Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2006, 00:04   #1
BHPian

Am pickin up this 540 (pics uploded) need suggestion

Hi ALL

I am all set to pick up 95model MM540. Its a 4WD, and the owner is asking for 80K. I may be able to settle it for 75K, but i am not sure abt the price, i saw the 540 and also drove it, its gud...... . Before i pick up this jeep, i have couple of questions for team bhpians

1) How much is the jeep worth, will it be too costly to pick it up for 75K.

2) Its a 4WD, and i see only one small gear lever for the 540. I remember seeing 2 small gear levers in one of my friend 540 long time back, is it normal or has the owner made it a 4WD afterwards later after buying a 2WD. I did't not ask him abt it.....i thought abt it later, but will be asking him shortly.

3)Any specific things to b cheked before picking it up

Pls find some pics of the jeep below

Front View

Note the GEAR LEVER am i supposed to find 2 small gear levers ??

Rear View

Regards

Jango

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Kindly avoid posting full size pictures. This causes inconvenience to the dial-up users.

Do check on How to post thumbnail photos within Team-BHP from this topic

Last edited by adya33 : 21st July 2006 at 00:26.
Old 21st July 2006, 02:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

i don't know about the 2 small gear levers. i've noticed only 1 additional lever - for the hi-range / low-range selector but i guess only a hardcore Jeeper will be able to clarify.

regarding the price - especially after looking at the interior picture, i think the owner's asking for too much money. it looks like a pretty ill kept machine. the exterior looks OK. Rs. 75k for a 1995 model (11 years old) is too much. i would expect a price range @ Rs. 30k on an average.

make sure you get it thoroughly checked out professionaly before finalizing the deal. look at details - rust spots (a big one visible in one of the pictures itself) around the body, under carpets and in the engine bay. check tires for irregular wear, engine misfire, chassis stability........

how many kms has the owner put on it? more the kms, lower the selling price. try and get service records from him or from the workshop where the car is serviced at.

categorize what matters (repairs) you would have to attend to immediately after purchasing and what would be the cost of those. try to get the owner to have these looked at himself, rather than keeping them for later.

try not to jump in and finalize the deal ASAP. theres always another car out there waiting to be sold...

get in touch with other Mahindra owners on details you should look out for. GTO & hianooo are current Mahindra owners on this forum.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st July 2006 at 02:17.
Old 21st July 2006, 07:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There could be more rusting than what we see in the second pic. Try checking under-body for rust, and also by checking inside the wheel wells & inside bonnet - basically areas that are not visible from outside. Get a wash done if required. Also remove any mats etc when you check for rust. See if he has got any coating done for the floor-board [outside / inside], as a safeguard against rust. If there is, then be extra careful.

Remember, your cost is basically what you pay him + plus + what you pay for repairs that you'll have to do after you get it.

Have you checked any other jeeps in that area - compare prices.

Last edited by condor : 21st July 2006 at 07:40.
Old 21st July 2006, 10:36   #4
BHPian

The newer jeeps have just one lever for 4WD. Its sort of like a gear lever. You have markings on it saying 2WD, 4WH, 4WL and you have to use it as your gear lever. This is how it is in my friend's jeep. I have heard him tell that in previous models you had one lever for 2WD and 4WD and another one for 4WH and 4WL. Havent seen one like that for quite sometime now though...
Old 21st July 2006, 10:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Jeep - Mm540 4wd

Hello,
Check the following :-
1) Engine - XD4.9P (2112cc) or XD3P (2498cc)
This will be indicated by the RC papers as MM540 DP 4WD or MM540 XD 4WD
a) start the engine and open the bonnet: on top of the engine there will be cylindrical tube 2" in height; it the breather and port for engine oil *** no smoke should be coming out through the breather - indicates a weak engine.

2) Check the Chassis for flex or bends.
a) under the shock absorber mounts
b) leaf sping hangers
c) Front crossmember - under radiator
d) Rear crossmember - under rear tailgate

3) Engage all the gears and drive it around.
a) Drive in Hi-range
b) Drive in Low-range

4) Check the floor plates and body mounts for rusting
a) check the silencer - It should be flushed within the chassis

Regards,

Arka
Old 21st July 2006, 11:06   #6
BHPian

Dosen't look a well maintained vechicle. Tires seem to be pretty bald. Interiors are repainted and badly maintained. I wodun't go for this. You could get some good Jeeps from Chikmagalur or Coorg. And yes, newer model jeeps have just one lever for 4 WD
Old 21st July 2006, 13:12   #7
BANNED

stay away from it.. kerala jeeps are notorious for bein overloaded.. and driven at dreakneck speeds on the ghats.. lungis flyin an all.. u could have probs wid the diff later on due to this.. a gratin noise will indicate this.. stick to jeeps from coorg .. well maintained
Old 21st July 2006, 15:40   #8
BHPian

@all thanks for the suggestions. I guess the jeep have done over a lakh Kilometer. I am also on the lookout for other jeeps as well. will keep u all updated abt it !!
Old 21st July 2006, 15:44   #9
BHPian

@Arka got ur PM will definitely buzz u tomorrow !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks