Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2014, 19:50   #121
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

Both cars were designed by lazy, unimaginative design engineers. Whats with the take it or leave it attitude regards seats? I have decided against the Mobilio, purely for its seats, terrible is a word.

Heres my problem, I travel with my family say 15-20% of the time, out of which only 50% is with heavy luggage and out of which only 50% of the time I have a chaueffeur. This means the supposed flexibility of seats will only come into play abt 5% of the time. Why would I choose the worlds cheapest car seats having paid 1MM INR and that offer zero customizability. Innova sells as Toyota recognised the most desirable wants and needs of a MPV much earlier than the competitors and in some cases even the consumer.

I would like a 20L MPV with all the bells and whistles a la XUV, but with compact dimensiosnns of thr Mobilio.

Psst Hyundai, are you listening?
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 10:03   #122
BHPian

Looks like Mobilio is making some serious impact to the utility vehicle market in India:
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-mobi...source=taboola

Mind you, the petrol engine in Mobilio and City is one of the best in business. Apart from this, though the gap between diesel and petrol prices are narrowing still diesel Mobilio is overwhelmingly preferred in India, for reasons I cannot fully comprehend easily.
Old 31st August 2014, 10:38   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
still diesel Mobilio is overwhelmingly preferred in India, for reasons I cannot fully comprehend easily.
I know prices are narrowing between the two fossil fuels but I feel that diesel engines will hold a upper hand for the below characteristics:

a) Drive ability (thanks to the torque),

b) Range,

c) Fuel Economy,

d) Long term running costs.

Diesel engines are forgiving. They help the driver and cover the mistakes whereas petrol engines need to be driven a bit better.

The only petrol engine I like currently is the 1.2 TSI thanks to DSG.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 10:59   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I feel that diesel engines will hold a upper hand for the below characteristics:

a) Drive ability (thanks to the torque),

b) Range,

c) Fuel Economy,

d) Long term running costs.
Long term running cost? I thought that diesels require higher maintenance compared to petrol counterparts.
Old 31st August 2014, 11:09   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Long term running cost? I thought that diesels require higher maintenance compared to petrol counterparts.
I will say "Yes" if the running is high to really 'use' that diesel heart underneath. If running is low then it is a petrol car that should be bought, else a diesel.

Anurag.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:30   #126
BHPian

An article on IAB says that Mobilio has overtaken Ertiga in August sales.

Quoting from the article -

"
Honda sold 5,530 units of the Mobilio whereas Maruti sold 5,491 units of the Eritga, Grand Vitara and Gypsy combined.
"

Assuming that the Vitara + Gypsy sales number is very small, the gap is pretty small. Still, looking at the poll results and the overall tone of discussion on this forum, and my personal opinion on the topic, this came as a bit of a surprise.

Is this the initial euphoria? Or will this sustain?

Link to the source
Old 7th September 2014, 00:59   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
An article on IAB says that Mobilio has overtaken Ertiga in August sales......
Is this the initial euphoria? Or will this sustain?

Link to the source
Yes, surprising indeed, and yes, probably those initial 10-15k bookings will ensure next few months the figure will stay around 5k.

Real comparison starts 6 months down the line i guess!

But one thing for sure, ground reality is not looking as bad as this poll maybe?!

I just now read this news:

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/08/m...in-peru-142277

IAB Report – India-made Maruti Ertiga launched in Peru with an AT

Maruti have started exporting the Ertiga MPV to Peru, as the compact people mover was launched in the South American country last week. For that market, only the petrol variant of the Ertiga is sold, powered by the same 1.4-liter four-cylinder K-Series engine which out 94 bhp at 6,000 rpm and 130 Nm of torque at 4,000 rpm.

The drive is sent to the front wheels via a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic gearbox. Only two variants of the Ertiga are available in Peru – GL MT and GL AT. They’re priced at 47,572 Sol (INR 10.15 lakhs) and 50,372 Sol (INR 10.75 lakhs) respectively. The car is available in a total of six exterior color choices.

As I had mentioned in some of my previous posts, same Ertiga automatic is already being manufactured here in India and exported to Indonesia and / or Thailand etc.

Now can someone please explain why a car, manufactured right here in India, is not even offered as an option to Indian customers, but exported overseas?

I am really surprised, to say the least, so any clarity would be hugely welcome!

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2014 at 12:46. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 8th September 2014, 08:30   #128
BHPian

Ertiga for me over a Mobilio.

I booked and received an Ertiga over the weekend.

Mobilio is good if you want space to keep stuff but are not interested much in people comfort. With Ertiga I am missing boot space, foldable 3rd row seats etc. But once people are seated it is a lot more comfortable and that is what matters finally for me.

As a driver, I just couldn't find a good fit in the Mobilio. The seats are lacking in thigh support. Also knees were pointing upwards irrespective of seat adjustment. I would have been very uncomfortable driving the Mobilio.

I don't care much if my vegetable bags and kid's pram are comfortable in the boot, but I want my passengers to be. :-)

Pricing is not a concern for me, so I am not looking at that angle at all.
Overall, the Ertiga is the better package as far as a people carrier goes.

Last edited by herculesksp : 8th September 2014 at 08:32.
Old 9th September 2014, 19:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga all the way.

I am sorry Honda, you blew it up with the Pricing itself. Mobilio costs around 1.4 Lakhs OTR over Ertiga same model. Oh really ???

Excellent post. Covered all the aspects and Ertiga topples Mobilio in every aspect big time. Everything feels a bit better in Ertiga. Especially the interiors and the features are premium. Yet when it comes to pricing, Honda thinks thay can get away with 1L price. May be a buffer for future discounts isnt it ?

Here are the only people or target base for Mobilio

1. Those wanting Petrol engines. (Ertiga petrol is very good engine. If Ciaz petrol sells well, Maruti might be able to attract ertiga petrol customers as well). But MObilio petrol comes with the 1.5 iVtech from Honda city which is like the god of petrol engines.

2. Those who are blinded by the Honda badge and dont see anything else

Honda has just given Maruti ample time now to re-think about the next iteration of Ertiga and even if they add features such as projector head lamps, Split 3rd seats, ACC etc Still Ertiga will end up being cheaper than Mobilio
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:42   #130
BHPian

A blog in Autocar about the 'unsafe' rear seats in these MPVs.

Just inches Away
Old 10th September 2014, 13:23   #131
BHPian

I have been in market for about six months checking out various options available for compact SUVs, MPVs etc. I have test driven Duster, Ecosport, Etios Cross, Quanto, Xylo, Ertiga and Mobilio and finally went ahead and booked Mobilio.

My reasons to choose Mobilio over Ertiga are as below :

Drive comfort is a lot better than Ertiga. Since It will be self driven vehicle hence this was a major factor for me.

Interior of Mobilio feels airy and open compared to closed/packed Ertiga.
Since my reason to switch over from a sedan to MPV was space flexibility offered by MPVs, Mobilio scored better than Ertiga here.
Larger boot space than Ertiga

FE is better than Ertiga

Mobilio's exterior design is a lot better than Ertiga and gives a premium feel.

(Ertiga offers better seats than mobilio and a slightly better looking dashboard)
Old 10th September 2014, 13:54   #132
BHPian

I myself am a Honda fan, have both city and a brio. However I have to admit that i didnt like Mobilio and its pricing. The front, the interiors, dashboard, seat quality, consoles, etc. etc. are fine for a hatchback like Brio, but not so good for an expensive MPV like Mobilio, which btw is costing as much as an XUV base model. If I was in the market for buying an MPV, I would have rather bought an XUV W4, might not be a fair comparison here but thats me. Otherwise Ertiga wins.
Old 10th September 2014, 14:21   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
I

How is Mobilio more airy? I thought Ertiga is taller and possibly has more airy cabin. Is it because of the thinner seats in Mobilio which liberate more space?
Old 10th September 2014, 15:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
How is Mobilio more airy? I thought Ertiga is taller and possibly has more airy cabin. Is it because of the thinner seats in Mobilio which liberate more space?

Mobilio feels more airy and spacious than ertiga since it has a large glass area. Thin sheets? It didn't feel so to me.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:06   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
My reasons to choose Mobilio over Ertiga are as below :

Drive comfort is a lot better than Ertiga. Since It will be self driven vehicle hence this was a major factor for me.

Surprising but I feel the exact opposite. No offence though.

AFAIK, the Ertiga stands taller than the Mobilio with a higher seating and L.A.R.G.E windows all round yielding a larger green-house area hence better visibility. Better the visibility the ease of driving is better. The higher seating makes things upright so lesser strain on the body.

The Ertiga is a well-packed car (interiors) as compared to the Mobilio.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks