of 7-seaters, I do not find any proper 7-seaters in India as of now. I once travelled from Delhi to Jaipur in an Innova, the so-called champion of MUVs, and being in a group, I was forced to the last row to make way for women and senior citizens up front. The 3-hour cramped-for-space ride spoiled all the fun. I was sitting in contorted position and my knees were at 30 degrees from straight either to right or left. And I'm only 5'7". It was the worst ride of my life and 3 hours later, I got down with cramped legs and sore bums from all that shifting. I cursed myself why did I not hire a Tata Winger. I vowed never to take last seat on any of these 7-seatres. So much for a proper 7-seater. So, I would say there is none. Neither Innova nor Xylo. May be Evalia would be better but I never rode in one.
with @pgsagar & @vid6639

Had almost similar experience in Innova's 3rd row, & realised best way to be confortable in 3rd row is not letting 3 person slip in & crossing legs in lotus position in parts of journey.

When I saw the Mobilio in a mall near my place, I did not feel it is much worse or better than Ertiga in 3rd row. IMO it could be a sensible option as compared to Innova, which could end up being priced almost double on variant on variant basis.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vid, RSR and Cardeep for seeing my point. Personally, I would prefer a spacious 5-seater like CRV, Outlander over cramped 7-seaters which have the last row just for name's sake. And as Vid has rightly noted, the van-like 7-seaters as in vogue overseas are too huge compared to our Innovas/Xylos and other MUVs/SUVs. If we want to have a real 7-seaters in India then the existing MUVs/SUVs' length will have to be stretched at least by 12 to 18 inches. Only then last row occupant will be as comfortable as the ones in 1st/2nd row. All the exsiting MUVs/SUVs in Inida have totally useless 3rd row which can be best seated in for 20-30 minutes max.

Digressing here, let us look at Scorpio's A,B,C and D pillars. In their quest to make it a 7/8 seater and yet keep the overall length not too long, they have cramped all rows. The result is, when you look at Scorpio from side on, its A and B pillars appear to be just as far apart as a Maruti 800's. It looks very odd. This car is tall and wide but cabin length appears short and stubby in proportions. The doors are tiny in width. I hope new Scorpio is stretched.
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
If a car has 7 seats, it would be called a 7-seater. What else can it be called? A 5-seater? I do not find fault with Honda. .
Dude I am not disputing whether a car with 7 seats should be called a 7-seater or not. But when you are promoting it in your Ad, it better be a USP of your product. In this case, I don't see being 7 seater a USP for Mobilio and hence I feel it is slightly misleading. I myself sat on the 3rd bench in the display vehicle in Mumbai and found it uncomfortable. Guess everyone does that.

I agree with Vidyut, the perception will vary. For me, I found 3rd bench of Innova to be comfortable and I believe it is a proper 7-seater.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So which car will be a proper 7 seater suitable for India. There is not even one looks like.
Only the Merc GL or R class
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Dude I am not disputing whether a car with 7 seats should be called a 7-seater or not. But when you are promoting it in your Ad, it better be a USP of your product. In this case, I don't see being 7 seater a USP for Mobilio and hence I feel it is slightly misleading. I myself sat on the 3rd bench in the display vehicle in Mumbai and found it uncomfortable. Guess everyone does that.

I agree with Vidyut, the perception will vary. For me, I found 3rd bench of Innova to be comfortable and I believe it is a proper 7-seater.
You find Innova to be a proper 7-seater? Well, what can I say? I do not at all find Innova's last row aceptable and just see 3 posts after my post who agreed with me. May be you are very slightly built and can fit in there. I, at even a short height of 5'7" and slim-built, cannot. So, just as you are entitled to call Mobilio not a 7-seater, I am entitled to call Innova not a proper 7-seater. I hope that clears.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:29   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You find Innova to be a proper 7-seater? Well, what can I say? I do not at all find Innova's last row aceptable and just see 3 posts after my post who agreed with me. May be you are very slightly built and can fit in there. I, at even a short height of 5'7" and slim-built, cannot. So, just as you are entitled to call Mobilio not a 7-seater, I am entitled to call Innova not a proper 7-seater. I hope that clears.
I sat in an Innova 3rd row for 350kms from Jaipur to Salasar along with my sister. We got the captain seat version so only 2 in the middle and 2 of us in the 3rd row.

It wasn't bad and I was actually sleep in peace. Mind you I am 6 feet and not slim by a long shot. So it depends from person to person which is absolutely fine.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed