Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 22:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

In my opinion, there should be an option 'None of the above'.
Yes, the Mobilio's pricing and cost cutting measures have done a big favour to the Suzuki, but I hope some other manufacturer pick these cues and come up with a more accomplished product in this segment.
Old 24th July 2014, 22:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga it is for me too. My fiance bought the Brio last October, if Mobilio is a derivative of Brio, its definitely not worth the extra money. The panel gaps of her Brio are too wide in some places, the glass shudders first, every time it rolls up or down, it also moves like a loose tooth about to come off. Overall she does not feel robust. The MRF tyres are too bad. The metal thickness was pretty evident when she brushed her car with a pillar in office parking. The whole door just crumpled like a piece of paper. Engine/mileage is the best part though.

I think all these qualities will be inherited by the Mobilio as well.

One more point, these Honda dashboards do not have those extra AC vents which throw air onto the front windows, which help de-mist the part of window through which you see the ORVMs.
Old 24th July 2014, 23:42   #33
BHPian

My vote for the mobilio.

Advantages
1. The power to weight ratio is significantly higher.
2. Fun to drive ( I guess! )

Disadvantages
1. Price.
2. Price Again.

In our family, we don't really care about interiors. As long as everyone can sit, we are good to go. However, this is bad pricing from Honda. If the pricing was at par with the Ertiga, I would definitely recommend the Mobilio.
For someone who is paying 10L, they should get the same levels of comfort as other cars in the segment!
Old 24th July 2014, 23:45   #34

Honda Mobilio V/s Chevrolet Enjoy

I know a thing or two about cars, but I need some advice. We need a car that can double up as family tourer.
  • Mobilio is overpriced, but may very well suit the needs.
  • We can live with not-so-great interiors, but not cramped space.
  • Needed ~100bhp & Top of Line variant.
  • ABS, Airbags are MUST and Alloys & Captain seats would be Great!
Ertiga : Extended family has one, and when travelling together, that second row adjustment honestly makes both 2nd & 3rd row occupants feel abit cramped. Its not bad, but just about ok - this isn't good enough for me. It really isn't very enjoyable during tours. 3 Kids happily fit in the 3rd Row, but they get abit cranky after a while (they want to see the road, the 3rd Row side windows aren't big enough & being seated together for a LONG time they often end up having fought over something) and also IMPO, its terribly unsafe incase of an untoward event. Old, short, in-laws too complain post 2 hours.

We end up suffering in silence during tours that were primarily meant for us to have a break!
  • Petrol 94BHP seemed quite good from our test drive experience.
  • Diesel 88BHP is surprisingly sufficient when a driver drove it once. But I find it difficult to drive with that abrupt splurt at 1900RPM.
  • Maruti doesn't even offer AMT. If they can attach it to the Celerio, why not Ertiga?
Innova :
  • Can seat everyone comfortably, but IMO Interiors of base variant are not acceptable.
  • No safety features for the kind of money we're willing to spend.
  • Power is sufficient, we strictly don't want to go above 120kmph, ever.
  • A 6th Gear would've been great since engine sound dampening isn't good post 100kmph. In-Cabin noise isn't well controlled.
They say Innova's can do 2-3 lakh kms without issues. Maybe but how many of us want to travel SO much? And then apparently there is another facelift coming by next year too. So I don't see good resale after 6-7years for such an old car (GOD its terribly overpriced now).

So based on my requirements, I found that in almost every aspect, Chevrolet Enjoy Petrol *could* do. It is 7.1L Ex-SR, ToL variant.
100BHP Mobilio Diesel ToL variant is 9.76L Ex-SR. Thats ~2.7L (even without considering discounts Chevrolet may offer).
I don't think we'll come close to recovering even 25% of that.
Also, at 8.76L, Petrol Mobilio is ~1.76L more, its just has 14BHP & 15NM of Torque more, but considering bhp/tonne, its 1.5Times more powerful than Enjoy. (Wish they had given Mobilio a 6-speed transmission, would've chosen it eyes closed).

Q)Is the Mobilio worth the ~2L (OTR) premium considering the slightly better PtW Ratio?
Q)Is there anything grossly wrong with Chevrolet 'Brand' ? (We aren't insecure about 'Taxi image'.)

NB :
  • Little less torque in Petrol Enjoy is OK.
  • Mileage matters only for driving-range - Diesel is not THAT cheap any longer.
  • GC doesn't matter much (our friend put some plastic ring buffer in between the suspension springs of his Civic, and says that it greatly helps).
Again, budget is no real issue, but we can surely do without spending un-necessarily.
Carwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 23:51   #35
BHPian

Well the Mobilio would have been surely worth the premium if at least Honda would have made an attempt to tweak out the dashboard a little and maybe throw in a 6th gear?

That said even bringing about a change in the fornt headlights compared to its younger sibbling, a little La Ertiga like?
Ohh well, lets hope it does come in the facelift

Also by adding a few minor things like maybe a front seat arm rest. And yes a climate control, considering the fact that Ertiga does get it on the zxi/di variants despite having a 1.5 lakh lower tag
Old 24th July 2014, 23:56   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Ertiga it is for me too.

One more point, these Honda dashboards do not have those extra AC vents which throw air onto the front windows, which help de-mist the part of window through which you see the ORVMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
My vote for the mobilio.

Advantages
1. The power to weight ratio is significantly higher.
2. Fun to drive ( I guess! )

For someone who is paying 10L, they should get the same levels of comfort as other cars in the segment!
+1

The pricing : interior standards : features doesn't match at all.

The Mobilio is a built-to-cost car just for the mass market types. I get a feeling that Honda has made a car like Indicab from the Indica, Dzire Tour from the Dzire.

Very basic looking interiors with glaring feature omissions is just not acceptable when one is paying 10L.

-------------------------------------------

Poll results so far:

Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga-e.jpg

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 00:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Based on the comprehensive reviews it feels like Honda Mobilio has gone the Etios way with thin body panels, sub-par interiors and bare basic equipment level.
Honda’s pricing is too steep to justify its strengths- decent rear design, engine and space.
In my opinion Maruti should now bring in automatic variants AMT/CVT’s to further strengthen its product positioning.
Old 25th July 2014, 00:19   #38

Yes there should have been an option "None of the above". While totally disappointed with the quality on offer in Mobilio (as a happy customer of Honda for years), Ertiga also is not a choice for me. Had some experience with Ertiga on highway. Was a real pain while overtaking, and the lack of space inside was a big problem.

Dreaming about a City based MPV in this price point (or may be a little higher), with all that up market quality that was always expected from Honda.
fais123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 00:20   #39
BHPian

i own an Eritiga hence i may be biased. But i love the interiors and overall interior arrangement. The quality of the materials also is quite good for the price. I am yet to see the Mobilio but going by the photos i simply dont like the interiors and the overly done curves.
Old 25th July 2014, 00:34   #40
BHPian

I dont really understand the statement Mobilio Diesel has a better engine. Just because of rated power?
Talking of drivability I have climbed the famous Wayanad hairpins on my Ertiga Diesel in 3rd and 4th gear effortlessly. This lag people call is very minimal unlike the earlier Swifts.

We are comparing a rather new Honda Dtec to a once World No.1 MJD. An engine doesnt become world no 1 just like that. As soon as test drives are available people here should go and test drive the Mobilio. The reason why I say this is because even in the City Dtec(supposedly more premium to Mobilio) I never felt like driving a refined engine and missed the turbo "punch" too. Ertiga on the other hand feels and vibrates like a petrol engine most times incl. the revvy nature.

Bottomline to me is Maruti's best product simply beats Honda's average product.

- An MJD fan.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 25th July 2014 at 00:43.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 00:52   #41
BHPian

Honda's done a Jazz here!! They had a winner on their hands which they've (I think) wasted. It seemed like a well balanced package barring a few aspects (the lower seating, ultra thin front seats with fixed head rests, spartan interior feel) all of which one forgive. The variant placement and pricing seems oh so wrong. Either that or it a well though out strategy to keep out the commercial use buyers. Lets wait and watch.
Old 25th July 2014, 01:37   #42
BHPian

My vote goes to Mobilio. It has a better petrol engine, although the diesel needs to be quieter. Also, the room inside Mobilio is more than that in Ertiga. Somehow, the last two rows of Ertiga are designed to be an ergonomic failure. I mean, come on Suzuki personnel, how on earth would any carmaker fail to see this big error which is when one folds down the 3rd row, the 2nd row's space suffers. This breaks the deal for me.

Although, the thin sheet metal construction of Mobilio might not be much safer than Ertiga. But this can only be cleared out once the authorities get this car crash-tested (which might not happen any time soon).
Old 25th July 2014, 01:47   #43
BHPian

My vote for the Ertiga. Not because Eritga is a great car, but because Honda has priced the Brio "XL" insanely. A stretched Brio should not have been so expensive. They are neither feature rich, nor is the quality any better than a Brio. Cost cutting is evident and those seats look pathetic for a 10L car. Honda, you cannot loot Indians anymore. The poll result really shows that people are taking a note of what you are doing.

Honda could get decent numbers with the Brio because it was a budget hatch. Many did not care about quality as much as the Honda brand. But when someone pays 10L, they expect more. And you know it better. You have a decent car called Honda city and earlier had one called Civic. Both were worth the price. But Brio ?? He he... I'd rather put my money on Ertiga even though it struggles on inclines with a full load. That struggle is worth going through once in a while when I can save 1.5L INR and drive around in a similar car with good ASS.
Old 25th July 2014, 02:33   #44
BHPian

My vote for the Ertiga reasons:
1) Much better interior quality
2) Actual VFM proposition
3) Maruti reliability
4) Looks different from the Swift
5) Much better refinement levels from the diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Well the Mobilio would have been surely worth the premium if at least Honda would have made an attempt to tweak out the dashboard a little and maybe throw in a 6th gear?

That said even bringing about a change in the fornt headlights compared to its younger sibbling, a little La Ertiga like?
Ohh well, lets hope it does come in the facelift

Also by adding a few minor things like maybe a front seat arm rest. And yes a climate control, considering the fact that Ertiga does get it on the zxi/di variants despite having a 1.5 lakh lower tag

AFAIK, the Ertiga doesn't get climate control even on the top end zxi/zdi trim.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 03:48   #45
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio V/s Chevrolet Enjoy

1. If you are considering petrol, Honda engine is very good and reliable when compared to Chevrolet. My 2004 Honda City till date runs flawlessly. So only I can assure this.

2. IIRC, Enjoy is like Alto in China w.r.t. sales. I feel Chevrolet is lazy in promoting their products. I own Sail U-VA which indeed a competent car, but sales figures are talking otherwise. But one thing I must say is to expect some issues in the initials days if it is Chevrolet. For small small things you had to visit the service centers.

Thanks

Last edited by rnidumolu : 25th July 2014 at 03:50. Reason: spell correction
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks