Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 20:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sub 20-Lakh SUV

Hi,

Can any of you guide me towards choosing a sub 20 lakh SUV to be purchased in India, for Indian roads?

Which ones can be purchased brand new...and are worth the buy? Why?

Which can be purchased second hand...including imported SUVs?

Power, refinement, luxury and the ability to tackle Indian roads is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Old 26th July 2006, 20:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan
Hi,

Can any of you guide me towards choosing a sub 20 lakh SUV to be purchased in India, for Indian roads?

Which ones can be purchased brand new...and are worth the buy? Why?

Which can be purchased second hand...including imported SUVs?

Power, refinement, luxury and the ability to tackle Indian roads is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Moving back?

Hyundai Terracan, 2nd hand. Add one of Pete's little things onto it.
Old 26th July 2006, 20:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ooooohh welcome to the pet peeve of Indian motorists looking for an SUV in that budget!! Your options are not only limited but even among them you can't have all the qualities that you listed! I believe there was a huge discussion on this some time back when GTO was looking for an SUV in a similar price range & even in that thread there was a lot of frustation on the non-availability of a good product in that price range.

Frankly your options are limited to:

Honda CR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Ford Endeavour
Safari Dichor
Scorpio (Top End model)

I would vote the Scorpio & Safari out for being not in the same class performance, quality, reliability etc. wise from the others. Then the Endeavour is over-weight, is sluggish, has an outdated engine & poor back seats.

That leaves you with the Tucson & the CR-V. The CR-V as we know is a soft-roader & is petrol powered, and you very well know what prices petrol is at today! The Tucson on the other hand is slightly better as a off-road tool too but it doesn't have too much space either.

All in all it's a limited & tough choice. As for second-hand vehicles if you can get your hands on a Hyundai Terracan (post-facelift model preferrably) that should be one hell of a deal!! It has decent space, a good engine & looks rather Butch too!!

P.S. Here's GTO's thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rfect-suv.html
Old 26th July 2006, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Moving back?

Hyundai Terracan, 2nd hand. Add one of Pete's little things onto it.
Folks'll be moving back, not myself. Hmm, the Terracan has a bit of an oddball appearance. I never liked the look of it. Mainly the weird front and rear end...

Good car though, from what I've heard...
Old 26th July 2006, 20:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Ooooohh welcome to the pet peeve of Indian motorists looking for an SUV in that budget!! Your options are not only limited but even among them you can't have all the qualities that you listed! I believe there was a huge discussion on this some time back when GTO was looking for an SUV in a similar price range & even in that thread there was a lot of frustation on the non-availability of a good product in that price range.

Honda CR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Ford Endeavour
Safari Dichor
Scorpio (Top End model)

I would vote the Scorpio & Safari out for being not in the same class performance, quality, reliability etc. wise from the others. Then the Endeavour is over-weight, is sluggish, has an outdated engine & poor back seats.

That leaves you with the Tucson & the CR-V. The CR-V as we know is a soft-roader & is petrol powered, and you very well know what prices petrol is at today! The Tucson on the other hand is slightly better as a off-road tool too but it doesn't have too much space either.

All in all it's a limited & tough choice. As for second-hand vehicles if you can get your hands on a Hyundai Terracan (post-facelift model preferrably) that should be one hell of a deal!! It has decent space, a good engine & looks rather Butch too!!

Thanks, that was very informative. I shall give it a little thought for a short while...
Old 26th July 2006, 20:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava

Honda CR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Ford Endeavour
Safari Dichor
Scorpio (Top End model)

very well put .... best option ,,,, hmmm get an svu and then do up the engine
Old 26th July 2006, 22:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Subaru errr... Chevy Forester was/is the best sub 20 L SUV in India if you are not worried about the looks or the resale value. It's off road capabilities dwarf every other SUV in India. Its definitely not the luxurious kinda SUV but if the driving pleasure is what you are after, it is the best. Not sure if GM is still selling it. A used one would be good if the owers are willing to part with it.
Old 27th July 2006, 09:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Within 20 lacs, I would suggest:

1. A second hand Pajero or Land Cruiser.

2. The new "Old" Pajero which HM is selling. Its a bit outdated but very capable.

GTO
Old 27th July 2006, 10:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
2. The new "Old" Pajero which HM is selling. Its a bit outdated but very capable.
I think the 2.8L engine in the 'Old' Pajero is still not BS-III compliant - which would make it tough to get it registered in the metro's.
Old 27th July 2006, 11:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks'll be moving back, not myself. Hmm, the Terracan has a bit of an oddball appearance. I never liked the look of it. Mainly the weird front and rear end...

Good car though, from what I've heard...
Seen some very nice mods on that weird front end that actually makes it look pretty neat (not snazzy, but not ugly either).

With its terrific engine, I would consider the Terracan to be a good option anyday. Pulls like a locomotive.
Old 27th July 2006, 11:26   #11
BANNED

I'm not really impressed with the ground clearance of the Terracan. Don't know how good it will be off road, as a result.

The rest of the car looks like a damn good package though.
Old 27th July 2006, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Within 20 lacs, I would suggest:

1. A second hand Pajero or Land Cruiser.

GTO
Yes, the above mentioned imported marques are somewhat appealing, and pretty much what I had in mind, when it comes to purchasing imported second-hand SUVs in India. I would've loved to have one imported, but the hassle, the mindless duty and the sheer effort required to carry out this mammoth task is a total turn-off.

The Old Generation Pajero sold as new in India is incredibly stock, but a very decent car when it comes to surviving on Indian roads. It may fall short in the luxury factor.
Does anyone know how much it costs on-road Delhi/Bombay?

Thanks.
Old 27th July 2006, 14:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I think the 2.8L engine in the 'Old' Pajero is still not BS-III compliant - which would make it tough to get it registered in the metro's.
Interesting point, I am unaware of this. If that is the case, how can they afford to sell it on the market?

Plus, the fact that it isn't the Intercooled 3.0L V6 Turbo engine, is also a little disheartening.
Old 27th July 2006, 14:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Seen some very nice mods on that weird front end that actually makes it look pretty neat (not snazzy, but not ugly either).

With its terrific engine, I would consider the Terracan to be a good option anyday. Pulls like a locomotive.
Not bad, I admit it's not a bad car at all. It's just that I found the looks very confused, but I guess I'll have to check one out up close to see how it feels.
Old 27th July 2006, 16:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not bad, I admit it's not a bad car at all. It's just that I found the looks very confused, but I guess I'll have to check one out up close to see how it feels.
2 things you need to bear in mind:

1. Terracan is no longer being sold by Hyundai in India. Spares, though, should not be a problem with Hyundai.

2. It is probably being replaced by the new Santa Fe in other parts of the world. I test drove one recently and it had superb road manners for a proper 7-seater (unfortunately only got to test the 2.7 litre V6 version which is not upto scratch on such a big vehicle). Therefore its quite likely that you're buying an out-of-production model. Engine options for the Santa Fe include a 3.3 litre V6 and 2.2 & 2.5 litre CRDi VGTs. They also have this 2.9 litre VGT - not sure if it will be offered with the Santa Fe or is marked for a new Terracan.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th July 2006 at 16:04.

Most Viewed