Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:06   #151

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

BHPians,

My friend who is a petro-head just told me that maintaining the Mobilio would be cheaper in the long run. This goes against my understanding that the Maruthi is usually cheaper to service. Can the owners of both give us figures for a better comparison.

Thanks.
-CS
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:49   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter_striker View Post
BHPians,

My friend who is a petro-head just told me that maintaining the Mobilio would be cheaper in the long run. This goes against my understanding that the Maruthi is usually cheaper to service. Can the owners of both give us figures for a better comparison.

Thanks.

-CS

Remains to be seen as none of the Mobilio owners have clocked long distances.

Amaze IDTec has a major expense with brakes where the brake pads wear out within 10k kms and discs within 20k. If the same has not been rectified with the Mobilio- expect some heavy maintenance bills in the long run.

Otherwise, Honda and Suzuki should both be at the same level.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:40   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Remains to be seen as none of the Mobilio owners have clocked long distances.

Amaze IDTec has a major expense with brakes where the brake pads wear out within 10k kms and discs within 20k. If the same has not been rectified with the Mobilio- expect some heavy maintenance bills in the long run.

Otherwise, Honda and Suzuki should both be at the same level.
At 47,500 kms with my Ertiga now, apart from perioidic replacement of Essential liquids and filters, there is absolutely no part that has been replaced even out of normal wear and tear. My brake pads are still stock and from my last update around 45K, it will easily last for another 15 to 20K kms.

There has been no untoward expense otherwise.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:49   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At 47,500 kms with my Ertiga now, apart from perioidic replacement of Essential liquids and filters, there is absolutely no part that has been replaced even out of normal wear and tear. My brake pads are still stock and from my last update around 45K, it will easily last for another 15 to 20K kms.

There has been no untoward expense otherwise.
Well that sort of sums it up for me. I loved the handling and outright power on Mobilio. There was less body roll as well(personal opinion). But apart from these points every other aspect of the Ertiga was a tick for me. Especially ingress and egress. Even from looks, I felt Ertiga looked a lot more classy compared to the Honda.

The only thing I may have to put up with is scratches and dents thanks to the infamous Hyderabadi Driving.
Old 31st July 2015, 20:45   #155
BHPian

Any takers for Petrol MPV in the market?

One day while returning from a regular shopping trip, we felt that now the family has outgrown the car. We are 4 adults + a 3 year old kid. My in-laws and extended family stay in the same city, and sometimes we have the need to move 6-7 adults over a short distance (20-30kms). I sowed the idea of buying a MPV and it was approved. Yippee!

Ok, so the requirements are -
  • Petrol. (The Figo has run 40k in 4 years. And I think my running will stay around the same.)
  • Budget around 10-12l.
  • Figo has 2 air-bags. Since the new car is an upgrade, it should have atleast 2 airbags, if not more.
Thats pretty much it! A petrol car that seats 5 adults comfortably, and is considerably safe.

Now I look at the market -
  • Ertiga
  • Mobilio.
That's it! No other car that meets my criteria.

Not to leave an opportunity, I also TD'ed other cars that come in diesel only. I TD'ed Lodgy, XUV and Aria. I have scratched them off the list for various reasons. Lodgy is still in contention, but it comes to 13l OTR in Hyd. I would have picked this if it was in my budget (or in Petrol).

Ok, so now I come to Mobilio. I had not-so-high hopes after reading the the Official Team-BHP review. I think I set the expectations so low that after the TD I was not dissapointed. The simple dash was an eye-sore, the cost cutting was very evident, but the 1.5L iVTec engine was a major +ve. It was very well within the budget, and it appeared that I was falling for it. But. There is always a But. One day my parents called a cab, and here comes a Mobilio (Diesel though). This car had run 40k in 3 years, and it was not in a great shape. Lots of rattles. And the driver didn't mince words when my father asked him his opinion. Alas, here goes the Honda off my list.

Now I am left with Ertiga. Two major -ves. 1) I don't like the looks. Scratch that. I hate the looks. 2) It's a Maruti.

Anyway, I don't see a Petrol MPV launching very soon. So the plan now is to buy a pre-owned Petrol Ertiga Zxi that has run <15k Kms. I am hoping I'll get one for 7l or so. Run it for another 20k Kms in the next 2-3 years. Hopefully, by then there should be more options in the market. I'll then sell this and buy a "better" car.

Anything you would like to suggest? Do you feel I am missing something? Are there really only 2 cars that meet my modest criteria?

Last edited by shifu : 31st July 2015 at 20:47.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 21:05   #156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any takers for Petrol MPV in the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
we have the need to move 6-7 adults over a short distance (20-30kms). I sowed the idea of buying a MPV and it was approved. Yippee!
Ok, how many times do you have 6-7 people wanting to go together? If you use it a few times, is it not easier to hire an 8 seater Innova/Tavera? So that you can travel 7+1?

Also think of hiring a self drive rental like Zoomcar/Myles.

If you use it once/very few times a month, I think you would be better of hiring a car for those particular trips.

Work out the economics. You will spend on hiring a car, but you will also save buying a sedan with good FE.

Quote:
Ok, so the requirements are -
  • Petrol. (The Figo has run 40k in 4 years. And I think my running will stay around the same.)
  • Budget around 10-12l.
  • Figo has 2 air-bags. Since the new car is an upgrade, it should have atleast 2 airbags, if not more.
Thats pretty much it! A petrol car that seats 5 adults comfortably, and is considerably safe.
If you want to seat 5, why buy a MPV?

For spacious 5 seater, there's Jazz, City, Ciaz, i20.

The city SV would be a good choice as it has a decent list of features and is well loaded. Ciaz is also a great car, but with a lesser power.

Quote:

Ok, so now I come to Mobilio....This car had run 40k in 3 years...

Now I am left with Ertiga. Two major -ves. 1) I don't like the looks. Scratch that. I hate the looks. 2) It's a Maruti.
Correction, the mobilio was launched in 2014 only.

The mobilio's dashboard is really basic. If you want to feel better about the interior, go check out the etios.

The Ertiga is spacious depending on how you use the third row. It's a good car, but with I've heard that the petrol isn't impressive.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 09:42   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

You could look at a petrol innova in that range, though the vintage may be more.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 12:33   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Now I look at the market -
  • Ertiga
  • Mobilio.
That's it! No other car that meets my criteria.
Hyundai has a MPV on its way. Don't know the exact launch date, but you could wait if your requirement for a new car is not urgent.
charlessuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 13:38   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You could look at a petrol innova in that range, though the vintage may be more.
Yes! The petrol Innova is F-A-S-T!
my friend's brother owns one and it is kinda like a sleeper MPV!
Ofcourse his petrol bills are entirely paid by the office and he is one happy man!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 05:37   #160
BHPian

Quote:
One day my parents called a cab, and here comes a Mobilio (Diesel though). This car had run 40k in 3 years, and it was not in a great shape. Lots of rattles. And the driver didn't mince words when my father asked him his opinion. Alas, here goes the Honda off my list.
Are you sure about above . If the driver was using the car for 3 years it could not have been a mobilio . It was not even launched back then.

And if its not a mobilio that you experienced that day then your judgement would go wrong.

If the need for a 7 seater is just once in a while you could rather rent an Innova , than but a vehicle for taking care of casual need.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 04:23   #161
Senior - BHPian

The most practical choice IMO would be to, as others have suggested, look out for a used Petrol Innova you will absolutely love it and it is the perfect excuse to avoid all the cut-price MPVs like the Ertiga, Mobilio etc. which are all bound to disappoint you in some way or the other.

Slightly more off-beat radical options would be to look out for a used Mercedes R-Class. Recently saw a 2010 model that had done merely 40000 kms going for about 15 lakhs. Or a Volvo XC90 saw one in brilliant condition going for 16 lakhs. Both of these are expensive vehicles and will require you to devote time and learn more about the cars unless you don't mind being ripped off by the authorised service centers, however, they are probably the only options this side 50 lakhs, which would seat 7 in supreme comfort and look stylish while doing so as well. Proper family cars that don't ask you to sacrifice your ego to drive them.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd August 2015 at 04:25.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:05   #162
Senior - BHPian

As others have suggested, if you do not need a 6+ seater regularly, better hire an Innova when you need one.

What prompted you to select a petrol MPV. Petrol MPV will drink fuel (generally twice that of the diesel version), that is why preference for diesel. The most VFM MUV for 5+ passengers is the Innova diesel. For smaller load the Ertiga.

If you want petrol and a 5 seater, I would recommend the Honda City. My City consumes less petrol than my K10 in B2B traffic, and even on highways it is 17 kpl vs 20 for Alto.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:49   #163
BHPian

Quote:

Anything you would like to suggest? Do you feel I am missing something? Are there really only 2 cars that meet my modest criteria?
If you still feel you need to buy a new vehicle then as a few members have suggested, why not look at a used petrol innova?

My uncle bought one recently it is a 10year old vehicle(i.e from the very first batches-2005) run 55k kms for 3.75L. When I drove the car it was very quite and it was extremely powerful. It defines a sleeper MUV( at least in India). Since it was a 10 year old vehicle he had to spend on new tyres, brake shoes and a general service. But at the end of the day he had the biggest petrol MUV for which he paid lesser than what he paid for his swift new. So if you're Ok with a pre-owned car look out for the innova.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:05   #164
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs. It is much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Ok, how many times do you have 6-7 people wanting to go together? If you use it a few times, is it not easier to hire an 8 seater Innova/Tavera? So that you can travel 7+1?

Also think of hiring a self drive rental like Zoomcar/Myles.

If you use it once/very few times a month, I think you would be better of hiring a car for those particular trips.

Work out the economics. You will spend on hiring a car, but you will also save buying a sedan with good FE.
Its not the economics. The need to ferry 5-6 adults doesn't come up in an organized manner. If I plan to go out for a outing with the family then I can plan before hand and rent out a car. But most of the times the need is ad-hoc. Like going to a marraige, a social gathering, shopping, etc.

Quote:
If you want to seat 5, why buy a MPV?

For spacious 5 seater, there's Jazz, City, Ciaz, i20.

The city SV would be a good choice as it has a decent list of features and is well loaded. Ciaz is also a great car, but with a lesser power.
I am not so keep on a sedan right now because of the above reason.

Quote:

Correction, the mobilio was launched in 2014 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Are you sure about above . If the driver was using the car for 3 years it could not have been a mobilio . It was not even launched back then.

And if its not a mobilio that you experienced that day then your judgement would go wrong.
My bad. I didn't realize this when my father said this was a 3 year old car. Now to think of it, a car that has run 40k in 1 year as a cab is bound to have issues. Something for me to chew upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
If you still feel you need to buy a new vehicle then as a few members have suggested, why not look at a used petrol innova?

My uncle bought one recently it is a 10year old vehicle(i.e from the very first batches-2005) run 55k kms for 3.75L. When I drove the car it was very quite and it was extremely powerful. It defines a sleeper MUV( at least in India). Since it was a 10 year old vehicle he had to spend on new tyres, brake shoes and a general service. But at the end of the day he had the biggest petrol MUV for which he paid lesser than what he paid for his swift new. So if you're Ok with a pre-owned car look out for the innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Yes! The petrol Innova is F-A-S-T!
my friend's brother owns one and it is kinda like a sleeper MPV!
Ofcourse his petrol bills are entirely paid by the office and he is one happy man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The most practical choice IMO would be to, as others have suggested, look out for a used Petrol Innova you will absolutely love it and it is the perfect excuse to avoid all the cut-price MPVs like the Ertiga, Mobilio etc. which are all bound to disappoint you in some way or the other.
I didn't know Innova was available in Petrol as well. I don't want something that is 10 years old though. Any idea on when was the last batch of Petrol Innovas released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlessuresh View Post
Hyundai has a MPV on its way. Don't know the exact launch date, but you could wait if your requirement for a new car is not urgent.
The launch date is 2016, and don't know if they'll have a petrol version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Slightly more off-beat radical options would be to look out for a used Mercedes R-Class. Recently saw a 2010 model that had done merely 40000 kms going for about 15 lakhs. Or a Volvo XC90 saw one in brilliant condition going for 16 lakhs. Both of these are expensive vehicles and will require you to devote time and learn more about the cars unless you don't mind being ripped off by the authorised service centers, however, they are probably the only options this side 50 lakhs, which would seat 7 in supreme comfort and look stylish while doing so as well. Proper family cars that don't ask you to sacrifice your ego to drive them.
Sounds sweet! But I am sure when I suggest this at home, the first question is going to be 'Kitna deti hai?' . A mileage of 5-6kmpl would certainly get shot down. But this is a very nice option. I'll keep an eye out for these two cars (R-Class, XC90). Any other car in this class that I should also consider?

Last edited by shifu : 3rd August 2015 at 13:26.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:08   #165
BHPian

Hi Shifu,
I own Mobilio RS - it only comes in diesel. brought in March this year and i am very happy with the same.
I wanted to buy Mobilio Petrol, but the RS variant. I had to buy Diesel as RS did not have petrol variant.
I had test driven Mobilio petrol and I was very impressed. My wife also liked it more than Diesel. Only due to looks, we had to go for diesel.
You can go with Honda Mobilio Petrol - go for top end V if possible for you. It will be a joy for long time.
I did not have any issues with Mobilio so far, no rattles etc. Dont compare with a taxi - we all know how good are cabbies with maintenance.
Regards,
Abhishek
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks