Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 12:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

Some interesting facts from the first page of the official review (all figures in mm). I am only considering the part time 7 seaters here:

Length: Mobilio (4386), Ertiga (4265), Enjoy (4305), Evalia (4400)

The Ertiga is the car with the least length here - which translates into the most cramped one, right?

Now, here is what is interesting:

Wheelbase: Mobilio (2652), Ertiga (2740), Enjoy (2720), Evalia (2725)

The Ertiga (with the longest wheelbase) has a wheelbase which is a whopping 88 mm longer than the wheelbase of the Mobilio (which has the shortest wheelbase) amongst the four.

More interesting:

Width: Mobilio (1683), Ertiga (1695), Enjoy (1680), Evalia (1700)

The Evalia (the widest) is a mere 5 mm wider than the Ertiga (the second widest) which in turn is a meaningful 12 mm wider than the Mobilio.

You are free to draw your own conclusions. Now, go figure

Last edited by Babuda : 25th July 2014 at 12:43.
Babuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 13:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Honda's economy platform is not expensive - if Amaze Vs DZire is a yardstick.
The engines are not All-New ones - no royalty to be paid too ( unlike the Ertiga's engine )
The interiors are not where Honda has spend the money - For sure this!
The Mobilio should have quite a significant amount of localized content
The Mobilio has NVH worthy of a taxi segment targeted car only...

I see no rationale behind the flawed pricing of the Mobilio, maybe, is it just greed from Honda then?
Old 25th July 2014, 13:16   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xTKB View Post
I mean, come on Suzuki personnel, how on earth would any carmaker fail to see this big error which is when one folds down the 3rd row, the 2nd row's space suffers. This breaks the deal for me.
Ertiga is being wrongly evaluated here. When you fold the third row, if we remove the head restraints, 2nd row gets "more" leg room. I emphasize on "more" because even the "less" it is not a deal breaker in any case.

I have been using my vehicle extensively with 4,5,6 and even 8 people on board and the best being 8 people with 3 kids!!! Never once anyone complained about leg room.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 25th July 2014 at 13:24.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:22   #64
Team-BHP Support

As things stand, I would actually choose neither. Ertiga can give all the discounts they want but its a deal breaker for me on account of a few things:

1. Last seat doesn't split.
2. Very awkward access to 3rd row.
3. The general interplay between 2nd row and 3rd row movement space is not optimal. I really like the way the Mobilio handles the movement & dropping of seats etc in contrast.

To me, these are all essential aspects and this baby 7 seater product is simply not required by me with all the above shortcomings. I may as well instead own a similar priced sedan. If I HAD TO purchase one of these two and nothing else with a gun on my head (unrealistic of course), I'd pick the Mobilio despite being miffed at the excessive premium they're charging. Simply because ergonomically and space wise it meets my 7 seater requirements much better. Some of the interior aspects that are bothersome are also easier to change through after market.

In a real world scenario though, I'd probably simply plonk more money (by waiting and saving longer if need be) and buy the Innova. That would sort my requirements once and for all and for a long time to come. But then understandably every one can't simply pick that route of course.

Alternately, I would actually also wait for the Mobilio to change some of the shortcomings over its periodic facelifts. That might hit the sweet spot. For that reason, I have picked the Mobilio as my option in this poll. Because come what may I would not buy Ertiga.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio V/s Chevrolet Enjoy

Have mostly heard of only Enjoy diesels among that I don't see any major red flags really. The initial ownerships here in the forum and outside are positive.

I'd have suggested Aria or Xylo, but those would shoot up your budget given the fact that you are considering a Petrol Enjoy.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 13:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I am a firm believer of value for money. IMO, majority of the prospective owners of these vehicles will not have 7 people to ferry every time and hence the premium demanded by Honda for a little bit more leg room / boot space is very optimistic to say the least.

Ertiga is clearly the winner for me. If Honda were to launch Mobilio at say Rs 50K lower than Ertiga Variant to variant, then I would have gone for Honda. They needed to do that to get respectable numbers when its a Maurti Best Seller they are up against.
I guess you said it !! We need to understand that Ertiga, Mobilio are not 7 seater but they are basically 5 + 2 seater, that too not on daily basis. So for occasional trips people can adjust or can hire a bigger car. So Ertiga becomes VFM here. Also Honda has done some glaring cost cutting that is not at all acceptable to people are coming for Brand Honda. We will get real picture only after few months if people has accepted it or not.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:03   #67
BHPian

Ertiga it is.

Like I had mentioned in the Mobilio review thread, Honda is asking for ~7 lacs more than the Brio for just one more row of seats. Totally unjustified.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:44   #68
BHPian

I think Honda got too complacent after two big hits, i.e., Amaze and City.
Hence this funny pricing.

I just hope that their Mobilio pricing debacle brings them back to ground reality, and they price the Jazz competitively.
I am sure there are many folks who want to be Jazzed sooo much, just like me.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:47   #69
BHPian

@Carwali Have you tried a test drive of the Enjoy petrol? My test experience was very underwhelming. But I have heard mostly good things about Chevrolet ownership with Aveo, Spark, etc. The Chinese-origin Sail & Enjoy may not be too different.

Any well-rounded individual will definitely overflow the Enjoy's captain seats; they are like these new airline seats, narrower & thinner but with no loss of comfort. But they are narrower; I am not that well-rounded myself, but the seats were only a snug fit.

And the petrol is *very* noisy & very under-powered. Highway cruising won't be all pleasant. If the diesel is within reach, you might be better off prefering that over the petrol.
yatin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:14   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*UPDATE* : Paragsachania's awesome comparo of the Mobilio & Ertiga has been added to the opening page. Thanks for sharing, man!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 17:37   #71
BHPian

Voted for Ertiga. Looks like Honda has not learned much from the Jazz experience with respect to pricing. I was very much interested in Mobilio and it could have become my next car. Now Ertiga provides more value for money.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:49   #72

Looks like its best time for Hyundai to jump into the party, purely for the following reasons:
1. Considering both Ertiga and Mobilio, their interiors are ought to be better (keeping Hyundai's history in mind)
2. They are always good at pricing their products.
3. After Maruti after-sales, it is Hyundai which enjos the most confidence among the crowd in India.
4. In 90% of the cases, their cars are more pleasure to look at than the competitors.

Come on Hyundai, bring some competition to the park
liv_2_drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 18:07   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv_2_drive View Post
Looks like its best time for Hyundai to jump into the party, purely for the following reasons:

1. Considering both Ertiga and Mobilio, their interiors are ought to be better (keeping Hyundai's history in mind)

2. They are always good at pricing their products.

3. After Maruti after-sales, it is Hyundai which enjos the most confidence among the crowd in India.

4. In 90% of the cases, their cars are more pleasure to look at than the competitors.

Come on Hyundai, bring some competition to the park

Excellent point. They can study the two cars and custom create a product that provides the best possible combination of required features, flexibility, looks, service peace of mind and right pricing. And given their track record and skill sets this is not something they cannot achieve.

Their typical down sides are poor handling, dull to drive and not the best ride quality.

They'll only have to make extra effort on getting the ride quality right. The other two aspects in this segment of car should not be deal breakers.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 18:08   #74
BHPian

@Carwali : I think Mobilio is the one for you.

1. You need a seven seater with ample space in 2nd and 3rd row, and as it looks like kids will occupy 3rd seat mostly the lack of under thigh support as compared to Ertiga should not be an issue.

2. 3rd row gets better windows and visibility, overall less claustrophobic.

3. Mobilio has structurally safer rear than the Ertiga.

4. Boot has more liters, comes handy while touring.

Don't worry about the 2L more than Ertiga, Mobilio will suit your needs.
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 19:31   #75
BHPian

If you are open to look at other options, do consider Xylo Top End, yes bit expensive compared to the 2, but you get decent safety features, all 7 can sit comfortable while driven ~100Kmph.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks