Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 19:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A 2010 GV 2.4 which has done only 30,000km is way superior to new Storme or XUV. Since I have a 85,000km run 2007 GV 2.0, I may be biased.
Thanks Samurai. I was also looking at picking up a used GV 2.0. I am glad to hear that spares have never been an issue to you in Bangalore. How is the GV returning on Fuel Economy at 80K? Did you face any hitch on vehicle electronics or sensors so far considering your car is 7 years old? Any other major repair costs on you other than the regular PM service?
Old 14th September 2014, 20:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Thanks Samurai. I was also looking at picking up a used GV 2.0. I am glad to hear that spares have never been an issue to you in Bangalore. How is the GV returning on Fuel Economy at 80K? Did you face any hitch on vehicle electronics or sensors so far considering your car is 7 years old? Any other major repair costs on you other than the regular PM service?
If you can, try picking up a 2.4L version. Apart from bigger alloys, the motor itself had a huge bump in power pushing the performance of the GV from "adequate" to "nuclear powered" The extra torque also means that you mash the throttle less to maintain or reach certain speeds thus this motor also enables better fuel economy. You can easily find a good one for 6 lacs
Old 14th September 2014, 20:59   #48
BHPian

@sanjusahu,

You mean your 2.4 GV gives u 14/15 km/liters? If that is the case then, I will buy 2.4 GV, I am usually sedate driver and I like to keep within 80-100 km, unless I am in hurry.

The Santa Fe I had confirmed got sold to another guy who gave 1 lac more. Though I had booked it, the seller got more and sold to another one without informing me. It was in paint shop painting as the diplomatic mission's logo needed to be wiped out.

Using India registered vehicle is not practical as you are allowed certain period after which you need to take it India and then get another new permission.

Last edited by nepalken : 14th September 2014 at 21:27. Reason: remembered something to add
Old 14th September 2014, 21:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
@sanjusahu,

You mean your 2.4 GV gives u 14/15 km/liters? If that is the case then, I will buy 2.4 GV, I am usually sedate driver and I like to keep within 80-100 km, unless I am in hurry.

I have the 2.0 GV bought in Feb 2014 with an ODO of 58k, buts yes on highway with an average of 60-80 its gives me 14, let me take pic sometime i am down on then highway , with a neck to neck traffice i get a flat 10kmpl.

from the time i have bought the only money i have spent is the lubricants and the petrol,
Old 14th September 2014, 22:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaysaw View Post
I would most certainly recommend a Storme. I have 2 and both have covered approximately 20k kms without any problems. Covered under the Gold AMC (availability in Nepal?), i have not paid a single rupee for service thus far and also have driven from Delhi to Aurangabad in a single stretch without any problems. My ownership report goes on soon but in the meanwhile heres a teaser of how the one I'm driving today looks like... (with a lift kit, bigger tyres and a wrap)

Your Storme looks Fantastic!!

Just a few questions:
1. What tire size are you running
2. How many inches of lift
3. Can we please have more pictures
Thanks!
Old 14th September 2014, 22:45   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I am using a Grand Vitara 2008 model for last 6 yrs. The reading on the ODO is 141000+ Kms and I did not have any major issues except for break shoe and wiper blades replacement, issues with exhaust pipe clamp. Sometimes the parts are not available and it takes service station about 1 week to procure them.
Wow, yours must be the second highest run GV on the forum, next only to Sudev. One week wait for parts of a rarely sold vehicle is quite normal. Since GV never has breakdown, waiting for parts to arrive is not an issue. My workshop folks often give advance notice on worn out parts, saying it is good for another 5K, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
How is the GV returning on Fuel Economy at 80K? Did you face any hitch on vehicle electronics or sensors so far considering your car is 7 years old? Any other major repair costs on you other than the regular PM service?
The FE has remained constant in the last 30,000kms. It hovers between 11-12kmph depending on the roads. Other than replacing worn out suspensions parts due to frequent bad road driving, I have no other costs.

BTW, I am pleasantly surprised to see so many Grand Vitara owners replying here.

I just found there are over 40 Grand Vitara owners in Team-BHP.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, yours must be the second highest run GV on the forum, next only to Sudev. One week wait for parts of a rarely sold vehicle is quite normal. Since GV never has breakdown, waiting for parts to arrive is not an issue. My workshop folks often give advance notice on worn out parts, saying it is good for another 5K, etc.
up
In fact, your and Sudev experience with GV made me seal the decisionof buying a GV back then.

Agree with you that waiting for 1week is no issue as I never had a breakdown with GV. My workshop service advisor also informs me about the parts that might need to replaced in the next service.
sureshurs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 01:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:

The FE has remained constant in the last 30,000kms. It hovers between 11-12kmph depending on the roads. Other than replacing worn out suspensions parts due to frequent bad road driving, I have no other costs.

BTW, I am pleasantly surprised to see so many Grand Vitara owners replying here.

Samurai i have read almost all your threads , reviews and experience before buying my gv so thanks and keep posting, just looking out for any gv groups in mumbai or india that i can join in
sanjusahu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 13:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:

I regularly see about 4 other GVs near where I live and work. Call it coincidence of weird nature, there are 3 GV owners close to where I live and I see another one at my workplace. I do not think its hard to spot GVs flying about here and there. True they may not be as common as many other vehicles but they are still there while with a commanding road presence unlike most other vehicles. Among all other contemporary UVs, I feel GV and Tata Xenon offer the most commanding road presence. Oh boy, did I just aided and abetted a bigger controversy

Its just my personal feeling though and yes it may be biased to an extent
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:

hey samurai, how can i find those 40 Vitara owners in Team-BHP,
Old 15th September 2014, 16:32   #56
BHPian

Today on the way to one of the meetings, I dropped by Mahindra showroom and test drove XUV 500 W4.

My impressions; no AWD or 4WD. Looks spacious and but did not like the driver position. I had high hopes but I was bit disappointed.

Until turbo kicked in, I could not feel the engine response. I wonder whether it has VGT or regular Turbo? I had driven SSyangyong Actyon diesel, D20T, the power delivery and response from the engine was linear and petrol like.

Perhaps Mahindra has not figured out what Mercedes people have figured out in terms of diesel engines.

Mahindra XUV500 W4= No go for me.
Old 15th September 2014, 16:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

After reading Sudev's and Samurai's thread, i had made up my mind to get a used GV. After reading other owners reporting the same confidence on the reliability i am all the more happy with my choice. I have been hunting since the last 2 weeks and i would want to pick up the 2.4L version if i can get one. I could only find the 2.0L versions for sale in Mumbai.

My friend told me of a couple of 2.4L GVs but those are out of state vehicles so i am wondering whether it would be worth paying a substantial amount on Road Tax(7%) plus Octroi (4.5%) in Mumbai. The Road Tax would be calculated by the RTO on the Depreciated Cost. So a 2010 vehicle costing around 19 Lakhs when purchased would have a depreciated cost of around 8 Lakhs (at 20% depreciation) and the Road Tax plus Octroi put together would come to around 90k. Not sure if its worth doing that or wait for a Mumbai vehicle to fall in my lap.
Old 15th September 2014, 16:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
After reading Sudev's and Samurai's thread, i had made up my mind to get a used GV. After reading other owners reporting the same confidence on the reliability i am all the more happy with my choice. I have been hunting since the last 2 weeks and i would want to pick up the 2.4L version if i can get one. I could only find the 2.0L versions for sale in Mumbai.

My friend told me of a couple of 2.4L GVs but those are out of state vehicles so i am wondering whether it would be worth paying a substantial amount on Road Tax(7%) plus Octroi (4.5%) in Mumbai. The Road Tax would be calculated by the RTO on the Depreciated Cost. So a 2010 vehicle costing around 19 Lakhs when purchased would have a depreciated cost of around 8 Lakhs (at 20% depreciation) and the Road Tax plus Octroi put together would come to around 90k. Not sure if its worth doing that or wait for a Mumbai vehicle to fall in my lap.
Not too many u would find 2.4 in mumbai, i hunted for 2 months didnt find any too so finally bought a 58k run single owner 2.0 GV. which is running great i am put up at andheri anytime..you need any help finding one... i can try to help.

Sanju
sanjusahu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 19:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjusahu View Post
Not too many u would find 2.4 in mumbai, i hunted for 2 months didnt find any too so finally bought a 58k run single owner 2.0 GV. which is running great i am put up at andheri anytime..you need any help finding one... i can try to help.

Sanju
Thanks for the offer to help Sanju. Where are you put up in Andheri. I have never seen a GV up close. Would be great if i can check out your GV. Since you have the 2.0L version, do you feel its sluggish or not a fast mover on the highways. Within Mumbai, anyways the speeds dont go beyond 40kmph (60kmph if you get lucky) so i dont care much for in city driving.

Would be great if you could share your views.

And i wouldnt dare ask about how it handles Mumbai's cratered bad roads lest Samurai San comes running after me with his sword as he has consistently mentioned that the GV is an awesome bad roader.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Within Mumbai, anyways the speeds dont go beyond 40kmph (60kmph if you get lucky) so i dont care much for in city driving.
It is not that great for city driving, but great for highway and bad roads.

Two bad road examples: [Watch in HD]

Last edited by Samurai : 15th September 2014 at 22:45.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed