Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 18:22   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

A colleague of mine was hell-bent on buying the Mobilio. Nice-looker, Kapil advertising it etc.- what's not to like? He first checked out the Ertiga, liked it but came out saying "Yaar it's a Maruti!" and headed off towards the Honda showroom.

He came back dejected. In his words, the rear seats are designed ONLY for children. Apparently this was told to him by the sales advisors as well. Since he intended to use it with 6 adults + 1 child (short distances only), it's a deal breaker for him.

Says there is no such issue in the Ertiga. Am not sure how accurate that is, just passing along a consumer insight
Old 10th September 2014, 22:57   #137
BHPian

"Honda Mobilio Topples Maruti Ertiga in August 2014 Sales" -NDTV

Quote:
HCIL delivered 5530 units of the newly launched MPV last month; on the other hand MSI sold 5,491 units of Ertiga in the month of August.
Old 11th September 2014, 19:58   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
"Honda Mobilio Topples Maruti Ertiga in August 2014 Sales" -NDTV
Apart from my earlier comment about this probably being due to huge initial demand, there is one more clarification needed on this sales comparison:

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/ertiga-chal...-ertiga-608216

In August, Honda sold 5,530 units of the Mobilio, whereas the sales of its prime rival Ertiga combined with the Gypsy and Grand Vitara stood at 5,491 units.

Even though Gypsy and Vitara don't sell too many, but still, they are included in that 5491 count!
Old 12th September 2014, 08:01   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Surprising but I feel the exact opposite. No offence though.
Exactly!
I was hard pressed to find a comfortable seating position on the Mobilio. In the 20 min test drive, I would have adjusted the seats and steering 10 times.

I was at immediate ease in the Ertiga.

As far as glass area goes, yes I feel the Mobilio is probably more Airy. That's due to the large glass and light colours. The fabric of the Ertiga is extremely dull and drag. Or maybe the TD car of Ertiga is that old now so the age is showing :-)
Old 18th October 2014, 08:59   #140
BHPian

And in Sept, Ertiga has toppled Mobilio in sales by a margin. I saw Mobilio few times on Bangalore roads. Looks a little odd from the side.

My bet would be, if Petrol it is Mobilio ONLY FOR the GEM of the engine and if Diesel it should be Ertiga because of the following reasons :-

1) Honda diesel is noisy and although without turbo lag, I felt it short of thrill and gearbox also not that exciting (personal opinion)
vs
Ertiga diesel is refined and refined and refined version of the MJD ever since its launch in 2007-08 (exact yr i forgot). Most times it feels like petrol in terms on NVH while inside.

2) Honda petrol is a breeze
vs
Ertiga petrol is sluggish and not inspiring

3) Petrol price vs diesel is now favoring the former.

4) People take Honda for quality (and premium feel) and not lack of it
vs
Ertiga, the best Maruti till date (I have owned Esteem, Swift Diesel and now Ertiga since Sept 2013). 19000 kms and no vibrations or rattling.

5) Ertiga looks a better vehicle to me
vs
Mobilio from side and front looks bad but rear is awesome

6) From reviews third row is bad in Mobilio
vs
Ertiga is decent in third row. May be odd but my 5 foot Mom likes to travel long in Ertiga 3rd row than my brothers Innova's third row.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 18th October 2014 at 09:28.
Old 18th October 2014, 12:37   #141
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

4) People take Honda for quality (and premium feel) and not lack of it
vs
Ertiga, the best Maruti till date (I have owned Esteem, Swift Diesel and now Ertiga since Sept 2013). 19000 kms and no vibrations or rattling.
Well yes, city created that impression, but this segment is different. But yes, honda mobilio is significantly overpriced for what it offers.

Quote:

5) Ertiga looks a better vehicle to me
vs
Mobilio from side and front looks bad but rear is awesome
I love the mobilio's looks. But this a purely a personal opinion and is highly debatable.

Quote:

6) From reviews third row is bad in Mobilio
vs
Ertiga is decent in third row. May be odd but my 5 foot Mom likes to travel long in Ertiga 3rd row than my brothers Innova's third row.
Both these cars have third row suitable only for children and 5 foot adults. That said, Ertiga's access is bad. Mobilio has better access, but the Innova's third row is in a different world.
Old 30th October 2014, 23:21   #142
BANNED

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a ertiga zdi , zdi because of the seat height adjustment feature.

Now i am in a big confusion, i will definitely sell this vehicle in a years time due to my personal ambitions to relocate to somewhere in north.

so should i buy a new one @ 9.8L (7 yrs SBI loan @ 10.45 % ) or second hand ones for 7.5 - 7.75L (4yrs personal loan @ 14.5%). i want to know which one will save me more money and depreciate less???

it would be great if you all can give me your suggestions
Old 31st October 2014, 03:25   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a ertiga zdi , zdi because of the seat height adjustment feature.

Now i am in a big confusion, i will definitely sell this vehicle in a years time due to my personal ambitions to relocate to somewhere in north.

so should i buy a new one @ 9.8L (7 yrs SBI loan @ 10.45 % ) or second hand ones for 7.5 - 7.75L (4yrs personal loan @ 14.5%). i want to know which one will save me more money and depreciate less???

it would be great if you all can give me your suggestions
Slightly OT, but you mean north India, correct?
If yes, why sell, you can drive around peacefully in north india with a Chennai registered car without worrying about road tax.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:13   #144
BHPian

When I saw the Mobilio, I had a few thoughts cross my mind:
  1. The Ertiga is not the best looker, but save from the side profile and the rear, the Mobilio front is a real let down. Seeing it in my rear view mirror, I have to double check its height to see if its the 4 lakh Brio or 11 lakh Mobilio.
  2. Maruti does not lead the pack when it comes to build quality, and a few years ago one would not have given it a second thought when comparing to Honda. However, things have changed in the recent past with Honda’s strategy of glaring cost cutting. And this is most obvious and glaring with the Mobilio of all the recent Honda launches. One does not have to be an enthusiast to see and note what they are doing with the Mobilio; possibly this has added to the people who cancelled their bookings.
  3. The seats on the Mobilio are appalling in my opinion, not just from the cost cutting and lack of comfort point of view, but also from the safety point of view. Not having adjustable neck rests in car that costs 12 lakhs on road is just a shock, and a defining low for Indian car segment.
  4. The strengths of the Honda are engine, and the side and rear profile. When it comes to the ride and handling, if I recall the various reviews, including Team-bhp official review, the Ertiga was considered better than the Innova by most. Felt the same when I drove the Ertiga. But have not driven the Mobilio yet to make a direct comparison.
I would put my money on the Maruti in this case, and not even consider it a decision which was taken with due consideration (although, admittedly, I am yet to test drive the Mobilio)
Old 31st October 2014, 09:27   #145
Team-BHP Support

Saw a Mobilio upclose yesterday. The seats are wafer thin. I haven't seen such thin foam used on any car, save for the bench seats of the old Maruti Omni!

Will this retain shape over time? The thickest part of the front seat (near the side bolstering) didn't even feel half that of the foam thickness on my Punto.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:56   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Saw a Mobilio upclose yesterday. The seats are wafer thin. I haven't seen such thin foam used on any car, save for the bench seats of the old Maruti Omni!

Will this retain shape over time? The thickest part of the front seat (near the side bolstering) didn't even feel half that of the foam thickness on my Punto.
So far, I think the community has praised Honda, justifiably so, for their brilliant packaging. However, seeing/experiencing the Mobilio and particularly its seats suggests that Honda has gone way to far, almost insanely far when it comes sacrificing comfort for space. That too for a car that costs more than a million bucks ex-showroom!

As a said in earlier post, the (appalling) seats are a major no-no when I think of the Mobilio.
Old 10th November 2014, 02:41   #147
BHPian

And here is a detailed comparison between Ertiga and Mobilio by Autocar India
Old 10th November 2014, 08:26   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
And here is a detailed comparison between Ertiga and Mobilio by Autocar India
Costs a lakh extra?

Ertiga ZDi is 8.49L ex-Delhi, while Mobilio iDTEC V(O) is 10.44L ex-Delhi. Thats almost near 2.5 lakhs in terms of on-road prices considering the extra tax over the 10L barrier in most states.

One can argue that the V(o) should not be considered against Ertiga ZDi, but thats what they have used for comparison and projects the touchscreen and one big advantage, being 'nice and user-friendly'. Team Bhp review says quite the opposite.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:44   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
...4 lakh Brio or 11 lakh Mobilio....
Correction- Brio top end costs 6+ (as you compared Mobilio top-end, 11L).

-BJ
Old 6th January 2015, 23:32   #150
BANNED

Been almost 6 months from the launch of the Mobilio (July - 2014) and the sales figures are not good to look at.

Thanks to the high price as compared to the Ertiga and a few quirks in the car.

All looked good initially but as days/months passed by the sales dipped.

Lesson learnt: Products must not be overpriced w.r.t competition with a gap of almost 1 lakh minimum.

Took the following figures from the Sales Analysis thread:

Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga-untitled.jpg

Now with excise duty lifted, cars would get costlier so the sales could go down further. Honda has to reduce the price if it needs the market share in this segment else Maruti is laughing away to the bank.

The sales of another competitor, Toyota Innova are stable at 5K units per month which is where I expect the Ertiga to settle and hopefully the Mobilio would reach there.

Note: Click on the image to open in a New Tab for a clear view (Better readability).

Thanks.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks