Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 09:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Seeing your list I would neither suggest the Vitara nor the Safari Storme but the XUV 500 or else the new refreshed Scorpio that is to enter the market in a month or so.
The current Scorpio handle's nowhere near Storme which in turn is worse off compared to GV. I can't see how Mahindra can suddenly make it outhandle everything else in the market. A ladder chassis based SUV can only 'handle' so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Vitara is not selling at all especially in India - do not know about Nepal. Hence, it may be tough to procure spares if needed urgently at any point of time. Moreover, it has no USP other than its ride quality and handling to qualify it as a very good buy. It has also done 70,000 kms.
Vitara is not selling because it comes with a petrol engine only and not because the car itself has issues. The poster already said, fuel pricing or economy is not an issue. It has good performance, ride and handles well, is reliable and it better than both Storme and Scorpio offroad, I wonder what other USP are you looking for?
And correction - it has done only 30,000 kms.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
I have short listed the following

2010 GV 2.4--- 30,000 km
Safari-Storme-- New
Mahindra XUV 500- W4--- New

These have almost identical pricing of around 30 lacs INR.
Confused. Why would 2nd hand GV have 30 lacs as price? I know one 2.4GV on OLX - or something similar - sitting in GOA with about 30k on odo with asking price or 7.5 lac. A 2008-2.0GV in Delhi with asking of 4.5lacs.

Anything I (or Samurai) may add will be held against us on account of being partial.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Confused. Why would 2nd hand GV have 30 lacs as price? I know one 2.4GV on OLX - or something similar - sitting in GOA with about 30k on odo with asking price or 7.5 lac. A 2008-2.0GV in Delhi with asking of 4.5lacs.

Anything I (or Samurai) may add will be held against us on account of being partial.
Sudev thats Nepalese market he is talking about and car's are expensive there.
Old 10th September 2014, 12:59   #19
BHPian

Sudev,

Custom plus other taxes= 240% +actual value of car.

No wonder Alto K10 VXI costs= 10.5 lacs INR in Nepal (brand new)
nepalken is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Grand Vitara is a solid choice. The XUV may outdo it in terms of features offered and the Storme's soft suspension might give it better ride quality. However, the GV is the more complete, robust and reliable product.

When it comes to reliability, I have not heard of anyone getting engine overhauls on their Grand Vitaras. Samurai has clocked several kilometers on his and that includes bad roads. The car comes out unshaken. Also, I own a Kizashi and its block and gearbox can handle power in excess of 500 horses. The GV uses the same engine and so it is performing well within its limits with no reliability concerns anywhere on the globe.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 15:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP: So even if you get a good deal on a used GV in India you will stay custom duty on original price? That's extortion.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:11   #22
BHPian

@Sudev,

We cannot import any used vehicle. It was stopped some 15 years ago. Daylight robbery here. We can use indian vehicle here in Nepal for permission around 500 INR per day, I am not so sure.

But one thing I am hopeful is that since spares are available in India, it could be easier for me to get it from India and from other countries. So if I happen to buy GV, I hope spares can be sourced from Delhi.

I heard many consumables like filters and others can be used from SX4. I have never seen a SX4 in Nepal.

Last edited by nepalken : 10th September 2014 at 15:16.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:22   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
@teamveevee,

TATA has better service network but a lot of local mechanics are familiar with Mahindra but I think they mostly know more about lower end like Bolero, any thing that involves electronics, the mechanics usually don't have clue..
If the roads in your area are bad, and you intend to keep vehicle for 10 years, go for the Vitara
If you intend to sell after 5-6 years, go for the Mahindra/Tata
As you can see Sudev and Samurai's thread, their GVs do bad roads, and go on and on.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 21:15   #24
BHPian

Today I cancelled the STORME booking.

I drove the vitara extensively in bad road in high speed, the handling was superb, no rattling no squeaks, the fulltime AWD gave peace of mind.

I test drove another 2009 Santa Fe diesel in the same bad road. The passengers said that ride comfort on Santa Fe was better but me being driver, felt that Vitara was better to drive as the steering gave a solid feedback and agility was much better than Santa Fe.

The deal did not work out as the owner did not budge from 31 lacs INR, whereas I insisted on 28 lacs INR.

I have asked him to call me if wants to lower is rate.

Meanwhile a good friend of mine referred to me a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 diesel Automatic 2008, 63,000 kms clocked. The car was used by Diplomat. The guy wants 26.25 lacs INR. This Santa Fe has 10 airbags and ESP as well. However, this lacks low-range in the tranny.

Now my heart is divided into Vitara and this Santa Fe. Having options, and having minds and hearts is a difficult thing, hehe.
Old 11th September 2014, 21:27   #25
BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

I would go with the GV all the way compared to all the other options spoken of in the thread. I am living with the 2008 2.0L GV and I would not replace it with a Storme or a Santa Fe.

Impressions against the other options you picked:
Storme-I wouldn't go for a Tata product over a Jap product. I believe they have miles to go before they can achieve the maturity of the Japanese. At the end of it all, Pedigree and all that comes with it makes a considerable difference.
Santa Fe-I think its too much of a soft-roader. Even with the AWD, I think you would appreciate the low ratio of the GV, living in Nepal. I can say this because I have driven quite a bit in those areas and lived in similar terrains and part of the world.

WRT spares, Yes it would take dealers some time to order/procure it. If you take this into account and build up your own inventory, that would be the best approach to take. There are tons of stuff you can order/import from across the globe to maintain the GV. Its not a complicated vehicle so if you have a decent garage you can trust, they will, over time, be able to take care of the GV.

Which neatly bring me to my next point, Longevity. I would think the GV would outlast the others by a country mile and would take a lot more abuse all that time. Like a lot of others in the forum, I am driving a 6 yr old car, coming up to the ton, and there are no rattles, no issues, no nothing. Lately, I have been using it only on the weekends given that I am no longer in the rat race . It still starts up like always and takes a 500+ kms ride without a complaint. I believe this is a common impression from other owners.

The primary reason I got the GV was because of the low gearing-We love to camp and that invariably ends up with us finding a place totally isolated. Getting to these places usually involves no roads. You take off down a 'Pakhdandi' (goat path) and find this gorgeous opening where it ends at a cliff or at the water. I have used the low drive during some sticky situations, mostly in monsoons or a steep climb over grass and it has always delivered. Of course, it pays to know the limits of your vehicle but that's something I am going to assume you will know or learn.

Get good under-body protection, stock some spares, maybe upgrade the tyres and you have a vehicle which will be your faithful companion for many a mile.

A thought which came up later: How about the older Pajero? That's another vehicle that's pretty awesome for the driving you have up there. Sorry for bringing up another factor to the equation but it's a pretty good option.

PS: What is the INR price for the GV anyway? I cannot even imagine a 30L sticker price. I read the bit about the duties-what's the gentleman selling it for in India prices? If you don't mind, that is.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 11th September 2014 at 21:32.
Old 11th September 2014, 22:11   #26
BHPian

My Pick would be in the following priority:

1. Mahindra XUV 500
2. Tata Safari Storme
3. Grand Vitara

Between Mahindra and Tata, I would give priority to the After Sales. If Tata's ASS is better in your area, you can easily go for Tata. Same applies for Mahindra.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 22:24   #27
BHPian

Being in Nepal i would suggest you to not to buy such high mileage car. It's working fine right now, one has no idea about the actual wear and tear of the car. After few months you can need suspension overhaul, tyre replacement etc etc. When you are ready to shed amount for a 2nd hand car equivalent to a new XUV in Nepal, i would suggest you to go for a XUV.

With open roads in Nepal, less traffic even hilly terrain you will just love the power and handling of XUV. It won't let you down with your occasional encounter with bad roads too. You get many many safety and useful features too. You can even opt for Tuscon red colour which is quite famous in Nepal. When you are ready to invest so much ,go for a new one and not a for a car which has run 50k km and above. You have no idea how it has been maintained and on what kind of terrain it has been used.

Buy peace of mind. Just my two cents, rest listen to everyone but do what your mind and heart says.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 23:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

The GV is fairly simple and one can just never go wrong with it. Regardless of how it has been treated by the previous owner, they will so go on. Also, if you really intend on using these SUVs as SUVs occasionally like going off-road, none of the mentioned SUVs (safari, xuv, santa fe, tuscon) come anywhere close to it. The Suzuki is one quality mountain goat.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 08:48   #29
BHPian

Having driven 1st generation Vitara for 4 years and almost 70,000 kms in roads of Nepal. I know GV is thirsty but highly reliable. However, I couldn't agree on pricing with GV 2010.

I am still waiting to see if the seller would meet my price. One of the reason, he is not budging is because this is festive season (Dashain), equivalent to Diwali in India. People buy new cars or upgrade cars this time of the year.

Let's see if he decides to sell after few days.

I see few here vouching for XUV? XUV also does not have low gear. Is the build quality better than Korean Cars?

Thanks all for their feedback.
Old 12th September 2014, 09:59   #30
BHPian

Hi Nepalken,

I would suggest you to take Safari Storme as its a different vehicle all together. Moreover you will not have problem with spare parts.

Vitara is being phased out so spare part support will reduce in future. Also you have already driven one so would surely like a change.
XUV is a good car, but how is the dealership & coverage in Nepal ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks