Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2014, 11:16   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

Been to Honda showroom for a friend who is booking mobilio. Interestingly I saw that a lot of women like the mobilio. I have an ertiga which I believe is much more cleaner in design and quality of build. But mobilio actually appeals to a lot of Indians who like cars a bit jazzy. Generally people who would buy a 7 str are family folks who might also have another car. So women have upper hand here. Plus the Honda brand is like a dream to many (not sure why). These are good enough reasons for mobilio to sell good numbers.
Personally I felt the quality was compromised overall. The plastics not up to standards and seating felt like bench seats. The rear wheel well (pls notice) has a large naked bolt protruding out. Not sure how such details are missed by designers.
chaxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 11:55   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Plus the Honda brand is like a dream to many (not sure why). These are good enough reasons for mobilio to sell good numbers.
I agree with your other points but people are no more brand conscious. That is clear by Swift sells far more than Brio and Dzire sells far more than Amaze.

I did a basic overall comparison between the two Muv's.

The basics of the Mobilo are stronger with better engine option's , better handling and more space inside. But it loses out on the over all package with the Ertiga. Honda loses out on few minor glitches. Like fit and finish, dull interiors. Honda should have learn't the lesson from there own Brio. Indian's look for over all packages not a vehicle which excels in some and is a dud on other aspects. Till date no car only with an excellent engine/handling got high sales below 10 lacks. Take the sales chart from the good old Palio 1.6 to the latest Polo Tsi. The complete package is the Swift and its sales chart speak a volume about it.

The 1.5 Liter Honda engine's can be more fun to drive than the Ertiga but again why Honda gave a speed restriction to 140? I understand 140 is more than enough for Muv's and specially in India but still it can be a mental barrier for few. But till that limit am sure the Honda will be definitely more fun to drive than the Ertiga. Its just the launch, if Honda can address the fit and finish issues with a more attractive interior it has got a fair chances against Ertiga. I keep on telling to attract the mass market one needs an over all package.

In a restaurant on a Sunday evening we prefer buffet with rs xxx per person rather than eating the selective items in an alakarte and paying more than buffet. Its simple buffet offers a complete package from starters to desserts.

But at the end i must confess i like cars with better engine and handling than an over all package. As if i look for a car with better engine, handling + nice interiors it will be above my budget. So i have to settle with one. As just because i love driving i ignore the interiors and other aspects. For me its like the grapes are sour. So the 50th vote for the Mobilo goes from me.

Last edited by Samba : 26th July 2014 at 12:06.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv_2_drive View Post
Looks like its best time for Hyundai to jump into the party, purely for the following reasons:
1. Considering both Ertiga and Mobilio, their interiors are ought to be better (keeping Hyundai's history in mind)
2. They are always good at pricing their products.
3. After Maruti after-sales, it is Hyundai which enjos the most confidence among the crowd in India.
4. In 90% of the cases, their cars are more pleasure to look at than the competitors.

Come on Hyundai, bring some competition to the park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Excellent point. They can study the two cars and custom create a product that provides the best possible combination of required features, flexibility, looks, service peace of mind and right pricing. And given their track record and skill sets this is not something they cannot achieve.

Their typical down sides are poor handling, dull to drive and not the best ride quality.

They'll only have to make extra effort on getting the ride quality right. The other two aspects in this segment of car should not be deal breakers.
What an excellent proposal liv_2_drive and Axe77 and many thanks for bringing that up. Though it is a bit off-topic here, but wonder why Hyundai is not venturing in this segment. Besides the above mentioned plus points by you in favour of Hyundai, how can we forget the very competent and refined 1.6 CRDi, which produces 128ps of power and 265Nm of torque. It also has a 6 speed transmission. A people mover with the above engine specs, better interiors, will just blow away the Ertiga and Mobilio in one sweeping shot even if they price it at par with the Mobilio.

We don't have any scoops, neither any indications of Hyundai's future plans. How can a company like Hyundai afford to miss such a fantastic opportunity?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:20   #79
Team-BHP Support

This has become a tough one thanks to Honda's pricing. It was a no brainer before the prices were out. The Mobilio has better powertrains with improved performance and efficiency, space management is much better with the extra boot space plus 50:50 split 3rd row and finally well sorted dynamics. That's pretty much an unbeatable package.

Unfortunately the 1.25 lakhs price delta between Ertiga negates most of the positives of the Mobilio. With the Mobilio's compromise in fit, finish and quality this 1.25L price delta is even more glaring.

If my budget permitted I would probably choose the Mobilio, but it would be by the slimmest of margins. If I was looking for VFM I would choose the Ertiga hands down.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th July 2014 at 12:44. Reason: fixed typo
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Unfortunately the 1.25 lakhs price delta between Ertiga negates most of the positives of the Ertiga. With the Mobilio's compromise in fit, finish and quality this 1.25L price delta is even more glaring.
Not nitpicking here Vidyut, but when you said, "Unfortunately the 1.25 lakhs price delta between Ertiga negates most of the positives of the Ertiga", I believe you meant to say, "negates most of the positives of the Mobilio". Correct me if I am wrong.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:44   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Not nitpicking here Vidyut, but when you said, "Unfortunately the 1.25 lakhs price delta between Ertiga negates most of the positives of the Ertiga", I believe you meant to say, "negates most of the positives of the Mobilio". Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes yes Mobilio. Fixed it now. Thanks. I got confused typing Mobilio and Ertiga so many times in one sentence
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 13:35   #82
BHPian

Folks- During a quick test drive of the mobilio V- IDTEC yesterday i was able to rev above 2000 rpm at a standstill.Did not get to test the electronically restricted limit of 140 kmph though. Is someone able to confirm if these restriction have made it to production?
Caadmara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 15:14   #83
BHPian

Honda does a Jazz again. Honda City all of a sudden seems so VFM with its premium interiors. With this pricing does it mean that Jazz with it's 1.2Ltr engine will be priced below Mobilio?
Old 26th July 2014, 20:42   #84
BHPian

When i bought Ertiga for my parents, one consistent feedback i went by was that the MJD would be refined enough for a long time. Drove a few swifts of friends who did 1.5 lacs and still engine was as good as new in terms of refinement nvh etc. So i believed the general feedback. On the iDtec i have got feedback from two of my Amaze(ing) friends that the engine is bit harsh and may become more as it gathers more miles. Not sure if anyone actually used the iDtec for over 1 lacs till now. Interested to know that because with 7 strs you will easily clock miles. unlike petrol engines, diesels will lose their initial refinement/NVH levels post 30-40K kms . It would be a disaster if the engine runs like a tracter after 50K.

Last edited by chaxy : 26th July 2014 at 20:45.
Old 26th July 2014, 23:42   #85

Polls may not always be reflecting the actual comparison between the entities compared. The vote count (and the huge difference in the number of votes) in this poll cannot mean that Ertiga is such a great vehicle and Mobilio is an utter flop.

What we can see here is that many of those who was waiting for Mobilio are disappointed as it doesn't meet their expectations (by quality and pricing) and voted against Mobilio. The expectations were that much, even forgetting that it is a Brio based vehicle.

And those who own an Ertiga and wanted to show (or may be convince themselves) that their decision was not wrong, voted for Ertiga (with a sigh of relief ).

Over all these, this is India and Ertiga is a Martuti product. As someone rightly said here, where in this world can you see Suzuki and Hyundai leading the sales charts!!
Old 27th July 2014, 00:04   #86
BHPian

Went for a test drive of the Mobilio today @ Crystal Honda, on Mumbai-Bangalore highway, Pune, and here is what I thought:

Before I start - I test drove the iDtec Mobilio, and I have an Ertiga VDi which I bought in June last week. I naturally compared it with Ertiga and I will only put my experience, and points that I felt strongly about or those I didn't already read in this forum. Although, after the very detailed review, there is very little left to be said

First impressions: It looks good. Not to my tastes, but it does look good. My apprehensions about the disproportionate design, and stubby bonnet were slightly misplaced, and its not that bad after all. Rear is a stunner by MPV standards

Exteriors:
  • Its not very tall
  • Front overhang is less than the rear one
  • Lots of asymmetrical creases on the side
  • very similar to Brio/Amaze till half of the rear door

Build
  • Doors close with a clunk, not a thud. Seems thinly built compared to Ertiga, nowhere near as solid as a Vento (two cars we have)
  • The plastic rear bumper is extremely thin. Even gently pressing it with your finger, and it goes inside
  • Some of the plastics on the demo car were already loose (and this was not the TD vehicle). The plastic around rails of the middle bench were shaking badly
  • The fabric seat cover of the middle seat's base, when viewed from behind (from 3rd row) was rough, and looked unfinished, compared to the front part
  • The cladding on the inside part of the boot lid was coming off

Interiors
  • You have to sit down while getting in. Driving position is lower than other MUVs
  • From the driver's seat its a Brio with a tall and thin gear stick
  • It is airy inside
  • Legroom/knee-room in all rows is generous, but all seats are closer to the floor, compared to their respective counterparts in Ertiga
  • front seats not as comfortable as Ertiga's
  • middle bench is lower compared to Ertiga's and under thigh support is not as generous. But the extra legroom kind of makes up for it
  • Last row is very low, and the seat base has very less depth. You sit on your bums, with thighs in the air and knees pointing at the ceiling (I am 5.8' tall)
  • Moving the middle row forward makes it slightly better (but this is only available in top end V)

TD Experience (It was a short one but here is what I thought)
  • I found the engine noise intrudes inside more than Ertiga's and its not as free revving
  • Turbo lag is lower than Ertiga's and I thought the car has sufficient torque from 1500 RPM. I could easily touch 100 fairly quickly
  • Steering not very confidence inspiring at high speeds, I prefer the Ertiga's steering here
  • The ride quality is on the firmer side. I also sat on the last row for some time and found that its more noticeable over there (we were only three in the car. Maybe when loaded, it gets better)
  • It seemed that, with full load, the car will remain stable, and the rear will not bounce on road undulations (Ertiga's 3rd row bouncier than the middle and front, but ride is more absorbent, overall)

Prices
I was interested in the S variant and I was comparing it with the VDi variant of the Ertiga. There is a whopping 1 LAKH rupee difference between Ertiga VDi (including discount of 18000) and Mobilio iDtec S

Here are on road prices for Mobilio, all variants, for Pune and PCMC region, Maharashtra
Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga-_20140726_221905.jpg

Other observations
  • There was a huge crowd, everyone had come to see the Mobilio
  • There were two demo cars and two TD cars, one each of pertol and diesel, all in top end V trim
  • This was the first time when I had to wait in queue to test drive a car (I was fourth in line for the diesel)
  • SE said they already received 110 bookings before the official launch
  • When I asked him about why I should go for the Mobilio, instead of the Ertiga when there is a lakh rupee difference, he said this (which I think sums up the extent of thought Honda put in before deciding the prices) - Honda is Honda sir, its prestigious.
  • He did talk about bigger engines, more legroom, more boot space, better quality, better reliability, better safety, better fuel economy etc. when giving the test drive and comparing his product with the Ertiga. But all this was before we discussed the prices
  • He also said that they are in direct competition with Ertiga. He also mentioned the Innova once
  • SE presented it as a seven seater, not a 5 + 2. Even the brochure declares it as a 7 seater
  • The deliveries are supposed to start from next month, but he wasn't sure how the waiting periods are going to be
  • They were already out of brochures that contained specifications and were handing out xerox copies
  • He said he morning was a mad rush (I went in the afternoon)
KedarB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 01:42   #87

Re: Honda Mobilio V/s Chevrolet Enjoy

The thread was merged I guess, I would hope to be notified in such cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwali View Post
I know a thing or two about cars, but I need some advice. We need a car that can double up as family tourer....

Again, budget is no real issue, but we can surely do without spending un-necessarily.
Thanks guys, for suggestions. We finally decided to pick the Xylo H8.

Actually the only part creating confusion was the 'Drive-To-Office' car. Well, we've decided to try the Nano Twist for office/short in-city commutes.

After checking out the Xylo, IMHO 12L for a Mobilio seemed senseless. I guess anyone looking to properly seat 6 adults/4A+3K, shouldn't compromise with the Mobilio/Maruti/(even)Enjoy .

Company salesmen or even Reviewers ('Experts') may say you can seat 6/7 in the car (and you might even feel its fine during a Test Drive), but Proper 3rd Row seats are IMO THE most relieving things to have for travelling long journeys in any decent comfort.
Old 27th July 2014, 16:08   #88
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
i was able to rev above 2000 rpm at a standstill
I don't think it's there on the Mobilio as a couple of other people have reported your observation. Removed that part from my official review.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 18:27   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
Here are on road prices for Mobilio, all variants, for Pune and PCMC region, Maharashtra
Yikes! Those OTR prices are really, REALLY steep!

I agree that the Mobilio targets a different segment of customers but considering all points and the product on offer, that's unjustifiable pricing, IMO. Suddenly the Honda City top variants look very VFM, and it's like Honda is purposefully asking plenty extra for those two extra 3rd row seats.

Someone coughing up 12L+ for the top variant and have to live with the Brio dials and dash is bound to be disappointed. But you never know. Over 6000 bookings already and an 85:15 split in favor of the diesel model - if Honda delivers even 4000 of those, the car would be a superhit.

But, make no mistake about it, owners of the lower variants would be a more contented lot than the ones going for the higher ones. This just highlights how far the paying customer is willing to go for the badge alone, all other factors notwithstanding.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th July 2014 at 18:28.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 20:20   #90
BHPian

I voted for the Ertiga- with my cheque book, just booked the Zxi!!
I have been waiting for the Mobilio to launch as i am looking for a car for us i.e a family of 4 and my parents.
Went with the wife and 2 kids to see and test drive both vehicles on the same day. We visited Dakshin Honda and RNS Motors on Hosur Road, Bangalore.
The Mobilio first- a good sized crowd at the dealers with people swarming over the car and you had to wait your turn to get a chance of checking out the seating!! All of us liked the external appearance- especially my son. It looks rather large and like the Innova. Front seats were comfortable enough but the front fascia is pathetic- looks worthy of the nano or Maruti 800 and not a 11 lakh car!! The so called USB adaptor is a 10 rupee connector hanging loose from a wire! Ridiculous
Second row also felt reasonably comfortable with good leg room. However the seat is quite narrow- if and my wife tried to sit with our 8 year old in between its a snug fit- somehow don't see 3 adults being very comfortable.
The 3rd row is a breeze to get into but pretty bad once you are there. Uncomfortable seating position with really no thigh support. The speakers are also right next to you.
Next went for a test drive after a 20 minute wait. Test drive was in the top line petrol model but is limited to less than 1 km along the service road- very inadequate. Apparently Honda have too many people wanting a test drive. The car drives well and the steering wheel feels really good. Was chatting to the salesperson who told me the top line petrol model is 12.7 lakhs on the road in Bangalore- i was shocked!!! The printed pricing sheet lists it at 11.14 lakhs- had to show it to the salesperson to confirm after which he promptly retracted his previous statement. Overall not a very confidence inspiring test drive.

Promptly drove down to RNS motors to test drive the Ertiga on the same day. Reached there by 5:15pm and met the very helpful Mr Annaiya who has shown me the Ertiga twice before!! Certainly no crowds at RNS motors and we got to test drive the Zxi almost immediately. My wife's first comments as soon as she tried the second row seats was how much more comfortable they were. The kids were in the third row and very happy with the arm rest, seatbelts etc. The test drive in a 19,500km car itself was perfectly adequate and felt no way inferior to the Honda which had done 169 km. The entire experience and appearance of the front fascia was of a completely different segment from the Honda.
Finally the pricing- Zxi on the road with alloy wheels is Rs 9.22 lakhs- a whole 2 lakhs less than the Mobilio for a much more comfortable and tried and tested vehicle.
We went ahead and paid a booking amount.
Hope to receive the car before the end of the week!!
As an aside most of the discussion i overheard at the Honda showroom appeared to be about people comparing the Mobilio to the Innova- unfavourably so.
Mods- i am posting an almost identical post in the Mobilio thread- please delete it from either place if you feel it breaks any rules.
rudraksh2005 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks